#1 Highbinder

Highbinder

Strange

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 18:43

Well, a half truth anyway.

I prefer pencils for writing when I'm outside. My pens tend to stay at home. And I derive a similiar cathartic enjoyment from scribbling with a pencil as I do with my fountain pens.

Anyone else agree with me here?

Pilot Vanishing Point; Red; M nib; Noodler's Zhivago

Montblanc 14; B nib; Pelikan Blue

#2 Mech_Pencil

Mech_Pencil

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 18:45

Definitely! My favorite one right now is the Uni-shift 1010
Greeeeeeeat pencil Posted Image

I like pencils better than fountain pens, but that might only be due to the fact that currently, I have two fountain pens Posted Image

"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery; None but ourselves can free our minds" ~ Bob Marley

Posted Image

#3 Chris H

Chris H

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 January 2011 - 18:47

I am very fond of pencils, especially mechanical pencils. I tend to write initial drafts in pencil and then copy over in pen. I find the "impermanence" of pencil to aid in the creativity process. What I write is not permanent, so I can dash it off and come back to perfect it.

Chris
Very much interested in Life, Liberty, and especially the pursuit of Happiness!

#4 Inky dog

Inky dog

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 January 2011 - 18:53

I am pens all the way :wacko: :hmm1: :bawl: :gaah: :wacko: :yikes: :clap1: :drool: :ltcapd: :puddle: :roflmho: :headsmack: :bunny01:

#5 Joane

Joane

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,113 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 18:54

I luuuuuuuv writing with pencils, especially those with soft fat leads. Among contemporary pencils I like the Faber-Castell writing experience the best for regular black writing and in coloured pencils, which I use to decorate my letters (written with fountain pen, of course), I like Caran d'Ache. I also have a Gessner pencil that is so much fun.

Posted Image
Happiness is a real Montblanc...

#6 Mech_Pencil

Mech_Pencil

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 19:03

I luuuuuuuv writing with pencils, especially those with soft fat leads. Among contemporary pencils I like the Faber-Castell writing experience the best for regular black writing and in coloured pencils, which I use to decorate my letters (written with fountain pen, of course), I like Caran d'Ache. I also have a Gessner pencil that is so much fun.

Posted Image

Joane, if im not mistaken, all those pencils are uni shifts!
Are there really that many colors?

"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery; None but ourselves can free our minds" ~ Bob Marley

Posted Image

#7 Joane

Joane

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,113 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 19:27

Posted Image

Joane, if im not mistaken, all those pencils are uni shifts!
Are there really that many colors?

MP, I'm not sure what uni shifts are--haven't heard the term before. If you're referring to the pencils in my avatar, those are Faber-Castell pencils. Not only do that many colours exist in the line but what I have (found in a thrift store) is only a fraction of the colours F-C puts out. They actually have a set with 120 different colours! I use that photo because I like the visual effect but I still prefer Caran d'Ache pencils for artwork.

Edited by Joane, 26 January 2011 - 19:27.

#8 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 January 2011 - 19:37

I prefer pencils 9 % of the time. 90 % are FPs. To repeat what I wrote elsewhere, my perfect non-pen remains a pencil. Especially when I jot down what groceries to buy, since I usually hold that note in between my lips and don't want to end up with a blue or blue-black mouth. BPs (the remaining 1 %) likely offer the same cosmetic discretion, but my mouth finds those instruments unsympathetic.

Mike
Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#9 alexander_k

alexander_k

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 832 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 19:48

It doesn't matter as long as you keep writing, sketching, drawing or otherwise making marks with your hands on paper. There's a time and place for everyting - even b*llpoints (well, almost ;-).

#10 writebyhand

writebyhand

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 19:49

I think pencils are great and under-appreciated.

Some of my favorite pencil varieties:

Mitsubishi Hi-Uni
http://www.jetpens.c...p/cPath/620_621

Staedtler Tradition Rubber-Tip
https://cultpens.com...ped-Pencil.html

Dixon Ticonderoga (although quality has declined since production was moved outside of the United States)
http://www.staples.c...roduct_SS138180

#11 LuckyDog10

LuckyDog10

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 20:18

I have my old Pentel mechanical pencils with me as we speak. The .5 mm is my go to, but I have the .7 mm as a backup, and my two .3mm at home are WAY fun to use on my calendars! (I have a .9 mm as well, but my husband has claimed it for his math class.)

I used to walk around with a wooden pencil stuck in my ponytail, but the cheap wooden pencils they supply around here have lousy wood that gets all rough at the sharpened end and they catch in my hair. Plus the erasers suck. PLUS they are the kind that don't sharpen evenly, so the sharpened point barely sticks up above the wood on one side (which drives me NUTS).

I certainly don't prefer pencils to pens, but my Pentels do give me a nice writing experience.
"In order to achieve the impossible, one must attempt the absurd." - Miguel de Cervantes

#12 Dutchpen

Dutchpen

Diplomat #750

• Premium - Ruby

• 933 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 January 2011 - 20:29

i also use a pencil at work.
a fountainpen is very nice to write with when i'm inside. but writing with a fp outside, especially when it's raining, is almost impossible.
i really love my rotring 600 trio pen (first edition with knurled grip). it's almost the perfect pen/pencil.

Lennard
Do you need modern pen parts? Please contact me.

#13 Tberry010

Tberry010

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 20:41

I like pencils and prefer my Pentel Classic 5 (a .05), a Pentel Kerry, a Caran d'Ache 2mm Fixpencil, and wooden cased California Cedar Palominos. I prefer lead a little harder than the standard #2. I think the Mirado is not as good as it used to be but loved the 2 1/2 and used it for years. .
Many years ago I thought the Sheaffer mech pencil was the very best pencil ever made, and still think it was pretty good.

#14 razr

razr

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 January 2011 - 21:02

I am very fond of pencils, especially mechanical pencils.

For some strange reason I went through a period buying dozens of mechanical pencils on eBay. I guess it was because my dad was a Civil Engineer and we always had a bunch of these lying around.

#15 LuckyDog10

LuckyDog10

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 21:45

I like pencils and prefer my Pentel Classic 5 (a .05), a Pentel Kerry, a Caran d'Ache 2mm Fixpencil, and wooden cased California Cedar Palominos. I prefer lead a little harder than the standard #2. I think the Mirado is not as good as it used to be but loved the 2 1/2 and used it for years. .
Many years ago I thought the Sheaffer mech pencil was the very best pencil ever made, and still think it was pretty good.

Yes, I was disappointed with the Mirados I bought too. Based on the catalog description, I was expecting something...well...different than a standard-issue wooden pencil. It was nothing special, not worth the additional expense.
"In order to achieve the impossible, one must attempt the absurd." - Miguel de Cervantes

#16 Parc Monceau

Parc Monceau

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2011 - 00:02

I also like pencils. Like Joane, I like soft leaded ones. No. 1 wooden pencils are great. And I also like the Bic mechanical pencils. A very smooth write and easy to use.

#17 beak

beak

R82105N

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2011 - 00:17

Pencils are magic. Have used them all my professional life for drawing, and for writing. Can't stand 'mechanical' pencils - too fiddly and unreliable for me (personal) - my draughting done with 2mm clutch holders.

My first choice general use pencil - 2B Faber 'Junior grip' which can be had cheaply in a supermarket. Easy to hold, don't roll off a chart table, and well made. When they get too short to hold, I tightly roll the stub in a scrap paper tube to extend it - glue or tape in place.
Sincerely, beak. God does not work in mysterious ways – he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.

#18 rwilsonedn

rwilsonedn

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,538 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 00:37

I trust all you pencil fans have read Henry Petroski's wonderful history, "The Pencil: A History of Design and Circumstance."
ron

#19 Safari_Camo

Safari_Camo

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2011 - 00:53

Nothing is faster for writing than a pencil... :thumbup:

I like this two:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Safari_Camo, 27 January 2011 - 01:03.

#20 Joane

Joane

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,113 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:06

Nothing is faster to write than a pencil... :thumbup:

I like this two:

Posted Image

SC, my late dad was an industrial designer and his pencil of choice was the Staedtler Mars. He had just about every hardness grade for different purposes. I have inherited a number of them and my fave among them is the 4B. I also like the Staedtler Mars erasers.

#21 pakmanpony

pakmanpony

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,426 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:12

U R Sick and need help....

Just Kidding but I really do have a hard time reaching for a pencil anymore. Even do crosswords and sudoku with a pen now a days.

#22 Black Rose

Black Rose

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:41

I'm finding myself using mechanical pencils more and more these days.

It would appear I have a thing for Zebra MPs in particular :rolleyes:

Posted Image

In addition to these (a pair of M-301s, a pair of M-402s, and six M-701s) I also have a really old Pentel PD345 that has a solid black body and not the transparent body of the 90s PD345.
Also have an Inoxcrom MP that was given to me as a present by my late Grandmother back in the mid-80s.

Looking to pick up a Parker Jotter Stainless Steel MP as well.
In Ottawa, Ontario? Check out The Ottawa Pen Posse

#23 Randal6393

Randal6393

Granddaugter is great!

• Member - Gold

• 1,949 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:09

Yep, have used pencils for many, many years. Great for laying out work -- have a 4H lead in a 2mm clutch holder that can plan a wedding invitation all by itself.

Think of the Bauhaus philosophy -- form follows function. Just as I will chase a nib when looking for a fountain pen, so I will carefully select a pencil for hardness, darkness, etc. against intended use.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

#24 milkb0at

milkb0at

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:15

I like mechanical pencils too. In fact, they get used much more than my FP since I'm regularly sketching graphs, jotting down quick notes, trying out a few equations and such like, all of which can be erased if needed.

Plus, they are much cheaper than FPs so it is easier to justify buying a new one :).

#25 jonveley

jonveley

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2011 - 01:07

I share the leadophilia.

#26 Squi

Squi

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 02:02

Happy to use a wooden pencil any time, though some erasers are absolutely useless (and eraser-less pencils are just weird). On the other hand, I can't stand mechanical pencils...a combination of the feeling and the sound just get to me real bad. Like nails on a chalkboard or something along those lines. Even thinking about it makes me a little uneasy.

#27 cclewis76

cclewis76

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 02:06

I'm not about to say I prefer pencils, but being an engineer I do have to use them a lot. I have used Pentels for years and frankly I'm tired of them, they're boring. I bought a Lamy mp a few months ago, meh, it's OK, nothing special. I was in in Rome a couple of weeks ago on business and went into a pen shop. I found a Faber Castell MP made out of pear wood there and bought it. It was about 15 euros. Absolutely wonderful, I love it. (for a pencil, that is...) ;)
Do you like Thrillers? Read The El Morro Connection. You can find it on Amazon.com or Barnes & Noble.com in the ebook section. Soon it'll be available in hardcopy. It's written by C. Clayton Lewis. And that would be me. Let me warn you, don't start reading it the night before you have to get up early...

#28 warden

warden

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2011 - 02:34

I tend to use the Staedtler Mars 2mm Clutch pencils constantly, especially for field work. I also have a couple of others floating around. They last forever and write in the rain :D

#29 O'Hare

O'Hare

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2011 - 02:50

:thumbup:

#30 jBeckett

jBeckett

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 04:03

Ah... I couldn't really compare them. I guess if you look at the mechanics of the delivery rather than the medium. I see fountain pens more related to watercolors than charcoal/graphite.

If I was forced to pick, I'd probably take pencils over fountain pens though, assuming I can still use the ink with brush and dip.