Sailor Jentle Grenade Ink Review

ClassicHippie

I inked up my Pelikan M400 White Tortoise, medium vintage nib, with the new Sailor Jentle Grenade sample I ordered from Goulet Pens! The color is really beautiful and just like a Pomegranate fruit with a lovely gold-ish sheen in the light. I tried to color correct as best as possible, but the paper still looks a bit blue sometimes.

P1020469.JPG

P1020470.JPG

P1020471.JPG

P1020473.JPG

P1020474.JPG

P1020479.JPG

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• XiaoMG

• ClassicHippie

• SamCapote

• sloegin

Dear Classic Hippie,

Do you have any thoughts on how it compares to any of the Iroshizuki inks?

Thanks!

negirl

Edited by negirl

I love the gold-ish color! Looks like 1670 might have a competitor.

I'll come up with something eventually.

Dear Classic Hippie,

Do you have any thoughts on how it compares to any of the Iroshizuki inks?

Thanks!

negirl

Except for the metallic qualities, the Sailor and Iroshizuku are very similar, in my opinion. I've been working my way through samples of the the entire Iroshizuku line and it's probably my favorite brand overall. If the other Sailor inks are like Grenade, they'll definitely be top contenders in my line up. The shading is just gorgeous and the lubrication qualities are great- both quite close to Iroshizuku.

That's exactly what I thought! The darker shading in Grenade is very similar to 1670. I just love it :thumbup:

lol yes, indeed 'jentle grenade' is a rather funny contradiction. I think Grenade is also the name of a flower though, so maybe that's why.

Edited by zhangvict

That's exactly what I thought! The darker shading in Grenade is very similar to 1670. I just love it :thumbup:

I only achieved the gold in 1670 with a dip pen; my fps made it "pretty" but lacked that wow factor. But! I may have to grab a bottle of this if it shades so nicely in my fps!

As a side note, "grenade" is the French word for "pomegranate" (like epinard = spinach, pêche = peach). I think it refers to the fruit, not a small explosive device. ;)

I'll come up with something eventually.

Thanks for this. I own Iroshizuku Yama-budo and have been worried whether getting Grenade would be a bit redundant.

Edited by XiaoMG

Robert.

Not to rain on the oxymoron parade, but the ink name is I am sure referring to the pomegranate fruit; the weapon is also named after the fruit, which it resembles in shape and is also filled with small bits, like the fruit is. The ancient latin name for this fruit is something like pomme granatus (apple filled with grains, or seeds). Pomegranates left on the tree eventually burst, also like the weapon only without deadly results. See: grenadine -- pomegranate syrup.

I also suspect the ink name is supposed to be pronouced gren-ah-duh. Just guessing there though.

Oo, that's very pretty!

Is the ink water-resistant at all?

I don't know if water-resistance for not-black and not-blue-black inks is a factor in my using them anymore. But I'm still curious.

Thanks for the review and the look at such a lovely ink!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Thanks for this. I own Iroshizuku Yama-budo and have been worried whether getting Grenade would be a bit redundant.

It's similar, but different enough that I'd buy both. Yama-budo is more purple-magenta and Grenade is a reddish-fuchsia. I love both of them!

It's similar, but different enough that I'd buy both. Yama-budo is more purple-magenta and Grenade is a reddish-fuchsia. I love both of them!

Thanks. I guess I'll order a bottle, since I like the idea of a slightly redder shade. I was also going to order Apricot, and I may still do that in the future, though I'm not certain since I am using only very fine nibs and might not be able to get much out of it.

Robert.

I have this ink in two pens at the moment, and I adore the color! The greenish goldish sheen on certain papers is a lovely touch. But it is a (bleep!) to flush out. I had it in a Nakaya c/c filler and it took forever to clean the pen completely. I am positively dreading eventually cleaning the lever-filler that has this ink in it... that said, I'll still use it because it's just so beautiful (and otherwise well-behaved).

Grenade is similar to Yama-budo, but actually looks quite different side-by-side. Yama-budo is pink compared to Grenade, which looks like a dark burgundy next to Yama-budo.

As far as water-resistence goes: see this thread. I haven't tested it myself, but it appears that most of these new Sailor inks would survive at least a minor spill or a few raindrops.

Overall two thumbs-up! Just a minor ugh! re: cleaning (but that's not at all rare for a red/pink ink).

Nice review, and thank you for mentioning me :) I've been using this pen in an Edison fine as well as a Platinum Music Pen. It's different in both, I actually see much more of the pink color in the Music Pen. I get nice shading and can see the sheen in the 'wet' parts of the Edison fine. I'm eager to see what this ink looks like in other pens, it writes really nicely. It reminded me of 1670, but not quite as dark. 1670 is a darker blood red, but this is more of a pinky red, still very nice but different (and cheaper!).

Brian Goulet</br><a href='http://www.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>www.GouletPens.com</a></br><a href='http://twitter.com/GouletPens' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>GouletPens on Twitter</a></br><a href='http://blog.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Goulet Pens blog</a>

Grenade is similar to Yama-budo, but actually looks quite different side-by-side. Yama-budo is pink compared to Grenade, which looks like a dark burgundy next to Yama-budo.

Thanks for this. I just got my bottle and loaded up a TWSBI EF, and I have to agree with your assessment overall. Yama-Budo and Grenade are very different beasts when compared next to each other. The impression I get is that Yama-Budo is a purple, while Grenade is a red. I'm not getting any super-cool effects with my humble EF nib, but it's a nice color and shades a fair amount even with a fine line.

At first I was a bit ambivalent, since it seemed a little red-brown to my eye, but I think it's growing on me.

Robert.

I keep returning to this review and even though I have Oku-Yama, I might have to add this to the next order I make. The color appeals for some reason that I can't quite figure out.

"The pen is the tongue of the mind." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra Don Quixote