#1 ThirdeYe

ThirdeYe

Snail Mail Addict

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2011 - 19:08

Here is a nice, underrated and often unnoticed ink that I just purchased on sale from Goulet Pens (no affiliation). If you notice in the scan, there isn't a lot of blue to the ink, it's more of a gray/black with a hint of blue, but I love it. Has a great vintage feel to it, and doesn't seem to fade to teal like Quink Blue-Black does. I really enjoy the stuff, but if you're looking for something with a lot of blue in it, this probably isn't for you. For a larger version of the image, please visit the review on my blog here: My Blog Review

Posted Image
Close-up sample:
Posted Image
Blotter sample on a napkin:
Posted Image

Questions & Comments are welcome.

-Derek (ThirdeYe)

Edited by ThirdeYe, 23 January 2011 - 01:40.

Derek's Pens and Pencils
Posted Image
I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

#2 corniche

corniche

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,065 posts
  • Location:No one will tell me & I've never been good at geography
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2011 - 20:30

Hello Derek,

Sheaffer Skrip blue-black was the first ink I ever used, (I think); I used to purchase it in a drug store in the old bottle with the built-in ink well with the yellow and blue label and domed cap; unfortunately, they changed the color when they moved to Slovenia, (it used to be a little bluer- which I liked). Fortunately, Sheaffer did retain most of the original's characteristics- good flow, nice shading, adequate lubrication, etc.

Thanks for the review, BTW, I miss your blot samples, they were informative too.

All the best,

Sean :)

Edited by S. P. Colfer, 22 January 2011 - 20:30.

Catholicism is the law of life, the life of the intelligence, the solution to all problems.  Catholicism is the Truth and everything that departs from it, one iota, is disorder, deception and error. - Juan D. Cortés

Catholics Come Home.org

#3 ThirdeYe

ThirdeYe

Snail Mail Addict

• Member - Gold

• 1,556 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2011 - 20:34

Hello Derek,

Sheaffer Skrip blue-black was the first ink I ever used, (I think); I used to purchase it in a drug store in the old bottle with the built-in ink well with the yellow and blue label and domed cap; unfortunately, they changed the color when they moved to Slovenia, (it used to be a little bluer- which I liked). Fortunately, Sheaffer did retain most of the original's characteristics- good flow, nice shading, adequate lubrication, etc.

Thanks for the review, BTW, I miss your blot samples, they were informative too.

All the best,

I'll have to do those again, it isn't too much trouble to reintroduce that. :) I have one of those old Skrip bottles, as you can see in my Avatar. Found it at an antiques mall, with the Snorkel advertisement on the box. Too bad the bottle was empty, as I'd like to try some of the old stuff. Matches my Snorkel I found recently! :)
Derek's Pens and Pencils
Posted Image
I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

#4 jde

jde

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,635 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 20:45

Someone gave me some of this ink recently. It is slow to dry even using fine point pens (as opposed to something bolder). I like the vintage look of it, though.

Edited by jde, 22 January 2011 - 20:45.

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August
...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

#5 ThirdeYe

ThirdeYe

Snail Mail Addict

• Member - Gold

• 1,556 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2011 - 20:48

Someone gave me some of this ink recently. It is slow to dry even using fine point pens (as opposed to something bolder). I like the vintage look of it, though.

Interesting, it seems to dry quickly on regular lined notebook paper for me, perhaps it is slower to dry on heavier papers like Rhodia/Clairefontaine, etc.?
Derek's Pens and Pencils
Posted Image

#6 corniche

corniche

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,065 posts
  • Location:No one will tell me & I've never been good at geography
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2011 - 20:56

I'll have to do those again, it isn't too much trouble to reintroduce that. :) I have one of those old Skrip bottles, as you can see in my Avatar. Found it at an antiques mall, with the Snorkel advertisement on the box. Too bad the bottle was empty, as I'd like to try some of the old stuff. Matches my Snorkel I found recently! :)

GOOD GRIEF!! I have got to lay down with a cold cloth on my head. :huh: All this time and I've never noticed the old Skrip bottle in your avatar- for some reason, my eyes are always drawn to that old Sheaffer PEN.

- Sean :)

Catholicism is the law of life, the life of the intelligence, the solution to all problems.  Catholicism is the Truth and everything that departs from it, one iota, is disorder, deception and error. - Juan D. Cortés

Catholics Come Home.org

#7 ThirdeYe

ThirdeYe

Snail Mail Addict

• Member - Gold

• 1,556 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2011 - 21:05

GOOD GRIEF!! I have got to lay down with a cold cloth on my head. :huh: All this time and I've never noticed the old Skrip bottle in your avatar- for some reason, my eyes are always drawn to that old Sheaffer PEN.

- Sean :)

:roflmho: No worries! The flash really washed out the picture so I can't say I blame you. I'm going to retake that picture with my new found Snorkel sometime soon, preferably without my keyboard in half of the picture. :doh:

Edited by ThirdeYe, 22 January 2011 - 21:06.

Derek's Pens and Pencils
Posted Image

#8 knitknitfrog

knitknitfrog

Fibre & Ink junkie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2011 - 22:42

Nice, I have been using noodlers air Corp blu black which seems similar in that it tends towered grey black but is perhaps darker. The local Pen and ink shop stocks sell skrip intermittently soI will look out for this. I do love grey blues.
Question - completely sort of off topic but sort of following on, online knitting forums shorten local yarn shop to LYS .... Is there a similar acronym here for local pen/ink shop at all?

Edited by knitknitfrog, 22 January 2011 - 22:45.

#9 ThirdeYe

ThirdeYe

Snail Mail Addict

• Member - Gold

• 1,556 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 January 2011 - 01:41

Hello Derek,

All the best,

Added a blotter sample from a napkin to my original post. :thumbup:
Derek's Pens and Pencils
Posted Image

#10 BobR

BobR

Reduced for Quick Sale

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:56

As stated, this has a great vintage look and I've had no performance problems, although a few people have reported flow problems over the years. It's my ink of choice for pens with a lot of flex.

#11 jde

jde

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,635 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:18

Interesting, it seems to dry quickly on regular lined notebook paper for me, perhaps it is slower to dry on heavier papers like Rhodia/Clairefontaine, etc.?

I have found it's slow to dry no matter the paper, from crummy to good. From reading other posts on FPN that I'm not alone in the smearing-if-not-careful. Doesn't detract from my appreciation of it. Or your nice review.

Edit: Maybe "slow to dry" is not quite right... as I've other inks that are veryyyyyy slow. it is merely quick to smear, in my experience. :happyberet:

Edited by jde, 23 January 2011 - 03:21.

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August
...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

#12 jonathanchuang1

jonathanchuang1

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:19

This is the first ink I have ever used, and I still buy a bottle whenever I stock on some of my other inks or when I buy a pen. I used this ink throughout my high school career.

#13 Jared

Jared

Italics of many sorts

• Member - Gold

• 825 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 13:52

I really enjoy Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black. I have both the vintage and Slovenia versions, and actually like the Slovenia color a bit better, though the vintage Skrip bottle is hard to beat.

#14 bwnewton

bwnewton

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 18:57

I appreciate the color of Skrip BB. However, I experienced having problems with the ink flow slowing after writing for a bit. I read of others having the same experience. Any of you?

#15 kurazaybo

kurazaybo

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2011 - 16:22

Blue-black was the first color I ever used with a fountain pen, Inoxcrom carts in a cheap Inoxcrom pen.

Some people have described the color as boring, impersonal and not very social, but I find it attractive yet discreet and easy on the eyes. It is adequate for everyday office use while being instantly recognizable as a more unique shade, compared to ballpoints/gel pens that most coworkers use. I like it.

I have not experienced problems with the flow but have only used this ink in carts, maybe there is some difference with the bottled version?

Edited by kurazaybo, 07 March 2011 - 16:23.

#16 ThirdeYe

ThirdeYe

Snail Mail Addict

• Member - Gold

• 1,556 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2011 - 17:08

I am still using this ink in my Sheaffer 330 and I have no flow issues at all. Even if I don't use the pen for a week, it starts up instantly and doesn't skip.
Derek's Pens and Pencils
Posted Image

#17 kurazaybo

kurazaybo

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2011 - 19:25

One thing I forgot to mention, I noticed this particular ink is much harder to remove from the skin than Sheaffer's Brown and black Quink.

#18 tnmike1

tnmike1

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 21:49

I really enjoy Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black. I have both the vintage and Slovenia versions, and actually like the Slovenia color a bit better, though the vintage Skrip bottle is hard to beat.

I'm almost done with my only bottle of vintage Skrip and can't seem to find it again on ebay. fantastic ink with great water resistance and shading. O well, now off to get samples of some modern blue blacks to see if I can be as happy with them as I am with the Skrip while stll maintaining water resistance and hopefully some shading as well
Knoxville TN & Palm Coast FL

#19 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,722 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2011 - 21:22

Nice review!

I have the VINTAGE BB, and I almost gave it away because I didn't like the bottle. I caught myself just in time.

I don't know about the new formulation but the old has this greeny, blacky, grayish cast that I really like.

#20 ThirdeYe

ThirdeYe

Snail Mail Addict

• Member - Gold

• 1,556 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:27

Nice review!

I have the VINTAGE BB, and I almost gave it away because I didn't like the bottle. I caught myself just in time.

I don't know about the new formulation but the old has this greeny, blacky, grayish cast that I really like.

You don't like that nifty built-in inkwell? I think it's neat. I have a vintage Skrip bottle (empty) and I think it's a very novel idea.
Derek's Pens and Pencils
Posted Image

#21 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,722 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2011 - 15:49

Nice review!

You don't like that nifty built-in inkwell? I think it's neat. I have a vintage Skrip bottle (empty) and I think it's a very novel idea.

No, I LIKED the inkwell. But the cap was so big (still is!) that I had trouble opening. Weak hands.

That's one of the reasons I like the J Herbin bottles. Never had a problem opening one!

#22 ticoun

ticoun

Sheaffer & Pentax nut

• Member - Gold

• 1,834 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 April 2011 - 17:19

i compared my old blue black carts to the new one that was in my friend's nononsense(i used a sheaffer 330 stub btw). the old formulation is definitely bluer than the new one. still a great blue black, but i don't like that greenish shade in the new mix.

the other day, i found a speedball calligraphy booklet that my dad signed and dated in 1979. it was signed with the 330 stub in question with some sheaffer blue black. it faded a bit, but it's still completely legible.

ps. forgot to say that i really like the shading of this ink when used with a stub/italic nib. now i miss writing with my 330! :crybaby:

Edited by ticoun, 06 April 2011 - 17:22.

-Eclipse Flat Top-|-Parker "51" Aero-|-Sheaffer's Snorkel Sentinel-|-Esterbrook SJ-|-Sheaffer Imperial II Deluxe TD-|-Sheaffer 330-|-Reform 1745-|-PenUsa Genesis-|-Hero 616-|-Noodler's Flex-|-Schneider Voice-|-TWSBI Vac 700-

Take a look at my DeviantART gallery!

#23 ThirdeYe

ThirdeYe

Snail Mail Addict

• Member - Gold

• 1,556 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:16

I think it's strange that you're finding a green tint to your new Skrip Blue-Black... I don't see any green at all when I use mine. Just a gray/black/blue. I see green in my Quink Blue-Black however...
Derek's Pens and Pencils
Posted Image

#24 pmsalty

pmsalty

shamus

• Member - Gold

• 1,312 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:27

This and Parker Blue-Black Quink were the first inks I ever used in grammar school back some almost half century ago. I use the modern version now in several pens. I have never had any drying issues with it. But then I live in the California desert, low humidity, and I am left handed and this ink has never seared on me. Nice review on a common but nice ink.
PMS
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -Thomas Jefferson

#25 futhark

futhark

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2011 - 00:43

This is really OT, but wondered how well you like your Parker Challenger? I think some of the models are very neat looking pens, and but I've wondered how they write. I am sure the nibs are variable, but how is the filling system in use?

#26 ThirdeYe

ThirdeYe

Snail Mail Addict

• Member - Gold

• 1,556 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:40

The Challenger De Luxe is very smooth and wet. The filling system is effective, but the button is a little "stiff" so it requires two hands to push it down usually. One to grip the pen tight and one to push the button down. It has a two-sided nib so one side is medium, one side is fine. I find that the medium side writes much more smoothly. Mine has a fairly small ink capacity, but that is likely due to the fact that mine is the smaller sized verzion (ladies size?) or because it lays down such a wet line. The nib also has a little bit of spring to it to give your writing a bit of writing variation. It isn't a nail, but it isn't fully flexible either, if I remember right. I'll have to check that again to see if my memory is serving me correctly. I haven't used the pen in a few months.

Regarding the review of Skrip Blue-Black, I did a water resistance test a few weeks back using standard copy paper and found it to be fairly water resistant as well. Much more so than Quink Blue-Black. It was still completely legible after running water over it and soaking it, even trying to smudge it with my finger. Just a little more faint, but would hold up for writing on envelopes that could get wet, etc.

Edited by ThirdeYe, 15 April 2011 - 04:48.

Derek's Pens and Pencils
Posted Image

#27 ticoun

ticoun

Sheaffer & Pentax nut

• Member - Gold

• 1,834 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2011 - 22:21

I think it's strange that you're finding a green tint to your new Skrip Blue-Black... I don't see any green at all when I use mine. Just a gray/black/blue. I see green in my Quink Blue-Black however...

there is a bit of green in the new one, but it is only apparent with very dry nibs.

-Eclipse Flat Top-|-Parker "51" Aero-|-Sheaffer's Snorkel Sentinel-|-Esterbrook SJ-|-Sheaffer Imperial II Deluxe TD-|-Sheaffer 330-|-Reform 1745-|-PenUsa Genesis-|-Hero 616-|-Noodler's Flex-|-Schneider Voice-|-TWSBI Vac 700-

Take a look at my DeviantART gallery!

#28 Weiss.ar

Weiss.ar

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:56

I notice that this ink flows really heavily from my Pelikan m200 - but that everything except for Pelikan ink flows pretty heavily from my m200. This ink feathered and flowed really heavily on cheap paper. Has anyone else had unpleasant experiences with this Sheaffer ink on cheap legal pads? (It does seem to be better, though still quite wet on my nice composition notebooks.)

#29 ThirdeYe

ThirdeYe

Snail Mail Addict

• Member - Gold

• 1,556 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:18

I haven't had any issues with it on cheap paper. Then again, I tend to use it in fine nibbed pens that don't tend to output a ton of ink.
Derek's Pens and Pencils
Posted Image

#30 Weiss.ar

Weiss.ar

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2011 - 15:59

I haven't had any issues with it on cheap paper. Then again, I tend to use it in fine nibbed pens that don't tend to output a ton of ink.

Ah ok. I'm still a big newbie when it comes to all things fountain pen related, but basically it could be the nib that's causing the flow in addition to the type of ink it is?

Which has the greater impact on the results: the ink, the nib, or the paper?

Thanks so much for your help.

Cheers.