Montgomery pens

josh1990

Has anyone ordered from Montgomery pens before? Any good/bad comments on them.

I just wanted to know because thier prices are very low, but I like to check around before I order anything. ;)

Edited by josh1990

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• sdonahue

• Ghost Plane

• Gloucesterman

Montgomery stationery on ebay?

Yep prices are lower. I bought a $440 pen from them a year or so ago, supposed to be brand new. Arrived OK (well with big import hit but thats another story) but was a fair few weeks before I did anythng with the pen. Was very unhappy that pen was inked and had lots of dried ink crudding up the nib and feed - of course was a long time after it arrived so no come back - in fact very rude communications from them.

YMMV - but they most definitely will never get repeat custom from me.

HTH

Got a pen from them 2 years ago, do not remember what it was...

average condition that they manage to make the pens more photogenic than they are in real life. Not THAT cheaper, can do better if you try harder googling.

My $0.02

I have bought from them with no problems. They do have auctions and many at buy it now prices. The buy it now prices seem high to me, usually.

Ron

Ron

Favorite Pens: Parker "51"Lamy 2000; Bexley America the Beautiful; Pilot Custom 823, 912 and 74; Sheaffer Early Touchdown; Parker Vacumatic; Sheaffer Legacy

I have purchased two pens from them at auction; a Waterman Liaison and a Parker Sonnet Indigo. Both arrived promptly and well packaged. There were no problems with the transactions.

JT

if this is http://www.montgomerypens.com/index.asp.... that is where i bought my first two rotring core's, i ordered two fine nib pens, received one fine nib and one broad ;) , for the cost of the pen and shipping i didnt think it was worth returning the broad (plus, as a newbie i got to feel a broad tip?). the price was nice but they did confuse my order, granted i never gave or wanted them to make it right, ymmv

Are we talking about Montgomery Pens or Montgomery Station on eBay? Are they they same? In anycase, I checked out the site of Montgomery Pens, and for the pens I am familiar with, `most of the prices weren't exactly impressive. I would say quite the opposite.

Prices on some pens are sometimes good (but most pens are at retail or close to it). Pens are properly represented. Expect difficulties if you have to communicate with them directly. In one case I had paid immediately after winning the bid by paypal. The seller could not find the payment in his record (he has a high volume of sales) and it was like I was talking to a wall - as if he never read what exactly I was talking about. I heard similar comments about communications difficulties from others.

The one pen that I purchased from them was just as advertised, though their shipping rates seem awfully high to me.

--J. Haney

• 1 year later...

I enquired about a Rotring 600 to make sure that it was exactly what I was expecting and definitely in stock. It was not cheap by usual prices, but I didn't know about FPN. When I went to place my order on the same day the pen had suddenly shot up $20. I complained and it went back down again. I got hit with a large import fee so I decided never again. I bet I own one of the most expensive steel nibbed Rotring 600s ever.

The pen was perfect. I wouldn't go back though.

Another 1-1/2 year old thread!! :rolleyes:

Montgomery's pens are typically the highest priced of any major online dealer. They also typically buy up stock of discontinued pens to resell later at highly inflated prices. This normally causes a lot of animosity and flaming in these threads.

That said, when I've found a good price on one of their items, they've been 100% pleasant and professional. Obviously, YMMV.

Edited by KingJoe

Yep, bought from them... Pen was as represented, good deals sometimes on Ebay not usually so good on website...

As other say, I had no issues, but I also wouldn't expect exceptional service if there was an issue.

RAPT

Pens:Sailor Mini, Pelikan Grand Place, Stipula Ventidue with Ti Stub nib, Pelikan M605 with Binder Cursive Italic, Stipula Ventidue with Ti M nib, Vintage Pilot Semi-flex, Lamy Vista, Pilot Prera

For Sale:

Saving for: Edison Pearl

In my dreams: Nakaya Piccolo, custom colour/pattern

In transit:

A blast from the past...I don't know about the prices being among the highest online, they had at one time (and I haven't checked recently) about the lowest prices on Parker Sonnets anywhere. Granted it was mostly NOS Sonnets. I bought a bunch to give away as gifts or whatever. I've bought off them from eBay and their online store. Never had a problem with them, the same or better than most is how I would rate them and I believe they have a ton of positive feedback.

Edit-spelling (as usual)

Edited by greencobra

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

• 2 weeks later...

I feel vindicated and great. The escalating dispute between Montgomery Pens and me has been settled in my favour. :thumbup:

I'll never buy from them again.

They sometimes misrepresent pens on ebay. They once pegged an Omas Lucens (round shape) as an Extra Lucens (Paragon facets). Also, this auction came along at full retail price and was advertised as big dollar saver. Rather ridiculous. I am sure they don't do this on purpose but out of lack of attention and knowledge, methinks. I wouldn't touch their online store with a ten foot pole. But that's just me.

I have twice been offered Second Chances to buy pens advertised FS on eBay by mp ...the email addresses looked dodgy, so the first time I phoned them from here in Spain , and they denied all knowledge of it.

The second time I referred the offer to eBay who confirmed that it was not genuine.

Now I don't bid for anything they are selling.

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

I am still confused. Is Montgomery Pens (montgomerypens.com) and Montgomery Stationery (on eBay) the same place? I have purchased from the online store. The pen was well priced, shipped quickly, and was exactly as represented.

No dealing with the eBay seller.