Dearest Friends and Visitors of the Fountain Pen Network,
We have started implementing the changes we promised here: Upcoming Changes To FPN
Please do read the linked message above.

Photo

Noodler's Heart Of Darkness

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Halden

Halden

former-Letter Writer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2011 - 00:44

Posted Image
Noodler's Heart of Darkness by haldenjohnson, on Flickr

As always full thoughts on Writing and Scribbling.
In Ottawa? Check out The Ottawa Pen Posse

#2 Theodorable

Theodorable

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2011 - 23:57

Just ordered some samples of this... thanks for the review.
Currently carrying: Lamy Safari (Charcoal M) with Sheaffer Turquoise, Moleskine Pocket Notebook.
Current Collection:
Inks: Noodler's La Couleur Royale, Noodler's Baystate Blue, Sheaffer Turquoise 30+ samples
Pens: Lamy Safari (Yellow,Charcoal EF, M), 3x Preppy, 6 Ebay pens.
Coming Soon: Some Green ink, Pilot VP

#3 accntphd

accntphd

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:32

My next black would be this.
Thanks for sharing.

#4 Brian C

Brian C

I'm Batman

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,290 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:33

This is "THE ONLY BLACK".

#5 J_Rock

J_Rock

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:57

I have been using this ink for the past 2 months and I have no complaints.

#6 mremptypants

mremptypants

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 21:50

I am a big Noodler's fan. Been searching for the "Perfect Black". Sounds like this may be it. How does it compare to Nile Ebony?

#7 Namo

Namo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:07

I am a big Noodler's fan. Been searching for the "Perfect Black". Sounds like this may be it. How does it compare to Nile Ebony?

If yo are looking fot a black black, do try Borealis black. Blacker black than HOD IMO.

amonjak.com

cropped-amonjak-partie-4-de-4_page_4-modifiee1.jpg  

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

#8 tonybelding

tonybelding

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:03

I have HoD and I like it, but. . . Here lately I've been coming to appreciate Private Reserve Invincible Black. It has decent drying time, excellent lubrication, and very very dark matte black sheen (or more accurately, absence-of-sheen).

#9 Amity45

Amity45

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:18

I'm planning to buy Heart of Darkness. From the reviews I have read it seems to have significantly better dry time than BPB, but runs slightly more under water.

I'll be using it mainly as an additive, likely in inks that I will be using to take notes at school. (Meaning, no time to let it dry and focus is on the lecture not running my hand into my ink.)

If it wasn't for my need for a decent drying time, I would probably go with BPB. I plan to mix this with PR Fast-Dry Midnight Blue. And possibly with Green Marine.

I'm curious if people that have used both of these inks agree with my assessment.

#10 vectorbundle

vectorbundle

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 18:16

I'm a left-handed over-writer so dry time is extremely important to me. Heart of Darkness is great in this respect, even though I use only Clairefontaine and Rhodia paper. It's also as black as any ink I've used.

#11 leftside

leftside

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 21:47

I'm a left-handed over-writer so dry time is extremely important to me. Heart of Darkness is great in this respect, even though I use only Clairefontaine and Rhodia paper. It's also as black as any ink I've used.

I'm a lefty as well, and I usually use recycled paper notebooks, even with my fountain pens.  I've found Heart of Darkness to be the best black I've used w/r/t dry time and smearing (or, rather, lack thereof).  I had Aurora black in a few pens for a while, but Heart of Darkness performs a little better in my wetter pens and I don't have smudges all over my left palm anymore.

#12 calhoun tubbs

calhoun tubbs

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 May 2013 - 00:11

Thank you for the review.  Now I know what my next black ink will be.

so far i done wrote over 12,000 new songs and aint none of em longer than 13 seconds though...

#13 bailey philip

bailey philip

XC Coach

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:34

My favorite and only black for the past few years.

Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

#14 Unky

Unky

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2013 - 23:45

I agree that HoD is a great black ink. I have Private Reserve's velvet black and it doesn't compare to HoD.
The education of a man is never complete until he dies. Gen. Robert E. Lee

#15 Waski_the_Squirrel

Waski_the_Squirrel

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:35

This became my "other" go-to ink. I love Noodler's Black. However, I also love my Pilot Custom 823. I discovered that the Pilot had trouble with the black. When I wrote, the bubbles would not float up through the ink and the pen would stop writing. I even tried diluting the ink with no joy.

On someone's suggestion, I purchased Heart of Darkness. It is almost as black and the real black and hast most of the other properties I like. It allows the bubbles to float up from the feed as I write, and the pen doesn't stop. As a bonus, it's faster drying than the regular black. I may have to switch favorite blacks! 

This is a great ink.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

#16 Orgidie

Orgidie

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2013 - 15:46

Has anyone experienced problems with it? You hear all sorts of rumors about Noodler's clogging pens or eating feeds. I left HoD too long (probably 2-3 months) in my m200 and the gold plating came off where there was nib creep. I love this ink to the point of having two large bottles, but I'm wondering if I should limit its use to my cheap and replacable pens (my m200 isn't cheap in my collection).

I'm not trying to turn this into a Noodler's bashing at all. I've used this ink for over a year and loved it. I just hadn't heard of anything bad happening with HoD and wanted to see if others had a similar experience or if I just experienced a quirk. The surface of the nib is still smooth, it's just a bit silver around the tines.

Edited by Orgidie, 15 July 2013 - 15:58.

#17 fourseamer

fourseamer

Up and In

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2013 - 16:10

I left HoD too long (probably 2-3 months) in my m200 and the gold plating came off where there was nib creep. I love this ink to the point of having two large bottles, but I'm wondering if I should limit its use to my cheap and replacable pens (my m200 isn't cheap in my collection).

I've not heard of this problem where the ink ate through a nib's gold plating. That sounds like a problem with the nib's plating instead.

That said, I've found Noodler's inks to be less tolerant of neglect (i.e. sitting unused in a pen for weeks/months) compared to other brands', but many inks (most? all?) will evaporate over time, become more concentrated, and start to exhibit reduced flow, dryness, and poor general behavior. Just depends on the specific ink, conditions where your pens are stored and used, and how good of a seal the pen it's used in provides.

You might ask around in the Pelikan forum if others have had issues with the plating on their M200's nibs.

Edited by fourseamer, 15 July 2013 - 16:10.

#18 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2013 - 23:33

I find that HOD seems to be a slightly wetter and more saturated version of Noodler's Black. 

I use it in those pens that are too dry for standard Noodler's Black.

As well, because it is more saturated, not all the HOD may sink into the paper to bond with it. That is why, when you write with a wet pen, more ink is laid down than can bond to the paper, and that is what will wash off. If you get this problem, then your pen is too wet for HOD.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

#19 djp

djp

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 00:16

How is Heart of Darkness's drying time compared to Bulletproof Black?

Life's too short for bad paper.

#20 EKE

EKE

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:31

You should definitely try Noodler's Bernanke Black.  The fastest drying ink I've ever used.  Nice, highly saturated black.  Great for Clairefontaine and Rhodia.

Learning from the past does not mean living in the past.

#21 mashardy

mashardy

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2013 - 00:46

Love the ink, hate the nib creep! :o

#22 theolu

theolu

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 14:38

How is Heart of Darkness's drying time compared to Bulletproof Black?

For me Heart of Darkness definitely dried quicker that the Bulletproof Black.  

I generally prefer the HoD - it's darker and flows better.  Bulletproof is probably better behaved but no so much so that it overcomes HoD's advantages.

#23 vectorbundle

vectorbundle

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 17:24

You should definitely try Noodler's Bernanke Black.  The fastest drying ink I've ever used.  Nice, highly saturated black.  Great for Clairefontaine and Rhodia.

I have used Bernanke Black and it does dry very quickly and it is very black.  I also found that with my F and EF nibs and Clairfontaine or Rhodia paper, the line of my writing widened slightly. This doesn't happen with Heart of Darkness. So HOD is my main ink 24-7. Of course all these ink/paper issues also depend on the particular pen you are using.