Pinstriped Yard O Led Grand

dandelion

Let's just say I'm happy with ribbit's old nib. :cloud9:

On a related note, has anyone noticed Diamine ink causes their YoL to sing more than ever? I love my pens' contented humming when I've been using them awhile, but was pleased to find Diamine Umber seemed to increase the phenomenon. :blink:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ribbit

• Ghost Plane

• carlc

• Soot

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's just say I'm happy with ribbit's old nib. :cloud9:

On a related note, has anyone noticed Diamine ink causes their YoL to sing more than ever? I love my pens' contented humming when I've been using them awhile, but was pleased to find Diamine Umber seemed to increase the phenomenon. :blink:

That wouldn't surprise me - Diamine make YoL's own brand ink.

David

Well, I am an EF kinda gal... :embarrassed_smile: But I am going to give it a fair shot. I've never really *used* a B only scribbled a line or two at the MB store. And I want to see how Sailor Yama-dori and Okuyama looks on a big nib. I find I miss a lot of the subtlety of inks using such narrow nibs.

The YOL B nib is glorious but at the risk of upsetting GP - YOL swapped the nib on my pen (last produced in 2003) for a grand total of £30.50 including postage! Amazing service - took three days to do the swap!

The official line when I enquired was " We are fine with changing nibs on used pens, we'll even give it a nice polish."

As I say - amazing service! Great pens too.

Carl

Hmm, the Filofax web CS quoted me $175 plus shipping each way for a nib swap a few weeks ago. Although I think I've been converted to the M side of the Force. And Yama-dori is nice.

Well, I am an EF kinda gal... :embarrassed_smile: But I am going to give it a fair shot. I've never really *used* a B only scribbled a line or two at the MB store. And I want to see how Sailor Yama-dori and Okuyama looks on a big nib. I find I miss a lot of the subtlety of inks using such narrow nibs.

The YOL B nib is glorious but at the risk of upsetting GP - YOL swapped the nib on my pen (last produced in 2003) for a grand total of £30.50 including postage! Amazing service - took three days to do the swap!

The official line when I enquired was " We are fine with changing nibs on used pens, we'll even give it a nice polish."

As I say - amazing service! Great pens too.

Carl

Hmm, the Filofax web CS quoted me $175 plus shipping each way for a nib swap a few weeks ago. Although I think I've been converted to the M side of the Force. And Yama-dori is nice.

Oh that's disappointing - I wonder if that's just the US or whether there's been a change of policy at YOL?

Thinking about it - you're in the US - you have more nib technicians/mesiters available than I can shake a stick at. That would be a cheaper option.

ETA: Just to beat GP to it - if you want to sell.....

Edited by carlc

"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch" Orson Welles

GP and I have all ready (seriously, why is 'already' not a word?) swapped! I hear she's rather charmed by that B although I can barely read the journal entries I made with it. That nib was out of my control.

The Victorian finish is calling me even harder then ever now that I know I'll love the pen it is on. I'd been telling myself that it couldn't write as nice as it looks.

I also asked CS what other finishes have been available in the Viceroy Grand and what the hallmark year key was and the reply was to send me a current catalog. The catalog is nice but didn't answer anything. Bit disappointed. Wonder if snailing YOL would get better results?

Edited by ribbit

GP and I have all ready (seriously, why is 'already' not a word?) swapped! I hear she's rather charmed by that B although I can barely read the journal entries I made with it. That nib was out of my control.

:gaah:

Only joking - I wouldn't get between GP and a broad nib - I couldn't take the pain!

I understand though - broad nibs aren't for everybody - I've just ordered my first ever EF - bet I hate it (but I've got to try just once).

'Already' is a word - the Concise Oxford Dictionary says so (you made me check though).

Carl

:bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: I graduated college six years ago, and all my professors were very against any contractions of all+something (already, alright, etc).

Already is common usage. All right is approved, while alright is not. I know because my editor flogs me regularly. :crybaby:

Yes, the B nib is singing gently to me and seems to like the Diamine Umber I fed it. Love that contemplative hum it makes as it glides over the page.

I tend to use the YoLs as ink testers as they're so well mannered that few inks dare misbehave in them. Now that I see how well Diamine goes down in my pens, I'll add more colors to my repertoire after I use a few gallons out of my kegs. :embarrassed_smile:

Edited by Ghost Plane

The Victorian finish is calling me even harder then ever now that I know I'll love the pen it is on. I'd been telling myself that it couldn't write as nice as it looks.

I also asked CS what other finishes have been available in the Viceroy Grand and what the hallmark year key was and the reply was to send me a current catalog. The catalog is nice but didn't answer anything. Bit disappointed. Wonder if snailing YOL would get better results?

Sorry I didn't see that last bit before - the year should be easy to decipher from the stamps on the pen (it is the single letter and then look here) the assay office note the date mark is no longer compulsory but my YOL (2003) has one and I presume YOL carried on with the date mark.

The Anchor is the mark for the Birmingham assay office.

ETA: I've just had a look at Dandelion's big review of this pen (on her blog) - lots more pictures (including the hallmarks) her pen is dated 1999.

Edited by carlc

And I do use it posted at times, though as you say, it is best and safest not to post the cap, as if the cap falls of it would probably dent.

I'm thinking that a falling YOL Grand cap would dent whatever it landed on.

It's no fragile beast like the cap of a Waterman 452.

gary

And I do use it posted at times, though as you say, it is best and safest not to post the cap, as if the cap falls of it would probably dent.

I'm thinking that a falling YOL Grand cap would dent whatever it landed on.

It's no fragile beast like the cap of a Waterman 452.

gary

I agree. My cap is 20g-I'm more afraid for the floor than the cap!

Carl, thank you so much for the link! Looks like mine is an 02. Oh I love that pen! :cloud9:

• 3 years later...

Agree fully with your review.Have an identical pen which had been purchased via ebay (don't remember for what price!). Very satisfied with this pen. YOL pens are simply fantastic, solid silver, hand made, well balanced pens (in spite of their hefty weight) and a genuine heirloom.

Same for me - picked up one of these with a very smooth M nib that writes more like an F. Well balanced, although some shirts have pockets a bit shallow to clip them into.

Didn't get the box and paraphernalia, but for 300 clams I can't complain.

I much prefer the nib size on the Grand pens - the YOL nibs in general tend to be on the small side compared to the pen body.

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html