The Perfect Pocket Note Book.

magicryan

Alright! So my life-long obsession began when I was a child watching Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, where Henry Jones has that BEAUTIFUL Grail diary. Ever since I've been filling notebooks with random pieces feeling rather Jones-esque.

Currently I own several Quo Vadis Habana's, a Semikolon A5, a couple Pasha notebooks (NOT FP friendly!), and have been through Moleskine (not impressed I might add).

I am currently wishing to find the PERFECT pocket notebook.

Soft leather cover,

the more pages the merrier,

elastic closure

smooth, FP friendly paper ( I LOVE the paper in the Quo Vadis!)

Must be rugged enough to take years of abuse, yet fit in a back pocket.

Any suggestions?

I'm considering a Graphic Image Pocket notebook, a Design.y 288, or a Ciak (unsure of the quality of the Ciak).

"Full Effort is Full Satisfaction."

- Mahatma Mohandos K Gandhi

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dapv

• JefferyS

• cubic archon

• magicryan

Rhodia webnotebook? I'm not sure they are in that size, but their paper is better for FP, and they have elastic bands.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

I've considered Rhodia before, however I'm looking more for a genuine leather soft cover

"Full Effort is Full Satisfaction."

- Mahatma Mohandos K Gandhi

You could look at an Allan's Journal - http://www.bibles-direct.co.uk/products/?c=34

They don't have elastic, and they have very fine ruling and very thin paper (so need a thin pen and an ink with limited show-through) but they feel absolutely terrific and have an awful lot of pages, even given the high price. The paper is also very high quality despite the thickness and has no problem with any ink I've tried it with.

You could look at an Allan's Journal - http://www.bibles-direct.co.uk/products/?c=34

They don't have elastic, and they have very fine ruling and very thin paper (so need a thin pen and an ink with limited show-through) but they feel absolutely terrific and have an awful lot of pages, even given the high price. The paper is also very high quality despite the thickness and has no problem with any ink I've tried it with.

I checked them out thanks for the link. Their stuff looks really superb quality, pricey. but it looks worth it. Sadly everything seems to be out of stock. With rebindings due early this year (hey this is 'early this year'!), I'll definitely be checking this site out regularly. Morocco leather is my absolute favourite cover binding of all time.

Jim and I have been on the quest for the perfect notebook for sometime. No luck. Let us known if you find it.

Are you sure you want lots of pages in your back pocket?

The back pocket thing almost rules out binders, like Filofax pocket and mini formats, unless you keep remembering to pull it out when you sit down. Pocket has some models in small rings, and I think mini always has small rings. The ones without billfold pocket in the cover would be thinner.

I haven't used Ciak, but they are leather covers and chunky thick with pages.

Midori Traveler in passport size would sound good, but the refills would get expensive. You could substitute Rhodia cahiers, but they're a smaller size.

Make one yourself http://michaelshannon.us/makeabook/index.html

I spent weeks searching for my perfect journal/notebook and could never find it, making your own is easy, you get exactly what you want, and will doubtlessly be far more robust than anything commercially available.

politician and idiot are synonymous terms - Mark Twain

Personally, as a pocket notebook I have a Rhodia pad in a leather cover. The notes I take in there I expect to copy up very soon. The only semi-permanent notes there are my shopping list.

As I recall, Jones, Sr.'s notebook was very thick, much thicker than a Moleskine, and fairly bendy. Would be nice, I think.

I use notecard sized cards in a leather CIRCA that is wallet sized. I transfer the info to Tinderbox and discard the cards.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Hi,

I don't know if this helps, but I just got a couple of these Exacompta journals at writersbloc.com. At $14.50 it is barely more than a refill journal and you get the nice journal cover. I think they are very nice.

http://www.shopwritersbloc.com/exacompta-basics-gold-or-silver-edged-journal-with-madeira-cover.html

I have made several orders through them, and they have been excellent to deal with and pretty good prices.

I can recommend the Guildhall-notebooks. Like Moleskine, but better paper and they lie flat.

<p style="text-align: right;">

Rom 7:15

</p>

• 3 weeks later...

It's funny that you mention Henry Jones' Grail notebook. I watched that movie again recently, and it also sent me on the war path for the perfect notebook.

• 4 months later...

How about the Exacompta Guulliver or Madeira they only run $13 are refillable well made and you will get years of use out of one, and save a ton, instead of buying a $70 cover you can buy 6 of these...

there are some listed in the FS paper section...

A gentleman is one who puts more into the world than he takes out.

http://clipart.usscouts.org/library/BSA_Character_Counts/thumbnails/cub_scouts_char_counts_co.giffpn_1364474496__woundedwarriorlogo03.jpg

How about the Exacompta Guulliver or Madeira they only run $13 are refillable well made and you will get years of use out of one, and save a ton, instead of buying a $70 cover you can buy 6 of these...

there are some listed in the FS paper section...

Oh man, that Madeira looks really nice. You will definitely hear from me on Friday.

• 3 months later...

I think Indiana Jones' journal has been my inspiration as well since I was a kid :P Never found one I truly liked until I made my own, though. I find there's always something "wrong". What I hate the most is when you find one you think is nice (at first glance) and then open it and the paper has flowers on it or there are inspirational quotes or some other detail you just don't want. Nah... make your own or get them custom made. Look for workshops where they do classes in bookbinding and you make your own over two days or something. I'm never going to buy another journal again, that's for sure.

Edited by LamyDude