Dearest Friends and Visitors of the Fountain Pen Network,
We have started implementing the changes we promised here: Upcoming Changes To FPN
Please do read the linked message above.

Photo

Indian Fountain Pens

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 vikasruparelia

vikasruparelia

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2010 - 20:20

Hello Friends,

I am Vikas here and I am interested in making a list of "FOUNTAIN PEN MANUFACTURERS" in India.

Incase anyone is aware of the WELLKNOWN BRANDS of FOUNTAIN PENS which are made in India, then please suggest and I shall do the remaining search as to its manufacturer / source / main retailer etc.

I would liek to focus on EBONITE / CELLULOID / CRYSTAL /ACRYLIC / STEEL / GOLD / SILVER / HANDCRAFTED WOOD ETC

The names that I am already aware of are:-

1. RATNAM
2. WALITY
3. AIRMAIL
4. VARUNA
5. GUIDER
6. SWARNAS
7. PRASAD
8. LEADER
9. ADVOCATE
10. BRAHMAM

Please do assist me in adding as many names as possible. Also incase you have the address / state / store where you get these from then also let me know.

I further plan to meet all the manufacturers personally and then collate their writeups, their complete sets, their plans and share in this network.

This would include extensive travelling at my end, thus I have earmarked the year 2011 as the year of THE FOUNTAIN PENS and i am confident that it shall be worth it.

I have targetted to come up with a WHOLESOME LIST at the earliest so that i can plan my travels accordingly. (needless to state that i shall be sharing my memoirs and experience though this network)

Eagerly awaiting response from one and all.

Thanks and Warm Regards,

Vikas
vikas@righthr.in
Thanks and Warm Regards,

Vikas Ruparelia
YOU DON'T CHOOSE THE PEN, THE PEN CHOOSES YOU . . . . .

#2 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2010 - 20:22

Somebody already did this...

http://www.fountainp...ames-brand-etc/

fpn_1405136194__fpn_1404594699__sg_tag.j sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#3 vikasruparelia

vikasruparelia

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2010 - 20:37

Somebody already did this...

http://www.fountainp...ames-brand-etc/

Thanks for your REVERT. Very foolish of me to have missed this.

However i feel that a COMPLETE COMILED DATA IS NOT AVAILABLE YET. In India we have over 22 states and the companies highlighted herein are only from 5 odd states, thus i am sure there are many gems around which we must have missed.

Thanks once again for your inputs.

Edited by vikasruparelia, 18 December 2010 - 20:47.

Thanks and Warm Regards,

Vikas Ruparelia
YOU DON'T CHOOSE THE PEN, THE PEN CHOOSES YOU . . . . .

#4 brahmam

brahmam

A cosmic wanderer!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 March 2011 - 13:20

How is your "Grand Trail of Indian Pens" going?
Oh! my dear, dear Free-will!
Tell me really, "Will I ever be free?"
Allow me until my body becomes still,
To sacrifice as a still standing tree!
- Just another tumble weed!

#5 kareth

kareth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 16:42

Bril (Chennai / Bangalore)

Bismi (Kerala). i doubt whether they still manufacture. During 80's and beginning of 90's, it was the biggest seller among school children.

i believe Kores also had

#6 Penquin

Penquin

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:23

Good old Bril :-)

Camlin, Chelpark, Flair...

#7 sajiskumar

sajiskumar

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2011 - 17:08

There are some other brands like Oliver & Scholar. Some years back the famous Rotomac and Reynolds had their versions of fountain pens.

#8 manojd

manojd

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2011 - 18:33

Add one more
Kale pens (Pune)

#9 Sagar_C

Sagar_C

Animalia Chordata Mammalia Primates Hominidae Homo S. Sapiens

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2011 - 11:45

http://www.montexpen...=Fountain Pen#2

#10 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 12,089 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2011 - 11:50

http://www.montexpen.com/products-description.aspx?type=Fountain%20Pen#2

They are using high class tipping materials, good, must look for the pens.

http://heraeus-writi...ct_alloye3.aspx

#11 Sagar_C

Sagar_C

• Member - Gold

• 1,049 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2011 - 12:00

Luxor makes some "parkers" in India.

#12 Kaweco

Kaweco

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 13:30

Luxor makes some "parkers" in India.

Hi Sagar
The Luxor story is a little bit more complicated. Originally LUXOR was a trade mark from a firm producing typewriter ribbons and other stationary articels in Heidelberg/ Germany. The fountain pen producer Heinrich Hebborn, who had founted his firm in 1925 purchased the LUXOR trademark, possibly in the early 1930th when he moved from Cologne/ Germany to Heidelberg/ Germany. His old trademark is unknown. They produced fountain pens and propelling pencils, later ballpoint pens, felttips and other modern writing equipment.Actually the old Celluloid fountainpens from the 30th look a little bit similar to the Parkers. Heinrich Hebborn sold his firm to the Parker branch in 31 of May 1969. They had been producing writing articles under the name LUXOR- PEN Heidelberg until closing of the works in 1976. Since Middle of 1976 all Patents had been given to the Parker development center in Baden- Baden/ Germany.
Some years ago I visited the "paperworld", one of the greatest pen and paper shows in the world in Frankfurt/ Germany. I was very surprised seeing the name and the original LUXOR emblems, now from a producer from New Delhi, at one of the stands. I took a visiting card and began to talk to the general manager about the origin of the LUXOR emblems. His answer was nothing but: "It would be very very good for you to leave this stand immediately".
PS Luxor New Delhi dates its foundation to 1963.
Thomas :glare: :glare: :glare:

Edited by Kaweco, 14 August 2011 - 13:32.

#13 Sagar_C

Sagar_C

• Member - Gold

• 1,049 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2011 - 13:52

How do you know so much! :notworthy1: Thanks for sharing.

His answer was nothing but: "It would be very very good for you to leave this stand immediately".

This is really sad. May be Hari would be able to throw some more light on it.

#14 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 12,089 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2011 - 14:00

His answer was nothing but: "It would be very very good for you to leave this stand immediately".

This is really sad. May be Hari would be able to throw some more light on it.

I have no idea about the origins of the Luxor company in India other than what is on their website. If they have done some trademark infringement, I think the company claiming to hold the trademarks should ligitate.

#15 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 12,089 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2011 - 14:02

BTW Kaweco, if possible, do post some pictures of the logos from the Original German Luxor pen company, it will be interesting. Thanks! Hari

#16 Kaweco

Kaweco

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 19:33

......... If they have done some trademark infringement, I think the company claiming to hold the trademarks should ligitate.

Hello Hari
It is not illegal to take a foreign logo or name when the holder does not exist any more. When the owner does not refresh his claim, he will lose it.
Kind Regards
Thomas

#17 ashishwakhlu

ashishwakhlu

Vintage

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:40

Just to add a few pen companies about Lucknow

Kaushala
Anupam Bhartiya
Medico
Kingson

none of these continue with fountain pens today though.

regards

Ashish

#18 pbhat

pbhat

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 13:24

Recently on my visit to my home town Calicut (Kozhikode) in Kerala, India I went to a very old pen shop where I used to buy pens during school going days. Surprised to find that the pens shop is still in business has other pen shops have vanished along with many other places we frequently visit during our college days.
The name of the Pen shop is Kim & Company. On drooling around what they are stocking currently which is mostly various types of ballpoints (which I was not interested) I came across a good collection of ebonites FP's. Intrigued I asked about them and they said they make it themselves in their work shop. They have the blacks, striated (or marbled) browns and greens and even a big black jumbo sized one without a clip. They said they have decent sales of these pens mostly purchased by writers and teachers. The pen looked simple with good workmanship and they are all eye droppers and the pens have no name. I bought only one piece, a black one which looks a lot like the Advocate not being sure about the quality and this little issue I have about eye droppers as I have not purchased any once the filling system types were available in the market. Once inked after reaching home the pen started writing without even a single hitch and writes a smooth line between medium and fine with good flow with write amount of wetness and balance. On daily use for the last 2 weeks it has not skipped even once and is probably one of the best writer among my small collection of pens. I wish to bring to notice this point that there may be more such Kim & Company's who are making excellent pens in our country which we are not aware off.

My great regret at this moment is that I bought only one piece and this feeling was enhanced when my FP user colleagues started saying that I should have bought one for them (my next visit is probably at least one year away but I have one more reason to visit Calicut). I also bought a bottle of an excellent Chelpark Crimson Violet ink also from them.

Sorry! I was not able to post images of the pen stored in my PC, can anybody guide me.
pbhat

#19 padams2359

padams2359

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2011 - 14:25

If you don't mind me asking, what was the price of the pen? They sound interesting. Maybe Google will give some details.
1 Homo Sapien BA Maxi, 2 Van Goghs 1 Blue Ocean Midi S Nib/1 Cappuccino Midi 14k Trim, 2 MBs 144/221, 2 Wm Phileas 1 Blue w/ mech pencil, 1 Demo, 1 Snorkel Sent., 3 MVs Regatta/Invincia/Artista,2 EB J - BSP,I am Not Affiliated with any website, company or product I might mention on this site."

#20 Hex

Hex

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2011 - 15:04

I have a friend who is making a trip to India soon and I would like to ask him to pick me up a pen.
What would you recommend for a superb, newly manufactured FP ?
Say < $50.00

thanks
Hex, aka George

#21 Pepin

Pepin

Institutionalized

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 August 2011 - 03:10

which among the brands listed is considered the BEST?
A man's real possession is his memory. In nothing else is he rich, in nothing else is he poor.

#22 82Greg

82Greg

Most Unexalted

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 03:48

I'm thinking of getting the Deccan 1000. Anyone knows who carries it?

#23 pbhat

pbhat

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:37

Hi! I will try this way of attaching photos. I think it has worked! The first photo shows the comparison with the Lamy Vista and Camlin SD pen (another great Indian made pen. The price of the ebonite is hold your breath Indian rupees equivalent about 3$ and sold to me in no frill way packed in a brown paper cover without box or papers. I don't think they will have website and don't know whether they sell online. The Camlin SD pen is also equally good which comes with box, Converter and papers for about 13$.
pbhatBlack Ebonite.jpg

Recently on my visit to my home town Calicut (Kozhikode) in Kerala, India I went to a very old pen shop where I used to buy pens during school going days. Surprised to find that the pens shop is still in business has other pen shops have vanished along with many other places we frequently visit during our college days.
The name of the Pen shop is Kim & Company. On drooling around what they are stocking currently which is mostly various types of ballpoints (which I was not interested) I came across a good collection of ebonites FP's. Intrigued I asked about them and they said they make it themselves in their work shop. They have the blacks, striated (or marbled) browns and greens and even a big black jumbo sized one without a clip. They said they have decent sales of these pens mostly purchased by writers and teachers. The pen looked simple with good workmanship and they are all eye droppers and the pens have no name. I bought only one piece, a black one which looks a lot like the Advocate not being sure about the quality and this little issue I have about eye droppers as I have not purchased any once the filling system types were available in the market. Once inked after reaching home the pen started writing without even a single hitch and writes a smooth line between medium and fine with good flow with write amount of wetness and balance. On daily use for the last 2 weeks it has not skipped even once and is probably one of the best writer among my small collection of pens. I wish to bring to notice this point that there may be more such Kim & Company's who are making excellent pens in our country which we are not aware off.

My great regret at this moment is that I bought only one piece and this feeling was enhanced when my FP user colleagues started saying that I should have bought one for them (my next visit is probably at least one year away but I have one more reason to visit Calicut). I also bought a bottle of an excellent Chelpark Crimson Violet ink also from them.

Sorry! I was not able to post images of the pen stored in my PC, can anybody guide me.
pbhat

Attached Images

• Vista Ebonite Camlin.jpg
  • GP nib.jpg
  • Ebonite uncapped.jpg

#24 akrishna59

akrishna59

Dr. Verghese Kurien - Father of the White Revolution in India.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2011 - 09:55

that is a good looking pen. somehow eyedroppers dont fit me.

for our friends here, indian pens are durable and usually write well, they just dont have the marketing hype that western pens have. i have owned quite a few indian and western fps and somehow i still reach for an indian fp most of the time. camlin is by favourite brand among indian fps and i have owned almost all theri models and do mail them whenever they bring out some new changes in the market.

rgds.

krishna.
ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

#25 brahmam

brahmam

A cosmic wanderer!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:49

Hi!

I am a Chennai living Brahmam. Can you give me the contact details of Kim & Company, especially their phone number? Perhaps, I could post them a cheque and ask them to send me a couple of their pens.

Thanks and regards,

Chennai Living Brahmam

Hi! I will try this way of attaching photos. I think it has worked! The first photo shows the comparison with the Lamy Vista and Camlin SD pen (another great Indian made pen. The price of the ebonite is hold your breath Indian rupees equivalent about 3$ and sold to me in no frill way packed in a brown paper cover without box or papers. I don't think they will have website and don't know whether they sell online. The Camlin SD pen is also equally good which comes with box, Converter and papers for about 13$.
pbhatBlack Ebonite.jpg

pbhat

#26 brahmam

brahmam

A cosmic wanderer!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:05

Just spoke to Dr. B. Rafi of Kim & Company, Calicut. They do sell handmade pens. I am planning to send a cheque to them and get the pens by courier. Dr. Rafi is a walking Pencylopedia. He is very soft spoken and gave a detailed account of their handmade pens. Each pen is individually crafted and Dr. Rafi takes pride of the fact that no two pens are alike. Each is a signature of its own, with its own personality. I believe that, he, like Dr. Lakshmana Rao of Guider pens is one of the few living legends in the art of penmanship.

Dr. B. Rafi, PhD
Chief Penologist & Calligraphic Specialist
Kim & Company
Court Road
Kozhikode (Calicut), Kerala 673 001

Tel.: (0495) 2721143
Mobile: 0 94472 29456

Regards,
Brahmam

#27 brahmam

brahmam

A cosmic wanderer!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:17

Oh! Oh! Oh! Thy name is Dr. Rafi,

The great penman of our time

Hailing from Calicut

His nibs are of the finest cut

He takes a piece of ebonite

Works hard late at night

He cleans them, he bores them

He rifles them and polishes

He taps them and threads them

Sure the writer doesn't dread them

He fixes the feeder along with the nib

The feeders ink drool is controlled

By the nib, like a child's bib.

Oh! Oh! Oh! Dear Dr. Rafi.

He clips the cover

The pen looks like a tower

He adjusts the nib

With care - as a baby in the crib

His customers do not get a chance to crib!

Oh! Oh! Oh! Dear Dr. Rafi

Each pen for him is an art

Each and every single part

He handles them carefully

Puts them together

Once assembled he inks them

With the finest Chelpark or Bril

Else at least with Camlin with a thrill

Oh! Oh! Oh! Dear Dr. Rafi,

He places the nib on the paper
And starts to write with a taper
His pens might not be light
Gentle he is doesn't hold tight
Wow! How well his pens write
No scratch and no fight
Doesn't require any might!
Oh! Oh! Oh! Everytime Dr. Rafi is right.

Just spoke to Dr. B. Rafi of Kim & Company, Calicut. They do sell handmade pens. I am planning to send a cheque to them and get the pens by courier. Dr. Rafi is a walking Pencylopedia. He is very soft spoken and gave a detailed account of their handmade pens. Each pen is individually crafted and Dr. Rafi takes pride of the fact that no two pens are alike. Each is a signature of its own, with its own personality. I believe that, he, like Dr. Lakshmana Rao of Guider pens is one of the few living legends in the art of penmanship.

Dr. B. Rafi, PhD
Chief Penologist & Calligraphic Specialist
Kim & Company
Court Road
Kozhikode (Calicut), Kerala 673 001

Tel.: (0495) 2721143
Mobile: 0 94472 29456

Regards,
Brahmam

#28 akrishna59

akrishna59

Dr. Verghese Kurien - Father of the White Revolution in India.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:36

that is fine pen poetry, sir.

the next time i land in calicut, i am going after this shop.

rgds.

krishna.
ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

#29 sajiskumar

sajiskumar

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2011 - 14:18

Thanks pbhat and Chennai living Brahmam, for the information. I talked to Mr. Rafi and now planning to buy some pens from him.
BTW, Brahmam , could you please tell me whether Chelpark pens are available at Chennai.
thanks,
-saji

#30 brahmam

brahmam

A cosmic wanderer!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2011 - 14:55

Dear Saji:

Unfortunately, despite my best efforts, I am not able to trace a single Chelpark Pen in Chennai. Shall let you know if I could land on one.

Cheers!
"Chennai Living" Brahmam

BTW, Saji, did you like my poem?

Thanks pbhat and Chennai living Brahmam, for the information. I talked to Mr. Rafi and now planning to buy some pens from him.
BTW, Brahmam , could you please tell me whether Chelpark pens are available at Chennai.
thanks,
-saji