treborefir

treborefir

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2010 - 20:00

Thanks for all the memories!
Here's hoping you all have a wonderful holiday and the NEW Market Place is as much fun and as interesting as the old. I'm sure you'll do everything in your power to keep it fresh.

#32 rhosygell

rhosygell

Twpsyn llwyr !

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2010 - 21:12

All the best to the mods / admins at FPN and many thanks for all their hard work
Iechyd da pob Cymro

#33 Silvermink

Silvermink

Texture Junkie

• Admin Tech.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2010 - 21:45

for what its worth, spammers have pretty much figured out how to search/replace "at" with @ and "dot" with "." it isn't hard (you can pretty much do it with a one line perl script)

We're just going to have to be more creative - (Ag) mink at shaw dot see, eh? Just gotta stay ahead of the curve. ;) (Of course, as we've probably all learned from captchas, sometimes you get so far ahead of the curve that you start leaving humans befuddled, too!)

Thanks to the admins and mods for all their hard work, and Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays to the lot of you.

(P.S. No prizes for deciphering that, particularly not if you post the result in the thread!)

Edited by Silvermink, 23 December 2010 - 21:48.

http://twitter.com/silvermink
Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Pilot Elite 95S - M - Pilot Iroshizuku Kiri-same // Parker 21 Super - M - Noodler's Widowmaker // Stipula Modello T FPN LE - Conway Stewart Kingsand // Parker Duofold (Canadian) - F - Diamine Meadow // Delta Via Veneto Doué Elegance - M - Conway Stewart Kingsand

#34 Miranda

Miranda

Miranda

• Member - Remembered fondly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 00:49

Add me to the admin/mod love fest!
Warm Regards, Miranda

#35 krandallkraus

krandallkraus

So Many Pens, So Little Money

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 December 2010 - 07:36

Maybe it's time to charge a buck for every sale or even every "for sale" post and share some of that with the mods of the forum. It seems to me that if you can use the site to make a few bucks, you should not begrudge spending a buck or two for doing it. Giveaways would be gratis, of course.
Phone calls last just minutes, emails get deleted, but letters live forever.

#36 Painterspal

Painterspal

Addicted to urushi

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:28

I'm sure I for one have no idea how much hard work goes on behind the scenes to keep FPN afloat. So here's a hearty thank you to all those fab people who have kept my favourite place on the internet going!

One question about the new arrangements: Sellers often lower the price if they don't find a buyer after a day or two - any ideas on how we'll continue to achieve that? How long can you edit the original post for?

Thanks and a very happy Christmas to all.
D A N i T R i O f e l l o w s h i p

#37 wimg

wimg

Stip Etruria nut :)

• Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,736 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 December 2010 - 21:50

Regarding the questions re the market place: posts can still eb edited for up to 24 hours after posting, and with regard to the other options, I can only say we are looking into those. We do have a temporary solution at the ready, but are looking for more permanent solutions too, although the latter will likely take some time to test, select, and implement.

Having that out of the way, I would like to say thank you to all of you for the complimentary words and support offered, and for the warm and fuzzy feelings.

Warm regards, Wim
on behalf of the entire moderator and admin team

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

#38 Lizzard

Lizzard

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2010 - 03:00

Thank you and enjoy your well earned respite. We will all be waiting with baited breath for your safe return.
With best wishes and warmth,
Liz
Don't let someone who gave up on their dreams talk you out of yours.
- Unknown -

#39 FrozenPen

FrozenPen

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2010 - 17:36

I often learn something in the replies to postings as descriptions are clarified and expanded.

If the ban on replies is simply to reduce content quantity and the corresponding admin work then I'd be willing to volunteer time to monitor the marketplace to allow the replies to continue.

Heck, I'll volunteer some time ban or no ban.

#40 jniforat

jniforat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 17:51

there's another convo going in "Community Feedback" -- i, too, volunteer my services if need be.

#41 WilliamLEJA

WilliamLEJA

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2010 - 03:04

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas & happy holidays in general.

A big hand to our mods for keeping this a nice community.

That said; I am worried about what will come of the marketplace. I will echo a the concern of talkinghead reference the whole "communicate to the masses" issue when an item sells. Glad to hear the mods are aware of that potential snag. I am also concerned if a seller chooses to offer a price reduction or something to sweeten a sale post how will that be conveyed? A 24 hour edit rule would certainly make price reductions difficult. Heck; when the prices start falling I start buying.

All that said I do understand that mods are humans too and have lives outside of cyber space and deserve some free time.

Take care everyone,

William

#42 Gerry

Gerry

Lake Louise

• Admin

• 5,147 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2010 - 20:25

William, you've had a 24 hour limit on post editiing for quite a while now (in Internet terms, almost forever... LOL).

WRT the Marketplace, the post OP is free to add another post advertising the new price or that it is sold, as he has been able to do since the edit restriction was put in place (over a year ago IIRC).

People have always wanted us to make it easier to edit - which also removes any trace of the original asking price BTW, but our restriction on editing has a it's beginnings in another act, by a previous member in deleting all of his posts over a period of time. This left holes in threads, and left others in tatters. In order to prevent that sort of vandalism, editing has been turned off for the whole site in a consistent manner. Twenty four hours to clean up typos etc. then it's part of the record.

Hope that clears up the history of that particular restriction.

Regards,

Gerry

#43 Russ

Russ

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 21:15

I noticed an increase of sale posts on Pentrance after FPN's temporary closure of its For Sale forum. I used to peruse the FS forum daily (alright, quite often daily!) and missed it at first. However, I am beginning to wonder if shifting sales to Pentrace might be in the best long-term interest of FPN. Our mods and admins are bright, courteous, and incredibly dedicated. Were we to lose them through burnout, the atmosphere and quality of FPN would, I think, decline to our collective disappointment. I believe that listening to our mods and admins request a workload reduction by at least limiting sales is in the forum's best interest. As usual, the devil is in the details of limitation.

Just my $.02.

#44 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Premium - Ruby

• 6,246 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 00:43

If you are going to cut off old items at 30 days, presumably you will be deleting older stuff and saving server storage space, reducing maintenance workload of that and saving money. Most organizations have a limit on historical data available online. Maintaining that old data does impose a significant work load.
"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

#45 Pen Nut

Pen Nut

"You open one safe door and another one closes"

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• 5,402 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:03

isnt Tuesday the 28th ?? :mellow:

My heart says English, my head says Japanese, my hand holds German (pens, cars or beer ?)

" I spend 95% of my income on pens..........the rest I just waste " 

#46 wimg

wimg

• Admin

• 18,736 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:27

isnt Tuesday the 28th ?? :mellow:

Yes, we'll fix the typo :D.

Warm regards, WIm

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

#47 wimg

wimg

• Admin

• 18,736 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:32

If you are going to cut off old items at 30 days, presumably you will be deleting older stuff and saving server storage space, reducing maintenance workload of that and saving money. Most organizations have a limit on historical data available online. Maintaining that old data does impose a significant work load.

Hi Paul,

The real workload is in moderating the board, not so much historical data maintenance - actually, the latter requires very little in workload, other than back-ups. The 30 day cut-off for older posts in the market place forums is really meant to prevent revival of topics by newbies, and of random posts by spammers.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#48 Fuddlestack

Fuddlestack

My head is naturally lumpy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2010 - 14:30

Thanks for all your work, all you mods and rockers administrators. Have a good New Year break and a prosperous 2011.

The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; the pessimist fears this is true. (Cabell)

#49 Professor Zlatko

Professor Zlatko

Pelikanman

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2010 - 18:30

Hello people, and course happy holidays to everyone... Does anybody know witch model of fountain pen is this???

[img]http://http://www.limundo.com/kupovina/Kolekcionarstvo/Ostalo/naliv-pera/1958376[/img]

best regards