Cross Quality Today?

def

Does anyone have any comment on how the new Chinese-made Cross ballpoints compare to older product?

I just purchased a Century Sport and find it to be a high-quality pen (more so than some of the other Chinese-made Century Classics I tried): solid feel, sturdy barrel, smooth twist mechanism, and nicely weighted. If I didn't know better, I would assume it was made in the US or anywhere else other than China. Opinions?

Edited by def

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• def

• jsroe

• ershen

• stuartk

Top Posters In This Topic

...yes, I realize there is previous discussion on this topic; however, those those threads are somewhat dated. I'm asking specifically about Cross' quality today, now that there is more of a critical mass of Chinese-made pens in use than previously, and perhaps a wider variety of (new) opinion.

Fair question, I think.

My new Cross Edge has been holding up very well since Christmas. I will say the chrome middle section has scratch

marks in from open and closing the pen (but that's how it opens/closes). That is a very minor thing. The body

which is plastic seems to be holding up extremely well.. Its like everything on the Cross Ion was looked at

and fixed.

I'm really picky about different things on pens..ie clicking, loose fits etc so I'm going to give the Edge a

thumbs up in quality as of now. Really interesting to the hear the Century sport is this way..the clip looks

fragile in the pictures.

The Cross quality appear to be back. In 2007/2008 I bought a couple of Classic Century ball points and I was dissapointed. The cap was loose, conical top fell off on one of them after a few days. It was a while since I bought a new Cross pen and I was surprised to find a made in China sticker on the box later. I didn't realize they out sourced their production to China. They did not seem like the quality 14Kt Classic Century USA pens I've been using for the previous 20 years or so. But the quality seems to have much improved lately. The batch of new Cross pens I bought in the last 2 years include gold and silver Century signets, 18Kt gold and sterling silver Townsends, couple of Apogees, Century IIs, all made in China and they are all solid and well made. Perhaps Cross found a better supplier. I see in the financials AT Cross outlook is looking positive these days.

Really interesting to the hear the Century sport is this way..the clip looks fragile in the pictures.

Surprisingly very solid.

The batch of new Cross pens I bought in the last 2 years include gold and silver Century signets, 18Kt gold and sterling silver Townsends, couple of Apogees, Century IIs, all made in China and they are all solid and well made. Perhaps Cross found a better supplier.

Seems to be the case; my only beef is the relative price of Cross pens compared to other brands (i.e. Waterman and Lamy can be had for only slightly more than Cross Century, for example).

That said, I purchased a new Waterman ballpoint (Hemisphere) which writes well but doesn't compare mechanically to my Chinese-made Cross Century.

Go figure.

Edited by def

Really interesting to the hear the Century sport is this way..the clip looks fragile in the pictures.

Surprisingly very solid.

The batch of new Cross pens I bought in the last 2 years include gold and silver Century signets, 18Kt gold and sterling silver Townsends, couple of Apogees, Century IIs, all made in China and they are all solid and well made. Perhaps Cross found a better supplier.

Seems to be the case; my only beef is the relative price of Cross pens compared to other brands (i.e. Waterman and Lamy can be had for only slightly more than Cross Century, for example).

That said, I purchased a new Waterman ballpoint (Hemisphere) which writes well but doesn't compare mechanically to my Chinese-made Cross Century.

Go figure.

After I bought my sterling silver Cross Townsend ballpoint, I tried out the Montblanc sterling silver Meisterstuck Solitaire ballpoint at a store just for comparison, and the Cross felt more solid better quality than the $600 Montblanc. The ball point tip in the Montblanc would wiggle loosely however I tightened it in the pen, whereas the Cross tip is rock solid in the pen no matter how much pressure you put on it. The Montblanc uses a spring to give the twist propel/repel mechanism a springy feel which will break over time as springs do. The Cross mechanism gives a resistence feel similar to a control nob on a high end stereo system, and will last nearly forever. Cross makes good pens. Hope one day they can bring the manufacture back in-house again.

Edited by jsroe

I doubt very much that they will make pens in Rhode Island like they used to. AT Cross was a customer of mine for many years. I remember seeing dozens of lathes and other assorted machinery being used by dozens of employees. About 5 years ago, I went in again and it was like a ghost town. First, they sold their building. They are still located there, but leasing it from the new owner. Second, all the machines were unused at that time. Just about all pens were being manufactured in China and the Rhode Island facility became a distribution center. I asked if anything was being made in RI, and was told just the most expensive pens. It's sad that I can remember the bustling activity of that plant during the boom times of the late 70's and 80's.

Cross felt more solid better quality than the $600 Montblanc. The ball point tip in the Montblanc would wiggle loosely however I tightened it in the pen, whereas the Cross tip is rock solid in the pen no matter how much pressure you put on it. The Montblanc uses a spring to give the twist propel/repel mechanism a springy feel which will break over time as springs do. The Cross mechanism gives a resistence feel

My experience exactly; I tried pens by Graf von Faber, Lamy, etc - and all of the ball point tips wiggle against the inside of the barrel to some extent. A dealer told me that Cross ball points are the only ones that don't have this problem: no other pen has the refill threaded into the bottom-half of the barrel as does Cross, most all others are held in place by the spring at the tip.

The quality is not determined by who made it and where it is made BUT by what materials and techniques have been applied.

If CROSS company supplied the worst materials, even if it is made in USA, it is still a poor quality pen.

IPADs are also made in china but it seems nobody's questioned lots of its quality.

I have used some cross century classic ball pen and pencil in the U.K. I guess they are all made in china but the quality are good. Compared with parker, waterman's products which are made in France, cross quality is much better.

Edited by cartieruk

I have no issues with Chinese produced Cross pens. Appears they have kept their Quality Control. I have two Townsend FP's made in China and they are great. I also have a couple Calais BP and Contour BC and they are pretty good quality.

My thoughts.

Rowdy

From my experience with the classic century chrome, the USA made ones had a more solid feel and seemed heavier than the Chinese ones. But nonetheless Cross quality is still amazing even though they're made in China now and they still have their lifetime warranty, which is rare.

Thanks

Brad

The quality is not determined by who made it and where it is made

Oh, but quality is determined by where a product is made; materials aside, it's the quality control process that determines how well products are made and what leaves the factory. Quality control standards are a lot more rigid in Germany and Switzerland, for example, than elsewhere.

IPADs are also made in china but it seems nobody's questioned lots of its quality.

Location of manufacture is much less of an issue where electronics are concerned; pens, however, have moving parts. That is the difference with respect to quality of manufacture and where a particular product is made.

Edited by def

Hi,

The Cross Century II FP I bought last year seems to me just as fine an instrument as my old Century FP that I bought thirty years ago. All fittings are tight which is more than I can say for some of my Parkers.

Brad

Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain

My new Cross Edge has been holding up very well since Christmas. I will say the chrome middle section has scratch

marks in from open and closing the pen (but that's how it opens/closes). That is a very minor thing. The body

which is plastic seems to be holding up extremely well.. Its like everything on the Cross Ion was looked at

and fixed.

I'm really picky about different things on pens..ie clicking, loose fits etc so I'm going to give the Edge a

thumbs up in quality as of now. Really interesting to the hear the Century sport is this way..the clip looks

fragile in the pictures.

I wish to revoke my good review of the pen ... the chrome plating is coming off the top of the pen. If one

rubs the top cap little flakes of silver come off on one's finger. Good thing I don't chew on it.

I got the pen on Dec 25 ...it's little over 2 months old. :(

and fixed.

fragile in the pictures.

I wish to revoke my good review of the pen ... the chrome plating is coming off the top of the pen. If one

rubs the top cap little flakes of silver come off on one's finger. Good thing I don't chew on it.

I got the pen on Dec 25 ...it's little over 2 months old. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, but quality is determined by where a product is made; materials aside, it's the quality control process that determines how well products are made and what leaves the factory. Quality control standards are a lot more rigid in Germany and Switzerland, for example, than elsewhere.

Quality depends to a great extent upon how much you're willing to pay. If you want high-quality goods from China, you can get them, and you will pay more for them than you will for low-quality goods.

I've seen absolute (bleep) that was made in Germany and Switzerland, so there's nothing magic about country of origin.

If Cross is willing to pay for quality, and holds their suppliers to high standards, they'll get a quality product.

Cross felt more solid better quality than the $600 Montblanc. The ball point tip in the Montblanc would wiggle loosely however I tightened it in the pen, whereas the Cross tip is rock solid in the pen no matter how much pressure you put on it. The Montblanc uses a spring to give the twist propel/repel mechanism a springy feel which will break over time as springs do. The Cross mechanism gives a resistence feel

My experience exactly; I tried pens by Graf von Faber, Lamy, etc - and all of the ball point tips wiggle against the inside of the barrel to some extent. A dealer told me that Cross ball points are the only ones that don't have this problem: no other pen has the refill threaded into the bottom-half of the barrel as does Cross, most all others are held in place by the spring at the tip.

I don't know what Montblanc you are using for comparison, but my two 164s have no wiggle room for the ballpoint. They are rock solid. There's no springy feel.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I don't know what Montblanc you are using for comparison, but my two 164s have no wiggle room for the ballpoint. They are rock solid. There's no springy feel.

Montblanc sterling silver Meisterstuck Solitaire ballpoint $600. Felt cheap compared to my $180 Sterling silver Townsend.