#1 Admin

Admin

The FPN Admin Team

• Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 18:30

Dearest members of the Fountain Pen Network,

Lately, the amount of work required to keep the Classifieds and Market Watch Section, aka the market place, running smoothly and according to the market place rules, has become such a huge effort that we need to take a bit of a breather. We are all volunteers here, and the amount of work involved to manage these forums has now become a burden too heavy on all the people involved – it is rapidly becoming a full job. If it paid well that wouldn't be a problem, but unfortunately we cannot survive purely on the gratefulness from people who appreciate what we do – we all still have our day jobs. Do note that since its inception the Classifieds and Market Watch Section only has been an additional service to the real intention of this board, namely discussion of all things writing instrument and their paraphernalia, with emphasis on fountain pens and inks. Therefore, we feel it is necessary to take a few measures, at least temporarily, namely:

1 ) The Classifieds and Market Watch Section will be closed for the period from Friday, December 24, around 07:00 hrs GMT (02:00 hrs EST) until and including Tuesday, December 28. We do need a break, and our families deserve to see us a bit more as well :D.

2) From Wednesday, December 22, it will be possible to only post a new topic in the market place. This means that no replies will be possible to what now essentially become advertisements only. This is meant as a temporary measure, for a period of a few weeks to start with, unless we like it so much that it becomes the new standard. :D In the mean time we are looking for other solutions for the market place.

3) Revival of topics in the market place forums older than a month will no longer be possible. This is meant as a counter-spam measure.

4) Members who post in the Classifieds and Market Watch Section are requested to clearly state the email address at which they may be contacted for the item(s) offered or wanted, whether in counter-spam format or otherwise. Using the PM system was never recommend to contact sellers or buyers, and as we found out recently, PM-ing a member is not a guarantee that a request will arrive at its destination, unfortunately.

5) Please do consolidate your posts - it actually makes for more sales anyway, to buyers who wouldn't be reached otherwise. A person looking for a certain pen may well be seduced by another if there are more pens of different brands and varieties in a single topic, after all. Do note that there now is an automated mechanism in place to prevent more than three posts a day in each of the market place forums. If you do have problems with posting many pictures, i.e., more than the board software allows for uploading, please do contact us through the Members Helping Members or Pictures & Pen Photography forums. We'll gladly assist you with the 'how to" of creating the possibilities to use more pictures.

6) Please do read and adhere to the market place rules, make sure you know them and are aware of them. Also read the FPN rules and guidelines you have signed up for when registering here, please. We don't want to annoy people, but we do expect all members with posting rights in the market place forums to follow the rules. Any posts that do not adhere to these rules will have to be removed, sadly enough. All of this again in order to keep the workload manageable.

7) The bump feature will be removed temporarily as well in order to prevent the drowning of topics started by occasional sellers. This means that in conjunction with point 2 and 3, advertisements will be current for one month only, and will stay in the position where they are as posted originally.

As a reminder, although this is stated in the market place rules, only Gold Members, i.e., those members who joined prior to January 23, 2010, and members who joined thereafter with more than 30 (i.e., from 31 and upwards) relevant posts and who are members for more than 30 days (i.e, 31 days and upwards), can actually start new topics (new adverts) in the market place forums.

Finally, we all would like to wish you and yours a marvelous and enjoyable festive season, and a great New Year!

Warm regards,
The FPN Moderator and Admin Team

Edited by wimg, 28 December 2010 - 10:33.
wrong date

This account is unmanaged.
Please direct questions and comments to FPN Admin email, or directly to admin Wim (wimg).

Thank you very much in advance.

Warm regards,
The FPN Admin Team

#2 jde

jde

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 17:40

Bravo!

Happy Holidays to all of you who keep FPN running so smoothly!

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August
...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

#3 redbike

redbike

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2010 - 17:47

My best wishes to the FPN Administrators and Moderators for a wonderful, and relaxing, holiday season. Thank you for all you do to make this a wonderful place.

jim

#4 Doug1426

Doug1426

Bopa

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2010 - 17:56

Wow, what I shock. I had no idea the moderators were organic life forms, with lives of their own. I just assumed with all that they did and had to do, that they were automatons, robots or other mechanized machines.

I join Julie and others in thanking you for all that you do, and hope you can truly enjoy the holidays.
"History Teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives." Abba Eban

#5 Clancy

Clancy

- Toasted Head -

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 17:56

Thanks FPN admin team for all the diligence and hard work over the years. Happy holidays!

Edited by Clancy, 22 December 2010 - 17:57.

"Intolerance betrays want of faith in one's cause." - Gandhi -

postcardde9.png

#6 dizzypen

dizzypen

Swimming in a sea of Noodler's Navy!

• Moderators

• 3,980 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2010 - 18:09

:thumbup:
Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

#7 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,511 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 18:15

While I like these new rules, I wish I knew of the changes prior to today; I would have added my email to my current sales post.

luckily, it may be sold as of this morning.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

#8 dnb

dnb

A-dippeded

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • Location:Halfway between where they claim the sun rises and from whence it really rises. Well, for us, anyway... (OK, Honolulu)
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2010 - 18:35

Happy Holidays the all of our FPN Admin and Mod teams! Thank you all for EVERYTHING you do to keep us happy, satisfied and fulfilled! Enjoy your time off! You deserve it!
Mele Kalikimaka and Hauoli Makahiki Hou!
Aloha,
David
PS Will you be "pinning" this thread?

Edited by dnb, 22 December 2010 - 18:35.

What else do we have in life if not to help each other?

#9 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

24 Heures du Mans and Oblique Addict

• Member - Gold

• 3,525 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2010 - 19:06

Many thanks and compliments of the Season to all the mods and admins here - you do a great job - enjoy the festive break. :)

#10 UkeDan

UkeDan

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2010 - 19:16

A very Merry Christmas and best Holiday wishes to all the mods and admins and thanks for doing such a good job and a valuable service to pen lovers worldwide. :notworthy1:

#11 blopplop

blopplop

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,140 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 19:35

Good job Mod's. Have a blessed weekend. :)

Dave
2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
http://www.the-highw..._questions.html

Posted Image

#12 pb2

pb2

pb2

• Member - Gold

• 2,195 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2010 - 20:39

Many thanks, blessings and kudos for your most excellent and wonderful service. You are very much appreciated and please be encouraged to know that you provide a very generous and valuable service to me and so many of us who look forward to sharing another great year in 2011.

A 21 thumb salute to you all!!!!! Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Pendleton alias pb2
pendletonspens.com

~ May the Lord smile on you ~

#13 tknechtel

tknechtel

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 998 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 20:53

I hope these new rules do give you hard-worked people some relief! We are all so grateful for this site - many thanks!
Tom

#14 elpaninaro

elpaninaro

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 22:58

Love the site and appreciate all the effort mods!

If it is ever helpful- this exact same situation arose on a wine forum where I once was a regular poster. Happy to share the changes that brought about improvement (one of the biggest ones was one you have already done- single posts only and no ability to have conversation threads in the sales forum.)

Happy Holidays!

#15 jniforat

jniforat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,776 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 23:29

great job, admin team! i love the new rules.

one point i'm curious about: is the new market place going to be more like pentrace, where all the topics are static so you have to scroll down to see the sales, thus no being able to put a post (bump, but that button is away for the time being) back on top after a day or two?

either way, thank you for taking our suggestions seriously to make fpn a place that is discussion first, sales second, and not the other way around :D

#16 talkinghead

talkinghead

Füllhaltersammler

• Member - Gold

• 1,696 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:10

Thanks for all the work that you do admins!!!!

Happy Holidays and a Very Happy New Year!

Rick

Edit:
Did just think of something with the new rules....how does a seller communicate to the masses that the particular item(s) have sold, if we can't post in the original topic? Would hate to have to reply to every email once the item is sold. Could there be some automated response from the mod/admins, that we as sellers could communicate to a mod/admin that the item is sold and then they could mark the item(s) sold or some how communicate that in the topic/thread?

Thanks..

Edited by talkinghead, 23 December 2010 - 01:16.

MY-stair-shtook eyn-HOON-dairt noyn und FEART-seeg (Meisterstuck #149)
"the last pen I bought is the next to the last pen I will ever buy.."---jar
WTB: Sheaffer OS Balance with FLEX nibs
Posted Image
Porkopolis Penners Blog

#17 Russ

Russ

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,793 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:13

Thank you, administrators and moderators, for ALL that you do! Take a well-deserved rest!

#18 wimg

wimg

Stip Etruria nut :)

• Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,736 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:27

Thanks for all the work that you do admins!!!!

Happy Holidays and a Very Happy New Year!

Rick

Edit:
Did just think of something with the new rules....how does a seller communicate to the masses that the particular item(s) have sold, if we can't post in the original topic? Would hate to have to reply to every email once the item is sold. Could there be some automated response from the mod/admins, that we as sellers could communicate to a mod/admin that the item is sold and then they could mark the item(s) sold or some how communicate that in the topic/thread?

Thanks..

We are still thinking about this one, and may come up with a solution soon....

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

#19 Readymade

Readymade

.. the (ink) stains become a warning...

• Member - Gold

• 1,670 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2010 - 02:03

Thank you for all the hard work you put into making FPN great :) Hope you all have a well-deserved rest.
Singapore Fountain Pen Lovers - Facebook; Pens in SG FAQ

#20 Apotheosis

Apotheosis

A Gathering Of All

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:03

u guys should just take the whole festive week off up til the new year.
happy holidays by the way to everyone !

rgds
Leo
Posted Image
"Oey !! Gimme back my pen !"

#21 YesIamnotiamnit

YesIamnotiamnit

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:43

RE:

4) Members who post in the Classifieds and Market Watch Section are requested to clearly state the email address at which they may be contacted for the item(s) offered or wanted, whether in counter-spam format or otherwise.

If by this you mean something along the lines of: skippy at skippy dot net, webcrawlers read this as skippy@skippy.net. The same with

skippy
at
skippy
dot
net

There's no such thing as "counter-spam" format. Five years ago that was effective on simpler crawlers but not these days. It's true that PMs don't always get through but neither do e-mails and at least it's a much better way to avoid spammers than post your e-mail on a public forum that can be read by literally anyone on the planet with access to a computer.

I am grateful that the marketplace posts will be limited to that without all the nonproductive posts. I would like to see made permanent as well as no bumping although the OP should have a way to mark an item as sold. I am sure the change in marketplace will free up a lot of our time. As a former mod on 3 other forums and currently in a "chamber" to make sure sure dealers are not using the 'amateur" classified on another I can appreciate the time and effort involved. Enjoy your holiday break.

He who says he knows but does not act does not yet know.
  ~ Wang Yangming

When I grow up I want to be just like Calvin.

~ Me

#22 lwang14

lwang14

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:48

Thank you for all the hard works, FPN is the best :thumbup:
Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year :cloud9:

Edited by lwang14, 23 December 2010 - 05:48.

#23 Susanna

Susanna

il meglio del Made in Italy

• Premium - Ruby

• 957 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2010 - 07:14

Thank you, Mods; you do a great work.

Merry Christmas!
Susanna
----------
Giardino Italiano, il meglio del Made in Italy - www.giardino.it - www.pens.it
Download Giardino's APP for iPad

My Facebook page
My Blog

#24 drgoretex

drgoretex

zookeeper of teenagers

• Premium - Ruby

• 1,359 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:29

I'll add a big thanks to the mods as well. :thumbup: :thumbup:

hope the changes make the marketplace more manageable.

Ken

#25 gregkoos

gregkoos

gregkoos

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2010 - 13:06

Hi all,

I think you can convert your e-mail address into a digital image. This would be as simple as writing it out - with your fountain pen - and posting that image.

Greg

RE:

4) Members who post in the Classifieds and Market Watch Section are requested to clearly state the email address at which they may be contacted for the item(s) offered or wanted, whether in counter-spam format or otherwise.

If by this you mean something along the lines of: skippy at skippy dot net, webcrawlers read this as skippy@skippy.net. The same with

skippy
at
skippy
dot
net

There's no such thing as "counter-spam" format. Five years ago that was effective on simpler crawlers but not these days. It's true that PMs don't always get through but neither do e-mails and at least it's a much better way to avoid spammers than post your e-mail on a public forum that can be read by literally anyone on the planet with access to a computer.

I am grateful that the marketplace posts will be limited to that without all the nonproductive posts. I would like to see made permanent as well as no bumping although the OP should have a way to mark an item as sold. I am sure the change in marketplace will free up a lot of our time. As a former mod on 3 other forums and currently in a "chamber" to make sure sure dealers are not using the 'amateur" classified on another I can appreciate the time and effort involved. Enjoy your holiday break.

Greg Koos
Bloomington Illinois
USA
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this shrunken globe, men can no longer live as strangers.
Adlai E. Stevenson

#26 fuchsiaprincess

fuchsiaprincess

Museum Piece

• Moderators

• 5,882 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 14:19

Hi all,

I think you can convert your e-mail address into a digital image. This would be as simple as writing it out - with your fountain pen - and posting that image.

Greg

RE:

skippy
at
skippy
dot
net

That is a superb suggestion :thumbup:

Edited by fuchsiaprincess, 29 December 2010 - 11:32.

Posted Image Posted Image

#27 elpaninaro

elpaninaro

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 17:43

Edit:

On the wine forum I referenced earlier, posters would either delete the original post or edit the title to say "sold". As for dealing with other inquiries- people quickly adjusted to the fact it was a posted ad only and if they did not get a reply after a day or two it was best to check the forum and see if the wine listing had been removed or marked sold. Not perfect, but even back when you could do full discussion threads in the wine for sale area, it was not uncommon for seller's to ignore posts or messages once a deal was done.

#28 Maja

Maja

Fan of colourful pens

• Admin Hon.

• 6,302 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2010 - 18:11

Many thanks to the FPN Admin team and Moderators for all their hard work throughout the year! :clap1: :thumbup:

As an ex-Admin here on FPN, I know how much effort the job took way back then....let alone now, when the site is so popular :)

Vancouver (B.C) Pen Club (our website)

#29 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,661 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 19:00

Adding my thanks to the admin/mod love pile-on!

Also, I confess, I'm selfishly relieved not to be tempted by the marketplace for a few days.... (I mean, I've been able to withstand many temptations recently, but it's nice to relax, not have to brace myself...).
I ink; therefore, I am
Fleekair <--French accent.

#30 markc

markc

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 925 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2010 - 19:11

RE:

skippy
at
skippy
dot
net

for what its worth, spammers have pretty much figured out how to search/replace "at" with @ and "dot" with "." it isn't hard (you can pretty much do it with a one line perl script)

The digital image is a good idea and not hard to do.. The problem is that the board software doesn't allow uploads. I'd hate to have some random image hosting company decide to delete images after a period of time and have broken images on the forum.

I will also like to pile onto the love fest and thank the admins/mods for their tireless efforts in keeping this nut farm in semi order!

Happy Holidays!

MarkC
Science is a way of skeptically interrogating the universe with a fine understanding of human fallibility.
-Carl Sagan
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image