Pretty Weird Flea Bay Listing; J With A Flexie Goes For $162.50

OcalaFlGuy

I am no fleabay expert but this looks weird, almost like a shill bidder to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-OLIVE-ESTERBROOK-J-FOUNTAIN-PEN-NEW-9048-NIB-/320689321379?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aaa92b5a3

Thing is, I've had enough dealings with Jim and Sharon (ros7261) to know they are way too

ethical for a shill bid on their end.

I got a feeling this is going to be relisted.

I'm just not sure why someone would get their jollies fake biding for no apparent reason.

PS; I just heard back from Jim, the buyer has paid for the pen. :yikes:

Bruce in Ocala-even more clueless than usual on this one

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pal38

• Hobiwan

• OcalaFlGuy

• Gobblecup

Gorgeous pen but for that price... yikes.gif No way!

I'm just a s confused as you are...

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

I've dealt with them too, even long before he began restoring pens, they've never disappointed me.

I've seen some of their pens sell for ridiculously high prices, such as a few white Nurses' pens selling for way more than I'd ever pay.

It could be some existing buyers that know the high quality of the work he does and seeing something they like so they're willing to bid high?

Maybe it's the flex nib? I've seen them go for over $50 alone, even higher if NOS and the buyer is willing to pay it, one on the Bay now is listed @ $59.99.

I've seen many Esterbrook pens selling high, they had rare or hard-to-find nibs, the pens were not so rare, the nibs though brought the bids up drastically.

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

Now, I will admit to having the dominant paranoia gene but a bidder with a feedback of da nada bidding crazy high gives me the heebie jeebies.

Yeah, I was more than surprised to hear the payment had been made.

Bruce in Ocala, FL mystified indeed

It's the color/pattern of the pen. I've seen them on the bay before, and they get good action. It's a basic black, with what looks like grey or even "off-tan" "mottling'. A different mix of the plastic that's produced a unique color/pattern effect that's more attractive (to me, anyway) than the usual striated colors or the flat black. Would sure love to have one :puddle: ...

Lord help us, Esties have arrived to the point that the big money's going hard after a color variation on a J-pen.

Edited by Hobiwan

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

I was watching that one...

The pen is restored. The color is pretty rare. The nib is a rare "Flexible-Fine, Shaded Writing". Finally, the nib is probably new-old-stock, so no wear.

But $162.50 for an Estie-J; what is the World coming to?

I think I may just be done buying Esterbrooks... my dreams of owning the full selection and collection are dead. I have loved them, but in the sort time since buying my first, the average price of a J has tripled! :crybaby:

I could collect Parker 51s for the same prices now!

What has the world come to? :unsure:

Edited by Gobblecup

Gobblecup ~

man I have a red J with a 9048 that I would be willing to let go for half that or less and it is one of my favorite pens. :ltcapd:

"I'm to drunk to taste this chicken." -Colonel Sanders

So what about this one?

Moroccan Red Estie

This one did not have a newbie driving the bidding higher, and the bids seem to have come from a number of different bidders. Is this just a rare color variant? Why would an apparently unrestored Dollar pen with a garden variety 2668 nib go for so much?

Has Estie madness seized eBay?

Rick B.

So what about this one?

Moroccan Red Estie

This one did not have a newbie driving the bidding higher, and the bids seem to have come from a number of different bidders. Is this just a rare color variant? Why would an apparently unrestored Dollar pen with a garden variety 2668 nib go for so much?

That is one of the "$1.50" pens. Ya wanna know a real tragedy? :embarrassed_smile: I was watching that one on it's first pass, and missed bidding on it (got busy or forgot). It passed without a bid, and got re-listed. :gaah: :bonk: (sigh)

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

So what about this one?

Moroccan Red Estie

That is one of the "$1.50" pens. Ya wanna know a real tragedy? :embarrassed_smile: I was watching that one on it's first pass, and missed bidding on it (got busy or forgot). It passed without a bid, and got re-listed. :gaah: :bonk: (sigh)

I followed that the first time too ... and the second time. Actually, I contacted the seller when it disappeared the first time. She ended the listing early and here's what she said:

" I was worried about how the description read.

While the

outside of the pen looks really nice. I'm not sure it was in the shape I

had listed it in. (i.e., the lever doesn't work, etc.) I'm sure it needs

refurbished.

So, rather than change the description while the auction was

going. I pulled it and will either see if I can find someone knowledgable

about pens to help me write the descrition or see what it would take to get

it in working condition and then relist."

I told her to just check the pen carefully for any visual/cosmetic issues and re-list it as needing to be refurbished and sold "as is". I was pretty sure it would go for a fairly high number. I'm glad she got a good price. That's what she deserves for being honest and trying to do the right thing. :clap1:

Some of these very high prices are probably being paid with stolen credit cards, or they're part of some other type of scam.

In the couple of months that I have been collecting Esties, it seems that I am now paying the same or more for pens that need work than the restored ones I purchased in late February-early March. I can't believe it.

freddy77

So what about this one?

Moroccan Red Estie

If you can sell me a 1.50$-pen for $80.00, anytime! I take it immediately. Me thinks if cracked Ices and Visumasters go for over 5 or 6 hundred $s, a 1.50$-pen is worth $150 anytime. You know, they are quite rare!

Edited by pal38

swisspenpal

Pal38 is infected!!! :yikes: Somebody quarantine him! :ninja:

Edited by Gobblecup

Gobblecup ~

I plead guilty! But beware when apprehending me, I always have a fistful of Wearevers to throw at any aggressor!

:angry:

Edited by pal38

swisspenpal

I plead guilty! But beware when apprehending me, I always have a fistful of Wearevers to throw at any aggressor!

:angry:

:roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho:

Stay away from all sources and reservoirs of water, I could spring form anywhere, for I am indeed a Waterman! :ph34r:

I'm not sure if you should laugh with me, or at me, for that gag... :blush:

Gobblecup ~

Both, because

1. That was funny

2. I know now you can't hurt me, because I'm a lifelong virgin (virgo) and no man, even if he is a waterman, can harm me! (although I must admit I have 6 children and 7 grandchildren)

:ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd:

Edited by pal38

swisspenpal

Some of these very high prices are probably being paid with stolen credit cards, or they're part of some other type of scam.

Ah, you got something there! Clever cat!!!

You just unveiled the most secret Swiss treble-0-zero-zero agent washing all the billions of UBS' and CS' drug funds by posting Esties!!

:ltcapd:

Edited by pal38

swisspenpal

• 2 weeks later...