Best Cross Pen?

freshcinnamon

No price limit!!

In the market to buy a pen from each different famous pen brand :D

Which Cross pen do you think is the best?

thanks lots!!!!

It might not be the fashionable choice, but I just can't see past the Century. Its simple elegance makes it a real classic. Plus they're great value right now. I recently got a brand new boxed one, (I assume it must have been old stock), with a solid gold 18k nib and 10K rolled gold cap and barrel for £60 off the bay (and it was a 'buy it now' into the bargain). To put that into context, you couldn't buy just a 14K gold nib for a Century II for that. Yet, as much as I admire the Century II, it's a nice pen, in my book it isn't a better pen than the old Century. Mine has a fine nib and it's a lovely writer. I love it, it makes me want to sit down and write. For me, that's the ultimate sign of a user and a writing instrument that are well suited.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonB55198

• tenney

• RMN

• adamselene

When I bought my Century 10K gold filled pen in 1980 I thought it was over-ostentatious. It seems conservative now. Fine nib still writes nicely.

I think I enjoyed pens better when I just used them rather than collecting so many. I just enjoyed them then. Something is lost by overdoing it.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

When I bought my Century 10K gold filled pen in 1980 I thought it was over-ostentatious. It seems conservative now. Fine nib still writes nicely.

I think I enjoyed pens better when I just used them rather than collecting so many. I just enjoyed them then. Something is lost by overdoing it.

A lot of truth in that! I like to use my pens; that's my enjoyment, not in having so many. Collecting fountain pens can be a two-edged sword! :rolleyes:

empyrean Conklin,Stipula Pyrite, Bon Voyage & Tuscany Dreams Siena, Levengers, Sailor 1911,Pelikan M200, Bexley BX802, AoLiWen Music Notes pen, Jinhao's,1935 Parker Deluxe Challenger, 1930s Eversharp Gold Seal RingTop, 1940s Sheaffer Tuckaway, 1944 Sheaffer Triumph, Visconti Van Gogh midi, Esties!(SJ, T, and J),Cross Townsend Medalist & Aventura, 1930s Mentmore Autoflow, A bunch of Conway-Stewarts 84, Platinum 3776 Chartres Blue(med); Montegrappa Elmo (broad nib), Delta "The Journal" (med nib), Conklin Yellowstone (med nib)

A case of 'less is more'?

I agree, holding, fumbling, using the pen is what I like best. I don't collect to just look at it in some pristine condition. In fact, I prefer my pens to show the character of years of usage.

CFTPM

• 2 weeks later...

The Verve and the Townsend are both fabulous pens. The Townsends are built better,

the 18k nibs are essentially Pelikan 425s. The Verve has that unique look with a Namiki

nib... So how do you choose? Flip a coin and then get both!

I have only used one, and I own it, a Apogee. It is my check writing pen loaded with Legal Lapis and a gift from my grandsons. So I'm a bit partial and will say that it's my favorite Cross fp.

PMS

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -Thomas Jefferson

My favorite is the Pinnacle. Verve is a close second. Somehow I just can't seem to get the Verve tuned quite right. It's close but not quite where I want it. And it's not easy to adjust that nib.

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

Being a Parker/Sheaffer guy, I still had to get my Verve Merlot. I loved the styling too much. But was surprised how it gets in the way of durability and usability regarding the cap/clip. The cap has no finish on lip its a razor, the clip is pretty unusable and plastic piece it attaches to is weak and only glued onto the cap body. I say all this because despite it all - Wow what a nice writer! As good as any, and supported by probably the best customer service in the biz of the large manufacturers. Awesome to look at, hold and write with. Just not a great traveller. I mean wow.

No price limit!!

In the market to buy a pen from each different famous pen brand :D

Which Cross pen do you think is the best?

thanks lots!!!!

Townsend, although the sucker is a bit heavy in the shirt pocket.

Just my opinion, but I was asked what I think.

Rpf

Best Cross?

For looks Townsend definitely, if that is what you asked.

But if you want to enjoy writing with your Fp, Classic Century has few that can match the ink flow and smoothness. I like broad nibs, and have yet to write with anything better (though a few may be equals).

J Saleem

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid

• 2 months later...

The best in my limited experience is the Solo. Superb nib. Low cost. Can't beat that combination, eh?

cuza

The best in my limited experience is the Solo. Superb nib. Low cost. Can't beat that combination, eh?

cuza

The Solo is very cool and I have 3 for sale if anyone is interested. I have some of the marbled colors with gold trim. The one I have in my personal collection does write smoothly. :)

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

WTB: 1. Camlin SD

2. 1950s to early 1960s 1st Gen MB 149 with BB nib

3. Airmail 90T Teal Swirl

4. PenBBS 355-16SF Demonstrator

Absolute BEST Cross pen series is the Pinnacle -- ballpoint, rollerball, fountain pen -- beautiful lacquers, great weight, nice size and balance, beautiful nib for fountain pen! The nib section for the fountain pen and the end section for the rollerball are nicely finished unlike that of the Townsend.

My second favorite Cross pen series is the Townsend -- ballpoint, pencil, rollerball, fountain pen -- beautiful lacquers (especially the Lapis Lazuli, Jade, and Anthracite), nice weight and balance. Unfortunately, the nib section and the rollerball end section are not a nicely finished as that of the Pinnacle.

Best Cross?

For looks Townsend definitely, if that is what you asked.

But if you want to enjoy writing with your Fp, Classic Century has few that can match the ink flow and smoothness. I like broad nibs, and have yet to write with anything better (though a few may be equals).

J Saleem

I don't have any pens with a broad nib, but I do have several Century FPs with F and M nibs. I also have several Century II pens with M nibs (and a spare XF nib).

I purchased a Century FP when they were first released, and I had to go through several pens until I got a good one that wrote smoothly and had good ink flow. I'm finding that the same may be true of the Century II, because 2 of mine are wonderful and one is lousy. I bought a replacement M 18K nib for the lousy one, and it's lousy too. (I'm planning to have one of the nibmeisters take a look at it.)

I also found the Solo FPs to be quite variable in terms of how they wrote. I have a half dozen of them in different colors and I think only 2 write really well. (They were all purchased new in sealed packages, so it's not that they were used and abused before I got them.)

The Century FP is my favorite, but the C II comes close. I also just purchased a Signature based on everyone's comments here, so I'll see what that's like.

• 3 weeks later...

Townsend - Lapi Lazuli first choice, or sterling silver second, solid gold (is there one still available) third provided it is high carat to be a little less harsh in colour than the bright yellow of the 10/12 carat models.

Blue Quartz looks nice too.

Chris

• 1 month later...

Ok,

I now have all of the Cross Pens except for the 150th Anniversary Edition. What we should do is have a get together for anyone who wants to travel to the southeast massachusetts area. We can then each try the pens and discuss the merits of each... good idea?

-Jon

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

WTB: 1. Camlin SD

2. 1950s to early 1960s 1st Gen MB 149 with BB nib

3. Airmail 90T Teal Swirl

4. PenBBS 355-16SF Demonstrator

Help me to pick a cross pen so I can try my 1st and price is a significant object. :crybaby:

I just got me a Sailor Med 1911 and a Pelikan M215 so it seems only right to try a Cross of a similar price range.

I saw this Townsend on the Bay as one that is < $110.00. There seem to be quite a few for a lot more and the Townsend seems to be highly thought of.

Cross Townsend Fountain Pen Green Jewel Tone Med Nib

Cross Townsend

Is this the right place for my question should I start a new thread ?

thanks

Hex, aka George