#1 Ravenkeep

Ravenkeep

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2011 - 19:43

I want to get me a set of Calligraphy Nibs, and I had my eye on the Brause Brand; however, they are all created with oblique cuts, and I don't want to work with those kind of nibs. Does anybody know of any good calligraphy nibs that don't have the oblique cuts? I saw other brands, but I don't know what there reputations are (i.e. good nibs or bad nibs). Does Brause make any without oblique cuts?

#2 smk

smk

Antique

• Admin Tech.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2011 - 20:10

You might want to try the Mitchell nibs. They come in sets for italic and roundhand. The roundhand ones are slightly flexible and give excellent results. I find their detachable reservoirs a bit finicky though.

You might want to try Tachikawa C nibs too. They're from Japan and are chrome plated - they have two reservoirs (one above and one below the nib) and write very smoothly. They claim to stay sharp for a long time but I haven't had them long enough to judge that.

I have used Brause nibs and I don't really feel the angle in the nib when I'm writing with it, I suspect it because my concentration is on the writing.

I haven't used speedball nibs but they are highly regarded by some.

My recommendation would be to get a few of the different kinds of nibs and get a feel for what works for you - they're not that expensive.

Best of luck.

Salman

I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

My Blog :: Instagram

#3 Ravenkeep

Ravenkeep

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2011 - 21:29

Have you tried the Mitchell nibs without the reservoirs? I was wondering if it performed well without the reservoirs. Plus did you find that Mitchell Nibs flexibility to be a hindrance? I'm asking because the product description for those nibs made it sound like the flexibility might be a liability. If you had no problems with them I might just go with Mitchell.

#4 jbb

jbb

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,037 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2011 - 21:33

I'm not sure if the nibs I have are what you're looking for but thought I'd put up this link in case they are:

Birmingham Pen Co. nibs

#5 brunico

brunico

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2011 - 21:41

The Brause Bandzug nibs are something like 5 degrees rather than the typical 15 degrees or more of a typical oblique. Like Salman, I don't notice. Brause say they do it to give finer hairlines. I'm not experienced enough to recommend one brand over another, though.

#6 Ravenkeep

Ravenkeep

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:13

jbb,

No, I am not looking for those type of nibs yet. Those nibs will have to wait for a latter time.

brunico,

Does that apply to all Brause nibs, or does that only apply to the Brause Bandzug?

#7 smk

smk

Antique

• Admin Tech.

• 2,152 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2011 - 20:31

Have you tried the Mitchell nibs without the reservoirs? I was wondering if it performed well without the reservoirs. Plus did you find that Mitchell Nibs flexibility to be a hindrance? I'm asking because the product description for those nibs made it sound like the flexibility might be a liability. If you had no problems with them I might just go with Mitchell.

I have indeed tried the nibs without the reservoirs - and didn't like it. You can leave the reservoir off if you're using gouache and loading it up with a brush but the nib doesn't hold enough ink without the reservoir.

I should clarify my comment about the reservoirs; although I find them to be finnicky, they work very well once set up. I just don't like the cleaning process and am always afraid I'll lose one down the drain.

As for the flexibility, I think its a plus rather than a hindrance. I think it gives the nibs a nice feel. I am well satisfied with the Mitchell nibs - I mentioned the reservoirs simply because I feel that thats the main difference between these and Brause nibs.

I should also mention that your nib, and calligraphy, experience is highly dependent on the type of ink and paper you use. I strongly recommend Higgins Eternal as it gives excellent results with dip pens and produces superb hairlines.

Brunico - I was under the impression that the oblique cut in Brause nibs helped maintain nib angle - they do produce excellent hairlines though :-)

Salman

#8 brunico

brunico

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2011 - 22:22

Ravenkeep,

Just to the Bandzug, as far as I know. I can't find an amount in degrees, though, and I don't have a protractor. I'm not aware that they make any other italic nibs.

#9 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,935 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 22:47

I had not noticed that oblique on my Brause nibs, but I wasn't looking either.

italic Rustical---yes @ 5%. Full flexible cursive italic..:notworthy1:
That has been moved out of the deco piles on various double inkwells, to a pen stand. That nib I can use...a little.

The others no, they are not italic.

No................no italic grind of course, some are needle.
CITO-FINE = no.
328 M,full flex
Phannenfeder 50 full flex

511 weak kneed wet noodle OK still a weak kneed wet noodle, but them Hunt's... :notworthy1: :notworthy1:

I have a couple of Hunts and not even the most famous, that are very nice weak kneed wet noodles.99, 100, 103.. :puddle: :drool:

According to my original plan, by now, my hand, should have been ready to use them. That was plan A.
Now to plan, J.
Next year. :ltcapd:

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 01 February 2011 - 22:49.

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I no longer use the term Easy Full Flex.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Odd, how many who should know better, compares Japanese F (which equals EF), with Western F, with out a second thought, but do not compare Japanese B with Western B.

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens only; not the users of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#10 Surnia

Surnia

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:12

511 weak kneed wet noodle OK still a weak kneed wet noodle, but them Hunt's... :notworthy1: :notworthy1:

I have a couple of Hunts and not even the most famous, that are very nice weak kneed wet noodles.99, 100, 103.. :puddle: :drool:

According to my original plan, by now, my hand, should have been ready to use them. That was plan A.
Now to plan, J.
Next year. :ltcapd:

the 103 is amazing in line variation and ease, but that point is so sharp it makes regular writing very difficult. 99 and the 56 are great, I find the 56 is smooth enough to write with normally, while also having enough softness that it flexes on normal downstrokes. 99 takes a little bit more practice as its also rather sharp. Another bonus is, the 99 fits in your standard #5 feeds, minus a little curve adjustment!
Posted Image Member since Sept 7, 2010
TWSBI Diamond 530 - Private Reserve Avocado
Black Kaweco Sport M Nib - Diamine Oxblood
Wing Sung #233 - Noodler's Lexington Gray

#11 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,935 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:50

Ok, what is a #5 feed?

I have the pens (nibs) all shoved into various Eberhard Farber pen holders.

When I found all the other German nibs including some Soennecken and a couple of other German brands, I had to buy the pen-holder with the pen.

Before I start using them, when my hand is up to it, I need some Higgins ink and a better selection of papers.

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I no longer use the term Easy Full Flex.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Odd, how many who should know better, compares Japanese F (which equals EF), with Western F, with out a second thought, but do not compare Japanese B with Western B.

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens only; not the users of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#12 Surnia

Surnia

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2011 - 13:15

Ok, what is a #5 feed?

I have the pens (nibs) all shoved into various Eberhard Farber pen holders.

When I found all the other German nibs including some Soennecken and a couple of other German brands, I had to buy the pen-holder with the pen.

Before I start using them, when my hand is up to it, I need some Higgins ink and a better selection of papers.

standard 5mm diameter feed, aka. Noodler's pens, d530, and according to Nathan a whole bunch of vintage pens. I have pics of it working in one of the TWSBI threads...

#13 Ravenkeep

Ravenkeep

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2011 - 21:32

OK. I just heard back from Michael at John Neal Bookseller. It turns out that the Brause nibs don't fit the Century Turned Penholder that I ordered. Michael said that they fit, but are a bit snug, and will stick out more than you would like. So, Michael allowed me to switch my holder to the Woodcrafters Fine Pen Holder which will fit my Brause nibs much better. I went with the Brause nibs because you all said you didn't really notice any issues with the oblique cut, and I found that a lot of the nibs have that cut on them anyway. So, at some point I would have had to face this issue. Sorry if I have offended anybody by contacting Michael about this issue, but I had actually contacted Michael fist. So for reference the Woodcrafters Fine Pen Holder with the Brause Nibs are a perfect combination. Come to think of it, that would be a good idea. A reference of all the penholders out there, with a list of nibs that will and will not fit that holder(s). Oh well. Maybe in the future when I can create a blog.

Edited by Ravenkeep, 04 February 2011 - 21:33.

#14 Surnia

Surnia

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2011 - 21:52

OK. I just heard back from Michael at John Neal Bookseller. It turns out that the Brause nibs don't fit the Century Turned Penholder that I ordered. Michael said that they fit, but are a bit snug, and will stick out more than you would like. So, Michael allowed me to switch my holder to the Woodcrafters Fine Pen Holder which will fit my Brause nibs much better. I went with the Brause nibs because you all said you didn't really notice any issues with the oblique cut, and I found that a lot of the nibs have that cut on them anyway. So, at some point I would have had to face this issue. Sorry if I have offended anybody by contacting Michael about this issue, but I had actually contacted Michael fist. So for reference the Woodcrafters Fine Pen Holder with the Brause Nibs are a perfect combination. Come to think of it, that would be a good idea. A reference of all the penholders out there, with a list of nibs that will and will not fit that holder(s). Oh well. Maybe in the future when I can create a blog.

I picked up a nib holder from the Engens at dippens.net (no affil, very satisfied customer). Good price, and some very nice woods... I picked up one in Desert Ironwood and its gorgeous. It fits all my dip nibs so far, the smaller 99, 100, 103 are a little more difficult though (as I have the holding... tine things spread open for the Brause and Hunt 56).

#15 smk

smk

Antique

• Admin Tech.

• 2,152 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2011 - 22:00

I'm sure you'll enjoy using the Brause nibs. They are excellent and produce very good results.

Do post some scans of your practice when you get the nibs.

Salman

#16 jbb

jbb

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,037 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2011 - 22:51

I picked up a nib holder from the Engens at dippens.net (no affil, very satisfied customer). Good price, and some very nice woods... I picked up one in Desert Ironwood and its gorgeous. It fits all my dip nibs so far, the smaller 99, 100, 103 are a little more difficult though (as I have the holding... tine things spread open for the Brause and Hunt 56).

+ 1 for Engen21 dip pen holders! I love mine.

Posted Image