Akkerman Shocking Blue Compared To Diamine Majestic Blue

geoduc

Here are both inks written with the same pen. The Majestic Blue is ever so slightly darker, but that could be because I was using the remnants of an old sample. The color tone is the same, and both show the characteristic red shimmer in the areas where the ink has pooled. To my eye, these inks are likely one and the same.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5132/5543529803_65dc2f60b8_z.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• geoduc

• amberleadavis

• I.M.

That's my impression comparing the two as well.

On an unrelated note, it sure seems like there are quite a few quick brown foxes out there jumping over bunches of lazy dogs!!! Many people are reporting frequent such instances!

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Hi,

I perceive a slight difference in density (light - dark), but the colours seem very much the same.

If you've had the opportunity to use them for written samples, is there any difference as to how they run in a pen / on different papers, etc.?

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

The foxes do seem to be especially frisky with the coming of Spring. :lol:

Hi,

I perceive a slight difference in density (light - dark), but the colours seem very much the same.

If you've had the opportunity to use them for written samples, is there any difference as to how they run in a pen / on different papers, etc.?

Bye,

S1

The Akkerman inks just showed up a couple of days ago and I've only had the chance to test one pen/paper combination so far. This post was just intended as a quick color comparison since there has been some speculation about whether the Akkerman inks are made by Diamine. I'll spend a little more time with them and then will write up full reviews.

Through my monitor, they look to be the same, or nearly identical. I'd also be interested to hear how they compare in performance.

The foxes do seem to be especially frisky with the coming of Spring. :lol:

Hi,

Bye,

S1

The Akkerman inks just showed up a couple of days ago and I've only had the chance to test one pen/paper combination so far. This post was just intended as a quick color comparison since there has been some speculation about whether the Akkerman inks are made by Diamine. I'll spend a little more time with them and then will write up full reviews.

Hi,

As always, I look forward to your Reviews. :thumbup:

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Ahhhhh I'm so excited! I've already gone through a fair amount of Diamine Majestic Blue, so the thought of getting a lovely Akkerman-sized bottle leaves me drooling.

it is also telling that Phil from Liverpool remained silent about this question so far. He could have denied a business relationship between Diamine and Akkerman already, if we were wrong abot the ink's origin.

• 1 year later...

... so has anybody had a chance to get to know this ink well enough to provide a review? I'd also be interested to know how it compares with Majestic Blue. Is it sticky? Does it bleed or feather? etc. etc.

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I've tried searching here for "Akkerman Shocking Blue Review" and have come up with zero hits. :mellow:

... so has anybody had a chance to get to know this ink well enough to provide a review? I'd also be interested to know how it compares with Majestic Blue. Is it sticky? Does it bleed or feather? etc. etc.

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I've tried searching here for "Akkerman Shocking Blue Review" and have come up with zero hits. :mellow:

You can see the fade results on this thread.

I can tell you the Akkerman inks are well behaved. I love the bright colors. They aren't exactly the same as the Diamine when I've compared them side by side, but they are similar.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Paper chromatography is a fast and very accurate way to determine if two inks are identical.

I use chromatography paper [really just a not-too-absorbent filter paper] and a jar with a small slit cut in the lid through which to drop the strip. Results for some blue/blacks (note the results for Aurora/Pelikan black and Waterman/Parker blue-black: without much doubt these are pairs of the same inks) A chromatographical search...

Lots of instructions on the web science buddies, chemguide

Edited by Nicholas Lindan

Paper chromatography is a fast and very accurate way to determine if two inks are identical...

Quite true! I haven't yet compared these two blues from these two companies, but here's a similar comparison of their iron-gall blue blacks (A = Akkerman's IJzer-Galnoten bl/zw vs D = Diamine's Registrar's Ink):

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/AkkermanvsDiamineIG--blue-blacks-1.jpg

I say "quite true" because I am still of the opinion that such inks may be, say, 99% the same as re dye content, but they may still vary between 0.01 and 1% in regard to surfactants/detergents/tensides and/or anti-biologicals such as 0.01+% phenol or sodium azide

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

• 4 weeks later...

Wow Amber, were you able to see anything out of your windows when you did that experiment? You certainly tested a lot of written samples.

Since chemistry wasn't really one of my strengths, I doubt that at this early stage of experience with fountain pens and inks I'll be able to gain much knowledge by using chromatography paper.

I think what I'd really like to know, aside from the usual flow/bleedthrough/feather characteristics is above all is; is there a sheen with the Akkerman? I recently tried out the Majestic Blue and that red sheen really put me off the ink. Since then I've discovered blue-black inks which are keeping me happy.

Anyway, thank you to everyone who replied :)

Edited by I.M.

Almost a dead ringer.

Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right

to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers,

and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie. Revelation 22:14-15

Despite the chromatography, the inks look noticeably different in the sample in the first post.

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

And to think I've never considered Majestic Blue to be all that shocking....

My sentiments exactly. I'd say Majestic blue is more majestic than Shocking blue is shocking. I have Majestic blue and like it, but for shocking, I prefer Asa blue from Diamine.

Thanks. So Akkerman inks seem to be a real quality/price contender.

With love,

goldenkrishna

Ik tik

• 5 months later...

And to think I've never considered Majestic Blue to be all that shocking....

My sentiments exactly. I'd say Majestic blue is more majestic than Shocking blue is shocking. I have Majestic blue and like it, but for shocking, I prefer Asa blue from Diamine.

Just to state the obvious: all Akkerman inks have names giving homage to The Hague, as the ink line was introduced for their 100 year anniversary of their store in The Hague.

And Shocking Blue is a famous The Hague band from the 60s, making it big internationally:

Latest additions: Aurora Dante Inferno (B), Graf Von Faber Castell Classic Wood Ebony (OM), La Couronne Du Comte Willem van Oranje (M), Montblanc Writers Edition Cervantes (M), Aurora Optima Cento Riflessi Limited Edition (B)