Pictures of Sheaffer's MASTERPIECE

Guest PeteWK

Since an Autograph Picture Topic has been started, I'll begin one that reflects my favorite Sheaffer category, the Masterpiece. If you have a full Masterpiece or Crest Masterpiece or something similar do us all a favor and share it with the community. I'll start it off with an Early 1960s Sheaffer Imperial Masterpiece. They only came in the Touchdown filling variety and, initially at least, in 14k gold. The 9ct English models came about 10 years later. This one is completely dent and ding free. I would only need to employ the services of a good jewler to buff it into mint status.

PeteWK

post-30-1163555778_thumb.jpg

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• gregamckinney

• simon_uk

• Pepin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

beautiful pen! I've been hoarding the Signatures as olf late, but a mid-40's lever filler Masterpiece is on my "next" list. I did however pick up it's little brother today in an auction. THis is a completely ding/dent free Masterpiece pencil, although it could use a good buff to shine it up. poor picture i know, the seller took it. i'll shine it up and take some pics when i receive it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/dmiorandi/dd4d_1_b.jpg

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

beautiful pen! I've been hoarding the Signatures as olf late, but a mid-40's lever filler Masterpiece is on my "next" list. I did however pick up it's little brother today in an auction. THis is a completely ding/dent free Masterpiece pencil, although it could use a good buff to shine it up. poor picture i know, the seller took it. i'll shine it up and take some pics when i receive it.

Yep, those are very nice pens. Mine has a medium nib. It also sports some other chaps name but such is life.

PeteWK

post-30-1163560537_thumb.jpg

...as if the Autograph thread wasn't bad enough!

a pretty decent looking user grade TD Imperial went for $51 on ebay tonight, and me between paychecks as usual :P

my only all GF Sheaffers are a mismatched and well worn TM TD set, both engraved and battered but functional (well at least after I swapped off the nib that some moron attacked with pliers).

some day I will have a clean all GF Sheaffer, but it's a long term goal...

...as if the Autograph thread wasn't bad enough!

a pretty decent looking user grade TD Imperial went for $51 on ebay tonight, and me between paychecks as usual :P

my only all GF Sheaffers are a mismatched and well worn TM TD set, both engraved and battered but functional (well at least after I swapped off the nib that some moron attacked with pliers).

some day I will have a clean all GF Sheaffer, but it's a long term goal...

Hi David. I'm sorry if I've left out a very important fact. The Masterpiece pens are solid gold rather than gold filled. Most of the Sheaffer Masterpiece pens are 14k but there are some English and Australian pens that were made in 9ct and 18ct gold as well. Below you'll find my solid gold TD set circa 1950. For good measure, I also have two of the gold filled sets that I use on occasion.

Regards,

PeteWK

post-30-1163571587_thumb.jpg

I'm sorry if I've left out a very important fact. The Masterpiece pens are solid gold rather than gold filled.

...which I *know* if I would just stop to think about it...

well either way, it leaves me wanting more pens that I *definitely* don't need, and solid 14k certainly ups the ante!

nice pens no matter the gold content.

Well, I don't think I'm the only collecter of Sheaffer Masterpieces but I'll keep the thread going just in case. This pen is probably the rarest pen in my collection. Its a 1941 Tuckaway Masterpiece Vac-Fil.

PeteWK

post-30-1164166892_thumb.jpg

Edited by PeteWK

Well, I don't think I'm the only collecter of Sheaffer Masterpieces but I'll keep the thread going just in case. This pen is probably the rarest pen in my collection. Its a 1941 Tuckaway Masterpiece Vac-Fil.

PeteWK

Look into my eyes :blink: look into my eyes, not around the eyes, look into my eyes.....your under...

now send this pen to Jay.......now send this pen to Jay......

I'm also trying a long distance jedi mind trick...m'mmmmm...argh......ummmmmmm.

Hi Jay. I certainly would only Jedi Mind tricks only work on me from 50km away or less. Sorry about that.

Ahhh, the force is strong in that one...

PeteWK

hey it was worth a try - that pen is very nice and is itchin for some photo action.......

Well, if you'd like a certain photo or angle I'll try and post one for you. What would you like?

PeteWK

Don't know if this is a Masterpiece or not but here it is. It is 14K gold Snorkel Desk Set Pen that was given to a very long time employee of Sheaffer, in Fort Madison, on (I assume) June 14, 1957. The nib and casing is 14K gold and it had never been inked in over 45 years until It was given to me. I had it restored and promply filled it (With Sheaffer Skrip Black Ink, of course) and have been using it on my office desk ever since. It writes just beautifly, has a 14K fine gold nib. I'm sure the value fell by more than half when I did that, but to be able to use this fine pin has more than made up for any loss of value. The real value comes from being able to use such a fine writing instrument. The model number on the box that it was in is 2702J if that means anything to anyone.

Thanks for looking.

post-30-1164377708_thumb.jpg

PeteWK, how about a couple more pics of that EXTREMELY cool (and rare) Tuckaway?

Particularly the imprints and the "banded" engraved areas?

Thanks! greg (lover of Tuckaways)

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

Here's the Masterpiece (Vac-Fil) next to my lever Gold-Fill Model of the same year (1941).

PeteWK

post-30-1164420569_thumb.jpg

Edited by PeteWK