#1 sentraser165

sentraser165

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2010 - 13:25

I was one of the pen junkies who made sure to be at the computer at noon yesterday to pick up a flex pen from goulet (among other things that I probably shouldn't have bought, but did anyway). I've never really written with a flex nib before, so I am kind of excited about this! Does anyone know how these things write?

Edited to add: by "these things", I meant the noodler's pens specifically.

Edited by sentraser165, 09 December 2010 - 13:28.

Currently Inked:
Pelikan M800 - Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo
Lamy Safari - Private Reserve Avocado
Waterman Phileas - Noodlers Zhivago
Reform 1745 - Noodlers Baystate Blue

#2 pamsc

pamsc

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 13:33

There have been earlier batches of them and at least one review written here if you search. I found I didn't like how hard I had to press with the earlier ones.

#3 Senate1123

Senate1123

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 13:52

I'm one of those junkies too! Can't wait to try it out. I've played around with dip nibs for a while and now I also have a Falcon, so I've played with flex nibs before. I read the reviews that the noodlers flex nibs are a bit tough but still excited to get one in my hands.

:thumbup: for Goulet Pens!

Edited by Senate1123, 09 December 2010 - 13:53.

Posted Image

#4 dizzypen

dizzypen

Swimming in a sea of Noodler's Navy!

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,980 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2010 - 15:52

I got one from the first batch that went to Todd at isellpens.com.

They have a nice bit of flex, but you've really got to try for it. Here's a sample. I think I've posted this before:

Posted Image

They are smooth writing little pens. Definitely a good buy for the money. I can't wait to try Black Swan with it.
Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

#5 bassopotamus

bassopotamus

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 23:18

I ordered one from isellpens a couple days ago. Seems like 14 bucks worth trying out, but my gut feeling Is that my handwriting is too bad for flex.
Posted Image

#6 iiixvix

iiixvix

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 00:26

I bought a couple to try out. I have some pens I bought from Peyton Street Pens (these ones http://www.peytonstr...Fountain/Detail ) that write very well and have a bit of flex and I really really enjoy them. I'm hoping the Noodler's flex pens flex a little easier and/or a little broader than those. I am ridiculously excited for my Noodler's pens to arrive.

#7 GouletPens

GouletPens

Write On!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,722 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:30

I'm really eager to hear what everyone thinks of the Noodler's flex nibs. I (of course!) immediately inked one up myself when they first came in, and I thought it was actually quite easy to flex. I don't know what the first batch was like, but the one I was using flexed quite easily. I will be the first to day that flex nibs will absolutely show the worst your handwriting has to offer, so it takes a bit of practice :rolleyes:

I plan to post a little something about the pens once I get myself collected. Things have been understandably nuts around here the last few days :blink:
Brian Goulet
www.GouletPens.com
GouletPens on Twitter
Ink Nouveau blog

Co-Creator (along with my wife!):
Posted Image

#8 UkeDan

UkeDan

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2010 - 02:18

I'm waiting for one to pop into my mailbox. First attempt at flex (when I get it) and I'll post my "results" too.

#9 dizzypen

dizzypen

Swimming in a sea of Noodler's Navy!

• Moderators

• 3,980 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2010 - 02:47

I'm really eager to hear what everyone thinks of the Noodler's flex nibs. I (of course!) immediately inked one up myself when they first came in, and I thought it was actually quite easy to flex. I don't know what the first batch was like, but the one I was using flexed quite easily. I will be the first to day that flex nibs will absolutely show the worst your handwriting has to offer, so it takes a bit of practice :rolleyes:

I plan to post a little something about the pens once I get myself collected. Things have been understandably nuts around here the last few days :blink:

After using it for over a month now I can say that it is easier to flex than it was for that sample.

I don't know if he changed the nibs at all, but they look identical from the pictures: ventless, slightly longer tines, Noodler's Ink Co straddling the nib slit...

I've been practicing in a Clairfontaine Seyes staplebound notebook. My flexing is getting better, but I'm many many many moons away having a decent hand.

I can't wait until I get that bottle of Black Swan I ordered from you. That ought to be fun out of the flexy creaper!

Edited by dizzypen, 10 December 2010 - 02:48.

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

#10 weapon

weapon

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:39

My Noodler's flexible nib should be here tomorrow or Saturday. I bought a Noodler's Stylographic rollerball a couple weeks ago and I like it (even if it is a rollerball) as I can load it with Legal Lapis and Bad Belted Kingfisher. It is good for forms with attached carbons. If I could change anything about it the line would be a bit thicker.

Pen junkie? Nope - I only ordered 5 or so this week. :) I got a TWSBI Diamond 530 medium nib in the mail today - if you do not have one, add it to your list.

#11 Yoda4561

Yoda4561

Foxfire

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:02

Definitely excited. All my pens at the moment are steel nails, so I was actually encouraged by the reports of the firmness of these flex pens. Basically that they wouldn't be too easy to "overflex" accidentally and I could use them as a regular writing instrument unless I wanted to get fancy with it. I also orderd a few ink samplers (sorry Brian!) including a couple inks that I noticed had no reviews in the Ink Review index, so should be a fun couple weeks for me.

Edited by Yoda4561, 10 December 2010 - 04:03.

#12 Stephany

Stephany

The road less travelled....

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2010 - 05:09

My Noodler's flexible nib should be here tomorrow or Saturday. I bought a Noodler's Stylographic rollerball a couple weeks ago and I like it (even if it is a rollerball) as I can load it with Legal Lapis and Bad Belted Kingfisher. It is good for forms with attached carbons. If I could change anything about it the line would be a bit thicker.

Pen junkie? Nope - I only ordered 5 or so this week. :) I got a TWSBI Diamond 530 medium nib in the mail today - if you do not have one, add it to your list.

On my list; just trying to decide between a F and a M nib.... so difficult not being able to try one first!

#13 Gobblecup

Gobblecup

Autodidactic

• Member - Gold

• 1,766 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 05:15

I was at the computer at 10:30am Central time and I had made my order by 11:04am even with a computer crash. This is my first fountain pen that will have any flex, and also my first demonstrator. So I would say I am pretty excited to get it, and I already have Black Swan! :P Its wonderful FYI! ;)

I think that Nathan may have taken feedback on the first small batch and made minor improvements, either way there are few pens to be had at $14.00, much less flexible piston fillers!
Gobblecup ~

#14 79spitfire

79spitfire

No the car is NOT painted with Bay State Blue..

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,266 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2010 - 05:46

Mine should be here any day now! I also bought a bottle of Black Swan. I'm hoping for a difference between this and the earlier pen based on the Dollar brand demo. I got the "December 25" version, if nothing else the pen will look wicked cool in the collection!!

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!Neko_animated.gif
Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

#15 SamCapote

SamCapote

Got Warm Milk?

• Member - Gold

• 4,158 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:11

I did a review of all the Noodler's pens, and you should be prepared to adjust the nib, either removing and rotating it so it is not pushed up against the plastic stop inside, or in some cases to pull it out just a touch. Doing this, you will find a "sweet spot" in terms of having optimal flow, and minimize the "railroad tracks" from tine separation with flexing. Also, write slower and do the flexing only on the downstroke.
With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

#16 Mr.Wote

Mr.Wote

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:02

I'm pretty excited about it, but I dislike demonstrators and the red/green sets my teeth on edge. I'm waiting to get a nice blue or orange one, and re-learn how to write.

#17 aspendigger

aspendigger

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 22:44

I'm pretty excited about it, but I dislike demonstrators and the red/green sets my teeth on edge. I'm waiting to get a nice blue or orange one, and re-learn how to write.

I didn't want the pen in clear, and I had a similar concern for the red/green being to Christmas-y for using other times of the year.
My pen (realizing YMMV) is a nice deep, year-round red with very minimal swirling.
Enough to know its not solid red, but not so green that you wonder why its January and I'm still writing with my Christmas pen.

Consider as I'm sure you have that you can dress it up further by your color choice of ink for the windows on the piston-fill body.
Outside of looks, I really enjoyed the flex of the pen.
I know others have indicated earlier versions were stiffer than they would have liked - cannot speak to that as I never tried those but the one I purchased this week has more than exceeded my expectations in line variation and ease of use. It is a firm flex, rather than soft or bouncy or springy if that distinction makes sense...

Happy Festivus.

Edited by aspendigger, 11 December 2010 - 22:46.

#18 Yoda4561

Yoda4561

Foxfire

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 22:59

I didn't want the pen in clear, and I had a similar concern for the red/green being to Christmas-y for using other times of the year.
My pen (realizing YMMV) is a nice deep, year-round red with very minimal swirling.
Enough to know its not solid red, but not so green that you wonder why its January and I'm still writing with my Christmas pen.

Consider as I'm sure you have that you can dress it up further by your color choice of ink for the windows on the piston-fill body.
Outside of looks, I really enjoyed the flex of the pen.
I know others have indicated earlier versions were stiffer than they would have liked - cannot speak to that as I never tried those but the one I purchased this week has more than exceeded my expectations in line variation and ease of use. It is a firm flex, rather than soft or bouncy or springy if that distinction makes sense...

Happy Festivus.

Yes, it's a little firm but has some great range, mine goes from an XF to 1.3-1.5mm before I feel uncomfortable. That said it seems my normal writing style isn't very "flex friendly" as it were, slow and deliberate are real necessities if you want to get nice looking letters with variation. On the bright side mine also works great if I ignore the flex aspect and just use it like a regular xf pen, it's the finest nib I own right now and would work great for note taking or crossword puzzles.

#19 shaylenwilliams

shaylenwilliams

Aparecium

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 23:32

These are my very first doodles, I got my "flexy" in the mail today!!! Please bear in mind that I HAVE NO IDEA what I am doing. I just wanted this pen to play around with and have fun!
Posted Image
"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss
The Poor Connoisseurs

#20 Gobblecup

Gobblecup

Autodidactic

• Member - Gold

• 1,766 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 00:31

Just got the pen this evening and its been all fun since! I am very impressed at how much line variation you can get from these pens. It is, as another noted, a bit on the firmer side of flex. But not in that its difficult to flex, more in that it wont flop around like a noodle as soon as it hits the page.

My only problem with this new pen is that I only got one! Now my family is trying to pry it off me... Its my pen darnit!

Edited by Gobblecup, 12 December 2010 - 00:32.

Gobblecup ~

#21 shaylenwilliams

shaylenwilliams

Aparecium

• Member - Gold

• 1,133 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 00:47

Just got the pen this evening and its been all fun since! I am very impressed at how much line variation you can get from these pens. It is, as another noted, a bit on the firmer side of flex. But not in that its difficult to flex, more in that it wont flop around like a noodle as soon as it hits the page.

My only problem with this new pen is that I only got one! Now my family is trying to pry it off me... Its my pen darnit!

I think it is a good amount of flex for beginners. I'm quite happy with mine, especially for $14.
"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss
The Poor Connoisseurs

#22 CarolinaWriter

CarolinaWriter

#amwriting

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2010 - 01:29

:crybaby: Still waiting for mine...
Connie

I blog...
HouseWife with a Day Job

#23 sentraser165

sentraser165

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2010 - 02:08

I also got mine today. I used it with Black Swan...OMG. The amount of shading is absolutely preposterous. This is actually the first time I have used a flex pen, so it is going to take getting used to. The amount of pressure you have to put forth is perfect for me. For 14 bucks, what a solid deal!
Currently Inked:
Pelikan M800 - Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo
Lamy Safari - Private Reserve Avocado
Waterman Phileas - Noodlers Zhivago
Reform 1745 - Noodlers Baystate Blue

#24 Yoda4561

Yoda4561

Foxfire

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 02:12

I have a sample of black swan and some other inks, but I'm not going to dive into those until I get somewhat competent with the pen. Here's some watered down kung te cheng and #41 brown (way watered down :headsmack: ). While the handwriting is atrocious I think it's representative of the amount of width variation the pens are capable of.

Wide Ruled Ampad Recycled legal pad. Noodler's Clear Demonstrator Flex nib.

Posted Image

#25 79spitfire

79spitfire

No the car is NOT painted with Bay State Blue..

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,266 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2010 - 02:32

:crybaby: Still waiting for mine...

Me too! Can we cry together? :crybaby:

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!Neko_animated.gif
Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

#26 shaylenwilliams

shaylenwilliams

Aparecium

• Member - Gold

• 1,133 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:54

I also got mine today. I used it with Black Swan...OMG. The amount of shading is absolutely preposterous. This is actually the first time I have used a flex pen, so it is going to take getting used to. The amount of pressure you have to put forth is perfect for me. For 14 bucks, what a solid deal!

Couldn't agree more! I am excited to get some other inks loaded up into this too. Since it is so wet, ooh... 1670? Will I get all my gold?! Or the red sheen in PR Ebony Blue and Electric DC Blue? The latter would be pretty hard to clean from it I suspect. Wait, am I not supposed to talk about putting non-Noodler's in it? Oops! I will so buy a few more of these pens when the opportunity arises.
The Poor Connoisseurs

#27 Senate1123

Senate1123

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 07:35

Got my Noodler's Flex Pen today but didn't get a chance to ink it up until now. I have it filled with Noodler's Black Swan Ink, just cause it seemed the right combo.

So my assessment of the flex is that it is pretty good. It does require a good amount of pressure but that's not always a bad thing. I'd prefer the nib to be a little bit finer in unflexed position but I can deal. I do find that I'm not getting a huge about of shading with the Black Swan Ink. This pen writes rather wet for me and most of the time I just get a rather dark purple/black pool of letters. However, if I exert a lot of pressure to get a very broad thickness, the shading is beautiful.

Overall, I like this pen. For $14, I can't really fault this pen much. My Mottishawed Falcon is a lot nicer in terms of line variation and flex feel, but it is also ~20 times the cost. Kudos to Noodler's for a wonderful pen. My only suggestions are a finer point and possibly put this flex nib on the Nib Creaper Pen. I find the construction of that pen to be much more to my liking.
Posted Image

#28 arz

arz

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 16:20

My only suggestions are a finer point and possibly put this flex nib on the Nib Creaper Pen. I find the construction of that pen to be much more to my liking.

I couldn't agree more, Senate1123! I got both the Dec 25 and demonstrator flex nibs, expecting the quality of the nib creaper demonstrator and have to admit I find the flex bodies feel and look cheaper in comparison. The plastic on my creaper is glossy, while the flex pen has a lot of visible imperfections and smells :sick: (I have found this with the 2 wality pens I've got, also). I guess that this is due to the ebonite feed?

I need to write more with the flex pen, since it's the writing experience that matters most. However, I am so impressed with the nib creaper (and I also lucked out at there being no leaking of ink below the piston), that it's hard not to be a bit disappointed with the flex pens when I compare them specifically with the creaper.

#29 yourmanpann

yourmanpann

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 16:58

I didn't think I was a flex nib kinda guy, but for $14 I had to give it a try. Pen (clear demo) arrived yesterday along with a sample of Noodler's Nikita (Goulet's choice, not mine). I filled both the Noodler's pen and another recent acquisition (also a clear demo), a Monteverde Artista, with Nikita.

I was right, I'm not a flex nib kinda guy. I got the Noodler's pen to flex, but with what seemed to me to be an awful lot of pressure. Seems to be a very wet flow. When I compared the page (Clairefontaine 90gsm) on which I had written with both pens, I had show through with the Noodler's (especially when flexed) but none with the Artista.

This morning after reading this thread I pulled out both pens, which had been stored capped and nib up in one of my pen glasses overnight, and the Artista started right up. The Noodler's pen is clogged.

I paid a bit more than twice the price of the Noodler's for the Artista, and it was well worth it. I don't miss the flex.

My Noodler's flex pen is likely to show up in the For Sale forum soon.

Obviously, YMMV.
Pilot 78G, B->CI, Pilot Green cartridge
Sailor 1911M, H-M, Sailor Jentle Oku-Yama
TWSBI Diamond 530, M, Pilot Iroshizuku Yama-Budo
Parker "51" Vacumatic, 14K F, Sailor Jentle Yama-Dori
Pelikan M201, Binderized F, Noodler's Green Marine (sample)

#30 lefty928

lefty928

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,081 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 00:46

The demonstrator and red and green pens from Goulet Pens were waiting for me when I got home last night -- I was pleasantly surprised at the speedy fulfillment, and also impressed with the ample packaging. I couldn't help filling the red and green version despite the late hour (the demonstrator has a ring of deep cross-hatched scratch marks around the barrel where the cap meets it, so the plastic doesn't seem that tough -- I wanted to inspect it in daylight before filling, as my eyes aren't too good in artificial light anymore, except there wasn't any today!) and I must have lucked out, as the nib is quite flexible. I write with very little pressure and if I'm in "normal" mode, the line is quite quite fine, an EF on a Rhodia Pad. It doesn't require much effort for even me to achieve substantial flex with this nib, however, and I'm one who hesitates to put much pressure on fountain pen nibs.

(Because of the nib construction, btw, the fine line I get with my usual writing pressure is a dry, pale one. But the downstrokes, with added pressure, are nicely wet.)

I was surprised at how narrow, light, and small the pen is -- not one I'd choose for a marathon writing session, but fine for notes and such. O.K., it feels a mite flimsy. Hey, it's a $14 pen with a flexible nib. $14! And it filled quite smoothly. The red and green mottling is more attractive than one would think and the accompanying jam-packed info sheet lists some really intriguing color options in the works (ivory DARKNESS? lapis inferno?) with the promise that more will come. I'm interested to see how the breather hole in the cap affects things.

I don't know if the marring on the demonstrator's barrel appears on all of them or just the one I happened to get, so it might be good to either go for a color or to ask for a hand inspection before a demonstrator is sent (see above, $14, for a flex pen) if you are concerned about the finish.
Posted Image