Dearest Friends and Visitors of the Fountain Pen Network,
We have started implementing the changes we promised here: Upcoming Changes To FPN
Please do read the linked message above.

Photo

Classifieds: We Are Live!

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 tinct

tinct

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 23:34

Thank you for working so hard to make the new classifieds! Makes viewing much easier for those browsing, hopefully its working out well for sellers too.

I really love the straightforward presentation with all the essentials on 1 page - no need to click on every thread!
Posted Image

#32 wimg

wimg

Stip Etruria nut :)

• Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,538 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 May 2011 - 00:09

Thank you for working so hard to make the new classifieds! Makes viewing much easier for those browsing, hopefully its working out well for sellers too.

I really love the straightforward presentation with all the essentials on 1 page - no need to click on every thread!

Thank you!

That was one of the charactristics we considered a great advantage over the old forum implementation!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

#33 drgoretex

drgoretex

zookeeper of teenagers

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:42

So. Tried my first classified with the new system. After spending a long time to compose the message and fill out all the boxes, photos etc, submitted the post, and an error message came up. Can't recall now what it was, but I lost all that I had written. Gumbling a bit, I went through the whole thing again, only to have another error message telling me I didn't put in a 'valid price' (I did, I remember filling in that box), and once again lost all the data I had typed in. An hour and a half later, I have no post. I give up.

Just had to vent. Maybe I will try again later, see if the software likes me better at that time.

Ken

#34 wimg

wimg

• Admin

• 19,538 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2011 - 16:28

Please note:

A small Update was added to the FPN Admin Column, to clarify what is supposed to go in the Low Volume vs the High Volume FS Category. That information has also been added to the sidebar in Classifieds.

Warm regards, Wim

On behalf of the Moderator and Admin Team

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

#35 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

24 Heures du Mans and Oblique Addict

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,528 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2011 - 17:30

Forgive me if the answer to this is elsewhere, but how are 'Want to Buy' items put up? I don't see any separation - apart from a small 'flag' - and when I went to try and put up what was effectively a one-liner request, it seemed to want me to fill everything in just as if I was selling?

#36 wimg

wimg

• Admin

• 19,538 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2011 - 21:53

Forgive me if the answer to this is elsewhere, but how are 'Want to Buy' items put up? I don't see any separation - apart from a small 'flag' - and when I went to try and put up what was effectively a one-liner request, it seemed to want me to fill everything in just as if I was selling?

Hi Aysedasi,

Yes, it is a little more more work to set up a WTB than before. There was a topic on this, several actually, in Community Feedback, plus several questions in the comments section of the admin column.

In short, set it up as a normal classified, and check the Wanted radio button. For the mandatory picture you can add a picture of the item you are looking for if you have one available, and can use legitimately, or a brand logo picture, or even a drawing you made yourself. If you also add WTB in the title, it should be clear to all you are looking for something rather than selling. And for price just add a figure which approximates what you are willing to pay.

We have requested a few changes for Classifieds, including an easier option to enter WTBs, but till that time, we'll have to make do with what is available.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#37 cocojj

cocojj

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 15:10

Topics I've "watched" in the new classifieds don't seem to appear when I log in and go to my "watched" list.

Sorry, I forgot how this works wih Classifieds, as I don't use Watched Content myself. As far as I can remember, Watched Content for Classsifieds only works in conjunction with the Notification options, i.e., emails and/or PMs to notify you of changes,.

When I have more details, I'll let you know somehow.

Warm regards, Wim

Thanks for the quick reply, Wim. In the old classifieds, when I clicked "watch," I would get the notification choice window, I'd choose my preference and the forum then considers the topic watched. It would show up in my watched list. In the new classifieds, clicking "watch" would immediately consider the topic already watched (the button on top says "stop watching," but the notification window doesn't come up and the topic doesn't show up in my watched list.

Anyway, it's a fresh new look, congratulations on the good work!

#38 wimg

wimg

• Admin

• 19,538 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2011 - 17:39

Thank you!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#39 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

24 Heures du Mans and Oblique Addict

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,528 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2011 - 21:41

Thanks for the guidance Wim.

#40 GOB Bluth

GOB Bluth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 May 2011 - 04:16

What about the trade section? I cannot seem to add another message or new item for trade. Is that completely gone?

#41 antony6555

antony6555

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 May 2011 - 15:08

I do get the drawbacks of the old system; I really do. And I get that, in the end, it is rarely (if ever) possible to make people behave voluntarily. However, the freeform nature of the old sales forum was something I, for one, really valued for that specific reason, and was actually proud of. The casual, personal, 'I'm dealing with a real human being' nature of it was a big part of the reason I'd prefer to go here than eBay. I suspect the same is true of a lot of those who are objecting. Perhaps we are overreacting.

co

I dislike the new system for basically the same reasons. It simply seems overly rigid and complex. It's like the web 2.0 version, easier for people who lack common sense perhaps, but more of a hassle for those who do. And, though it is more like ebay, I fail to see how it will necessarily require less moderation. After all, people still get scammed on ebay, though perhaps there are other reasons it will require less moderation.

Edited by antony6555, 22 May 2011 - 15:17.

WTB: Hero 100 barrel (black), and/or cap

Note: I live in the US.

#42 terim

terim

Collectors Item

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2011 - 23:56

I'm going to try to use the new system a little more before I reach any conclusions. I tried to submit a classified and got a page not found error, and lost all my work. From now on I'll compose everything offline until I get the hang of it.

One thing though -- I could really use the old "preview post" feature. I relied on that to confirm my links and photos were resolving properly. I hate to edit a live listing.

Thanks to all who made this happen!

TERI
Teri Morris

Visit the Peyton Street Pens web site.

Sign-up for our newsletter. We only send it out a few times a year, and there's usually a coupon that you can use to save a few dollars on your next order.

Visit our blog .... we try to provide interesting info for the collector and pen user.

We list new pens on the web site daily ....here's a link to the very latest additions.

#43 ArchiMark

ArchiMark

Pen Nut & Pretty Good Guy

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2011 - 18:16

A few quick comments about new Classifieds....

- Like the idea of the preview pic...adds interest and info....

- Miss the ability to see how many people have viewed an item....think as a seller that's useful to know for various reasons...

- Miss the ability to add some comments to an item...I know you can ask a question, but it was nice to see comments about seller or the pen being offered, etc...the lack of this makes the Classifieds seem more sterile and isolated now....

That's my 2 cents for now....

Mark
Digerati & FP Addict
Diplomat #055

*** Please check my for sale posts in Classifieds ***