Cross Quality Today?

def

Oh, but quality is determined by where a product is made; materials aside, it's the quality control process that determines how well products are made and what leaves the factory. Quality control standards are a lot more rigid in Germany and Switzerland, for example, than elsewhere.

Quality depends to a great extent upon how much you're willing to pay. If you want high-quality goods from China, you can get them, and you will pay more for them than you will for low-quality goods.

I've seen absolute (bleep) that was made in Germany and Switzerland, so there's nothing magic about country of origin.

If Cross is willing to pay for quality, and holds their suppliers to high standards, they'll get a quality product.

but i thought they are making Cross in China??!! ;)

i've tried to contact Cross a couple of times about my Matrix BP for repair and they don't even reply to my emails. i got the pen from Staples (supplier) and they told me to contact Cross directly... so now i'm looking at cheap manufacturing, bad quality control and bad customer service. :headsmack:

i do feel the old BP's were better made. as far as FP's, i like my century II and townsend (newer chinese ones, i guess), but since i have no older ones to compare to...................

Edited by lovemy51

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• def

• jsroe

• ershen

• stuartk

Top Posters In This Topic

i've tried to contact Cross a couple of times about my Matrix BP for repair and they don't even reply to my emails. i got the pen from Staples (supplier) and they told me to contact Cross directly... so now i'm looking at cheap manufacturing, bad quality control and bad customer service. :headsmack:

My experience has been different than yours. I'm sorry that's happened to you, but I think they'll make it right. Maybe you just fell through the cracks somehow? I'd suggest trying to contact them again. Or you could just send your pen to them for repair.

http://www.cross.com/productrepair/productrepairhome.aspx?cat_name=Repairs

My experience has been different than yours. I'm sorry that's happened to you, but I think they'll make it right. Maybe you just fell through the cracks somehow? I'd suggest trying to contact them again. Or you could just send your pen to them for repair.

Hmmm.... it looks like they've instituted a handling fee. Funny how I didn't see that mentioned on the other parts of their web site where they're trying to sell you their products.

Yes... a handling fee.. Its so sad though..I got used to my Edge pen for 2 months and now have been without it for over 1 month.

My experience with Cross customer service has been superb. Last year I bought a Titian Red Cross Apogee at a store close out sale. When I got home I noticed it had a big scratch down the side, and I could not return it. I sent it to Cross with my explanation. They sent me a brand new pen back, no questions asked.

i must have done it the wrong way just sending 2 emails. i didn't know about the form. thx for the heads up.

$10 processing fee, huh?... :hmm1:

I really love my Cross Townsend Medalist. Originally came with 23k Broad nib, but I got a 23K Fine nib.

Had tried to purchase this nib through another store, but went to Cross when the other stores couldn't obtain it. After not hearing for over a week that the nib was on its way in the mail, I called Cross and got immediate service. The nib was on backorder but being shipped to me the next day. The person I spoke to in Rhode Island could not have been nicer.

I was hoping the fine nib would not be too fine; it was perfect! Beautifully made.

empyrean Conklin,Stipula Pyrite, Bon Voyage & Tuscany Dreams Siena, Levengers, Sailor 1911,Pelikan M200, Bexley BX802, AoLiWen Music Notes pen, Jinhao's,1935 Parker Deluxe Challenger, 1930s Eversharp Gold Seal RingTop, 1940s Sheaffer Tuckaway, 1944 Sheaffer Triumph, Visconti Van Gogh midi, Esties!(SJ, T, and J),Cross Townsend Medalist & Aventura, 1930s Mentmore Autoflow, A bunch of Conway-Stewarts 84, Platinum 3776 Chartres Blue(med); Montegrappa Elmo (broad nib), Delta "The Journal" (med nib), Conklin Yellowstone (med nib)

• 3 months later...

I purchased a Cross Townsend Medalist FP back in late May and the sleeve joining the front section of the pen to the barrel snaped off about 2 weeks ago when I uncapped the pen. The metal appears to be really thin and of cheap material.

I called Cross for warranty repair (being I had the pen for only roughly 6 weeks). They told me I had to fill out an online repair form, ship at my expense, and pay a $10 processing to send the pen in for "warranty" repair. I made the case that I had the pen for only 6 weeks and took good care of the pen and asked them to waive the $10 processing fee but they basically told me to go pound sand. I understand that the warranty process is documented as such on their website but felt this was clearly a mechanical defect and only having the pen a short time to give some consideration. I guess they saw it differently or just didn't care.

I loved the Cross Townsend Medalist when it was working so I filled out the online repair form, reluctantly paid the $10 processing fee, and mailed it in at my own expense to get the pen repaired -- which I have not received back as yet, granted its only been about a week and a half since Cross received my pen.

This will probably be my only and the last Cross pen I will ever buy. I feel Cross doesn't really care to listen to their customers or care to resolve issues to customers' satisfaction in order to retain customer loyalty -- Cross just wanted my money before they would begin the repair process. I might be a little harsh here but when I pay $125 for a pen I expect it to work properly and be free of mechanical defect, and would be nice for Cross to stand behind their brand and product, especially only having it a very short while. Just my 2 cents and still patiently awaiting my Cross Townsend Medalist to be repaired and returned back to me. I will post a followup of my experience with Cross warranty service after I receive my Townsend back from Cross whenever that is.

Edited by ershen

Insanabile Scribendi Cacoethes

Hmmm.... it looks like they've instituted a handling fee. Funny how I didn't see that mentioned on the other parts of their web site where they're trying to sell you their products.

Yeah Cross should state they will service their writing instruments for a fee instead of warrantying them. I don't mind shipping and insuring at my expense under "warranty" but a $10 service fee under so-called warranty? I don't get that either. :blink: :headsmack:

Edited by ershen

I purchased a Cross Apogee in the chrome guilloche finish in June that's made in China. I have no made in USA pens to compare it to but I love the pen and I see no evidence that made in China Cross products don't live up to the Cross quality standards that made them a maker of fine writing instruments in the first place. I personally have no qualms with the fact that Cross is now making in China (although it would be nice to see them making in the USA again). I've enjoyed my new Cross Apogee so much that I will probably be looking into to getting a Townsend sometime in the future.

I should add that Cross owns and operates their manufacturing facility in China so they are still making pens and not farming out production to another company so I would imagine they have a handle on QC.

Edited by Florida Blue

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

Looks like A.T. Cross refunded my $10 processing fee this morning. Not sure what that means yet until I get my pen Townsend back from Cross. But this is a step in the right direction and it doesn't matter whether it is made in the USA, China, or weherever -- what matters is a company is willing to stand behind their product and that goes a long way with me. Maybe the folks at Cross had a change of heart? :hmm1:

Edited by ershen

I don't see a big deal about the $10 handling fee. Other companies like Visconti and Pelikan charge at least $35 for even a simple service like a nib exchange. And for warranty mechanical repair, they charge customers a ridiculous sum of money. One lady had a piece of the clip fell of on her brand new Waterman and she was charged $45 to have it glued back on, I heard the same goes for Aurora, and that does not include the out-of-pocket expense of shipping the pen to Italy. Sounds like I will be buying Cross pens very soon.

Edited by kauloltran

I'm surprised at this, I've had nothing but first class service from Cross UK. They never charged me a penny or asked for receipts or warranties, and this was on multiple occasions too. They put Waterman service to absolute shame and that was with a $600 Edson!

Got my Townsend back from Cross today. Pen looks new again and I am glad to have it back in my pen rotation. Cross did refund me the $10 processing fee. Looks like they did come through in the end. I will chalk this up as good warranty service with them. :thumbup:

Edited by ershen

They put Waterman service to absolute shame and that was with a $600 Edson!

Can you please share the story of your service experience with Waterman? I also have an Edson ballpoint that's not seeing much use. I can't imagine how much it would cost to have an Edson repaired!

Edited by kauloltran

Can you please share the story of your service experience with Waterman? I also have an Edson ballpoint that's not seeing much use. I can't imagine how much it would cost to have an Edson repaired!

They didn't reply to my original email for several weeks. I got annoyed then and sent another rather curt email saying that I didn't expect to treated like this taking into account that I had spent $600 on one of their pens. I received an apologetic reply around two days later and from then on things went smoothly. In my view a $600 pen is a luxury item and as such after sales service should be luxurious too.

• 2 weeks later...

They didn't reply to my original email for several weeks. I got annoyed then and sent another rather curt email saying that I didn't expect to treated like this taking into account that I had spent $600 on one of their pens. I received an apologetic reply around two days later and from then on things went smoothly. In my view a $600 pen is a luxury item and as such after sales service should be luxurious too.

You should never email them since they rarely ever check their email. I once sent an email to their service centers in 3 different countries: only the US center sent a response, though it took them 3 months. I believe that you can search for their phone number, for your country specifically, and call them. They will always answer the phone!

I would be very interested in knowing if anybody would recommend a CROSS TOWNSEND or similar Cross model fountain pen with a fine point nib. I'm looking for this particular style/body/weight or maybe the CENTURY is nice also. I really would like to know if they write well with a fine point nib. I really don't want to purchase another fountain pen that writes scratchy. I don't own a CROSS, but it seems like the type of pen that I would really be willing to try out. Please explain your thoughts on these CROSS models. Thanks,

Crusader 007.

Crusader -- I haven't tried the Townsend/Century but I just recently bought one of their new Aventura models and I like it quite a bit. It's not as smooth as some of my other pens like my Sheaffer 300 (highly recommended, btw), but it has a nice feel to it and I think it looks pretty good as well. I paid $40 for it at Staples, but they occasionally have sales/coupons.

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

Now granted my info here is a couple years old but it's still relevant to me.

When I sent an uninked Signature in for a nib swap, they didn't refund the $10 service fee, they totally WAIVED it. (Now, I did go down to the bottom of the queue since it wasn't a repair per se but the full wait was only about 6 weeks.)

When they ran out of Century Classic I's and people were still sending them in with the terminal rotating nib problem, Cross replaced the pens with brand new Century Classic II's, Even The 14kt models. (Which was listed at over $300 retail) This was for other than original owners with absolutely NO paperwork. Not another major pen company in the world would do that that I'm aware of. (All their responses are usually, "Sorry, we no longer have any parts for those pens, CLICK."

So far as their communication goes, I have one Customer Service lady there who always answers my questions in a timely manner and did for over a two year period off and on.

I also have the secret bat phone number directly to the repair department. The techs there are assigned specific models that they repair. I can call there and ask to speak directly to the one person who will handle my pen when it arrives in their shop.

Again, find me one more major pen company where you can do that...

I'm waiting... :hmm1:

Bruce in Ocala, FL