So many inks, so little time.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2011 - 16:41

No price limit!!
In the market to buy a pen from each different famous pen brand :D
Which Cross pen do you think is the best?
thanks lots!!!!

Townsend, although the sucker is a bit heavy in the shirt pocket.

Just my opinion, but I was asked what I think.

Rpf

#32 jslallar

jslallar

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 April 2011 - 21:38

Best Cross?
For looks Townsend definitely, if that is what you asked.
But if you want to enjoy writing with your Fp, Classic Century has few that can match the ink flow and smoothness. I like broad nibs, and have yet to write with anything better (though a few may be equals).
J Saleem
Enjoy your pens
Have a nice day
Junaid

#33 cuza

cuza

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 18:42

The best in my limited experience is the Solo. Superb nib. Low cost. Can't beat that combination, eh?

cuza

#34 JonB55198

JonB55198

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 880 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2011 - 20:32

The best in my limited experience is the Solo. Superb nib. Low cost. Can't beat that combination, eh?

cuza

The Solo is very cool and I have 3 for sale if anyone is interested. I have some of the marbled colors with gold trim. The one I have in my personal collection does write smoothly. :)
WTT : Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss)
WTB Used: Cross Signature Gold Barley Corn Fountain Pen (any nib)
Namiki Falcon with Fine Nib
Bexley America the Beautiful, Black. Bexley Elegancia, Blue Shell (any nib size on Bexleys)

#35 elysee

elysee

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,287 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:38

Absolute BEST Cross pen series is the Pinnacle -- ballpoint, rollerball, fountain pen -- beautiful lacquers, great weight, nice size and balance, beautiful nib for fountain pen! The nib section for the fountain pen and the end section for the rollerball are nicely finished unlike that of the Townsend.

My second favorite Cross pen series is the Townsend -- ballpoint, pencil, rollerball, fountain pen -- beautiful lacquers (especially the Lapis Lazuli, Jade, and Anthracite), nice weight and balance. Unfortunately, the nib section and the rollerball end section are not a nicely finished as that of the Pinnacle.

#36 stuartk

stuartk

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 804 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2011 - 13:58

Best Cross?
For looks Townsend definitely, if that is what you asked.
But if you want to enjoy writing with your Fp, Classic Century has few that can match the ink flow and smoothness. I like broad nibs, and have yet to write with anything better (though a few may be equals).
J Saleem

I don't have any pens with a broad nib, but I do have several Century FPs with F and M nibs. I also have several Century II pens with M nibs (and a spare XF nib).

I purchased a Century FP when they were first released, and I had to go through several pens until I got a good one that wrote smoothly and had good ink flow. I'm finding that the same may be true of the Century II, because 2 of mine are wonderful and one is lousy. I bought a replacement M 18K nib for the lousy one, and it's lousy too. (I'm planning to have one of the nibmeisters take a look at it.)

I also found the Solo FPs to be quite variable in terms of how they wrote. I have a half dozen of them in different colors and I think only 2 write really well. (They were all purchased new in sealed packages, so it's not that they were used and abused before I got them.)

The Century FP is my favorite, but the C II comes close. I also just purchased a Signature based on everyone's comments here, so I'll see what that's like.

#37 nicholasyeo

nicholasyeo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,769 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2011 - 15:28

The ATX was also very good. Reliable steel nib and beautiful design.

#38 Chris

Chris

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,616 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:22

Townsend - Lapi Lazuli first choice, or sterling silver second, solid gold (is there one still available) third provided it is high carat to be a little less harsh in colour than the bright yellow of the 10/12 carat models.

Blue Quartz looks nice too.

Chris

#39 JonB55198

JonB55198

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 880 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2011 - 22:42

Ok,
I now have all of the Cross Pens except for the 150th Anniversary Edition. What we should do is have a get together for anyone who wants to travel to the southeast massachusetts area. We can then each try the pens and discuss the merits of each... good idea?
-Jon
WTT : Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss)
Bexley America the Beautiful, Black. Bexley Elegancia, Blue Shell (any nib size on Bexleys)

#40 Hex

Hex

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2011 - 23:55

Help me to pick a cross pen so I can try my 1st and price is a significant object. :crybaby:

I just got me a Sailor Med 1911 and a Pelikan M215 so it seems only right to try a Cross of a similar price range.

I saw this Townsend on the Bay as one that is < $110.00. There seem to be quite a few for a lot more and the Townsend seems to be highly thought of.
Cross Townsend Fountain Pen Green Jewel Tone Med Nib
Cross Townsend

Is this the right place for my question should I start a new thread ?

thanks
Hex, aka George

#41 JonB55198

JonB55198

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 880 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:44

Hex,
A Cross Solo is probably the least expensive and is pretty darn reliable. But, the Cross Signature is probably my favorite and can be found for ~100 or so. I had some for sale a few months ago. I can check to see if I have more if you are interested....
-Jon

#42 tutelman

tutelman

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:07

My 2 cents worth: Verve is #1 (both the Platinum and Merlot finishes). Townsend is #2 (Lapis lazuli, Jade, Titanium Herringbone, Citrine, Ruby, etc.). #3 Pinnacle in the Peacock finish.

#43 hazcat

hazcat

Pen Nut

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:16

I have a well balanced, gold plated Century Fine and an ATX Medalist medium point that feels wonderful in my hand, but neither write as reliably and pleasurably as my Solo extra fines. I do crossword puzzles in the newspaper with them, they write so smoothly and fine. I forget about them for months at a time, but they write again immediately with no fuss at all. The Century and ATX, even after being serviced by Cross, just are not any fun for writing. They are unforgiving if not used daily, and are not as effortless as the Solo. I've used the Pelikan, Noodlers, and Aurora inks in them. I suppose I should sell them.
Don't you wish we could use our pens to write on the Fountain Pen Network Fora?

#44 hazcat

hazcat

Pen Nut

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:17

BTW, I would LOVE to have a Townsend Lapis Lazuli.
Don't you wish we could use our pens to write on the Fountain Pen Network Fora?

#45 Hex

Hex

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2011 - 15:25

Hex,
A Cross Solo is probably the least expensive and is pretty darn reliable. But, the Cross Signature is probably my favorite and can be found for ~100 or so. I had some for sale a few months ago. I can check to see if I have more if you are interested....
-Jon

E-mail sent re interest in a medium nib. Says, "cannot accept PMs"
Hex, aka George

#46 JonB55198

JonB55198

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 880 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2011 - 16:00

Not to stir up controversy. But instead of a Lapis lazuli Townsend, I would prefer an Aurora Optima in Blue Celluloid with Gold trim. Has anyone seen that?

#47 gvl

gvl

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 21:38

The Apogee Executive is a great looking pen.

If I was looking for a good ballpoint, I would be tempted by this one: Ebay Apogee Executive

(No connection with seller)

#48 tenney

tenney

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,549 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 September 2011 - 02:07

I like the Verve and it was $100 (maybe even a bit lower).
--
Glenn (I have a "pen" circle on G+)

#49 rogerb

rogerb

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,814 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 September 2011 - 02:18

Another vote for the Verve Merlot,the only Cross I have kept .... I paid 70 GBP for it, new.
Lovely smooth nib (by Namiki, I think), and interesting styling.
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you. Don Marquis US humorist (1878 - 1937)

#50 Geniesser

Geniesser

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 15:17

Definitely the Cross VERVE. Easy writing with a touch of grandness. I realy like the long long nib which is the outstanding trait in combination with the "cigar" occurence.

#51 JonB55198

JonB55198

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 880 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:01

I got a deal on a Verve for $50 on ebay a while back. You just have to watch out for a used one. they sometimes list them with no reserve and a starting bid of $1.

#52 tenney

tenney

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,549 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:44

Never happens to me... :-(
--

#53 JonB55198

JonB55198

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 880 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 September 2011 - 18:03

Yeah its rare that it happens. I guess I just maintain a list of pens that I would like to try, and cruise around looking for deals on those and take them as they come. Then, when I get bored I sell the pens. :)

#54 tenney

tenney

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,549 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:09

I could always use another Verve for $50 when you get bored...
--

#55 Quixote

Quixote

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:14

I am probably going to get killed for this, but I would say C-Series. It's just a cool, different, smooth pen.

#56 patjoyce

patjoyce

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:48

My choice is the Sterling Silver Century II. This is a wider bodystyle, close to Townsend dimensions and comes with a solid 18K Rhodium Plated Nib. Although it currently lists at retail for $300.00 many can be found for less. Mine was made in the USA and is coupled with the Sterling Silver Century II BP and 5.0 Pencil.

#57 JonB55198

JonB55198

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 880 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 September 2011 - 20:41

Cool I've never seen the Sterling Century II. I have the gold-filled one.

#58 RLTodd

RLTodd

Thor's Legions

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 September 2011 - 21:32

I don't think this is an answerable question.

I guess it is more what the OP thinks and values rather than any of the rest of us.

I think I like my Cross Solo better than my Cross Century II, and I only like my Townsend to any degree if it is unposted.
YMMV

#59 Timur

Timur

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 19:49

Hello,
my first posting. I think also that this golden Cross 150th Anniversary fountain pen is most beautifull ones. But costly.
Especially in Germany. As seen on äbay

http://kleinanzeigen...halter/39665397

#60 OTDoc

OTDoc

OTDoc

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 October 2011 - 00:39

Gotta go with the Townsend. I have a Jade and Lapis Lazuli (sp?) :cloud9:
Long live the Empire!