Pilot Custom Heritage 92 Piston Filler

hari317

I received this pen in the mail today, brand new from Taizo. I decided to take it apart just to see how it has been put together and also to see if I could get a better ink capacity by playing with the piston stroke.

The piston filler combines the best elements of design from those found on MB and on the Pelikan piston fillers. I think it is a winner, very solid. The filler is practically identical to the Pelikan system, but has plastic on the non critical areas to save weight. Uses RH filler threads like MB unlike Pelikan. One can use the same 7mm flat spanner that you use for the Pelikan and TWSBI, but has the useful and practical end stop washer like on MB(will prevent overtightening of filler in the barrel). However the piston seal has just one sealing lip as in MB(Pelikan uses 2 lips).

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/Pilot%20CH%2092/IMG_5481.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/Pilot%20CH%2092/IMG_5482.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/Pilot%20CH%2092/IMG_5483.jpg

I found that Pilot had adjusted the piston stroke well and I could not achieve a better capacity than stock. The stock grease used is very very clear and is very thin.

The filler is easy to take apart and maintenence friendly. I think the stock grease should last quite well so you may really not need to take it apart anytime soon.

The pen writes like a regular Pilot Custom 74/91, no difference.

I hope this was useful.

Cheers!

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• nicholasyeo

• watch_art

• cursivator

I was about to consider one of these pens. What nib did you get? How was performance?

I had been planning to get the M800 demonstrator but who knows, I might just change my

mind and get this instead. Or maybe the 823?

I got the F nib, it is good. the writing experince is same as the nibs found on the custom 74 and the heritage 91. However pilots famed SF/SFM/SM nibs are not available with the 92. I had to adjust the nib slit width for writing as I want them to.

I think the M800 is a different league due to the nib size and the overall feel of the pen. This pen is a high quality transparent beater. the pen posts well, I think Pilot have done an excellent job, no drawbacks or errors at all.

the custom 823 is double the price of this pen and rightly so since that sports a size 15 nib and a fancy filing system. Ink capacity wise both the pens are nearlysame at 1.5 and 1.8ml respectively not too great in my opinion since I use pens with 5ml ink capacities.

this pen was a chance buy, I had set up a low snipe and I happened to win it. was curious about it's mechanism and Now I am satisfied.

Best,

hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I got the F nib, it is good. the writing experince is same as the nibs found on the custom 74 and the heritage 91. However pilots famed SF/SFM/SM nibs are not available with the 92. I had to adjust the nib slit width for writing as I want them to.

I think the M800 is a different league due to the nib size and the overall feel of the pen. This pen is a high quality transparent beater. the pen posts well, I think Pilot have done an excellent job, no drawbacks or errors at all.

the custom 823 is double the price of this pen and rightly so since that sports a size 15 nib and a fancy filing system. Ink capacity wise both the pens are nearlysame at 1.5 and 1.8ml respectively not too great in my opinion since I use pens with 5ml ink capacities.

this pen was a chance buy, I had set up a low snipe and I happened to win it. was curious about it's mechanism and Now I am satisfied.

Best,

hari

Thank you, Hari.

I had waited for some time... and the M800 demo I reserved ended up being sold off.

So now I need to convince myself that the M800 is less superior as a demo, or else I

will really want to wait. Pity Pilot didn't make those OM nibs, that was what I wanted.

Even if they are available, switching nibs is not as easy, probably... :crybaby:

What would you suggest to me, M800/Heritage 92? In terms of quality and reliability?

In the case I don't mind forking out the money, is the 823 worth it compared to the 92?

Nicholas

Hari, were you able to disassemble the nib? I inked my 92 with Pilot Tsuki-yo and after flushing, there is still a fair bit of blue tint on the nib section. I flushed many times and that tint is still there. Wonder if I can just unscrew the nib, seeing there are threads there?

Many thanks Kai

Best regards, Kai

Montblanc 13x, #20/25/30/40, 244/6 Green Marbled, 322 Azure Blue, 234 1/2 G/PL, 256, 220, 34.

Montblanc 144G Grey, 146G Green Striated, 146 Silver Barley, 149 (50s-00s).

Montblanc WE Christie, Imperial Dragon, Wilde, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Proust, Schiller, Verne, Mann, Twain. PoA Prince Regent, Morgan...

Visconti Pontevecchio LE, Metropolitan Gordian Knot, Ripples. Omas Paragon Royale Blue HT, Extra Lucens Black LE. Pilot Silvern. Pelikan 620 Shanghai, 800 Blue o Blue.

No, i did not open the nib part. I think the section hood will unscrew. Looks like there is an O ring between the hood and the inner nib carrier. The nib and feed are friction fit into this carrier, looks like same arrangement like on the 823. Good luck!

Edited by hari317

I just ordered one of these pens. I am quite assured that it will be a wonderful experience,

having already spent some time with a Namiki. I got a F this time, and can't wait!!!!

Orange ink is so going on the inside of this pen. :thumbup:

very interesting pen :thumbup: is it exported in europe?

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Thanks for that. Very cool. I think my favorite part about fountain pens, after writing with them of course, is taking them apart to see how they work, or improving the stroke like you tried (like is easily possible with the TWSBI).

From what i've read about, the custom 94 uses the same nib as custom 74 right? So this means that the difference in price between the custom 74 and 94 is due to the filling mechanism.

To be honest, if i disregard the ink capacity, i will actually prefer a converter pen to a piston filler. The former is easier to clean, and cheaper to replace if something happens. Also, a converter pen is usually cheaper than a piston filler ( just like this case, or in the case of Sailor 1911 and Realo). Add to that the custom 74 takes the con 70 converter which has a huge ink capacity and i can't think of any reason ( for me at least) why i will pay more for the custom 94 over the 74.

Is there anyone who will speak up for the custom 94 and change my mind?

Please check out my blogshop for fountain pens and inks at http://inkoholicanonymous.blogspot.com/ Reviews of my pens can be found there too!

Purchased one of these as a present for my wife a few weeks ago at Itoya (Tokyo) while I was in Japan for work. Nib is a broad as she normally writes with European medium nibs & she loves the pen :thumbup: .

Piston filling system seems to work as well as my various Pelikans (M800 & M400).

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by Acer

Is it just me or is the TWSBI Diamond 530 a dead ringer for this pen?

I have both the Pilot 92 and a TWSBI 530. The Pilot is a smaller pen both capped and posted. The barrel of the Pilot isn't faceted and the cap band on the Pilot is much narrower. Both of my pens have medium nibs: the Pilot has better ink flow with a slightly narrower line than the TWSBI.

• 2 weeks later...

Would anyone kindly take apart your nib section in a photo? I am not sure how to do this without injuring the pen.

Is it even possible at all? I tried, but even with quite a bit of force it doesn't seem like it's friction fit. My Sailor nib

is far easier to pull out from it's nib section, together with it's feed.

Soak the nib/section in hot water for a minute, grab nib and feed, pull. That simple. Pilots are easy to take apart.

Ah! Hot water! Yeah, I do not want to pull to hard on the nib and feed because I am afraid it will be destroyed.

You won't hurt it. Just hold it close to your chest and pull out carefully. If it were too easy, the nib and feed would just fall out. Practice on a 78g first if you want. Same principal.

cheers

Thank you! The reason why I want to remove the nib/feed is that there are ink stains

on the nib section. I know it's normal but hopefully it isn't because the ink goes into

the lubricant. Perhaps if I clean the "ink" out I might need to lubricate again!