44 replies to this topic

#31 jniforat

jniforat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 21:31

i'm going to try u-pic.com and i'll let everyone know how that works :)

they were VERY helpful over the phone.

Edited by jniforat, 27 December 2010 - 21:56.

#32 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,279 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2010 - 23:06

maybe singapore is SO low risk that it would be a waste of money to insure.

fpn_1405136194__fpn_1404594699__sg_tag.j sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#33 jniforat

jniforat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,776 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 23:26

maybe singapore is SO low risk that it would be a waste of money to insure.

ha ha that's what i'm hoping :) , but i got insurance just in caseeee

#34 Wyre

Wyre

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:01

Just bought a pen from you this morning... Didnt realize that you were the same person as on ebay.com!

My userID on ebay is wyredawolf.

Thanks!

Fast, Cheap, Good... you  can choose two. 

#35 Gojira

Gojira

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:14

This is a truly fantastic post, thanks Speerbob! It's really helpful for those of us who live overseas too.

#36 dnb

dnb

A-dippeded

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • Location:Halfway between where they claim the sun rises and from whence it really rises. Well, for us, anyway... (OK, Honolulu)
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:23

Now, THAT's an education! Thanks!
What else do we have in life if not to help each other?

#37 mathguy

mathguy

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2010 - 13:34

Terrific information-this one gets printed out for reference. It's really interesting to find out the subtle differences in mail classes. Thanks!

#38 jniforat

jniforat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,776 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 15:46

since it seems that this won't be pinned, i, too, will print this out for reference.

#39 speerbob

speerbob

Speerbob

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 16:57

you say singapore is low risk, but shipinsurance.com does not cover singapore

Hi, I noticed that too. One issue with Singapore is their Customs is slow and sometimes packages sit very long, but they get there. I'm not sure how shipinsurance picks the countries they insure to because oddly they insure to high risk Russia where I have lost packages but not to Brazil where I ship several packages a week and have never lost one. It might be more than just risk but also their ability to track packages or something. Cheers, BOB
Check out my website at www.Speerbob.com

Posted Image

#40 ximhot

ximhot

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 17:45

Thanks for sharing your experience.

To add my observation, I think you are pretty lucky with USPS. The mail delivery correction rate in Metro Chicago area is only 91% in 2009, meaning 9 out of 100 mails delivered to the area got lost, mis-delivered, or unable to be delivered. The snow situation could have made Chicago particularly difficult. I think by simply purchasing mail delivery confirmation is better than buying extra insurance without delivery confirmation. People's terrible handwriting could have contributed to the problem, too.

Edited by ximhot, 30 December 2010 - 17:47.

#41 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,818 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 18:00

Great info. Almost every package I send with USPS gets there in a couple of days. However, I sent a package to Bearcat, in-state a couple of hundred miles away, on 12/15/10, and USPS still doesn't know where it is, so stuff does happen. We were cross-shipping pens, and I got his in 2 days. Well, there is always Murphy. I am glad I insured that package.
"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

#42 Warriah

Warriah

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 23:44

As an Italian I'm ashamed that the (private) postal service works well under developed countries standards. I have to say that the big problem is the slow ckecking for incoming/outcoming packages from/to countries outside EU vastly due to inefficient fees application.. Other than this problem, shipment is usually affordable..only a bit slower. :(
Posted Image

#43 amb

amb

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 19:50

The mail delivery correction rate in Metro Chicago area is only 91% in 2009, meaning 9 out of 100 mails delivered to the area got lost, mis-delivered, or unable to be delivered.

I'd be curious to know the breakdown of that; lost and mis-delivered mail sounds like a USPS problem, but "unable to be delivered" mail is likely the fault of the sender.

When I was in an apartment building with a lot of turnover (mostly students), there was a huge amount of mail showing up for people no longer in residence, and I wonder how that sort of thing (and incorrect addressing in general) contributes to the statistics. I don't think the post office has ever lost something of mine that was clearly and correctly addressed, though some have suffered strange delays.

Any way you slice it, though, 91% sounds really bad!

#44 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,279 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2011 - 20:01

I get mail to my house all the time addressed to past residents. Each time I write "no longer lives here. return to sender" but I keep getting their mail. Not just junk mail either. The state sends paperwork all the time that some poor people aren't getting. I guess they just don't care if they send things out to the correct address. If so then it takes them YEARS to correct their databases.

fpn_1405136194__fpn_1404594699__sg_tag.j sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#45 Tommy

Tommy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 13:25

Thanks for a very informative post, Bob.  I've started selling some pens abroad, and this info is just what I needed.  It's been a few years since this thread was active.   I'm curious if your list of high risk countries to ship to has changed since then.

Tom