• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SamCapote

• Professor Plume

• saintsimon

• WOBentley

Here is that image which was also displayed in the TWSBI bottle design thread.

"This eightsided bottle is designed in 1936 by Andries Dirk Copier (1901 - 1991) for the Dutch ink manufacture Gimborn. It comes in two varieties, the more common "langhals" (long neck) and the smaller "babylanghals".

post-25926-127319374401.jpg

There's a bunch of other vintage images here: http://www.1001inkbo...drenardinks.asp

Do you have a pre-occupation wth long neck (regarding your avatar)?

Great research though, because the long neck IS the Akkerman bottle!

Tim

Edited by thoppen

Best regards, Tim

Maybe we could ask if The Writing Desk intend to import these inks to the UK if there is sifficient demand.

I'd certainly be up for buying some.

It's a nice idea, but I suspect Martin would need to be sure of the market over here in the UK.

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

Like Michael, the colours remind me of the French Callifolio inks, which can be ordered here:http://www.artisanpastellier.com

... (Also to L' Artisan Pastellier about theirs).

You both have very bad influence on me... :gaah:

I've just orderd the following Callifolio inks from http://www.artisanpastellier.com:

• OCONTO
  • ITZAMNA
  • HAVANE
  • GRIS PAYNE
  • ANDRINOPLE
  • OHLANGA
  • OLIFANTS
  • OMI OSUN
  • BLEU ATLANTIQUE
  • BOURGOGNE
  • BLEU AZUR
  • BLEU PACIFIQUE

:wub:

(shipping from France to Germany is 17 Euro)

You can view additional color samples of the Callifolio inks here:

Callifolio Ink Samples on http://forum.styloplume.net

(http://forum.styloplume.net/)

and here:

http://encres.styloplume.net/

and here:

http://blog.styloplume.net.

Also inks are available not only in glass bottles but also refill pouches (more ink for less money).

On the matter of the Akkerman inks I'm still undecided which inks to get. The more I think about it the more I believe it is rebottled Diamine inks (which is not a bad thing but I have most of the Diamine inks already :blush:). I will get a few bottles anyways sooner or later just for the great bottles.

Cheers

Michael

LOL! Sorry to feed your addiction. I saw that other sytloplume link, but when I google translated, it said

"January 2011: les commandes d'encres seules se font sur le site marchand de l'artisan pastellier (www.artisanpastellier.com) orders are only ink on the merchant site of the artisan Pastellier," so I contacted them about only getting those pouches.

The Akkerman does say "To mark the 100 anniversary PW Akkerman has introduced a line of its own ink. Akkerman fountain pen ink is available in 30 vibrant colors and natural fit for any type of pen." You may be right that it is supplied by Diamine, DeAtramentis, Herbin, etc. I can't imagine it is worth a relatively small retail operation gearing up an entire ink making operation that is compliant with Euro environmental restrictions.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Is there any possibility that a dealer could acquire bottles of this design in quantity and supply them empty--or with one's choice of ink?

For all of those interested in the cost of shipping to the US here is a direct reply:

"TNT seems to be the cheapest way... with regular mail with track & Trace

To ship 3 bottles (which is just les than 2 kg with packing) cost € 24,30 euro

If you want more bottles up to 8 (from 2 till 5 kg with packaging) the cost are 34,30 euro."

My order is in process...

On another note, color #23 is apparently a brown color...can anyone translate the name for me I have tried translation software but it makes no sense.

#23 is Bekakt Haags

and...if my rudimantary knowledge if German is close to correct, please feel free to answer that by PM... :embarrassed_smile:

Edited by WOBentley

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

I ordered all 34 of them from Artisen in aluminum packs, of course. Total with shipping to USA was 143.90 Euros ($196 USD) Weight reported as 2.7 kg (6 lbs) shipping was 27 Euros. Had a few useful items in emails to pass on. The inks are all made by Didier Boinnard who is a chemical engineer who specializes in making natural products for artists. The Callifolio inks are all water-based, non-pigmented, safe for all fountain pens. They are able to be intermixed with each other, and are made without any solvents. No toxicity issues, and can be stored for years. The aluminum packs are an excellent light proof storage container.

Now on to the Akkermans.

Well ... the shipping charges blow me out of the water, but I was sure it would be pretty high. I'll just admire them from afar.

Well ... the shipping charges blow me out of the water, but I was sure it would be pretty high. I'll just admire them from afar.

I agree, it is a bit of a splurge, but I really wanted some of the bottles

For all of those interested in the cost of shipping to the US here is a direct reply:

If you want more bottles up to 8 (from 2 till 5 kg with packaging) the cost are 34,30 euro."

On another note, color #23 is apparently a brown color...can anyone translate the name for me I have tried translation software but it makes no sense.

#23 is Bekakt Haags

and...if my rudimantary knowledge if German is close to correct, please feel free to answer that by PM... :embarrassed_smile:

All colour names refer to the city of The Hague (Den Haag in Dutch). The adjective of Den Haag is 'Haags'.

The Hague is commonly known in the Netherlands for having some rather posh areas. The Dutch name for (speaking) posh is 'bekakt'.

The name Bekakt Haags therefor means 'The Haguean posh'

That leaves us with the matter of the colour brown. The root word of bekakt is kak. And kak in Dutch in fact also means .......... pooh.

Hence the colour brown.

Regards, Tim

Best regards, Tim

#23 is Bekakt Haags

All colour names refer to the city of The Hague (Den Haag in Dutch). The adjective of Den Haag is 'Haags'.

The Hague is commonly known in the Netherlands for having some rather posh areas. The Dutch name for (speaking) posh is 'bekakt'.

That leaves us with the matter of the colour brown. The root word of bekakt is kak. And kak in Dutch in fact also means .......... pooh.

Hence the colour brown.

Regards, Tim

Maybe it should be ink #2 then? :embarrassed_smile:

By the way, Akkermans is a Private reserve reseller. When I was there a few months ago and they showed me the test color chart many colors looked the same as their PR brothers....

Yeah, I would bet these are PR inks. There may be some unique colors made for Akkerman, but this google translation implies the standard 37 colors are not at the Hague store where instead, they have their own Andries Dirk Copier designed "langhals" 100th Anniversary bottles with "Den Haag" printed on label, & unique color names/chart instead. PR is the only company I know that prints samples of its inks in the same zig/zag Q-Tip type fashion.

See my following post.

Edited by SamCapote

I don't normally care about the bottles at all, but those are really cool! I would definitely buy one or two of those! Too bad the website doesn't have an English button so I could read it.

I just spoke with Paul Rutte who speaks perfect English, as did the woman who answered the phone. They are absolutely wonderful and gracious people, and I first apologized to them for not speaking Dutch. They replied to my email that I sent over the weekend to my google mail (@gmail.com) account, which put their message into my SPAM folder, so anyone sending emails, check that first.

Paul is very aware and sensitive to how expensive the shipping is to other countries, and did quite a bit of work to find the best options. Apparently the UPS/FedEx/DHL methods are astronomical prices, and the TNT ship and track method is the most cost effective.

I came out and asked him if these were made for them by Private Reserve, and he laughed and said: "No, and you can post that I gave that feedback on the forum." (I had sent him a link to this thread). He said the colors are all named after local items in Den Haag (The Hague). For example, there was a popular band called "Shocking Blue" that had many hits, such as "Venus" that the #5 ink is named after. You should immediately recognize this song:

He also recommended that because the bottles are more fragile, that we start with a quantity of 3 and see how it works out. They do not take credit card or PayPal by phone, so you will need to tell them your color preference by email, then they will determine total cost and you must send payment by bank wire transfer.

I asked his advice on the most popular colors, and he said #3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 22, & 24

I am starting with #3, 5, 9

Does Akkerman have a store in Amsterdam, also?

There is a penstore called P.W. Akkerman in Amsterdam. I never figured out the relation between them. Their site don't mention the inks (http://www.pwakkerman.nl), since the inks have specific Hague names i guess they will not be for sale in Amsterdam.

Edited by GeeTee

#23 is Bekakt Haags

Hence the colour brown.

Regards, Tim

Tim,

Thank you for clearing that up...the translation software translated it as "Stuck up" in The Hague...and yes...that is what my rudimentary German was telling me...but I couldn't believe they would name an ink...well you get the idea!

I don't normally care about the bottles at all, but those are really cool! I would definitely buy one or two of those! Too bad the website doesn't have an English button so I could read it.

Sean,

If you search for PW Akkerman in google just under the site listing there is a link that says "translate this page" click on it and you get a passable translation that is a bit awkward but understandable.

Dave

Does Akkerman have a store in Amsterdam, also?

There is a penstore called P.W. Akkerman in Amsterdam. I never figured out the relation between them. Their site don't mention the inks (http://www.pwakkerman.nl), since the inks have specific Hague names i guess they will not be for sale in Amsterdam.

I have read that the two proprietors are related but not on good terms with each other.

#23 is Bekakt Haags

Hence the colour brown.

Regards, Tim

That is fantastic. Shame we don't get wonderful organic names from the native English speaking manufacturers.

http://www.ishafoundation.org/images/stories/inner/ie-logo.gif

Inner Engineering Link

In my language (Afrikaans) which originated from Dutch some 300 years ago, and is still mutually understandable, "bekakt" has the same strong meaning you are all referring to, relating to the color brown, it is unquestionably the most descriptive and original name I have ever seen. My family were screaming with laughter. I had to sternly admonish my 12-year old son that the word is NOT to be used at school, it is strictly a Dutch word for use at home and in private company! Hilarious. Also one of the colors I most definitely want to get in this ink.

I also exchanged email with Paul Rutte, what a helpful and pleasant man!

Making use of the TNT option for my first 3 bottles....can't wait!!