78 replies to this topic

#1 inkspot

inkspot

Audiophile

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 16:36

I love beautiful papers and lovely cards to write letters and notes on. I'm curious, what does your stationery look like? I currently have beautiful teal and gold butterfly letter sheets (shown here, bumble bee correspondence cards (shown here), and tiny lady bug note cards (shown here). I also have some beautiful cards on their way from France.

Edit: Seemed to have forgotten a couple parentheses :embarrassed_smile:

Edited by inkspot, 15 January 2011 - 14:51.

#2 ribbit

ribbit

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 17:52

Those bees are great! How is the paper? I've heard Crane has become less fp friendly... I don't have anything interesting-just the large Clairfontaine Triomphe pads
Posted Image Posted Image

#3 inkspot

inkspot

Audiophile

• Member - Gold

• 1,687 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 19:50

I haven't found any problems with the Crane products, though I do tend to use finer nibs and drier inks with those cards. They also seem to have a greater variety of papers now, so perhaps some types are less FP friendly than others.

#4 alecgold

alecgold

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2011 - 21:59

wouldn't have thought I would like those bumble bees, but these are nice!
I don't have that nice stationery, I hardly ever have use for it, besides company paper.
But I really do appreciate nice engraved-printed papers.
Cacoethes scribendi

#5 inkspot

inkspot

Audiophile

• Member - Gold

• 1,687 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:14

wouldn't have thought I would like those bumble bees, but these are nice!

Aren't they wonderful? I like the little touch of whimsy with the overall elegance of the set. I like to write lots of letters, and I love pretty stationery, but I also wanted something that I enjoyed but that my male pen pals wouldn't object to. They fit perfectly.

#6 alecgold

alecgold

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:49

Hmmm, nice choice, bumble bees.

In Europe crane is a bit harder to get, but I like thesis paper from cranes so much I really go through a lot of trouble to get it.
And when I get it I'll take 150 letter sized leafs and have them bound in the most beautiful made notebook. The paper is 100% cotton, acid free, archival quality with a nice watermark. the binding is made to last forever ad I really enjoy using them.
I also use them to write sometimes a letter, but I don't get to much comment on the paper. People got so used to using crappy paper they don't look at it anymore.
A couple of weeks ago I held a 1790's book with a superb flamingo painted in it. It was magnificent paper, a truly superb piece of workmanship in binding and even after centuries still an awesome piece of work that made me respect the guy that made the paper, the printer, the one that painted the pictures and the bookbinder. All of them did a wonderful job! http://www.teylersmu...page=41&lang=nl the colors are a bit dull on my screen but almost luminous, bright and beautiful!
Today you hardly see that kind of superior craftsmanship. I needed to really search hard to find this paper that is fp friendly and of archival quality. I found a bookbinder that is able
To deliver spring backs, but he is literally on the other side of my country.
And to me it is all worth it.
But with stationary it's the same. It's so difficult to find decent stationary: good paper, sharp printing, nice envelopes to go with it. There aren't that many companies that can deliver such craftsmanship.

But I'm rambling on a bit. I would like to see more stationary from other people!

Edited by alecgold, 15 January 2011 - 01:54.

Cacoethes scribendi

#7 Blade Runner

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,898 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:50

Here's some of my stationery wardrobe which consists of >100 boxed sets and 9 reams, mostly 100% cotton in a variety of sizes, weights, colors, and trim. My favorite is d Crane's Monarch sheets, 32lb, 100% cotton, pearl white copperplate engraved with my name in navy blue.

Posted Image

#8 Sassafras

Sassafras

lurker extrodinare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:46

Since recently getting some pen pals and trying to find decent Stationery that is also what I am willing to pay, I've been pretty disappointed.

I picked up some clearance printed sets from Target but they are folding note cards with envelopes. Very pretty but not necessarily what I consider letter writing material.
I do have some printer stationery I picked up from Staples about 4 years ago now, that is cream with leaves on it. It's pretty, and I've just been writing on it and then bought an envelope template to make envelopes out of the same paper.

However, tonight I went by Micheal's and picked up a thick pad of scrapbook papers with an "All Seasons" theme to start making envelopes out of with my template. I figure if my envelopes are fancy, then I can write on whatever FP friendly paper I choose, like bagesse, and my letters will still be fun and have some personality at a price I am willing to pay.

Your mileage may vary of course.

#9 IWantThat

IWantThat

I dream in ink...

• Member - Gold

• 1,517 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:56

Here's some of my stationery wardrobe which consists of >100 boxed sets and 9 reams, mostly 100% cotton in a variety of sizes, weights, colors, and trim. My favorite is d Crane's Monarch sheets, 32lb, 100% cotton, pearl white copperplate engraved with my name in navy blue...

Blade Runner, your stationery collection is the ULTIMATE Posted Image
Tamara

#10 ribbit

ribbit

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:30

My Triomphe is so well behaved I have a hard time justifying anything else. I would like some correspondence cards though. I would kill to have the rooster from Crane's fold over notes on correspondence cards.

#11 inkspot

inkspot

Audiophile

• Member - Gold

• 1,687 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 14:25

I would kill to have the rooster from Crane's fold over notes on correspondence cards.

I haven't seen the rooster. Can you post a picture or a link? I have a friend who does chicken research - she would LOVE good quality rooster cards!

#12 ribbit

ribbit

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 15:46

On myphone so I can't link but I'll give directions. :)
Stationery to boxed stationery to folded notes to hand engraved notes. Second page I think.

I keep chickens so I really want them but I hate the wasted paper. Can't write on the back because of the engraving 'hole.'

http://www.crane.com...ndEngravedNotes

Edited by ribbit, 15 January 2011 - 20:27.

#13 KeatsPhD

KeatsPhD

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:53

I received personalized Crane folded notes for my birthday last year from my husband. We went to the store (Papyrus at the local mall) and looked through the numerous Crane books. I settled on triple debossed ecru notes with my full name engraved in dark green with a fountain pen motif above my name. :cloud9: I have the engraving die as well, so at some point down the road I'll add letter sheets to the collection.

#14 IWantThat

IWantThat

I dream in ink...

• Member - Gold

• 1,517 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:12

I too have my personalized Crane stationery and the die for my monogram so I can have them reprinted any time. We even have an amazing print shop here in Denver called Foil & Die, which does custom printing, embossing and letterpress. I may take my die there next time to get something really amazing :)
Tamara

#15 GreenVelvet

GreenVelvet

The Missive Maven

• Member - Gold

• 1,943 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 15:01

I have way too much stationery to point out individually, but there are lots of stationery photos scattered throughout my blog.

I can't compete with Blade Runner's collection (!!) but here are my stationery shelves. That photo is over a year old and the collection has grown a wee bit since then..
:embarrassed_smile:

#16 inkspot

inkspot

Audiophile

• Member - Gold

• 1,687 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 20:30

I love those shelves! I clearly have a long way to go with my stationery collection :embarrassed_smile:

#17 alecgold

alecgold

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 January 2011 - 20:39

I love those shelves! I clearly have a long way to go with my stationery collection :embarrassed_smile:

+1 !!!!
What à collection some of you have! Unbelievable. And I feel a bit guilty about having a stash of 500 sheets of cranes thesis paper. And a few notebooks. Okay, handmade and really expensive ones, but noting to compare with these shelves of paper.
Cacoethes scribendi

#18 jgrasty

jgrasty

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,911 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 January 2011 - 21:07

My collection of stationery is very tiny, as I write only a few letters a year. I have Clairefontaine Triumphe paper and envelopes, and G. Lalo Verge de France paper and envelopes. And a few el cheapo Thank You notes from Staples...
Regards,

Joey

In use: Pelikan M200 Green Marbled (EF nib) with Noodler's Black and Pilot Fermo (M nib) with Noodler's Legal Lapis.

#19 inkspot

inkspot

Audiophile

• Member - Gold

• 1,687 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 21:31

Don't knock the el cheapo stuff - some of that has turned out to be some of my favourite paper and cards for correspondence. It tends to be cuter and easier to part with ;)

#20 ribbit

ribbit

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 22:41

I too have my personalized Crane stationery and the die for my monogram so I can have them reprinted any time. We even have an amazing print shop here in Denver called Foil & Die, which does custom printing, embossing and letterpress. I may take my die there next time to get something really amazing :)

I'm just going to pretend I didn't see that.

This thread caused the need for shopping. Went to Joanns and bought a bunch of card stock to make envelopes. Been meaning to do that for a while. First few are drying now. Not exactly a suite of engraved Crane's but it will do.

#21 inkspot

inkspot

Audiophile

• Member - Gold

• 1,687 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 23:55

This thread caused the need for shopping. Went to Joanns and bought a bunch of card stock to make envelopes. Been meaning to do that for a while. First few are drying now. Not exactly a suite of engraved Crane's but it will do.

I like to make my own stationery too. I think it adds a nice personal touch, it tends to be cheaper, and it gives me total control over the paper I get to write with. I would love to see a photo of your envelopes when they're dry!

#22 meghan

meghan

Ink Hoarder

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:33

Oooooh I love stationery show-and-tell! Here is a photo line-up of all my letter stationery.

Crane Teal-Lined Envelopes with white Letter Sheets
Posted Image

Peter Pauper Black & Cream Letter Sheets
Posted Image

G. Lalo Verge de France Turquoise Letter Sheets
Posted Image

Fringe Studio Hummingbird paper (can't find a photo of the stationery set, but it's in this design)
Posted Image

Triomphe Small Letter Sheets (incoming from Goulet!)
Posted Image

Kate Spade "What's the Skinny?" Cards (by Crane)
Posted Image

Kate Spade "Just Checking In" Cards (by Crane)
Posted Image

On my wish list are these Kate Spade Snail Mail cards!
Posted Image

Brown Dog Paper: Handcrafted Letterpress Posted Image Posted Image

#23 stefanv

stefanv

Casual Collector and Experimenter

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2011 - 15:07

I can't compete with Blade Runner's collection (!!) but here are my stationery shelves. That photo is over a year old and the collection has grown a wee bit since then..

I went from there to your Flickr photo, and notice from the roll-over that your bottom left shelf says "rarely used scores". Music scores? Are any of them hand-written? With a fountain pen?
Stefan Vorkoetter

Visit my collection of fountain pen articles at StefanV.com.

A pen from my collection:
Posted Image

#24 GreenVelvet

GreenVelvet

The Missive Maven

• Member - Gold

• 1,943 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 20:34

I went from there to your Flickr photo, and notice from the roll-over that your bottom left shelf says "rarely used scores". Music scores? Are any of them hand-written? With a fountain pen?

Music scores, yes. Hand-written, no. They're all printed and published by someone else. Back in the day, I would write arrangements by hand, but in pencil! Now I do my arranging on the computer using Sibelius software.

I've moved since that photo was taken, and the stationery collection has grown such that the scores are shelved elsewhere, and the stationery (and mailing supplies) take up the whole darn thing! Guess I should update my photo one of these days when I neaten things up...

#25 GreenVelvet

GreenVelvet

The Missive Maven

• Member - Gold

• 1,943 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 20:36

On my wish list are these Kate Spade Snail Mail cards!
Posted Image

I ADORE these cards! They are really fabulous and take fountain pen ink beautifully. I did a mini-review of them on my blog (sorry, no writing - that's why it's mini!) and I confess I have these stockpiled. I think I've got three boxes right now.

#26 inkspot

inkspot

Audiophile

• Member - Gold

• 1,687 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 23:02

I just added these two letter sets to my collection:

http://www.peterpaup...81593592561.jpg
http://www.peterpaup...81593592523.jpg

The paper is nice and smooth, heavy in weight, and takes ink beautifully!

ETA: Hmmm... for some reason the images won't post properly...

Edited by inkspot, 17 January 2011 - 23:03.

#27 GreenVelvet

GreenVelvet

The Missive Maven

• Member - Gold

• 1,943 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:36

I just added these two letter sets to my collection:

http://www.peterpauper.com/popup_image.php?pID=2900&iID=9781593592561.jpg
http://www.peterpauper.com/popup_image.php?pID=2539&iID=9781593592523.jpg

The paper is nice and smooth, heavy in weight, and takes ink beautifully!

ETA: Hmmm... for some reason the images won't post properly...

Thanks for this info! I have some Peter Pauper cards, and they do very well with fountain pen ink, but I was never willing to take the chance on the letter sheet stationery. I may have to give in to temptation and buy some...

#28 inkspot

inkspot

Audiophile

• Member - Gold

• 1,687 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:38

Thanks for this info! I have some Peter Pauper cards, and they do very well with fountain pen ink, but I was never willing to take the chance on the letter sheet stationery. I may have to give in to temptation and buy some...

There's a letter on its way to you written on Peter Pauper stationery if you want to see it before you buy :)

#29 GreenVelvet

GreenVelvet

The Missive Maven

• Member - Gold

• 1,943 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:44

There's a letter on its way to you written on Peter Pauper stationery if you want to see it before you buy :)

:cloud9:
Color me tickled! Thanks so much, inkspot! I shall look forward to it.

#30 Aricton

Aricton

Semiflexible

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:42

And here I was thinking I was doing pretty well for myself with a half-drawer full of half-used stationery . . .

Wow. Okay, some of you are Positively Amazing.

As for me, I use mostly plain stuff—no prints/borders/monograms—but some of it is kinda interesting in its own right. Yeah, so I have the usual "letter" tablets of Clairfontaine and G. Lallo, but also some Crown Mill vellum and laid tablets, as well as a small box of CM "insert" cards and envelopes (like you'd put into a wedding invitation—if you get the right clerk, Royal Mail will post them with a sigh, but USPS won't touch 'em). There's also my green 4-bar PaperSource envelopes with red notecards (yes, I like non-matching colors) and about two-thirds of a box of Crane foldover cards that no longer have any envelopes of the right size to go with them . . .

Alright. I may see if I can't con some decent letterpressed stationery out of The Family when I get my next sheepskin here in a few months. Y'alls are bad influences.