Akkerman Inks From The Netherlands

Michael R.

I thought I'd post a photo of a quick ink sample comparing Akkerman's Oranje Boven with the Diamine oranges. There has been some discussion about this and this photo really doesn't depict it effectively, but these inks clearly have their subtle differences.

Now I would expect the Dutch to be picky about their royal colour.laugh.gif Akkerman can't come forward with something washed out or without dignity, since they are purveyors to the court now and the ink might end up on the shopping list of Queen Beatrix herself. She was "Prinses van Oranje" as heir to the throne of a dynasty which has roots in the Principality of Orange.

And, of course, "oranje boven" is a chant sung when the Dutch National football team ("KNVB") plays.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SamCapote

• Professor Plume

• saintsimon

• WOBentley

I just did all three bottles on one page, each with two nibs. I'm also leaning heavily towards their being Diamine inks. I looked at microscopics on my three which are not that out of line with many inks, but #5 is borderline leaning towards too much smutz. I'm gonna have to get a Smutz ranking system....let's see. If the worst Smutz I have seen is +5, then #3 & 9 would be a +1 and #5 would be a +2

(thumbnails)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/Inks/Akkerman/Akkermanss.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/Inks/Akkerman/Akkerman-3s.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/Inks/Akkerman/Akkerman-5s.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/Inks/Akkerman/Akkerman-9s.jpg

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

I thought I'd post a photo of a quick ink sample comparing Akkerman's Oranje Boven with the Diamine oranges. There has been some discussion about this and this photo really doesn't depict it effectively, but these inks clearly have their subtle differences.

Now I would expect the Dutch to be picky about their royal colour.laugh.gif Akkerman can't come forward with something washed out or without dignity, since they are purveyors to the court now and the ink might end up on the shopping list of Queen Beatrix herself. She was "Prinses van Oranje" as heir to the throne of a dynasty which has roots in the Principality of Orange.

And, of course, "oranje boven" is a chant sung when the Dutch National football team ("KNVB") plays.

Dutch culture and history spreading all over the world, packaged in vintage ink bottles! Akkerman should be proud I'd say.:roflmho: Would they realize what a perfect export product they carry?

Just one small correction for if anyone's interested: "Oranje Boven" is indeed a typical Dutch chant. But when our national team plays, they play our national anthem, the "Wilhelmus", that has quite a bit more contents.

"Oranje Boven" is what people sing (in the streets mostly) on our Queen's Day, our national feast on April 30th. That day many people dress up in orange, sell their junk on the streets (like garage sales) and celebrate and go a little bit crazy. The chant contains the words "long live the queen" (and no other lines than those), and so it is very informal.

Edit: the queen resides in The Hague, the city of Akkerman's, so there is the connection. All the names of Akkerman's inks refer to things that are typically from the city of The Hague.

Edited by Lovesink

Passions need to be followed and shared

Dutch culture and history spreading all over the world, packaged in vintage ink bottles! Akkerman should be proud I'd say.:roflmho: Would they realize what a perfect export product they carry?

Just one small correction for if anyone's interested: "Oranje Boven" is indeed a typical Dutch chant. But when our national team plays, they play our national anthem, the "Wilhelmus", that has quite a bit more contents.

"Oranje Boven" is what people sing (in the streets mostly) on our Queen's Day, our national feast on April 30th. That day many people dress up in orange, sell their junk on the streets (like garage sales) and celebrate and go a little bit crazy. The chant contains the words "long live the queen" (and no other lines than those), and so it is very informal.

Edit: the queen resides in The Hague, the city of Akkerman's, so there is the connection. All the names of Akkerman's inks refer to things that are typically from the city of The Hague.

Sure, before the game the KNVB lines up for The Wilhelmus,,,very serious moment. Once the game begins, though, crowds of orange-shirted supporters chant "oranje boven" at every opportunity. Also phrases that are typically shouted at referees who make a call against the Dutch...but I won't repeat them here!

Confession: my wife is Dutch, having been born in Den Haag. She hates American baseball and football, and sports in general, but whenever the Dutch national team plays, we watch. Dutch (and Dutch-related) fans jam into sports bars in mid-town Manhattan. Yes, the Spanish team deserved to win...we were hoping for a lucky goal.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Just curious why people would think that a Dutch company would use an English brand of ink and repackage it, rather than make their own.

Similarities between colours would have to happen because ink companies would know what sells well, and what is chemically possible, wouldn't it?

Just curious why people would think that a Dutch company would use an English brand of ink and repackage it, rather than make their own.

Similarities between colours would have to happen because ink companies would know what sells well, and what is chemically possible, wouldn't it?

Probably for the same reason that they didn't make the Andries Dirk Copier bottles themselves. They are a retail office store.

Probably for the same reason that they didn't make the Andries Dirk Copier bottles themselves. They are a retail office store.

There's a bit of a difference between having your own glass works factory and having your own ink factory.

There's a bit of a difference between having your own glass works factory and having your own ink factory.

I have seen both done in a garage, but alas neither were attached to the back of a retail office store.

Sure, before the game the KNVB lines up for The Wilhelmus,,,very serious moment. Once the game begins, though, crowds of orange-shirted supporters chant "oranje boven" at every opportunity. Also phrases that are typically shouted at referees who make a call against the Dutch...but I won't repeat them here!

Confession: my wife is Dutch, having been born in Den Haag. She hates American baseball and football, and sports in general, but whenever the Dutch national team plays, we watch. Dutch (and Dutch-related) fans jam into sports bars in mid-town Manhattan. Yes, the Spanish team deserved to win...we were hoping for a lucky goal.

How nice, your wife is Dutch, and even from The Hague. That's great. Well then who am I to explain anything about Holland or The Hague... You're right, you can hear the Oranje Boven chant any time a big group of Dutchies dressed in orange throws a party somewhere.

And ahhh. I wouldn't dare commenting on a Dutch soccer team. Or any soccer team. I'm afraid to get off topic and say something clumsy.....:rolleyes: Greetings to your wife!

Passions need to be followed and shared

• 2 weeks later...

Does Akkerman have a store in Amsterdam, also?

The Akkermanns in Amsterdam do not carry the inks. They are only available from the Hague. I sent my friend into Akkermans on a visit to Amsterdam and they looked at him as if he was crazy and claimed no knowledge of these inks. They actually had to do an internet search to find out about it. My friend in Rotterdam sent his daughter, who lives in the Hague to Akkermanns there, to buy some for me. It arrived yesterday. The violet is very wet ink that is suited to the person who writes cursive, quickly and fluently. It is not suited to the slow writer, who pauses over each letter.

The Akkermanns in Amsterdam do not carry the inks. They are only available from the Hague. I sent my friend into Akkermans on a visit to Amsterdam and they looked at him as if he was crazy and claimed no knowledge of these inks. They actually had to do an internet search to find out about it. My friend in Rotterdam sent his daughter, who lives in the Hague to Akkermanns there, to buy some for me. It arrived yesterday. The violet is very wet ink that is suited to the person who writes cursive, quickly and fluently. It is not suited to the slow writer, who pauses over each letter.

That's pretty funny since they just had a big article in the current issue of Pen World, including images of that new bottle.

That's pretty funny since they just had a big article in the current issue of Pen World, including images of that new bottle.

No, its not surprising at all, since the two businesses are entirely unrelated. In the mid-1900's, the original store owner opened branches in Utrecht and Amsterdam. The Utrecht branch was eventually sold and renamed, the Amsterdam branch was also sold, but retained the name, however, it is an entirely independent business, more into office supplies than FP's in particular. Today, there is no relationship between the original PW Akkerman Den Haag, and Akkerman office supplies in Amsterdam.

I am getting ready to place an order and having a really hard time making up my mind on colors. Has anyone tried 8 or 26; 8 is a blue and 26 is a green? Are there scans here somewhere? My other two that I am definitely ordering are 13 and 16, the violet and the orange. Not colors that I would normally pick, but the scans were irresistable.

Thanks for feeding my ink addiction. :thumbup:

Sheaffer Targa - Parker Penman Sapphire----- Luoshi - Silk Road Green

Twsbi - Noodler's North African Violet-----Lamy Vista - Noodler's Marine Green

WTB Lamy Terracotta and Savannah, Sweden LE, Japan LE

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd273/BrownEyedGirl248/Avatars/InkDrop.jpgMember since 1-28-11

I'd love one of these! Is there anyone else in Australia who'd like to go in on a joint order? ie Order together as a group and share int'l shipping to one address, then pay individual domestic shipping for your own items to be forwarded on...? I've coordinated a few such group orders over the years, across different hobbies/interests.

Oh, you will really enjoy the Oranje Boven and the Violet. I've become so devoted to them< i've taken to driving around with one of the bottles in the cup holder of my car, lest I run out of ink when I'm away from my desk!! You will relish these.

I am getting ready to place an order and having a really hard time making up my mind on colors. Has anyone tried 8 or 26; 8 is a blue and 26 is a green? Are there scans here somewhere? My other two that I am definitely ordering are 13 and 16, the violet and the orange. Not colors that I would normally pick, but the scans were irresistable.

I have a bottle of #26 on order - it should be here any day. I'll post scans when it arrives.

I have a bottle of #26 on order - it should be here any day. I'll post scans when it arrives.

Well, Geoduc, you have incredible handwriting and I'm so looking forwarding to viewing your next post with scan!

Pardon me for posting in your thread. Basic incompetence--I've even practiced NOT doing this. Thanks for being a gracious sport and, again, keep us Akkerman fans posted about your new arrivals! Thanks!

Edited by Professor Plume

Here are my two reviews ( replayed from the review threads, which are linked below):

Garuda Rood

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k408/mattcolvin47/GerudaRood.jpg

Parkpop Purper

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k408/mattcolvin47/ParkpopPurper1.jpg

Both on plain copy paper (92 brightness) with Osmiroid 65 and 75 calligraphy pens, and two Parker 51s (fine for Rood, medium for Purper).

UPDATED

1 Passage Blauw

2 Residentie Blauw

3 Akkerman Blauw-------SCAN---Sam Capote, epo, rockspyder

4 Nassaus Blauw

5 Shocking Blue------REVIEW----WOBentley, Thoppen, Sam Capote, geoduc, Jimothy, MiamiArchStudent

6 Binnenhof Blues-------SCAN---geoduc

7 KoninginneNach-Blauw

8 Diep-Duinwaterblauw------mac47

9 Laan van Nieuw Oost-Indigo-----SCAN---SamCapote, epo

10 Akkerman IJzer-Galnoten blzw-----WOBentley

11 Treves-Turquoise-----REVIEW---Thoppen

12 Mauritshuis Magenta

13 Simplisties Violet------SCAN---Professor Plume, Jimothy

14 Parkpop Purper------ SCAN---mac47

15 Voorhout Violet------SCAN---Tortoise

16 Oranje Boven------SCAN---epo, Professor Plume, Jimothy

17 Staten-Generaal Rood-----geoduc

18 Garuda Rood----------SCAN---WOBentley, MiamiArchStudent, mac47

19 Rood Haags pluche

20 Pulchri Pink

21 China Town Red

22 Hopjesbruin

23 Bekakt Haags----------SCAN---Tortoise, WOBentley, rockspyder

24 Zuiderpark Blauw-Groen

25 Denneweg Groen

26 Groenmarkt Smaragd-----geoduc

27 Bezuidemwoudgroen--------WOBentley

28 Hofkwartier Groen-----SCAN---Professor Plume

29 Holviver Grijs

30 Het Zwarte Pad------rockspyder

Dark Blue------BlueKnight

Reviews are here https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/160612-index-of-ink-reviews/

Scans are in this thread.

And here https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/189672-akkerman-verhout-violet-bekakt-haags-compared-to-diamine-damson-chocolate/page__pid__1915662#entry1915662

Sheaffer Targa - Parker Penman Sapphire----- Luoshi - Silk Road Green

Twsbi - Noodler's North African Violet-----Lamy Vista - Noodler's Marine Green

WTB Lamy Terracotta and Savannah, Sweden LE, Japan LE

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd273/BrownEyedGirl248/Avatars/InkDrop.jpgMember since 1-28-11