oblique nib holders

PacificCoastPen

There are several oblique holders available ... Century, Blackwell ... others ... most of what I'm reading, indicate that certain holders are for certain nibs and that there are particular nibs will not fit into certain holders. So, you have more than one holder?

I have several holders, all of which I like for various reasons, but the most versatile is undoubtedly

the Hourglass Adjustable Oblique Holder (Rosewood) from Paper and Ink Arts as it takes every nib right

down to crowquill size. The nibs are held securely with a screw.

Ken

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/handandnib600.jpg

Thank you, Ken. I'll go take a look at that holder. Sounds exactly what I would want.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randal6393

• USMCMom

• smk

• Achim

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you, Ken. I'll go take a look at that holder. Sounds exactly what I would want.

I know that it's a dreadful photo but it does show the three-layer flange system for accepting any size of nib.

Ken

Edited by caliken

My favorite holder is the Blackwell holder. It is similar to the Hourglass Adjustable in that it also has an adjustable screw and can hold a broad selection of nibs.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

• 4 months later...

I've also been looking into these, I am looking into the Century holder. Should I just spend the few dollars extra and get the Hourglass Adjustable? Also, what nibs should I look at for Copperplate?

Thanks, Mustard

Edited by Mustard

It takes twice the man to ride half the bike.

I've also been looking into these, I am looking into the Century holder. Should I just spend the few dollars extra and get the Hourglass Adjustable? Also, what nibs should I look at for Copperplate?

Thanks, Mustard

IMO the adjustable holder is well worth the money. The Century holder keeps the nib at a preset angle and if thats not the perfect angle for your hand you'll constantly be fighting it. My suggestion is to get both - its good have more than one nib ready for practice at any given time. It also makes comparing nibs easy.

This is good advice from higher up in the thread (the Brause 66EF is a smaller nib than the others and requires a holder that can take it - its an excellent nib).

I've been visiting their site (yesterday and today), trying to figure out what holder I need. I'm right handed, so I know about that, but there are so many to choose from! As for nibs, I was looking at the Gillot 303 and 404, the Hunt 101, Principal EF, Hiro 40 and the Brause 66EF. Think those are ok to begin with??

Nola, that sounds like a good selection. All of the nibs are fairly flexible, some moreso than others. I would say the 303, 101, EF, and 66EF in one group, the 404 and 40 in another. I like the flexible ones for most copperplate -- but, the 404 and 40, being a bit less flexible, have excellent shape to their letters. One FPN'er recommended at least three of each -- I think he is right about that. You should get a good idea about which of the nibs suit your style best once you try all those. Have fun,

I've also been looking into these, I am looking into the Century holder. Should I just spend the few dollars extra and get the Hourglass Adjustable? Also, what nibs should I look at for Copperplate?Thanks, Mustard

I have a Century holder. While it will not hold as many nibs as the holder with screws(or at least it will not hold them as easy) it has been great for me. It has made a huge difference in my roundhand. The metal flange will hold most nibs just fine, some of the larger ones I had to pull the flange out and adjust it a bit insert the nib and then reinsert the flange into the pen. This is more cumbersome than the holders with screws(from what I gather) but it does the job.

-Alan

• 10 months later...

Excellent info here!

Still, wow. $40 is a huge chunk for those of us wanting to practice and learn and see if we have what it takes? I'm already up to $40 in a book and nibs I want to try! Gotta respect this guy's efforts on youtube to make one for himself. Look up "Calligraphy art Oblique Pen Holder" if the forum doesn't allow youtube links (I'm not sure, newbie here).

Salman those are some very nice pens. Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing. Will you be making Oblique pen holders?

-Alan

Salman those are some very nice pens. Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing. Will you be making Oblique pen holders?

Thanks Alan. I have made several oblique holders - in fact I started out with one (...this one).

Here are a few that I use regularly (I made No.s 3 to 6):

fpn_1334259429__holders-group2-numbered.jpg

Here's a copy I made of a 12-inch long Magnusson (sans the ivory and decoration of course) and a shorter one because I liked the style:

DSCF2290.JPG

I have been uploading pictures to the Pen making and turning forum from time to time. Here are a couple:

The Stingray

The leaf

I like making them and it keeps me out of trouble :-)

Salman

Again they are just wonderful love all of them. Do you like the short ones betters? do the long ones help to keep them balanced?

-Alan

Thank you Alan. I don't think the long ones balance any better. The Magnusson replica is a tad top-heavy but once you get used to it you don't feel it any longer. My favourites are No. 3 and 5 above. The short one next to the Magnusson replica is great for Spencerian practice.

Here's a sample of my writing with No.3:

fpn_1332886834__obliqueholder-sample.jpg

Salman

• 1 year later...

Hi There,

I am relatively new to copperplate calligraphy and I'd really appreciate some advice on the topic of oblique nib holders. I've been using a plastic moulded one which makes a huge difference and am thinking of purchasing a nicer one, possibly something like the zanerian oblique pen holder. I cant find anywhere in the UK that stocks them though, I'd prefer this to save on P & P costs and delivery time if possible.

Does anyone out there know of a UK retailer who sells good quality wooden oblique nib holders please?

Regards

April

Hi There,

I am relatively new to copperplate calligraphy and I'd really appreciate some advice on the topic of oblique nib holders. I've been using a plastic moulded one which makes a huge difference and am thinking of purchasing a nicer one, possibly something like the zanerian oblique pen holder. I cant find anywhere in the UK that stocks them though, I'd prefer this to save on P & P costs and delivery time if possible.

Does anyone out there know of a UK retailer who sells good quality wooden oblique nib holders please?

Regards

April

A holder with an adjustable flange, such as the Zanerian, is vast improvement over the cheap molded plastic ones. There is no comparison. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a source for decent holders in the UK. In fact, I don't know if there is anyone outside the U.S. selling decent holders. Your best shot is to try http://www.johnnealbooks.com or http://www.paperinkarts.com or better still, http://www.etsy.com/shop/UniqueObliques and have Musinkman (Brian Smith) from this board make you a beautiful custom holder. A have several.

Edited by Mickey

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

Hi There,

Thanks so much for answering my question. I will certainly look at the links you've posted. I had hoped someone might send me a link to 1 fairly standard holder and so to have 3 great places to look is superb.

Regards

April

A holder with an adjustable flange, such as the Zanerian, is vast improvement over the cheap molded plastic ones. There is no comparison. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a source for decent holders in the UK. In fact, I don't know if there is anyone outside the U.S. selling decent holders. Your best shot is to try http://www.johnnealbooks.com or http://www.paperinkarts.com or better still, http://www.etsy.com/shop/UniqueObliques and have Musinkman (Brian Smith) from this board make you a beautiful custom holder. A have several.

Actually, whether we outside the USA like Spencerian Script or not, we have a lot to be grateful for in this regard.

If my history is correct, after 75 years or so, the 'Golden Age of Ornamental Penmanship' in the US ended around 1925. Interest virually dried up and the revivalist movement, spearheaded by Michael Sull, didn't emerge until around 1984. Since then, interest in Spencerian Script in the US has gone from strength to strength and IAMPETH is alive and well. This revival has resulted in a healthy interest in oblique penholders and flexible nibs. We, elsewhere, have benefitted greatly from this rehewal of interest. Although Spencerian Script was virtually unknown ouitside the USA, beautiful penholders began to appear, which fortunately, were equally useful for English Roundhand (Copperplate). There was always a minority interest in Roundhand elsewhere, but nothing to compare with the huge effect of the Spencerian phenomenon in the US.

Without this revival of interest, it's very doubtful if these penholders and nibs would have been commercially available at all. Besides the Century and Zanerian holders, there would have been no Brian and Salman producing wonderful holders and no Mickey to advise us on the subtle differences between nibs.

So, rather than complain about their unavailability outside the US, I consider those of us on this side of the pond, to be very lucky, and I'm very grateful to be able to acquire these indispensible tools - even if it means waiting a week or so.

Mickey has already listed the best sources.

Ken

Edited by caliken

Hi There,

Absolutely, I quite agree that celebrating the community of calligraphers is core. Being able to access the resources on sites such as Iampeth has made the deciding contribution to my actively practising calligraphy again.

It is a personal trait of mine though that I can lack patience in some situations. Maybe awaiting the delivery of my oblique nib holder is an opportunity for me to develop more than just my penmanship?

Regards

April