Lately, the amount of work required to keep the Classifieds and Market Watch Section, aka the market place, running smoothly and according to the market place rules, has become such a huge effort that we need to take a bit of a breather. We are all volunteers here, and the amount of work involved to manage these forums has now become a burden too heavy on all the people involved – it is rapidly becoming a full job. If it paid well that wouldn't be a problem, but unfortunately we cannot survive purely on the gratefulness from people who appreciate what we do – we all still have our day jobs. Do note that since its inception the Classifieds and Market Watch Section only has been an additional service to the real intention of this board, namely discussion of all things writing instrument and their paraphernalia, with emphasis on fountain pens and inks. Therefore, we feel it is necessary to take a few measures, at least temporarily, namely:
1 ) The Classifieds and Market Watch Section will be closed for the period from Friday, December 24, around 07:00 hrs GMT (02:00 hrs EST) until and including Tuesday, December 28. We do need a break, and our families deserve to see us a bit more as well .
2) From Wednesday, December 22, it will be possible to only post a new topic in the market place. This means that no replies will be possible to what now essentially become advertisements only. This is meant as a temporary measure, for a period of a few weeks to start with, unless we like it so much that it becomes the new standard. In the mean time we are looking for other solutions for the market place.
3) Revival of topics in the market place forums older than a month will no longer be possible. This is meant as a counter-spam measure.
4) Members who post in the Classifieds and Market Watch Section are requested to clearly state the email address at which they may be contacted for the item(s) offered or wanted, whether in counter-spam format or otherwise. Using the PM system was never recommend to contact sellers or buyers, and as we found out recently, PM-ing a member is not a guarantee that a request will arrive at its destination, unfortunately.
5) Please do consolidate your posts - it actually makes for more sales anyway, to buyers who wouldn't be reached otherwise. A person looking for a certain pen may well be seduced by another if there are more pens of different brands and varieties in a single topic, after all. Do note that there now is an automated mechanism in place to prevent more than three posts a day in each of the market place forums. If you do have problems with posting many pictures, i.e., more than the board software allows for uploading, please do contact us through the Members Helping Members or Pictures & Pen Photography forums. We'll gladly assist you with the 'how to" of creating the possibilities to use more pictures.
6) Please do read and adhere to the market place rules, make sure you know them and are aware of them. Also read the FPN rules and guidelines you have signed up for when registering here, please. We don't want to annoy people, but we do expect all members with posting rights in the market place forums to follow the rules. Any posts that do not adhere to these rules will have to be removed, sadly enough. All of this again in order to keep the workload manageable.
7) The bump feature will be removed temporarily as well in order to prevent the drowning of topics started by occasional sellers. This means that in conjunction with point 2 and 3, advertisements will be current for one month only, and will stay in the position where they are as posted originally.
As a reminder, although this is stated in the market place rules, only Gold Members, i.e., those members who joined prior to January 23, 2010, and members who joined thereafter with more than 30 (i.e., from 31 and upwards) relevant posts and who are members for more than 30 days (i.e, 31 days and upwards), can actually start new topics (new adverts) in the market place forums.
Finally, we all would like to wish you and yours a marvelous and enjoyable festive season, and a great New Year!
The FPN Moderator and Admin Team
Edited by wimg, 28 December 2010 - 10:33.