leicas, rangefinders and such

leicaphotos

Hi colrehogan,

Nice gear that you have! Get cracking and get those lenses the 75mm and 135mm! Start shooting some more film! Like I said earlier it don`t seem to make any sense fountain pen users posting their digital gear and shooting a digital camera for it seems oxymoranic. They should be shooting film gear along with using a fountain pen. The worse offenders are those buying say a Leica M9 or M8-8.2 then using a non Leica lens baaah humbug!

At least it is my 8x10 view camera that shows up in my avatar! :cloud9:

Ahhhh...

As they used to say, your not using a REAL Camera until you get up to 8x10.

Hey! I`m using an 8x11 format ......... but the catch is it`s in millimeters and not in inches It`s from my Minox camera TLX on the right. :roflmho: :roflmho:

post-69929-0-44562900-1311050819.jpg

Edited by BKH

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Deirdre

• penrivers

• BKH

• mholve

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

as a student, i cannot afford to have a Leica, :embarrassed_smile: so i'm with my Pentax K1000... if you accept a non-rangefinder :rolleyes:

Verba volant, scripta manet...

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Hi Tuitu,

Pentax is a great brand and their optics is superb. I love that Pentax 43mm F1.9 Limited pancake lens.

Thanks!

btw you love the one of three sharpest Pentax lens: 43mm f1.9 Limited :rolleyes:

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Hi Tuitu,

Pentax is a great brand and their optics is superb. I love that Pentax 43mm F1.9 Limited pancake lens.

Thanks!

btw you love the one of three sharpest Pentax lens: 43mm f1.9 Limited :rolleyes:

Yes indeed Tuintu! Not only do I love them I also own all four of them Pentax Limited lenses! The Pentax 31mm F1.8 Limited lens, The 43mm F1.9 Limited lenses both as you can see in K mount and Leica L39 mount and they only made 2000 pieces of these Leica L39 mount to commemorate the year 2000 Millenium. Lastly the 77mm F1.8 Limited lens. I know ...yes, yes I know I said earlier it is best to stick with Leica camera body with Leica lenses however I know for a fact that this Pentax 43mm f1.9 Limited lens will give Most Leica lenses a good run for its money! So what I said earlier was sincere Tuintu. So don`t devalue your Pentax gear and Pentax optics is very good indeed.

post-69929-0-98247700-1311565113.jpg

post-69929-0-76119100-1311565136.jpg

post-69929-0-16172500-1311565167.jpg

Hi Tuitu,

Thanks!

AIR, the 43mm f1.9 is not particularly sharp, the engineers designed it to give certain other attributes. The sharp normal lens in the Pentax line has always been one of the 50mms, either the 1.4,1.7, or 1.8, varying from release to relase.

Real sharpness would be the 50mm macro, but then sharpness is a bourgeois concept, vastly over rated and seldom of significance to the true artist.

===========

I lost the URLs for some relevant lens resolution tests, but they are probably reachable by Google.

Edited by RLTodd

YMMV

Hi Tuitu,

Thanks!

AIR, the 43mm f1.9 is not particularly sharp, the engineers designed it to give certain other attributes. The sharp normal lens in the Pentax line has always been one of the 50mms, either the 1.4,1.7, or 1.8, varying from release to relase.

Real sharpness would be the 50mm macro, but then sharpness is a bourgeois concept, vastly over rated and seldom of significance to the true artist.

===========

I lost the URLs for some relevant lens resolution tests, but they are probably reachable by Google.

Hi RLTodd,

How are you?

Hmmmm? To say the Pentax 43mm F1.9 lens is not particularly sharp makes it sound like a dog lens to me. I think a better description would be it has the right balance of sharpness and 3D effect. Often times if the lens is too sharp it leaves for a 2D effect so it`s a balancing act therefore Pentax designed this lens so images lift off the photos and look alive. The Pentax 43mm F1.9 Limited lens is certainly a controversial lens because of the high price tag compared to their regular Pentax lenses. Therefore people who bought one tend to expect say a gallon of water to fit perfectly in a quart size container or in other words they expect an unreasonable one size fits all performances. I think this is a good analogy. In a way I can`t blame them since it is a high price tag lens for a standard lens in the Pentax range. I have used the 43mm F1.9 K mount version since 1999 and this lens is usually mounted on my Pentax camera body and I know this lens very well. My L39 43mm F1.9 performs equally as well as my K mount version but I don`t tend to use it as much because it`s a bit of a collectors item and for my Leica body cameras I tend to use Leica lenses more often. I have pretty well all the 50mm Pentax lenses from 50mm F1.2(yes a F1.2 and not F2.0) in K and A version along with various other versions of the Pentax F1.4, 1.7-1.8, F2.0 and the 50mm F2.8 macro lens and safe to say the sharpest lens aside from the 50 F2.8 macro is the 50mm F1.7 lens but this is like splitting hairs and in a real world usage very, very hard to see the differences in all these 50mm lenses. It`s safe to say this applies to other brands as well. Here`s a little secret I have had so called Leica experts who promote Leica gear praise my Pentax 43mm F1.9 Limited lens and they assumed that the photos I showed them were coming from a Leica lens so go figure? I never had the nerve to tell them it was from a lowly Pentax lens and left their assumption to rest. I`m just curious do you own or have you ever used a 43mm lens before RLTodd?

Here is some comments that were made on this Pentax 43mm F1.9 Limited lens from Boz`s Pentax site for the 43mm F1.9 Limited lens section.

"General Description

This is Pentax's first "Limited" lens. Despite its high price, the lens has sold extremely well, and is considered to be the reason that Pentax introduced further limited lenses. The lens combines exclusive design, excellent build, and a feel close to that of a manual focus lens. It is sold together with matching hood and lens cap, and a leather bag (which looks nice but does not offer much protection for the lens). The black version of the lens is available only in Japan and only since 2000.

Pentax claims that the Limited lenses are designed to offer the very best optical and mechanical quality possible at the widest possible maximum aperture combined with a small size. Production is to be limited not by the number of units built but by the high demands of production process and quality control.

The focal length of this lens is exactly equal to the diagonal of the 35 mm film format, and this makes it the "perfect" "normal" lens. Its small size and low weight make it ideal for light travel and reporting.

The focusing mechanism is noticeably tighter than that of other AF lenses. This leads to a smooth, well damped and precise manual-focus feel but also a slightly slower and louder auto-focus. Like all AF lenses, this one focuses somewhat beyond infinity, so care should be taken when focusing it manually."

"Subjective Evaluation

The FA 43/1.9 Limited provides decently high resolution at f/2.8 and is fantastic from f/4 to f/11. Amateur Photographer made this lens their reference normal lens, and magazines like Outdoor Photography and FotoMagazin agree that it is a very sharp and contrasty lens, practically free of flare, with some barrel distortion. What makes this lens so special is its focal length (most users prefer it over a 50 mm lens) and its bokeh — exceptionally smooth and pleasing at all apertures, rendering light sources at night especially beautiful, and making pictures seem very natural and "3-dimensional."

Bojidar Dimitrov`s site is a very reliable Pentax source and most people who use Pentax will often look up his site for authorative information. His quotes seems to differ from yours and after using my 43mm F1.9 lens for over a decade I must have a real dog Pentax 43mm F1.9 lenses because I find both my 43mm F1.9 lenses sharp even wide open but like you said earlier

"Real sharpness would be the 50mm macro, but then sharpness is a bourgeois concept, vastly over rated and seldom of significance to the true artist."

One thing I have really learnt is take everything said online with a grain of salt because it seems to be regurgitated info said by a few from the beginning and perhaps the testing was badly done or the tester just tested say for example a lens for half day then puts the info online and others who read it just chants the same info over and over for years online and it them becomes a true myth.

Anyways enough said for now. When I get a chance I`ll like to put up some photos by my 43mm lens.

Mr.Yoshihiko`s site on the 43mm lens further verifies what Boz`s subjective finding are and which is what I posted from above earlier.

Most lenses start to hit their sweet spots around 2-3 f-stops stopped down. The 43mm is no slouch stopped down 2 f-stops down and comparable if not higher resolution to the other standard lenses.

"Subjective Evaluation

The FA 43/1.9 Limited provides decently high resolution at f/2.8 and is fantastic from f/4 to f/11. Amateur Photographer made this lens their reference normal lens, and magazines like Outdoor Photography and FotoMagazin agree that it is a very sharp and contrasty lens, practically free of flare, with some barrel distortion. What makes this lens so special is its focal length (most users prefer it over a 50 mm lens) and its bokeh — exceptionally smooth and pleasing at all apertures, rendering light sources at night especially beautiful, and making pictures seem very natural and "3-dimensional."

To make a blanket statement that the 43mm lens is not particularly sharp is unfair. The numbers that you showed me for the 43mm lens from Mr.Yoshihiko`s site from F4 onwards is right up there with the rest of the other lenses. If I misread you I`d be glad to be stand corrected. Though the numbers on Mr.Yoshihiko`s 43mm lens might be slightly lower at the start than the other 50mm lenses it is comparable to the 50mm F1.8 lens and this would be a fairer comparison since both have near same starting apertures. The differences between the the 43mm F1.9 and 55mm F1.8 could be a batch to batch lens variations and this applies to the rest of the 50mm lenses too ie take a look at the 50mm F1.4 how in some apertures they give different numbers despite them having the exact same lens design. No two lenses are ever the same even for Mr.Yoshihiko`s 43mm lens and to my two 43mm lenses. Maybe mine are slightly higher or slightly lower in resolutions however in the real world usage as in hand held I see no differences. Not when the differences are say for example within 10 points hand held. The 43mm lens is in it`s class on it`s own and it is not really fair to compare it to the 50mm lenses because of the 7mm difference between the 43mm and 50mm. One may as well compare the 28mm lens over the 35mm lens using the same logic. It`s usually easier to make a sharper lens with less light fall out with a narrower angle lens.

I`m still curious have you ever used a 43mm lens before RLTodd?

Edited by BKH

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Tuitu,

Thanks!

Yes indeed Tuintu! Not only do I love them I also own all four of them Pentax Limited lenses! The Pentax 31mm F1.8 Limited lens, The 43mm F1.9 Limited lenses both as you can see in K mount and Leica L39 mount and they only made 2000 pieces of these Leica L39 mount to commemorate the year 2000 Millenium. Lastly the 77mm F1.8 Limited lens. I know ...yes, yes I know I said earlier it is best to stick with Leica camera body with Leica lenses however I know for a fact that this Pentax 43mm f1.9 Limited lens will give Most Leica lenses a good run for its money! So what I said earlier was sincere Tuintu. So don`t devalue your Pentax gear and Pentax optics is very good indeed.

Oh! BKH you have a Pentax *ist! that's the body which i've been looking for hither and thither!

i've already have a film SLR body (K1000) but i want so much the Pentax's ultimate film SLR body: *ist

it's a discontinued model so i can't find it anywhere even on eBay :unsure:

do you have a blog or a flickr account to see your samples taken with your *ist ??

Hi Tuintu,

Yes, I love my Pentax *ist! I love them so much that I got 3 Pentax *ist bodies and it is indeed an ultimate camera for one reason it`s the world smallest Auto focus 35mm slr camera. Nice and light and great handling and very comfortable to have around my neck especially when it`s with my Pentax 43mm F1.9 Limited lens. What a combo! If you can`t get a Pentax *ist I`d also recommend a Pentax MZS or Mz5n(MZ3) and I got those bodies too!! They all are great bodies and I recommend you these bodies to you from actually using them and having them. I would never give out second hand info due to what I read online and never actually using them. Don`t under estimate your Pentax K1000 for mechanical cameras are always worth having especially in cold climates and harsh conditions.

Hi Deirdre,

There are a lot of Pentax *ist D around which is Pentax first dslr camera (digital) however the Pentax *ist is a film camera which like what Tuintu said rather rare. Pentax introduced both the Pentax *ist (film camera) and Pentax *ist D (digital camera) the D stands for digital both at the same time and that was when digital was booming and film was dying and not many people bought the film camera version therefore these cameras have become rare. It was Pentax last film camera and was loaded with many sophisticated features at a great price too. So Pentax like many other camera companies stopped making the film cameras. Pentax carried on making digital cameras.

Tuintu,

I mainly take street photos and if you`re really interested in seeing my stuff what is your email? My photos are of everyday life and I try to avoid cliche street photos like down and outs, old people or travel to 3rd world places for street stuff like say India as an example. You ever notice how different the style of many photojournalist are when they photograph in 3rd world places compared to when they photograph in a western country or in their home town? I`m talking about street photography now using the same techniques and not subject differences. A true gauge of how consistent your photojournalism/street photography would be is when you travel abroad photographing and when you can do the same at home as well. I don`t necessarily always use my Leicas for street shooting thus I also use my Pentax cameras. Both types of cameras have their merits.

RLTodd,

Either you haven`t read my posting carefully or you don`t want to answer me despite the fact that I`ve asked you twice if you ever tried or owned a Pentax 43mm Limited lens? So it`s safe to assume that you were giving out second hand information to an actual user which is me. If that is the case it is kind of like putting the cart before the horse isn`t it and perverse? I still chuckle and laugh when some guy who didn`t know that I own a Leica Noctilux lens and he was giving me a line that this lens must always be shot wide open because it`s designed for wide open shooting. I said no it isn`t and he said I was a fool. I pulled out my Noctilux out of my bag and he kept quiet then on. LOL, it made owning a Leica Noctilux well worth it especially for that day!!

Edited by BKH

Hi Deirdre,

There are a lot of Pentax *ist D around which is Pentax first dslr camera (digital) however the Pentax *ist is a film camera which like what Tuintu said rather rare. Pentax introduced both the Pentax *ist (film camera) and Pentax *ist D (digital camera) the D stands for digital both at the same time and that was when digital was booming and film was dying and not many people bought the film camera version therefore these cameras have become rare. It was Pentax last film camera and was loaded with many sophisticated features at a great price too. So Pentax like many other camera companies stopped making the film cameras. Pentax carried on making digital cameras.

Ah, well, I linked to the wrong category, then. As of when I write this, KEH does have at least one film *ist.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Hi Deirdre,

Ah, well, I linked to the wrong category, then. As of when I write this, KEH does have at least one film *ist.

Thanks for the info Deirdre!

Tuintu get it better yet get both! Those are good prices!! Rare that they`re for sale anywhere too.

• 5 weeks later...

Yup, on RFF and LUF - three film Ms and two digitals...

Find myself unable to use any other camera - they just feel so natural...

Too many pens; too little writing.

• 3 weeks later...

Some dear junkies. no more then 30 dollars each. Mostly from Ritz camera this are four Konicas auto s2.All working, two tuned up for Mark Hama himself I hope he is still alive.fpn_1317335753__dsc00452_copy.jpg

Well. two poor man leicas, realy good ones: canonets:g3ql, and ql17. Right ql was tuned up by Mark Hama, smells and works like new.fpn_1317340698__dsc00460_copy.jpg

Edited by penrivers

Yashicas rangefinders electro 35, one with wide and tele lenses aditives. Left was tuned up by Mark Hama 4 years ago.fpn_1317341180__dsc00461_copy.jpg

Edited by penrivers