Noodler's Purple Wampum

Viseguy

The deep purple color of this ink was difficult to capture on-screen. The Q-tip did it greater justice than the medium nib in my rOtring Core. But the writing sample below, done on an Ampad Gold Fibre mini-legal pad, may give you an idea why the phrases "purple ink" and "suitable for business use" can now be used plausibly in the same sentence. ;) Although I'm a blue-black kind of guy (at least when it comes to professional matters), I wouldn't hesitate to enlist Purple Wampum as an everyday work(horse) ink for most purposes, short of signing formal correspondence or legal documents.

With a wet-writing nib, PW might seem nearly black at first glance, but my soak test (not pictured) shows that there is no black component here. There is, however, some magenta that remains on the page after a dunk, giving this non-waterproof ink a good degree of water resistance.

PW flows well, neither too fast nor too slow. The drying time is excellent, both on the Ampad and on cheap, recycled paper -- I mean fast! (lefties take note). There was no bleedthrough or feathering in the writing sample, including the Q-tip swatches.

If you're looking for an attractive color that's a little off the beaten path but not at all garish, Noodler's Purple Wampum may be for you.

Enjoy! :bunny1:

post-35-1162873948_thumb.jpg

Edited by Viseguy

Viseguy

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Viseguy

• Margana

• FLZapped

• Melnicki

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm swamped by all the purples by Noodler's... (and they keep coming)... They all look the same to me (from the scans)... Is there a purplemaniac on here that has most of them that can comment on how PW is different from Violet, Purple, Purple Martin, La Coleur Royale, Concord Bream (which I believe is a lot lighter?), and any others I've forgotten.

When I write with Iraqi Indigo next to La Coleur Royale, the only difference I note is the chalkiness of I.I. and the deeep saturation of LCR, but they look like the same hue to me (especially when I.I. is wet).

Click for Ink Scans!!

WTB: (Blemished OK)

CdA Dunas // Stipulas! (esp w/ Titanio nib) // Edison Pearl

Violet and La Couleur Royale are quite similar to my eye. Couleur Royale is a bit more blue, and Violet is a more straight-up violet, but not a huge difference in the bottles I have.

Thanks for writing the review. Is there any purple ink that is similar in color to Purple Wampum? I like that you almost have to look twice to see that it's actually a purple. But it still would need to look different from other inks on the market to entice me to buy yet another bottle of purple ink. <_<

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

But it still would need to look different from other inks on the market to entice me to buy yet another bottle of purple ink. <_<

So you're a purpleholic, Margana!!

Click for Ink Scans!!

WTB: (Blemished OK)

CdA Dunas // Stipulas! (esp w/ Titanio nib) // Edison Pearl

But it still would need to look different from other inks on the market to entice me to buy yet another bottle of purple ink.  <_<

So you're a purpleholic, Margana!!

I wish it was only purple... :blink:

A certified Inkophile

PW is much darker than La Couleur Royale and Iraqi Indigo.

Easy way is to put a couple together:

-Bruce

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/FLZapped/Iraqi_Indigo_sm.jpg

post-35-1162873948.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/FLZapped/Iraqi_Indigo2.jpg

Edit: Spelling

Edited by FLZapped

Interesting, that is much darker than Iraqi Indigo that I've used. Mine is, to use an analogy I found here on FPN, the exact color of an old "Ditto." (And with that reference I have just confused kissing and all the other dear young things.)

Which is darker, Wampum or Purple Martin?

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

Interesting, that is much darker than Iraqi Indigo that I've used. Mine is, to use an analogy I found here on FPN, the exact color of an old "Ditto." (And with that reference I have just confused kissing and all the other dear young things.)

Which is darker, Wampum or Purple Martin?

Iraqi Indigo reminds me of the purple ink they use to mark meat.

-Bruce

Can any of you who are scanning and posting those luscious purples by any chance find some Private Reserve Tanzanite in your collections and post it alongside? I recently put it into a broader nib and found it was much purpler than it had seemed in a medium nibbed Parker Classic....

Can any of you who are scanning and posting those luscious purples by any chance find some Private Reserve Tanzanite in your collections and post it alongside?  I recently put it into a broader nib and found it was much purpler than it had seemed in a medium nibbed Parker Classic....

Here you go: Tanzanite and Wampum, side by side. I've always perceived Tanzanite as more purple than blue, but in this comparison.... Well, judge for yourself. :)

post-35-1162960276_thumb.jpg

Viseguy

I'll always have a bottle of Tanzanite around for my finicky pens, but I think I see my next Noodler's shade! :)

Thanks Viceguy!

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

Tanzanite never looked so blue. Thanks, Viseguy!

A certified Inkophile

Thank you so much.

And it does amaze me how the Purple Wampum makes the Tanzanite look so blue. I bought it as a blue. It's my only blue, and next to my other inks it had been looking very purple, but now it's blue again....

Oh the wonders of inks.

Susan

Tanzanite never looked so blue. Thanks, Viseguy!

...it does amaze me how the Purple Wampum makes the Tanzanite look so blue.  I bought it as a blue.  It's my only blue, and next to my other inks it had been looking very purple, but now it's blue again....

I've always thought of Tanzanite as a purple ink myself. Ditto La Couleur Royale (Nathan's answer to Tanzanite). So I was surprised as both of you were by the comparison. My scanner's pretty accurate, too. Or so others have told me, who've seen scans of my writing samples and the samples themselves. :)

BTW, the Tanzanite didn't bleed through or feather on that Ampad paper, either (just like the Wampum). I really laid it on thick with the Q-tip, too. Good stuff, that Ampad Gold Fibre (and those inks ;) ).

Viseguy

• 1 month later...

Just to follow up... here's a post-soak scan of 4 inks, starting with Noodler's Purple Wampum. The Wampum held up really well after a half-hour of immersion, including some agitation under water.

PR Tanzanite held up less well, although it did not totally disappear. The third ink is OMAS Sepia, which washed away completely in the first 30 seconds. Finally, as a control, Noodler's Luxury Blue.

post-35-1167177654_thumb.jpg

Viseguy

Tanzanite is blue not purple.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?