Osmiroid Nib Numbers

Ashland

Hello.

I have an Osmiroid 75 with screw-in nibs, and I'd like to acquire more nibs for it.

I've reviewed the Osmiroid nib chart on Richard Binder's site.

http://www.richardspens.com/images/ref_inf...bs/ospoints.gif

A very kind gentleman in Europe has located additional nibs for me in a shop. However, the nib numbers differ from the ones listed on the above chart. Were different nib numbers used in different countries? My main concern with importing a nib without seeing it is that I might be buying a nib for a different type of Osmiroid pen & wouldn't be able to use it.

I have tried an Esterbrook nib in the pen, & it seems to work. I use stub nibs & italics. In your opinion, should I just use an Esterbrook nib or would it be worthwhile to import an Osmiroid nib? Is there something really special about an Osmiroid nib versus an Esterbrook or Venus?

Thank you for your input.

Regards,

Ashland

Edited by Ashland

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ashland

• wimg

• Maja

• artaddict

Top Posters In This Topic

Esterbrook nibs seem to be better quality overall and have the option of being tipped with something harder than stainless steel in the 8xxx, 3xxx and 9xxx series.

I only use Osmiroid nibs 'cause they're easier to come by than X312 medium italics.

William

Edited by WillAdams

Hmm. That reminded me. - I have an Osmiroid 75 with a "fine straight" italic nib. I never use it anymore. The pen works correctly, but the piston is extremely slow and stiff. View section is very ambered, but you can still see the ink a little. Whole thing yours for the cost of postage. (I'm in Canada, so postage will be more than a dollar, but still...)

If you don't want it, I'll put it up for cheap in the marketplace.

Hi Ashland,

Are you sure the points Richard refers to are Osmiroid pen points? I think you may confuse these with the Esterbrook Osmiridium points. BTW, I can't get the link to the picture to work.

Osmiroid actually created several series of nibs, in different finishes, with slightly different numbering, at least in the last years before they stopped production entirely.

I have a chart of the 19-series, but the 18- and 17-series are probably exactly the same, apart from finish (goldplated or not, etc.). I'll try to check on that.

Anyway, FYI, on the chart are the following, non-tipped points but one, listed:

Rola Extra Fine - 19418

Rola Fine Soft - 19400

Rola Medium Soft (*) - 19402

Rola Broad Soft - 19406

Italic Extra Fine - 19420

Italic Fine (*) - 19408

Italic Medium (*) - 19410

Italic Broad (*) - 19416

Long Life Tipped Nib - 19516

Copperplate - 19514

B2 (*) - 19504

B3 - 19506

B4 (*) - 19508

B5 - 19510

B6 - 19512

B8 - 19530

B10 - 19532

SH4 - 19524

SH5 - 19526

SH6 - 19528

(*) : also available in left handed version

These all fit the black section that Osmiroid used for their later calligraphy pens. They can actually be excahnged just by pulling the nib out and pushing the next one back in.

I also have a few blue sections somewhere, and the nibs for those may be a little smaller, but I can't tell until I found them again. They sit somewhere in a box I haven't been able to locate yet :D.

Anyway, HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Wim,

The image shows drawings of an Osmiroid 65 & a 75 pen & lots of Osmiroid nibs.

For some reason, the system is altering the URL for the image, & something is preventing my edit of the original post from sticking.

Here is the URL again.

If the system alters it again, here it is written out.

http://www.richardspens.com/

slash images

slash ref_info

slash estynibs

slash ospoints.gif

The nibs for the Osmiroid 65 & 75 screw out. They have threads on the bottom, & couldn't be pushed in or pulled out. The pens are earlier models than the cartridge pens. The 65 is a lever-filler, and the 75 is a piston-filler.

All the nib numbers on the chart have the format 17xxx.

Thanks,

Ashland

Hi Ashland,

Ok, it finally dawns on me. :doh: I missed the 75 model part in your first post here. The nibs I am talking about are for the last series of calligraphic fountain pens that were ever made by Osmiroid. I don't know their model names, but they do have goldplated nibs, as indicated in my list, and the nibs aren't part of a nib/feed assembly that screws in. These are nibs that can be replaced by pulling out just the nib, and replacing it with another....

Alternatively, you have a whole bunch of sections, with different nibs, and a single barrel. That's actually how they sold these as calligraphy sets in the 1970s or thereabouts.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• 5 months later...
Hello.

I have an Osmiroid 75 with screw-in nibs, and I'd like to acquire more nibs for it.

I've reviewed the Osmiroid nib chart on Richard Binder's site.

A very kind gentleman in Europe has located additional nibs for me in a shop. However, the nib numbers differ from the ones listed on the above chart. Were different nib numbers used in different countries? My main concern with importing a nib without seeing it is that I might be buying a nib for a different type of Osmiroid pen & wouldn't be able to use it.

I have tried an Esterbrook nib in the pen, & it seems to work. I use stub nibs & italics. In your opinion, should I just use an Esterbrook nib or would it be worthwhile to import an Osmiroid nib? Is there something really special about an Osmiroid nib versus an Esterbrook or Venus?

Thank you for your input.

Regards,

Ashland

I have 11 Osmiroid barrels and caps and 16 nibs. These are the late cartridge-fill type and the nibs are interchangeable. They are now surplus to requirement and I'd like to feel that someone was getting some use from them. They have all been used, but are still in very good condition. You can have them free if they are of any use to you. Just give me your address and I'll send them off.

caliken

Edited by caliken

Don't know if this helps or not, but the page below has some useful info Osmiroid nibs---the older ones that fit some Esterbrook pens (the lever-filler type, I believe) vs. the newer ones (that are not interchangeable with the new ones).

http://hans.presto.tripod.com/nibs/osmiroid01.html

On the far right hand side of that page (near the bottom) is a list of new style Osmiroid nib units.

The upper left of the page has some links to other Osmiroid articles, including this little page on Osmiroid history: http://hans.presto.tripod.com/nibs/osmiroid02.html

My Mom got me a NOS Osmiroid 75 piston-filler fountain pen in its original box with 6 different nib units (italic straight F, ital. str. M, ital. str. B, B2, B3 and B4 nibs) at a local thrift store for $5 on Wednesday, so I started looking for more info on the pens.

My Mom got me a NOS Osmiroid 75 piston-filler fountain pen in its original box with 6 different nib units (italic straight F, ital. str. M, ital. str. B, B2, B3 and B4 nibs) at a local thrift store for $5 on Wednesday, so I started looking for more info on the pens.

Ack! I just bought that set on eBay for $30! :headsmack:

Watermans Flex Club & Sheaffer Lifetime Society Member

Ack! I just bought that set on eBay for $30! :headsmack:

Ah well, as long as you like what you bought.... :)

My mom is very good at finding deals; she bought me a gold-filled Wahl "All-Metal" ringtop for ten cents ($0.10) at the same thrift store a while back. Happy Mother's Day, Mom!! :D

Ah well, as long as you like what you bought.... :)

That's true; it's a nice set :)

Watermans Flex Club & Sheaffer Lifetime Society Member