leicas, rangefinders and such

leicaphotos

Interesting thread.

Being a very early convert to digital, my rangefinder cameras have not been used for a very long time.

So my question is, what is the attraction of these old cameras? What is there about these cameras that induces people to pick them up and use them instead of reaching for the digital?

I have two rangefinders, a Leica M3 (inherited), in very good condition but never used and my old Minox 35 (not sure what initials, but at the time it was top of the line). The Leica has two or three lens.

In the loft is also an OM2 with a lens or two.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Deirdre

• penrivers

• BKH

• mholve

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would love to have a leica M3 or maybe a Leica MP, I believe that the limitations of manual focus and limited amount of exposures per filmroll makes you think about the photo's and compose in a better way than just shooting away at 9FPS. Also the grain of black&white film and the superb image quality definitely adds to the feeling of a photo

Like high capacity 9mm pistols, digital encourages one to shoot in large quantity, hoping there is a good frame in there somewhere.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

I shot in color. in film or digital, then work the image in photoshop including sharpening, then

translate it to gray scale, tune a little bit specialy contrast,details in all range from white , middle and dark tones, a little sharpening again and thats all, save or print.

Does anyone know of a comparison between Leica X1 and Fuji X100? Many thanks Kai

Best regards, Kai

Montblanc 13x, #20/25/30/40, 244/6 Green Marbled, 322 Azure Blue, 234 1/2 G/PL, 256, 220, 34.

Montblanc 144G Grey, 146G Green Striated, 146 Silver Barley, 149 (50s-00s).

Montblanc WE Christie, Imperial Dragon, Wilde, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Proust, Schiller, Verne, Mann, Twain. PoA Prince Regent, Morgan...

Visconti Pontevecchio LE, Metropolitan Gordian Knot, Ripples. Omas Paragon Royale Blue HT, Extra Lucens Black LE. Pilot Silvern. Pelikan 620 Shanghai, 800 Blue o Blue.

Thanks for the links, I'd been meaning to post some but I hadn't dug 'em out yet.

BB on Seriouscompacts.com is a former X1 owner who just got an X100, so I'm waiting for her review.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Yeah Im on RFF.

usually stalking the OM threads. Big OM fan. got a konica auto s2 too. And a rokkor 58mm f1.2 as well, been thinking about putting it up for trade for a nice pen though since I dont like the srt system nearly as much as the OM system.

if I could afford an M2 and a 35 cron Id do it. or a blad SWC. or a rollei 2.8. or mamiya 7...

my favorite films, in order, are Portra 160NC, Neopan 400, Astia 100

I am decidely NOT a fan of digital. I mean, unless it's an M9 or M8.2 (lololol like I could afford either right now). hard to believe Im 22 some times.

if I could afford an M2 and a 35 cron Id do it. or a blad SWC. or a rollei 2.8. or mamiya 7...

I have a 35 cron and never quite bonded with it, but I'm considering changing my mind about selling it. We'll see. I don't think I'd ever go for an M2, but I loved my Mamiya 6.

Probably my next camera will be a Konica Hexar RF.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

RFF's been down for me all day and I've been going CRAZY as a result.

deirdre.net

Not a rangefinder but can I still play?

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/190253_10150150249181357_723026356_8602944_6215664_n.jpg

Rolleicord IV

Yes, TLRs get to play along, too.

deirdre.net

I used to shoot my Leica M3 all the time, but since going digital nearly ten years ago neither my Leica nor my Nikon F100 have gotten much use. I'm looking forward to the second generation of micro 4/3 cameras. I'll jump in at that point. The X100 is a really attractive piece of kit.

Edited by Surf Monkey

Not a rangefinder but can I still play?

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/190253_10150150249181357_723026356_8602944_6215664_n.jpg

Rolleicord IV

Good call. I do actually shoot my Rolleiflex from time to time. I have three of them and they're the only analogues I reach for anymore, and then only rarely.

This is my film camera of choice, always loaded with Ilford Delta 100. When closed, it is so pocketable!

http://cloud.lomography.com/460/458/5a/b0662bc1c854a21809664be7f5d78f20fd5455.jpg

Fred

I've always thought these were really cool. Are they RF's or AF or what?

Jim

I must admit that I am late to the leica party. I don't own one, I've never used one, and I simply just don't get it. But apparently some people do, and they are willing to shell out a lot of cash for them. How much cash? How about $1.89 million. :yikes: http://tinyurl.com/3qbdhkk

I have an M4-P and M4-2, 35 & 50 Summicron. However, I don't use them much now as digital is a little more convenient. For that mainly an Olympus Pen EP-1 with the optical viewfinder. Pretty damn close to using a Leica. Actually, my Russian Lomo has been pretty good too.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

For that mainly an Olympus Pen EP-1 with the optical viewfinder. Pretty damn close to using a Leica.

That's good to hear. I was going to try and buy an M8 but it's just too much to spend right now so I compromised on an EP-L1. It should be here mid week. I can't wait to try it out.

Jim

Leicas are so SOOO elitist, says the guy who could never afford one. haha. I have a ridiculously huge camera collection. It's my profession, so that's how I justify filling my shelves with antiques. A recent acquisition is my Zorki 1. It's a Russian copy of the a Leica. Here's some pics:

post-50785-0-26940400-1306943719.jpg

post-50785-0-59851400-1306943729.jpg

post-50785-0-11073600-1306943740.jpg

post-50785-0-28980600-1306943751.jpg

post-50785-0-11972500-1306943759.jpg

Edited by ckpj99