Converter and cartridge capacities.

Bruno Taut

After searching the Net for information on the capacities of cartridges and converters I decided to measure them myself. These are the results.

Procedure: I weighted the cartridge or converter dry and empty. Filled them with water with a syringe. Weight again. The procedure was repeated three times. 1 g of water is 1 ml.

The values are, I reckon, a higher limit. By filling the converters attached to the pen one can hardly achieve a full filling of them.

The errors associated to the actual differences in density between water and ink are irrelevant.

Not being American myself, I use the very rational International System of units.

PILOT:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-xcSVe9lUMp0/TYH7zsrl6hI/AAAAAAAABjM/VW1mnY91uls/s1600/Table%2BPilot%2Bconverters-WM.jpg

PLATINUM:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-A17lJWDvmlk/TWu8S7noURI/AAAAAAAABcU/ciWLq_c4NOM/s1600/Table%2BPlatinum%2Bconverters-WM.jpg

SAILOR (Chalana series cartridge and converter NOT included):

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-OtBiu3DFRVc/TXPAL8xMLKI/AAAAAAAABfM/ZeuUl_RB7RA/s1600/Table%2BSailor%2Bconverters2-WM.jpg

Click on the pics for more information and pictures on the converters and on the modification to make them fit in some Platinum and Sailor pens.

Prices are in yen without taxes, in JAPAN.

Cheers,

Iosepus

Edited by Iosepus

Bruno Taut - Crónicas Estilográficas (https://estilofilos.blogspot.com)

The contents and pictures of this post belong to the author, here identified as Bruno Taut.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jde

• nicholasyeo

• Bruno Taut

• Koyote

Top Posters In This Topic

True, you may not get as full when filling with the converter attached to the pen...But this will get you some ink in the pen's feed (which is not measured by your method), so they may cancel out a bit.

Thanks for this post! Appreciate the great info and your efforts to provide it.

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

Useful information! I love the Sailor converter design and construction despite it's quantity,

and I like the Con-70 for it's large capacity. I am however expanding into piston fillers...

Thanks for the information! I'm amazed at the huge capacity of Sailor cartridges, though (1.2 ml). I always thought that they were much smaller than Pilot or Platinum cartridges.

True, you may not get as full when filling with the converter attached to the pen...But this will get you some ink in the pen's feed (which is not measured by your method), so they may cancel out a bit.

One of the times when I flushed my Pilot 78G with an OEM version of the CON-20, I did a rudimentary capacity test.

Filling the pen & converter with water, I extracted the water from the converter with a syringe and got about 0.5 ml from the converter.

Attaching the converter to the pen and blowing out the feed, a similar but slightly less amount came out of the feed.

I'm going to try this method again when I get some CON-50 converters.

In Ottawa, Ontario? Check out The Ottawa Pen Posse

• 1 year later...

Not really, unless you manage to force out the extra air, the feed and converter will hold in total, the amount of air that the converter can displace.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

I wasn't a terribly big fan of the CON-70 until I realized it could be disassembled for cleaning when I swap inks. Makes the demonstrator version of the C74 look much nicer too.

For my Capless models, cartridges are the way to go.

Robert.