#1 Admin

Admin

The FPN Admin Team

• Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 21:38

Dearest members of the Board,

It has been a long wait, but it is finally here, the all new, singing and dancing:
Classifieds!

Read more here:
We Are Live!

Warm regards,
The FPN Admin Team
This account is unmanaged.
Please direct questions and comments to FPN Admin email, or directly to admin Wim (wimg).

Thank you very much in advance.

Warm regards,
The FPN Admin Team

#2 publishing guy

publishing guy

The Scribbler

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:11

Congratulations on a job well done. From a buyer's perspective, the clhttp://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/195373-classifieds-we-are-live/assifieds are MUCH more user friendly. Thanks.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?

#3 wimg

wimg

Stip Etruria nut :)

• Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,720 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:26

Thank you kindly!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

#4 USMCMom

USMCMom

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,435 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:56

Wim ... the "new" Classified area is great and makes viewing sooo much better! Excellent.
Posted Image

#5 Makar

Makar

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:07

Thanks Mods and admin for all your efforts (particularly Wim - you need a holiday after all that :thumbup:) . It's a great community that only survives because of hard working volunteers. We mostly hate change but it's the only thing that brings progress! Onwards and upwards... :bunny01:

Stephen

Edited by Makar, 09 May 2011 - 11:07.

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.

John Muir

#6 wimg

wimg

• Admin

• 18,720 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:48

Thank you, USMCMom and Stephen! Much appreciated!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

#7 fuchsiaprincess

fuchsiaprincess

Museum Piece

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,882 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:18

Thanks Mods and admin for all your efforts (particularly Wim - you need a holiday after all that :thumbup:) . It's a great community that only survives because of hard working volunteers. We mostly hate change but it's the only thing that brings progress! Onwards and upwards... :bunny01:

Stephen

I'm so glad that you've noticed that Wim in particular needs to be singled out for the kudos. He has put in many unpaid hours (I'm surprised that he still has any hair left :roflmho: ) to make the new Classifieds work.

Regards,
Soki

Posted Image Posted Image

#8 jniforat

jniforat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 15:27

i'm definitely a fan of it. great job.

#9 lsmith42

lsmith42

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:29

Have the classifieds been tested with all skins?
MB Hemingway M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Leonard Bernstein F; Shaw B; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 236 flexy OBB; gold/citrine Le Grand F; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 146 M; 162 RB

#10 wimg

wimg

• Admin

• 18,720 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:17

Yes, they have. No special conversions were done for the skins, however, other than making them work with Classifieds. If you look at the manuals, you may notice that several different skins were used in the preparation of these manuals.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#11 wimg

wimg

• Admin

• 18,720 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:19

i'm definitely a fan of it. great job.

Thank you, jniforat!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#12 jonro

jonro

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,528 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 19:14

I like the look, but I'm not sure it's useful to separate high and low volume sellers. I really don't want to have to peruse two separate sections when I'm looking for a pen to buy.

Edited by jonro, 10 May 2011 - 19:16.

#13 wimg

wimg

• Admin

• 18,720 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2011 - 00:23

I like the look, but I'm not sure it's useful to separate high and low volume sellers. I really don't want to have to peruse two separate sections when I'm looking for a pen to buy.

If you don't want to do that, you don't need to. What you see depends on the level you are looking at. You can either look at a category by itself, including all subcategories, or at subcategories individually. One of the nice things in the system.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#14 Yurigia

Yurigia

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 14:21

I think it is a great idea this new section...!!

I hope that the collector make an habitude on it like the old marketplace.

I want to have some info:

1) It is possible bump the post or not..??

2) It is possible insert the value (USD, Euro) in the first page because from list of items it is not specify that.

I hope that this new section can increase the deals on this great forum..!! :thumbup:
The New Best Limited Edition fountain pen store... ckick here:

The Pen Lover Boutique

#15 lsmith42

lsmith42

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,538 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 14:32

Yes, they have. No special conversions were done for the skins, however, other than making them work with Classifieds. If you look at the manuals, you may notice that several different skins were used in the preparation of these manuals.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

FYI... Classifieds are non functional for me with the mobile skin on any platform.
MB Hemingway M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Leonard Bernstein F; Shaw B; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 236 flexy OBB; gold/citrine Le Grand F; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 146 M; 162 RB

#16 penboard.de

penboard.de

Penboard.de

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 15:50

Congratulations! a fantastic new Classified - real CLASSY. :-)

a little problem is the missing distinction between € and $ in the price shown.
but well, thats a very little problem

Compliments to the makers - especially to Wim !

Tom Westerich
Tom Westerich

See whats newly listed on PENBOARD.DE

email: twesterich@penboard.de
Abruzzo/Italy and Hamburg/Germany

#17 wimg

wimg

• Admin

• 18,720 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2011 - 20:45

Hi Yurigia,

I think it is a great idea this new section...!!

I hope that the collector make an habitude on it like the old marketplace.

I want to have some info:

No, it isn't.

2) It is possible insert the value (USD, Euro) in the first page because from list of items it is not specify that.

Not yet. We have asked for this, but we don't know when it will be implemented. Right now there only is the option for a single currency, which is why we have chosen to put the currency in the custom fields list.

I hope that this new section can increase the deals on this great forum..!! :thumbup:

Thank you. It certainly makes browsing for items a lot more pleasant. I do hope that the discussion forums also grow :D.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#18 wimg

wimg

• Admin

• 18,720 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2011 - 20:48

HTH, warm regards, Wim

FYI... Classifieds are non functional for me with the mobile skin on any platform.

Yes, sorry, Classifieds is not functional with the Mobile skin yet. That is scheduled for the planned update after the IP.Board 3.2 release, AFAIK.

The Lo-Fi skin does work with it, however.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#19 kindlyoldoc

kindlyoldoc

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2011 - 20:49

Love the new classifieds. Well done.

One request: anyway to get the price into email new topic notifications? Would be very helpful.

#20 wimg

wimg

• Admin

• 18,720 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2011 - 20:49

Congratulations! a fantastic new Classified - real CLASSY. :-)

a little problem is the missing distinction between € and $ in the price shown.
but well, thats a very little problem

Compliments to the makers - especially to Wim !

Tom Westerich

Thank you Tom, much appreciated. We are waiting with baited breath for an update on the currency field in front of the price field :D.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#21 kushbaby

kushbaby

We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting.

• Member - Gold

• 1,932 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2011 - 20:52

No, it isn't.

However, note that, on the left, every time you visit the Classifieds, move to a different page within it, or refresh, a new :random classified" comes up. This is a way to get some visibility for older items. (I was feeling a little put out because my MB 149 was buried on page 3 in the first day or so, but it popped up in the randoms once, so I felt a little better).

I like eating peanuts with chopsticks...

#22 wimg

wimg

• Admin

• 18,720 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2011 - 20:58

No, it isn't.

However, note that, on the left, every time you visit the Classifieds, move to a different page within it, or refresh, a new :random classified" comes up. This is a way to get some visibility for older items. (I was feeling a little put out because my MB 149 was buried on page 3 in the first day or so, but it popped up in the randoms once, so I felt a little better).

This is indeed a nice feature.

One of the reasons we have two FS categories for essentially the same stuff is not only because that way occasional sellers do not get swamped, but also because there is no real need for a bump button anymore :D.

Warm regards, WIm

the Mad Dutchman

#23 Ravenmoon

Ravenmoon

Eccentric Medievalist

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2011 - 18:03

I just wanted to offer a philosophical take on the Classified Kerfluffle. Certainly I, along with everyone who has either raved or ranted about the new selling format, has (or ought to have) a deep and genuine appreciation for the (volunteer) work on this project and on the forum in general. Nevertheless, I do see that a lot of folks reacted pretty strongly to the new format. If I'm being honest, I must confess my own inner curmudgeon came out swinging.

My apologies for that; that's why I sat down and tried to determine why I had the gut reaction I did. I thought I'd share, for my own sake, for the sake of letting our tireless (and often unthanked) mods know what was up, and maybe, if what I have to say isn't pure rhetorical fluff (and as an academic, I always acknowledge that's possibility) it may be good to think about moving forward.I think part of the problem is that the new marketplace format has gone from feeling like a community thing, like a farmers market, to feeling more like an institution.

In this day and age, I think we (consumers, users, customers, members) are too used to having 'new and improved' shoved down our throat, will we or nil we, only to find, that "new and improved' may indeed be the former, but is almost never the latter. We are also surrounded by incomprehensibly and excessively complex systems for everything, from calling our local bank to reading our phone bill. And in too many venues, "new" too often means "even less comprehensible, and even less useful."

As it was, for all its flaws, the old selling forum was not complex, it was not rigid. It was simple, and relied on integrity and community goodwill to work. And, by and large, from where most of us sit, it did. It was more of a conversation, a series of exchanges and interactions, not between vague entities, but directly between people. I think that is something we don't have enough of, and I for one, cherished that here.

Now? This is no longer feels as personal, it is not a direct conversation. Sure, technically, it still is - the same exchanges, the same interactions. Pens, PayPal, etc. But this classified format acts as an entire structure, an edifice, a simulacra of a storefront between buyer and seller that did not exist before. It occupies, I think, the same mental space as customer service phone menus and fine print. On a purely psychological, symbolic level, it creates distance by inserting complexity. I think people tend to rebel against that.

I do get the drawbacks of the old system; I really do. And I get that, in the end, it is rarely (if ever) possible to make people behave voluntarily. However, the freeform nature of the old sales forum was something I, for one, really valued for that specific reason, and was actually proud of. The casual, personal, 'I'm dealing with a real human being' nature of it was a big part of the reason I'd prefer to go here than eBay. I suspect the same is true of a lot of those who are objecting. Perhaps we are overreacting.

Likely, it will still be more personal and 'real' than eBay ever will. But will it be the same conversation? Will it regain its intimacy? Will the sense of 'community' overcome the distance? We'll see, and I'm not the one to prognosticate. My purpose here is merely to reflect on what changed for me and why. If that proves useful to others, well, I've done far more than I ought to have hoped for.

Edited by Ravenmoon, 12 May 2011 - 18:04.

#24 wimg

wimg

• Admin

• 18,720 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2011 - 23:03

Ravenmoon,

Thank you for your thoughtful reply.

I only have a few things to say about Classifieds. The ability to buy and sell on this website always only was meant as an addiitonal service to our membership, not the mainstay of the board, wasn't meant as a set of discussion forums, and it was not only taking up too many volunteer resources, to the point of causing burnouts, but also caused a lot of friction between members. This was why the sales rules were created, but in the end this caused even more work, be it less problems between buyers and sellers.

Also, there always have been lots of complaints about the inability to edit classifieds posts, the swamping of occasional seller classifieds by those who make a living from it or earn money with it, etc. etc. And then there were the issues around moderation.

With the new Classifieds, it now finally becomes what it always should have been, namely an additional service only, with a fairly straightforward implementation of the sales rules, and all the stuf fthat was missing in the classifieds forums. Members can now interact directly with sellers, without "interference" from the moderators and admins, and it becomes now even more a case of exhausting possibilities between buyers and sellers before moderators and admins are called upon.

It also means we can dedicate more time to that which is our hobby: pens and pen related items and talking about them, exchanging information, without worrying too much about sales activities.

That, to me, is a win-win situation for all members here. And I know many people agree with me on this.

FYI: we have been looking at alternatives for the forums for a long time (more than three years), and we have been close to shutting down the sales forums several times. If it hadn't been for the Classifieds app, the forums would have been shut down completely, likely around Christmas the last year, for good.

Is Classifieds complete, can it do all? No, it can't, not even half of what we'd like it to do - yet. But it is more capable than anything that can be done with the standard forum software, for this specific task, and it will be built out. We are only at Version 1.0.0 now, and updates are planned already by the developer.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#25 Attilio

Attilio

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 11:56

How do I unsubscribe from getting emails from the classified section?

#26 wimg

wimg

• Admin

• 18,720 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 May 2011 - 13:39

How do I unsubscribe from getting emails from the classified section?

Hi Attilio,

By switching off the notifications in "My Settings".

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#27 cocojj

cocojj

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 13:40

Topics I've "watched" in the new classifieds don't seem to appear when I log in and go to my "watched" list.

#28 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Generally, sleepy.

• Member - Gold

• 2,866 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 19:43

Small glitch, didn't know where else to post this, Wim:

When looking at the "New Content" of the classified listings, the first line of the description (below the Subject line) shows the actual bbcode tags instead of the alteration of the text. By this, I mean that instead of bolding a work, I see the word surrounded by the 'bold' tags, exactly as you would seen them in the Full Editor.

HTH
"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#29 wimg

wimg

• Admin

• 18,720 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 May 2011 - 20:45

Small glitch, didn't know where else to post this, Wim:

When looking at the "New Content" of the classified listings, the first line of the description (below the Subject line) shows the actual bbcode tags instead of the alteration of the text. By this, I mean that instead of bolding a work, I see the word surrounded by the 'bold' tags, exactly as you would seen them in the Full Editor.

HTH

Thank you Jon. That was supposed to be fixed, and when we tested for this in the current version it appeared to work well. For the time being please don't use any special formatting for the title please - I'll take it up with the developer.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#30 wimg

wimg

• Admin

• 18,720 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 May 2011 - 20:50

Topics I've "watched" in the new classifieds don't seem to appear when I log in and go to my "watched" list.

Sorry, I forgot how this works wih Classifieds, as I don't use Watched Content myself. As far as I can remember, Watched Content for Classsifieds only works in conjunction with the Notification options, i.e., emails and/or PMs to notify you of changes,.

When I have more details, I'll let you know somehow.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman