Pen shops in Charlotte, NC

wahoofishing

Does anyone know if there any pen shop in the Charlotte, NC area other than Sharon Luggage in the Southpark mall. I am ok with locations around the city as well. Thanks.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flyingmachine

• HesNot

• Smaragdine

• Bill

You've probably wandered in to the Crane Stationers store in South Park. I'm wary of any shops in that mall -- catering to a clientele that's a little too affluent for my tastes.

That said, my Lamy Safari was reasonably priced.

I, too, am curious to find out what's in the Charlotte area.

R

As far as I know the only brick and mortar stores in Charlotte that routinely sell fountain pens are the aforementioned Sharon Luggage and Crane stores, as well a the MontBlanc boutique at SouthPark (not exactly the bargain mecca!). However, there are several Sharon Luggage stores in Charlotte including the "superstore" which I believe features some discontinued and other discounted items, as well as the "Time to Write" kiosk at the airport which I believe has their most extensive selection of writing instruments. Always worth a look see while waiting for a flight. Sharon sells Private Reserve ink as well, and Crane sells Waterman.

I've called around to other stationers regarding ink (bottled) and gotten a zero response, however some of them may also carry pens.

A pen a day keeps the doctor away...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

The Superstore is at I-77 and Arrowood Road -

http://www.sharonluggage.com/locations.html

The more important question is when will we have a Charlotte pen get together? :D

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

• 1 year later...
Does anyone know if there any pen shop in the Charlotte, NC area other than Sharon Luggage in the Southpark mall. I am ok with locations around the city as well. Thanks.

Check out Origami Ink at The Village At SouthPark (right next to the SouthPark Mall next to Crate & Barrel). Coolest pen store i've seen in years. They just opened. Very "artsy" place! Origamiink.com show a little bit on their website.

They have Visconti, Yard-O-Led, Michel Perchin, Graf Von Faber Castell, Jean Pierre Lepin, Porsche Design, A Couple Montegrappa's, Glass dipping pens, Noodler's Ink and lotsa' other inks. I also saw a lot of fun Acme pens.

Hope this helps!

Flying Machine, thank you SO much for posting the link to Origami's web site. I'm heading over there to check it out first thing tomorrow morning. I had no idea there was a new pen store in Southpark, and I've been buying ink online for too long...

So, does this make Charlotte officially civilized, or do we still have a ways to go?

Edited by Smaragdine

You lucky people! I wish I lived closer to Charlotte. I grew up in Salisbury, about an hour away. And now, living in Raleigh, I'm about three hours away. At least I can look at their website!

Lisa

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Lisa in Raleigh, NC

Flying Machine, thank you SO much for posting the link to Origami's web site. I'm heading over there to check it out first thing tomorrow morning. I had no idea there was a new pen store in Southpark, and I've been buying ink online for too long...

So, does this make Charlotte officially civilized, or do we still have a ways to go?

No problem! I should mention that I spoke with the fella that was working there when i stopped in. He said they plan on expanding their selection even further. I'm excited, actually, about seeing some Marlens. Apparently, they plan on bringing in that line, as well, at some point. He said they've only been open for about two months and will be paying attention to what people ask for in this region. Cool store.

As far as civilized, i'm trying to stay positive. We sure could use some more independent restaurants. You know, "chef based". Too many chains here. Jesus, I hope i don't sound snooty.

Very cool tip on Origami Ink! Since the Crane store closed it has gotten a bit underwhelming - I hope this spot makes it. I know I'll be patronizing it.

As for civilization - well - Charlotte is a pretty cool city with more and more amenities of DC or Atlanta in a less expensive and more manageable package. Admittedly the business culture tends to foster a certain amount of expense account restaurants and group based efforts - but there are some good spots and some notable chefs - Barrington's is outstanding, as is Zebra. Hopefully the Johnson & Wales alumni will provide an influx of creative chefs into the local marketplace.

No problem! I should mention that I spoke with the fella that was working there when i stopped in. He said they plan on expanding their selection even further. I'm excited, actually, about seeing some Marlens. Apparently, they plan on bringing in that line, as well, at some point. He said they've only been open for about two months and will be paying attention to what people ask for in this region. Cool store.

As far as civilized, i'm trying to stay positive. We sure could use some more independent restaurants. You know, "chef based". Too many chains here. Jesus, I hope i don't sound snooty.

I've given up on trying not to sound snooty... :-) When I walked into Origami Ink, it took me about 5 minutes before I found an interesting Visconti fountain pen in a case at the back of the store, a very vintage-looking fountain pen with an ornate and very unique design on it that reminded me of something from The Great Gatsby. I began to lust after the pen, and the sales girl took it out of the case so I could fondle it. How much for this little beauty? Seventeen THOUSAND dollars, as it is hand made in Italy and each one takes two years to complete... Unfortunately I have the most expensive taste in the universe, so despite my inability to indulge in such wicked splurges, I still reign supreme as Queen Snooty Patooty.

Seriously, though -- pining for independent restaurants isn't about being snooty, it's about fighting back against the creeping mediocrity of giant corporate chains that threaten to stifle out all the creative enterprise of independent business owners in a variety of different industries, restaurants being only the tip of the ice berg. That's what I miss most in Charlotte, all of the quirky little independent businesses I used to frequent up North like my favorite fishmonger, bagel shop, Jewish deli (and I'm not even Jewish, just LOVE the Jewish deli!) and even the weird little lingerie store that sold everything from high-end bridal peignoir sets to plus-size bras and phallus-shaped macaroni pasta. Those types of businesses give a town a personality and its own little microculture. Shopping center after shopping center filled with the same McDonald's, Target and WalMart give Charlotte such a blank, sterile face that it's difficult to identify where you are without reading the street signs.

But the Origami Ink store was like no place I've ever been before in Charlotte, and I felt transported. They showed me some beautiful large sheets of handprinted decorative papers with Asian designs patterned after kimono fabrics (these were rolled up in a cabinet and not yet on display). I know I have to have them for something; I just can't figure out what I need them for yet! I stocked up on some inks, but I know I'll be back. Anyway, thanks again for the great tip.

Rebecca

Edited by Smaragdine

I've given up on trying not to sound snooty... :-) When I walked into Origami Ink, it took me about 5 minutes before I found an interesting Visconti fountain pen in a case at the back of the store, a very vintage-looking fountain pen with an ornate and very unique design on it that reminded me of something from The Great Gatsby. I began to lust after the pen, and the sales girl took it out of the case so I could fondle it. How much for this little beauty? Seventeen THOUSAND dollars, as it is hand made in Italy and each one takes two years to complete... Unfortunately I have the most expensive taste in the universe, so despite my inability to indulge in such wicked splurges, I still reign supreme as Queen Snooty Patooty.

Seriously, though -- pining for independent restaurants isn't about being snooty, it's about fighting back against the creeping mediocrity of giant corporate chains that threaten to stifle out all the creative enterprise of independent business owners in a variety of different industries, restaurants being only the tip of the ice berg. That's what I miss most in Charlotte, all of the quirky little independent businesses I used to frequent up North like my favorite fishmonger, bagel shop, Jewish deli (and I'm not even Jewish, just LOVE the Jewish deli!) and even the weird little lingerie store that sold everything from high-end bridal peignoir sets to plus-size bras and phallus-shaped macaroni pasta. Those types of businesses give a town a personality and its own little microculture. Shopping center after shopping center filled with the same McDonald's, Target and WalMart give Charlotte such a blank, sterile face that it's difficult to identify where you are without reading the street signs.

But the Origami Ink store was like no place I've ever been before in Charlotte, and I felt transported. They showed me some beautiful large sheets of handprinted decorative papers with Asian designs patterned after kimono fabrics (these were rolled up in a cabinet and not yet on display). I know I have to have them for something; I just can't figure out what I need them for yet! I stocked up on some inks, but I know I'll be back. Anyway, thanks again for the great tip.

Rebecca

Hello, Queen Snooty Patooty.

Well, you are one seriously evolved human being. I couldn't have articulated the scenario any better than you did here. Yes it is pretty sterile here. Although, it's becoming that way all over. At least it's clean, right? ...Sad.

I would like to also add that the stifling giants include the corporate Landlords. They put the little independent businesses through the ringer (if they even allow them to take a space) making it difficult to for them to make enough money to survive after paying ultra high rent and a percentage of sales on top of the rent. Stores like the Gap can do OK because they have a thousand stores to exponentially compound a small profit margin, and I'm sure they're also probably helped out by the fact they have TV ads, since the public MUST HAVE anything they've seen on TV. The small independents that are offering something different have to rely on the tiny fraction of the public that still can make it's own decision (without being told by media) as to what they find interesting. That's a big risk nowadays unless you're in NYC or LA or SanFran, etc..

Oh, and i'm guessing you came from NYC??? Was that macaroni pasta place on Columbus Ave. by chance?

Have you found any other spots (retail or food related) that were interesting or unique here? Aside from Origami Ink in Southpark, I also thought that Roosters (restaurant) was pretty good. Oh, and the little Italian "Il Postino" restaurant in Phillips Place has some of that "feel" you're looking for. They have very personalize service and great food. I feel like i'm in an independent restaurant in NYC whenever i'm there. There's also Paper Skyscraper.

I saw that pen at Origami Ink, although I thought it was thirteen thousand bucs. Aaahh, what's 4 grand here or there. He.

It is beautiful, though.

I bought a Visconti Wall Street Ball Point (red). Don't know why but I couldn't leave without it. They had that cool initial system that you can add your initials to the roof of the pen right there on the spot (strong magnetics). Sounds cheezy, i know. But I couldn't help myself. Hey, i'm fighting back mediocrity! (even if I can't spell it).

Where did they have those Asian papers again??

Best,

King Snooty Matilda

Very cool tip on Origami Ink! Since the Crane store closed it has gotten a bit underwhelming - I hope this spot makes it. I know I'll be patronizing it.

As for civilization - well - Charlotte is a pretty cool city with more and more amenities of DC or Atlanta in a less expensive and more manageable package. Admittedly the business culture tends to foster a certain amount of expense account restaurants and group based efforts - but there are some good spots and some notable chefs - Barrington's is outstanding, as is Zebra. Hopefully the Johnson & Wales alumni will provide an influx of creative chefs into the local marketplace.

Hey, that's a really interesting take on things here (regarding the business culture fostering a lot of expense account restaurants). That makes a lot of sense. I agree that it's on the up & up here. I should also add that even though I miss NYC and the unique elements that it offered, it was also such a pain to live there. Everything was simply difficult and expensive and cold. I'm feeling optimistic that Charlotte will attract more and more businesses like Origami Ink since it is a much more "manageable package" (as you put it).

Where is Barrington, incidentally?

Hey, King Snooty Mathilda (I hope you don't mind my adding an "h" to your secret identity)

Please don't say I'm "evolved," because I'm really just a hop skip and a jump away from flinging excrement at other primates who tick me off...

As for cultural life in Charlotte, perhaps what we really need to push for and support is media coverage/publicity for the interesting events, restaurants, and small businesses that DO exist in Charlotte so we can all find them and patronize them before they go under. I would never have stumbled across Origami Ink on my own had I not seen your post about it. I'd like to see a local publication devoted to the Charlotte cultural scene, whether it's a newsletter or magazine or whatever -- does something like this exist already?? Southpark Magazine is too "luxury lifestyle" and Ballantyne Magazine is too narrowly focused on corporate culture and real estate development. I'm thinking of something that would spotlight upcoming arts events throughout the Charlotte area, especially things out of the mainstream, showcase independent restaurants and other businesses like Origami Ink, and maybe even feature short fiction pieces by local writers.

And no, I came from New Jersey and the lingerie shop I referenced was on Route 9 in Manalapan about 5 miles North of the Freehold Raceway Mall. The owner went to high school with me and was an amazing artist; she painted these hysterical caricatures all over the shop walls. They are no longer in business, unfortunately.

I will keep these restaurant suggestions in mind next time I get a chance to go out to dinner. I am way less cool than I used to be prior to procreating and I have yet to find a babysitter who can't be outwitted and terrorized by my 7-year-old son. There's a fantastic privately owned children's shoe store called the Shoe In at the Stonecrest shopping center on Rea Road near Ballantyne, and The Milky Way on East Blvd. in Dilworth is a terrific place for attachment parenting, Earth Mama type stuff and nursing bras. Life has a way of interfering while we're making other plans, n'est ce pas?

Anyway, Cathie was the girl who showed me the Asian papers. She had them rolled up inside a cabinet and told me she planned to display them all on the walls as soon as she got around to it; it was her first day back after being out with the flu. I'm sure they will show them to you if you ask.

Rebecca

PS: Enjoy your new pen. I would have picked red, too!

PPS: I just thought of another favorite independent business I love, one that has nothing to do with lactating or children's feet -- Expressive Creations is a cool, independently owned bead store in the Ayrsley shopping center off exit 1 from I-485. They have a beautiful store with an amazing selection of everything from Swarovski crystal beads to hand carved wooden beads, jewelry making supplies, and all kinds of beading supplies. Much nicer stuff than at Michaels or other big box craft stores; it's privately owned, and the store has a great atmosphere that makes it fun to browse and get your creative juices flowing. They have beading classes there, but I haven't taken any of them. I use the beads to embellish fabric projects.

Edited by Smaragdine

• 2 weeks later...
Hey, King Snooty Mathilda (I hope you don't mind my adding an "h" to your secret identity)

Please don't say I'm "evolved," because I'm really just a hop skip and a jump away from flinging excrement at other primates who tick me off...

As for cultural life in Charlotte, perhaps what we really need to push for and support is media coverage/publicity for the interesting events, restaurants, and small businesses that DO exist in Charlotte so we can all find them and patronize them before they go under. I would never have stumbled across Origami Ink on my own had I not seen your post about it. I'd like to see a local publication devoted to the Charlotte cultural scene, whether it's a newsletter or magazine or whatever -- does something like this exist already?? Southpark Magazine is too "luxury lifestyle" and Ballantyne Magazine is too narrowly focused on corporate culture and real estate development. I'm thinking of something that would spotlight upcoming arts events throughout the Charlotte area, especially things out of the mainstream, showcase independent restaurants and other businesses like Origami Ink, and maybe even feature short fiction pieces by local writers.

And no, I came from New Jersey and the lingerie shop I referenced was on Route 9 in Manalapan about 5 miles North of the Freehold Raceway Mall. The owner went to high school with me and was an amazing artist; she painted these hysterical caricatures all over the shop walls. They are no longer in business, unfortunately.

I will keep these restaurant suggestions in mind next time I get a chance to go out to dinner. I am way less cool than I used to be prior to procreating and I have yet to find a babysitter who can't be outwitted and terrorized by my 7-year-old son. There's a fantastic privately owned children's shoe store called the Shoe In at the Stonecrest shopping center on Rea Road near Ballantyne, and The Milky Way on East Blvd. in Dilworth is a terrific place for attachment parenting, Earth Mama type stuff and nursing bras. Life has a way of interfering while we're making other plans, n'est ce pas?

Anyway, Cathie was the girl who showed me the Asian papers. She had them rolled up inside a cabinet and told me she planned to display them all on the walls as soon as she got around to it; it was her first day back after being out with the flu. I'm sure they will show them to you if you ask.

Rebecca

PS: Enjoy your new pen. I would have picked red, too!

PPS: I just thought of another favorite independent business I love, one that has nothing to do with lactating or children's feet -- Expressive Creations is a cool, independently owned bead store in the Ayrsley shopping center off exit 1 from I-485. They have a beautiful store with an amazing selection of everything from Swarovski crystal beads to hand carved wooden beads, jewelry making supplies, and all kinds of beading supplies. Much nicer stuff than at Michaels or other big box craft stores; it's privately owned, and the store has a great atmosphere that makes it fun to browse and get your creative juices flowing. They have beading classes there, but I haven't taken any of them. I use the beads to embellish fabric projects.

Hey! Apologies for the delay!! Life's gotten the better of me over the last couple weeks.

I must say... Thanks for the excrement tip. All these years i've been using ear wax and have found it to be really inefficient in taking out an enemy.

I, also, (seriously) like your idea for the publication. As far as I've seen, this angle has not been covered at all here. I'd think that the massive influx from other areas of the country would really take to it. There must be tons of people that are missing the unique "finds" they got back home. Do you have any experience in publishing and coordination of it?? Might, actually, be kinda' lucrative from what i've seen of adverising rates.

I'll keep the "Milky Way" place in mind for nursing bras when I get my sex change. ...He.

Is that "Expressions" place where the Wolfgang Puck food place is??

Baby-sitter wise... Have you tried hiring the "Wookie" from Star Wars? That might just be the ticket. ooh, I bet i'm really dating myself with that reference. Sometimes I do feel older than dirt, actually.

Yours truly,

Red Visconti Man

A.K.A

King Snooty Mathilda ("h" included)

Fun discussions with some other Queen City snobs/populists/pensters/eccentrics - perhaps we need a local pen club!?

Anywhoo - Barrington's is in the small shopping center on Fairview between Phillips Place and Providence, tucked away from the road (shopping center where Ben & Jerry's is located). It is great food and worth the trip. I just spent the last 4 months in NYC from Sunday through Friday on an engagement and it did have an impact on my perception of certain things. Commuting from a nice hotel in Manhattan to another Manhattan location is actually not that bad compared to driving up Providence Road, for example! Of course you have to be able to afford to live in Manhattan and commuting from Long Island is another thing entirely. I also ate a lot of good food (nothing beats the expense account "actual reasonable expenses" budget) none of it from chains, and there is a lot to say for the quality you get from such establishments. But an expense account isn't real life either...

As a native Washingtonian there are things I miss about DC - museums mostly (free ones at that) as well as certain cultural experiences and a more diverse environment - but as a parent I have to admit that Charlotte is a very very nice compromise of family quality of life and some good things to do. I thoroughly support the idea of a resource to help target small, local and independent shops. Not sure how to get such a thing started but it would be a worthwhile endeavor... But I've lived in a number of other towns in North Carolina, college in Chapel Hill, law school and graduate business school in Winston-Salem, Greensboro and New Bern - and when I moved last Charlotte was our destination of choice for a variety of reasons over New York, DC or Atlanta which were the other main options (I am a benefits and compensation tax attorney so relatively speaking my destinations are somewhat limited!).

Thankfully we have a small stable of good babysitters lined up (it took 3 years to finally find some that we like - but it's easier now that the kids are a bit older as well), but it still adds so much to the cost of going out that, well, I'm as happy to throw steaks on the grill and sip some red wine with my wife after the kids are in bed on a Saturday night as go out. I guess that means I'm getting old (even if I don't feel that old most of the time!).

A hearty thank you to all of you "Charlottians" for the updates. I now have more shops to visit beside the one at the airport.

As for lack of "culture" in Charlotte? You underestimate yourselves. I often overnight in the area when driving to and from Florida, but a couple of years ago my wife I ended up staying downtown on a Saturday night. With the car tucked somewhere in valet world, we decided to see what we could find on foot. The streets were still wet from washing as we joined the crowds walking about and dodging the horse-drawn carriages. People were wearing everything from goth to formal wear (a few tuxedos--an opera or concert, maybe?) and were civil and friendly. We had a good dinner (don't remember the restaurant's name) and then checked out the nightlife, finally getting stuck at a great Irish pub. Even found a late espresso as we headed back to the hotel. It looked like there was plenty more to explore that we may check out in the future.

Bill

Origami Ink - I've posted elsewhere about my visit. Lovely store, no visible bargains, beautiful accessories, very friendly salesman.

Forgot to mention the following: A friend and I were admiring the Visconti Wall Street fountain pen. Visconti, we were told, takes a year or more making the celluloid for the pens. They buy the celluloid from Italian movie companies to make the pens and, since there were a lot of spaghetti westerns made, that means there is probably a lot of celluloid to make into pens.

gary

Origami Ink - I've posted elsewhere about my visit. Lovely store, no visible bargains, beautiful accessories, very friendly salesman.

Forgot to mention the following: A friend and I were admiring the Visconti Wall Street fountain pen. Visconti, we were told, takes a year or more making the celluloid for the pens. They buy the celluloid from Italian movie companies to make the pens and, since there were a lot of spaghetti westerns made, that means there is probably a lot of celluloid to make into pens.

gary

That's quite funny (the spaghetti westerns/celluloid observation). Is that what the person at Origami Ink said? Or is that something you added to his info about the curing time for the celluloid? Curious.

I love the shop. Did you notice the hand-blown glass paperweights of the earth in the Visconti display? Talk about a great talking point to put on a business person's desktop. I was initially so busy focusing on the Wall Streets that I missed them. I forgot to ask the price. They're probably a lot since it seems that everything in the store is handmade by artisans.

Did you happen to notice if they had private reserve Ink? Although, I really like Noodler's (which they had a ton of color options at Origami), but i've been curious to try private reserve. I forgot to look while in there. You have an opinion on the inks?

Is that what the person at Origami Ink said?

Not verbatim, but yes.

The accessories were gorgeous. I particularly liked the bookends with lacquer (?) finish.

He also said they were going to have some events coming up in the future.

gary