44 replies to this topic

#21 Mox

Mox

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:23

Bob, that was very nice of you to take time to write such a long post. Very helpful.

#22 krokens

krokens

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2010 - 13:23

Great job. :thumbup: Very interesting. Thanks for your time and sharing. Merry Christmas

#23 Sunburst

Sunburst

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 16:07

That's a great reference material on shipping. :thumbup:

#24 Ulsterman

Ulsterman

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 16:20

Not only great advice, but having been on the receiving end of several of Bob's Pilot 78G pens, I was as heartened by the packaging detail as I was in the line variation of the double B stub nib. Safe shipping and a pen that is full of pleasant surprises, which goes to show that the real value is at the business end, where the nib meets the paper, all else is floss.

#25 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,903 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2010 - 16:50

+1 on Italy having lousy post. My 149 took a week to travel 40 miles (according to the postal tracker) (but it probably sat somewhere waiting to be scanned) and then sat in Milan for almost 3 weeks before it left for the US. Once here it took 2 days to get to me from around the NYC area.

Edited by watch_art, 23 December 2010 - 16:50.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#26 minnman

minnman

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:04

One of the best posts I've read on here in my five or six years hanging about. Nothing beats practical advice from someone speaking from experience. I've bought a half-dozen pens or so over the years from Speerbob from when he was back in Thailand and never had anything but great experiences. I for whatever reason have lots of 1" pvc laying about and have used it to ship quite a few pens over the years and it is unbeatable. Put a kleenex in each end and a strip of scotch tape around it all and it'll survive a nuclear war.

#27 minnman

minnman

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:07

And, regarding the us postal system, I sign ten things a day and put them in the mail and receive that same volume. Never anything lost. In 20 years, I really believe the US post office has only 'lost' two or three pieces of my professional correspondence. The only time I hear about US mail problems within the usa is when I am asking an ebay seller what became of my package.

#28 jniforat

jniforat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 02:21

this needs to be pinned. i'm gonna ship monday, and wanted to seehow speerbob would do it.

#29 oneill

oneill

RETIRED MAGISTRATE

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:37

Great advice as could be expected from one as wise as BOB, I hope this policy is adopted by the forum as being standar practice, I find too often sellers take advantage of buyers by insisting that they ship to the buyer with all of the trimmings at the buyers expense of course, in many cases the cost of the pen does not warant such a procedure, lots of us are quite prepared to wait until the pen arrives we dont want it sent by lear jet. I have had many instances where the seller has insisted on me paying for priority mail and the pen has still taken in excess of two weeks to reach me and I might point out that is during the normal postal year not holiday periods.I have never been overcharged by Bob for shipping to Australia and I have always received the pens I bought from him in good time. Thanks for taking the time to share with the forum your experiences and all the best for 2011 Bob. regards. Bryan Australia

#30 jniforat

jniforat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,776 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 21:14

you say singapore is low risk, but shipinsurance.com does not cover singapore

#31 jniforat

jniforat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,776 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 21:31

i'm going to try u-pic.com and i'll let everyone know how that works :)

they were VERY helpful over the phone.

Edited by jniforat, 27 December 2010 - 21:56.

#32 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,903 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2010 - 23:06

maybe singapore is SO low risk that it would be a waste of money to insure.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#33 jniforat

jniforat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,776 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 23:26

maybe singapore is SO low risk that it would be a waste of money to insure.

ha ha that's what i'm hoping :) , but i got insurance just in caseeee

#34 Wyre

Wyre

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:01

Just bought a pen from you this morning... Didnt realize that you were the same person as on ebay.com!

My userID on ebay is wyredawolf.

Thanks!

Fast, Cheap, Good... you  can choose two. 

#35 Gojira

Gojira

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:14

This is a truly fantastic post, thanks Speerbob! It's really helpful for those of us who live overseas too.

#36 dnb

dnb

A-dippeded

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • Location:Halfway between where they claim the sun rises and from whence it really rises. Well, for us, anyway... (OK, Honolulu)
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:23

Now, THAT's an education! Thanks!
What else do we have in life if not to help each other?

#37 mathguy

mathguy

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2010 - 13:34

Terrific information-this one gets printed out for reference. It's really interesting to find out the subtle differences in mail classes. Thanks!

#38 jniforat

jniforat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,776 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 15:46

since it seems that this won't be pinned, i, too, will print this out for reference.

#39 speerbob

speerbob

Speerbob

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 16:57

you say singapore is low risk, but shipinsurance.com does not cover singapore

Hi, I noticed that too. One issue with Singapore is their Customs is slow and sometimes packages sit very long, but they get there. I'm not sure how shipinsurance picks the countries they insure to because oddly they insure to high risk Russia where I have lost packages but not to Brazil where I ship several packages a week and have never lost one. It might be more than just risk but also their ability to track packages or something. Cheers, BOB
Check out my website at www.Speerbob.com

Posted Image

#40 ximhot

ximhot

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 17:45

Thanks for sharing your experience.

To add my observation, I think you are pretty lucky with USPS. The mail delivery correction rate in Metro Chicago area is only 91% in 2009, meaning 9 out of 100 mails delivered to the area got lost, mis-delivered, or unable to be delivered. The snow situation could have made Chicago particularly difficult. I think by simply purchasing mail delivery confirmation is better than buying extra insurance without delivery confirmation. People's terrible handwriting could have contributed to the problem, too.

Edited by ximhot, 30 December 2010 - 17:47.

[Sponsored Content]