The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Conway Stewart German Production

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Malcy

Malcy

True Blue

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2011 - 21:33

A student showed me an fp that he had been given by his grandfather. It looked like a school pen in pale blue with a semi enclosed nib and took an international cartridge. It was in a similar style to a Lamy 99. When I look a look at the clip, I saw that it read Conway Stewart and underneath the CS name in smaller letters it said Germany.

Does anyone have any information about these pens?
My pen photo galleries - Reorganised

Sponsored Content

#2 Strang

Strang

Down

• Remembered Fondly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2011 - 22:05

I know that, near the end of their first manifestation, they were making cartridge pens just as you describe. I was not aware that these were manufactured in Germany but that absolutely could be the case.
Yes, yes I do owe you a letter.

#3 saintsimon

saintsimon

Si tacuisses ...

• Member - Gold

• 2,507 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2011 - 00:26

It was said about the "Le Tigre" branded CS piston fillers for the Belgian market that they were made in Germany.

Posted Image

#4 Carrie

Carrie

FPN Chief Intelligence Officer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,198 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:46

The later 570 Dinkies have 'Foreign' stamped on their barrels. Don't know where they were actually produced though.

#5 Malcy

Malcy

True Blue

• Member - Gold

• 1,169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:23

Interesting. Thanks for the replies.

I haven't been able to find any solid information on the topic googling around but I guess that they farmed out production in the last days of the old company. I found an article that said that some pens had even been ordered from a Japanese manufacturer but were never delivered. They were later discovered in store rooms at the Japanese manufacturer when the new CS company contacted them on a totally unrelated matter.

#6 Malcy

Malcy

True Blue

• Member - Gold

• 1,169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2011 - 20:17

Purely by coincidence I came across this pen on ebay.de which appears to be the CS double:

Heiko fountain pen

#7 Hugh200au

Hugh200au

Hugh

• Away
  • 1,436 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:51

These pens would have been made for CS(rather than by CS) by a German manufacturer, simply CS using there name to advantage. Your "double" dates the pen nicely !!

Regards
Hugh

#8 Pepin

Pepin

Institutionalized

• Member - Gold

• 1,602 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:51

It was said about the "Le Tigre" branded CS piston fillers for the Belgian market that they were made in Germany.

Posted Image

When were these outsourced CS pens made?
A man's real possession is his memory. In nothing else is he rich, in nothing else is he poor.

#9 saintsimon

saintsimon

Si tacuisses ...

• Member - Gold

• 2,507 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:19

Posted Image

When were these outsourced CS pens made?

Best assumptions I found say 1960s, which is very likely, considering their style and cheap, scratch prone plastic. The bordeaux is a Le Tigre 732M (branding on body), the gray a Le Tigre 91 (branding on cap). Both have excellent ,very fine, plated steel F nibs. The piston knobs are under their blind caps.

Edited by saintsimon, 06 March 2011 - 06:20.

#10 saintsimon

saintsimon

Si tacuisses ...

• Member - Gold

• 2,507 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:23

Purely by coincidence I came across this pen on ebay.de which appears to be the CS double:

Heiko fountain pen

Heiko was a East German manufacturer.

#11 Malcy

Malcy

True Blue

• Member - Gold

• 1,169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:15

Yes, I noticed that which may preclude Heiko as the manufacturer. Was there east/west trade? I have a Russian camera bought at the same time. I don't know if the CS I saw was by Heiko but it was very similar.

#12 UltraMagnus

UltraMagnus

Hic sunt dracones

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:29

The later 570 Dinkies have 'Foreign' stamped on their barrels. Don't know where they were actually produced though.

Generally that means it was made in Germany, after WWII German made goods were understandably not very popular in Allied countries, so they were stamped "Foreign", to not reveal their place of manufacture.
politician and idiot are synonymous terms - Mark Twain

#13 saintsimon

saintsimon

Si tacuisses ...

• Member - Gold

• 2,507 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:30

.... Was there east/west trade? ...

Of course! The countries of the Eastern Block were desperate for hard currency and manufactured everything they could with high priority for the Western market.

Sponsored Content

|