Pelikan M640 Polar Lights

Joshua J.

Those pictures blown me away, so close and so well captured! Brilliant! Of course, the review is great too. Any chance on writing samples? :)

Sorry, not right now. My penmanship is still at a grade-school level, it'll be another month or so before I'm willing to put pictures of it on the internet.

Getting a nice pen was my incentive to actually work on writing skills instead of just doing everything on the computer.

Filling out forms in PDF is great, but is not always an option.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Joshua J.

• JonDoh

• pelman

• irbyls

Thanks for the amazing photo's. That is one pen I've always liked the look off. I think however, it may be a bit too small for my taste. I'm more of an M800 guy. Nonetheless, it is a beautiful pen and you have captured it in a way I've never seen before - thanks.

Be interesting to get close up shots like that of ink when you post some writing shots.

Fountain pens aren't a collection, it's an insatiable obsession!

Shotokan Karate: Respect, Etiquette, Discipline, Perseverance

Those are some insanely good photos. Really appreciate the detail on the nib shots showing the level of finishing on the edges of the tines. Work on any nib long enough and you really begin to appreciate how hard it is to work on these things.

Thank you

I second the majority opinion: great photography!

You also succeeded in conveying the beauty and attractiveness of the pen in your writing. I, for one, am looking forward to you getting a third pen and posting a review thereof here.

Respectfully disagreeing since 1978.

Ooh, I see the Polar Lights has a nice box too. I've got a Sahara, from the same series, and it's got this really striking bright-orange woven box with a sort of burlappy inner lining. Very evocative.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

That's some serious and impressive macro work. Helpful review, too.

I've seen a couple other Pel reviews that have complained about their EF nibs. I wonder if that's just bad luck, or a QC problem.

The factory EF on my M805 seems to work o.k. - that is, it writes at most angles, doesn't skip, etc. - but it just doesn't feel right. It has a weird toothiness, and not like the lovable Aurora toothiness. I've looked at it under a 10x loupe, but I didn't see anything unusual. Hmmm. . .

Current line-up: Pelikan M805 (EF), Aurora 88 (F), Parker Duofold (F), Delta Titanio (F)

• 1 year later...

Hello Joshua J.,

Thanks for this great review with excellent photography. Your review made me look into the Pelikan M640, M800 and M1000. I like the design of your Polar Light, but I prefer the size of the M1000. I wish Pelikan would make a M1000 in Polar Light design.

The M1000 Radens are very nice too, but IMO not worth the MRP. The Polar Light is definately worth the MRP.

With love,

goldenkrishna

Ik tik

• 1 year later...

This was the first really high spec fountain pen I ever purchased. I had a couple older and less expensive but very functional Pelikans which I'd had for quite a while but I wanted to experience something a little further up the line. I absolutely loved it, no need to say how good it looked, your photo's make that clear, and it wrote like a dream, I realized that there are some benefits associated with 'fancy' pens. But as I used it I realized I didn't care for the bulge, it made the pen slightly uncomfortable to use for extended writing periods. I was conflicted but eventually sold it here on FPN. Your pictures help me have a better understanding of the molecular structure of the materials though.

• 1 month later...

I love mine, but then again, I've never met a Pelikan that I didn't love :)

It's not what you look at, but what you see when you look.

Henry David Thoreau

Never seen so impressive pictures and so much zoomed (close ups)... :notworthy1:

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

Sensational Macro shots!

Nice Pen, Im trying to decide if I like the "bulge" or not.

It's not that big and really adds an element of style to the pen. Unfortunately, they are no longer in production and you'll probably have to pick one up on the used market.

It's not what you look at, but what you see when you look.

Henry David Thoreau

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Fantastic photos and awesome review! This has helped me lean towards getting a special edition Pelikan rather than just the standard Soverän line. I have an M215, M600, and M800 and will add a SE640 soon. Thanks!

b