What Is Your Opinion Of Cartier Pens?

roller

It has been my understanding for a long while that Cartier and MB are owned by the same parent company. I thought MB made Cartier's nibs. These perceptions were gleened from information I got at a couple of pen shows.

I have tried several Cartier FP's, but I do not own any. The impression I got was that they are well made and write very well. I considered buying a Diablo, but I decided the nib was just too small for my taste and writing habits. I agree with many of the others that Cartier's products are way too expensive for my wallet.

The Richemont Group own Montblanc, Cartier, Dunhill as well as Baume & Mercier, Piaget, Vacheron Constantin and in my mind, one of the truly great old firms, James Purdey & Sons.

But I don't see from that anything that says much beyond the fact that they are all luxury goods companies.

My Website

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• rwilsonedn

• sirksael

• roller

It has been my understanding for a long while that Cartier and MB are owned by the same parent company. I thought MB made Cartier's nibs. These perceptions were gleened from information I got at a couple of pen shows.

I have tried several Cartier FP's, but I do not own any. The impression I got was that they are well made and write very well. I considered buying a Diablo, but I decided the nib was just too small for my taste and writing habits. I agree with many of the others that Cartier's products are way too expensive for my wallet.

The Richemont Group own Montblanc, Cartier, Dunhill as well as Baume & Mercier, Piaget, Vacheron Constantin and in my mind, one of the truly great old firms, James Purdey & Sons.

But I don't see from that anything that says much beyond the fact that they are all luxury goods companies.

Now that raises an interesting question. Would it make sense for Cartier, with their presumably much higher volumes and deeper experience with gold alloys, to make the nibs, or at least the nib sheet-stock, for BM?

ron

A nib is quite different than a ring or necklace. Nibs require very different skill sets and areas of expertise and you need a group of highly specialized nib makers who know how to make a nib that works well. Jewelry making is an entirely different set of skills. Of course, if you wanted to set some pretty stones in a pen after it was made then the best people for that would be the jewelry artisans.

Edited by Kimo

A nib is quite different than a ring or necklace. Nibs require very different skill sets and areas of expertise and you need a group of highly specialized nib makers who know how to make a nib that works well. Jewelry making is an entirely different set of skills. Of course, if you wanted to set some pretty stones in a pen after it was made then the best people for that would be the jewelry artisans.

I'm not so sure of that, if you think of jewelry in terms of the entire range of things jewelers do, rather than just factory-produced wedding rings. Beyond gold rings, there are much larger setting that must be light and flexible, decorative boxes and other such trinkets, and even mechanical automata. Isn't it correct that jewelers were the source of many of the tipped 14K nibs used in US pens early in the 20th century, primarily because of their skill in developing alloys and their ability at welding dissimilar metals together? Many of those nibs were and still are quite wonderful, especially compared to the modern work of companies that proclaim themselves to be possessed of specialized nib-makers.

ron

Can only comment on the Louis Cartier fountain pen that started sometime in the early 2000s IIRC. I have the composite model in white trim and have this to say about it:

--Very high build quality;

--Metal section but very well designed. It is fluted and has a nice geometry to it;

--Nib quality is very high and the cartridge/convertor system works well. Inkflow is fantastic but not if you are a fan of the wet noodle, especially on this pen with its relatively stiff nib;

--The composite material appears to be some kind of plastic that has been carefully and well finished. There are no seam marks or injection molding or casting giveways; and

--Design and aesthetics are what I consider sophisticated. The design has no superfluous bulges, curves, or other graphic exclamation points. It is quite simple and well finished down to its well implemented clip and well finished hardware. The body is fluted and this design is carried over into the metal section...a nice way to unify the design.

Having said all these great things the one thing I don't like, having owned this now for many years, is the metal section. It is slippery and not conducive to a good communion with the pen.

Thanks for asking.

I would buy one at about the same rate that I would buy a Cartier laptop. In other words not at all.

I was told by the management at the Cartier store in NYC that Cartier pens are designed and manufactured in-house by Cartier. The nib is supplied by Montblanc and further "tweaked" by Cartier themselves to meet their specifications. The nib is stamped "Cartier" and NOT MB.

I own MB, Cartier & Dupont pens. They are all superb; albeit different. I prefer the pasha & Louis Cartier lines...and I think the workmanship/craftsmanship is absolutely top notch. When you hold a Cartier in your hand...you know you are handling a luxury product.

Yes..they are overpriced. But much like Dupont pens their street value is much less than their retail.

If you like MB...you'll love Cartier. I think they take the finished product further than MB, IMHO. That being said, I'd prefer a Dupont to a Cartier. I prefer both to MB, with the exception being the 149.

One thing to keep in mind...if you purchase a Cartier pen (or any Cartier product for that matter) at one of their boutique stores, it is guaranteed for the life of the original owner. So if you take the plunge (which I have)...you have the peace of mind in knowing that your Cartier pen will be a companion for your entire life. To me, the higher price is justified given the lifetime guarantee. That includes polishing/repairing/replating/etc.

I agree with the poster who opined that those who purchase a Cartier pen don't really intend to resell it. So resale value is not a factor to most Cartier owners.

Edited by Ron Sabbagh

"The truth shall set you free..." John 8:32

"When in doubt, tell the truth.." Mark Twain

• 2 years later...

I was told by the management at the Cartier store in NYC that Cartier pens are designed and manufactured in-house by Cartier. The nib is supplied by Montblanc and further "tweaked" by Cartier themselves to meet their specifications. The nib is stamped "Cartier" and NOT MB.

I own MB, Cartier & Dupont pens. They are all superb; albeit different. I prefer the pasha & Louis Cartier lines...and I think the workmanship/craftsmanship is absolutely top notch. When you hold a Cartier in your hand...you know you are handling a luxury product.

Yes..they are overpriced. But much like Dupont pens their street value is much less than their retail.

If you like MB...you'll love Cartier. I think they take the finished product further than MB, IMHO. That being said, I'd prefer a Dupont to a Cartier. I prefer both to MB, with the exception being the 149.

One thing to keep in mind...if you purchase a Cartier pen (or any Cartier product for that matter) at one of their boutique stores, it is guaranteed for the life of the original owner. So if you take the plunge (which I have)...you have the peace of mind in knowing that your Cartier pen will be a companion for your entire life. To me, the higher price is justified given the lifetime guarantee. That includes polishing/repairing/replating/etc.

I agree with the poster who opined that those who purchase a Cartier pen don't really intend to resell it. So resale value is not a factor to most Cartier owners.

With respect to both yourself and Cartier, I must point out that a Lifetime Warranty is also included on any writing instrument from A.T. Cross and at a MUCH lower price point. I just had a 20 year old £33 chrome Century fountain pen replaced free of charge. And they also returned the original pen.

Pens and paper everywhere, yet all our hearts did sink,

Pens and paper everywhere, but not a drop of ink.

"Cursive writing does not mean what I think it does"

Talking about Cartiers, I only have one, a black Diabolo with an M nib Itali-Fine by Richard Binder, and brown bag treated by myself recently. I call her Carrie

Yesterday I went to have lunch at a club in the center of town, being a member, I had to register a guest that went with me, so I used Carrie to write his name, ink is PR Tanzanite diluted 1:1 with water.

The man at the gate was amazed with both pen and ink, he asked: where did you get that pen? and the ink?

I must add that the nib is so smooth, like a soapy finger on a glass.

I like it and hope to keep it for the rest of my life. Not my favorite pen though, but one of my favorites nibs.

Cheers,

Gilberto

Gilberto Castañeda

I admit to owning two Cartier pens, a Louis Cartier Composite Plaqué Or, in English "plastic with gold-plated furniture", and a Diabolo, acier damas, ébène et finition platine, translated "Damascene steel, ebony and platinum furniture (LE)". The Louis was bought in 1998, the Diabolo in 2006. Both were relatively expensive but look and feel the part. They also look and feel like luxury Waterman pens: stiff but very smooth. Also the shape and size of the nibs is very Waterman. I would say that Cartier and Montblanc may be owned by the same Richemont Group (and Cartier earlier on owned MB) but that is where the similarity ends.

I own one Cartier. It is my most expensive pen sofar, The Roman Numerals. I still find it stunning, among my most beautiful if not THE most beautiful of my pens. But I found the nib just blahh. Until I had it ground to a medium Italic by Fountainbel. He did a great jib.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

• 4 months later...

I bought my Cartier pen thinking I was buying a quality product. It is three years old and very gently used. It has not even had two ink cartridges run through it and it fell apart in my hand. Actually, the twist actuator failed on it. I sent it in for repair and they want $52 to fix it and tell that it is "routine maintenance." When I protested, I was given the run around by the repair center. Despite numerous requests to talk to someone, they won't even talk to me on the telephone because they can't explain how this could be considered "routine maintenance." They only reply via email and do not address the issues. Poor product, over priced, and poor service. A piece of junk. My Mont Blanc pen that I used for 22 years never needed any "routine maintenance." For $350 I expect more. Buy Mont Blanc or some other pen. Don't waste your money on Cartier.

Edited by Cliff64

I have the Cartier Roadster its a handsome pen, I did not pay full price, but the nib is excellent and smooth. Their one of the few companies that polish their nibs. Would I pay full price on it no, but this is not a flame when I say that its no more overpriced than some other prestige pens.

http://www.paradisepen.com/assets/product_images/PAAAIAONDCMGPPHB.jpg

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

Just not my style. I dont like pens with metal grip section because my hand bleeds too much sweat. Cartier seems to make only pens with metal grip section

Moderately priced, well made, not exactly styles I like.

Have you seen the lacquer Must fountain pens, rollerball pens, ballpoint pens, and pencils as well as the lacquer Must II ballpoint pens and pencils from the 1980's and 1990's? They are quite nice. So nice that I own several. ; )

I must admit that I am not fond of the Diabolo, Roadster, Panthere, Pasha, Louis Cartier, and Vendome pens -- no offense to anyone. My tastes are for the simpler lacquer of the Must and Must II models.

Edited by elysee

Have you seen the lacquer Must fountain pens, rollerball pens, ballpoint pens, and pencils as well as the lacquer Must II ballpoint pens and pencils from the 1980's and 1990's? They are quite nice. So nice that I own several. ; )

I must admit that I am not fond of the Diabolo, Roadster, Panthere, Pasha, Louis Cartier, and Vendome pens -- no offense to anyone. My tastes are for the simpler lacquer of the Must and Must II models.

I've seen them and even thought about one once. But then a lacquer Gatsby showed up and I moved in with it.

My Website