8 replies to this topic

#1 Geester

Geester

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:27

Hi everyone, I've just replaced the sac in an old Parker Victory button filler only, how do I get the sac back into the body of the pen as well as the pressure bar? sad.gif

I imagine that you take the button out, reinstall the sac then put in the pressure bar from the back and reseat the button, but how do I get the button off??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 london

london

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:41

Is it a little brass button? Like one of the attached?

- Mark

Attached Images

• afbutton.jpg

Edited by london, 13 October 2006 - 11:02.

#3 Geester

Geester

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 15:15

Hi Mark, Yes it is like the first picture marked AF, though it appears to be aluminium not brass.

#4 Richard

Richard

WWII Warbird Fan

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,389 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2006 - 15:49

Before you try to put the barrel on, use a straightened piece of coat hanger wire to drive the button out from the inside of the barrel. It will resist, but it will come if you push firmly enough. As an alternative, if you have a tool for removing Vacumatic fillers, the threading of the metal collar is the same as on the Vac, and you can remove the entire button assembly (two pieces).

Assemble the barrel to the section, then slip the pressure bar down the side until it stops firmly, being careful not to catch (and push on) the end of the sac. Then you can reinstall the button. Do be careful to insert the pressure bar right-side in/out. Here is a cross-section of a button filler, showing the correct orientation of the pressure bar:

Click to send email: richard@richardspens.com
Posted Image

#5 london

london

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 16:03

Yep, sorry it is aluminium. AF = aluminium filler

I have never repaired one of these, only the one on the right.

I am led to believe however, that the same process is required. That is, remove the section as you have done and replace the sack. Take the button off. Slide the sac and section back into the pen (after applying a little talc). Then reinsert the press bar from the top. Replace button.

In this instance, the AF unit, needs to be removed differently from the brass type (hence your question!). As I say I cannot speak from experience, I have read that the whole button assembly unscrews similar to say a vacumatic filler (a threaded clamp is placed over the screw thread to unscrew it). Sorry I can't provide any further advice at this stage. Hopefully someone else should be along here soon.

- Mark

#6 Geester

Geester

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 23:41

Thanks guys biggrin.gif

Richard, are you sure that you can just pop the button out? I know that you can do this with the brass button fillers but is it also applicable to the aluminium button fillers?

I've seen plenty of brass replacement buttons (which leads me to wonder if this is a semi-disposable item unsure.gif ) but none for the aluminium ones and I don't want to kill my pen with rash action :doh:

#7 Geester

Geester

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 02:42

It worked roflmho.gif

Richard was absolutely correct it just popped right out, thank you so much. It is now writing beautifully.

#8 london

london

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 12:47

Cool!

#9 mike1

mike1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 17:30

It never ceases to amaze me at the generosity of those who repair pens professionally in sharing their knowledge with those of us attempting to repair our own pens by ourselves. I guess when we mess it up we know to whom to send the parts.
"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." Satchel Paige, Baseball Hall of Fame Pitcher