I'm Contemplating Another Purple/violet Ink...

Dark Side

Even though you said you didn't like the Herbin, I really have to +1 Violette Pensee

On the more expensive side, I've really come to love Yama-Budo, though that is maybe a little too red for what you describe.

I really want to try the Iroshizuka but I don't dare, not at their cost and excellent reputation! :roflmho: I'm too poor to play with that financial fire.

Regarding J. Herbin inks, I've tried Violette Pensee, Poussiere de Lune, and Eclad de Saphir and honestly.. they're just too blah. Not enough spark in them, not to mention none of them were what I'd call really opaque except maybe Poussiere de Lune in the right pen. The inks themselves were well behaved and all, but the J. Herbin colors just aren't for me.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dark Side

• Trebster

• Alohamora

• antidote3

Even though you said you didn't like the Herbin, I really have to +1 Violette Pensee

On the more expensive side, I've really come to love Yama-Budo, though that is maybe a little too red for what you describe.

I really want to try the Iroshizuka but I don't dare, not at their cost and excellent reputation! :roflmho: I'm too poor to play with that financial fire.

Regarding J. Herbin inks, I've tried Violette Pensee, Poussiere de Lune, and Eclad de Saphir and honestly.. they're just too blah. Not enough spark in them, not to mention none of them were what I'd call really opaque except maybe Poussiere de Lune in the right pen. The inks themselves were well behaved and all, but the J. Herbin colors just aren't for me.

How much purple are you using? If it isn't alot, you could order several samples of Iroshizuka from Goulet. Like, for example, four vials of one color and four of another. Would last through several fills in your pen. I've done thisbefore for several colors I don't use alot and find that's an ideal solution instead of buying large bottles that would sit unused for awhile

Edited by tnmike1

Knoxville TN & Palm Coast FL

Noodler's La Reine Mauve is a lovely violet/purple. It's one of the bulletproof inks which makes it more expensive, maybe not justified if you don't actually need the water proof and everything-proof feature.

Mont Blanc Violet (aka Lavender Purple) is another great one, more violet than purple.

Sailor Ultramarine is great, definitely on the bluish side. I'm really impressed with the quality of all the Sailor inks I've tried.

And you all ready have another of my favorites, Pelikan Violet.

How much purple are you using? If it isn't alot, you could order several samples of Iroshizuka from Goulet. Like, for example, four vials of one color and four of another. Would last through several fills in your pen. I've done thisbefore for several colors I don't use alot and find that's an ideal solution instead of buying large bottles that would sit unused for awhile

I've considered doing this for the more expensive inks, but then I worry that I'll like it so much I'll use it a lot and then I'll be stuck buying a $30 bottle of ink, which I've already done once with Noodler's Kung Te-Cheng (though at least it's a 4.5 oz bottle rather than a 30ml :yikes: ). I could see myself getting drawn into Iroshizuka way too easily. :doh: My solution? Avoid them until I'm out of university and into a real paying job.

I keep hearing a lot about Montblanc Violet, next time I make a purchase from a site that carries this ink I'll have to order a bottle.

Private Reserve Plum looks like a darker version of Noodler's Eel Cactus Fruit, I may have to try that! Cactus Fruit is my all time favorite... fuchsia? pink? eye-searing color?

I ditto the Waterman purple. I use it in all my old pens and it looks different in each one, from the safety pen, lever filled, to piston (and each pen is a fine or extra fine point) but I love this ink and it's a comforting color to me.

I'm a fan of Montblanc Violet/Lavender Purple, which is redder than most purples I have and well-behaved as MB inks generally are.

PR Ebony Purple is a good ink to get if you want something that's really unlike anything else, too.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

• 5 months later...

And now there's the Goulet Pens exclusive, Noodler's Purple Heart - it's marketed as a lubricating ink.

"Luxe, calme et volupte"

I bought de Altamentis Vanilla ink for the scent but it really doesn't smell much at all! I thought "Phffffft" on the color but I fell in love! that is a wonder because I don't like most purple inks. It's a dark and very desaturated purple tending more to the indigo than the red side. Practically no shading whatsoever. For some reason I can't get enough of it.

Edited by Fabienne

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

PR DC Super Violet is a wonderful purple/violet. It's a limited edition, but a couple retailers still seem to have some in stock.

PR DC Super Violet is a wonderful purple/violet. It's a limited edition, but a couple retailers still seem to have some in stock.

I bought two bottles of this! I like it so much I'm actually selling the bottle of Baystate Concord Grape I bought a few weeks before Super Violet came out. Now, of course, I'm also looking at the Goulet exclusive.

+1 for the PR DC Super Violet. I love it a lot. I guess I need to get a few more bottles while it's still out there.... :rolleyes:

Foo! So many pens and inks, so little money....

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png fpn_1323303417__postcrossing_button.gif

A deep, luscious behaving lavender with good saturation: MB Lavender

Dusky purple grey that is a ltitle unusual - J'Herbin Poussiere de lune

Bright, vivid, pops out of the page - Iroshizuku yama budo

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)