Another Akkerman Warning!

rockspyder

Tonight, it was time to open my bottle of Akkerman #9 Laan van Nieuw-Oost Indigo for the first time. I tipped the bottle, and filled the neck, as one would normally do.

The pilots and others who understand the effects of air pressure will appreciate what happened next, keeping in mind the following:

- I live in Johannesburg, which is at an altitude of 5500ft above sea level.

- The Netherlands is at, or below, sea level. Where Akkerman inks are bottled, before going out to the world.

- The neck of the bottle is now full of ink, with sea level air pressure in the space under the glass marble.

So, I twist the bottle top....

The volcano of ink was nothing short of spectacular. Hands, face, desk, all covered in Laan van Nieuw-Oost Indigo.

After drying most of the ink from my hands and face, I looked in the mirror, and found X-men's dr Hank McCoy staring back at me.

My wife has still not stopped laughing.

It was entirely my own fault, I should have known better. With the other bottles, I opened them before filling the neck for the first time, and noticed the marble jumping up from the released air pressure. This was the first time I filled the neck before first opening. So we learn.

A few other observations during this little inkcident:

- the ink color reminds very much of Lamy blue-black, but the lubrication is substantially better, as nice and smooth as the other Akkermans. Scans to follow.

- it washed off quite easily, fortunately...

- my eyes did not really burn, which suggests a neutral pH.

Yes, we took pictures of my blue face. No, I will NOT post them...

So, the message here is for those who live at altitude: do NOT fill the neck before first opening...release the pressure first!

Although it washed off easily, I think I still see a slight cyanotic tinge in the mirror... Hopefully not enough to result in any umcomfortable questions at work tomorrow...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pen2paper

• rockspyder

• SamCapote

• 79spitfire

:roflmho:

Okay, I'll be careful.

:ltcapd:

trpofapprobal.png

Well, at least you didn't have to put much effort into yelling until you were blue in the face. :P

A valuable warning to us all who live more than inches above sea level (said he from the relatively thick air of 1895').

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Great story rockspyder.Thanks for sharing.

LOL! sounds like somthing I'd do !!

:ltcapd:

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

Sorry it was you. Glad it wasn't me. :roflmho: Try a moisturizer on your face overnight, even a bit of hand cream or sunscreen if your wife doesn't have any facial moisturizer she'll donate. Even the most lubricating ink isn't going to do anything positive for your face, and I'm thinking you probably scrubbed it pretty hard to get off the blue.

Yes, we took pictures of my blue face. No, I will NOT post them...

Pics, or it didn't happen. :ltcapd:

MUST Have Photo Evidence!

to protect the innocent, you understand..

Youtuble video of wife still chuckling will stop those "Must Try This" guys - cold. : )

Sorry, I couldn't help but bust out laughing with you, my wife gave me weird stares.

I live @ a measly 18" above sea level, can almost see the Atlantic from my house, so I have to try remembering ink bottles & samples I send to friend at higher elevations all the time or they too may suffer from this mishap.

I have pen & ink friends in South Africa [not far from Johannesburg at all], in New Zealand where some places are mountainous high elevations, Salt Lake City, Denver, basically all over the world.

I really need to remember this, even shipping air-freight makes me nervous at times wondering if bottles will survive in jets/ cargo plains at high altitudes or explode while in transit in an unpressurized cargo area.

No pictures?

Oh well, I guess I can't print one out of you post-ink-explosion and frame it, then place it on the wall behind my computer monitor, I'd never forget to be more careful then!

The reference made to "X-men's dr Hank McCoy" staring back at you in the mirror paints a good enough mental image, I don't think I'll forget now.

Glad you were able to get out the ink, thanks for the story and best of luck in future times.

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

Please post them!

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

This beats last week's spontaneously spewing soda bottle (after it had been open for about five minutes) by a long shot. Well-described!

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

Great story! You made a lousy day much better! Please post pics!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

What a story! :roflmho: Just make sure you don't end up in the hospital for some other reason before the faux cyanosis fades completely!

Oh, wow! Can't wait to show this one to my kids. Thanks for the laugh.

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

That was the best true story I have heard in a long time !!! Imagining the visual of that happening is awesome. :roflmho: I know the first word that would have screeched out of my mouth...which also shall go unposted.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

you can post the pictures with a black blotch (made with het Zwarte Pad ink) before your eyes so no one will recognize you.