Black Swan In Australian Roses

jgrasty

I have a brass dip pen whose point slides into the body of the pen and then reverses for writing. The Black Swan ink wrote purty as can be and I was getting better at showing the special effects and then...

the top part of the pen dropped into the bottle of ink.

I conjured up some patience and used my long tweezers to remove the 1.5-inch nib assembly. I can't wait till I can use a Noodler's flex.

Edited by Aunt Jill

Let there be light. Then let there be a cat, a cocktail, and a good book.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jgrasty

• Ghost Plane

• CatBookMom

• JonSzanto

whoa nelly.. just filled my Lamy joy convertor - popped in the nib and it's a scene from "The Blob"s! the Swan is Fllooowwwing lol

however.. Black Swan in my Wahl rt semi-flex looks promising.

I have a bag full of cheesy MI postcards, where Are They!

Yikes, the ink and the penmanship are both achingly beautiful. I love the magenta-to-plum range and had been experimenting with ToasterPastry's method of blending Aurora Black with R&K reds and pinks for shading, so Black Swan has my name on it...

I have one question before I order Black Swan. How different is Black Swan from the FPN-exclusive Tulipe Noire?

Yikes, the ink and the penmanship are both achingly beautiful. I love the magenta-to-plum range and had been experimenting with ToasterPastry's method of blending Aurora Black with R&K reds and pinks for shading, so Black Swan has my name on it...

I have one question before I order Black Swan. How different is Black Swan from the FPN-exclusive Tulipe Noire?

The colors are fairly similar, though Black Swan is less saturated than Tulipe Noire. Black Swan shades better.

jgrasty ... Great review and my compliments at your beautiful penmanship. Will have to check this ink myself as well.

I don't use Noodlers as much as other brands, so I'm wondering - all the best shading Noodlers I have write very dry off my pens. Does this continue across ALL the great shading Noodlers, or have I hit a statistical anomaly?

Ghost Plane,

I have been very happy with the gorgeous shading effects Noodler's Turquoise (American Eel series) and Golden Brown inks create when used with vintage flexible nibs. The only disadvantage has been drying time in those inks. Using those superflex and wet noodle nibs that lay lots of ink on paper, Noodlers inks take a little longer to dry than what I am used to with other ink brands. But still, those are two great colors with amazing shading capabilities.

Tu Amigo!

Mauricio Aguilar

www.VintagePen.net

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3525/4051556482_36f28f0902_m.jpg

E-Mail: VintagePen@att.net

jgrasty ... Great review and my compliments at your beautiful penmanship. Will have to check this ink myself as well.

Thanks! You sold me that Waterman 52 at the Dallas Pen Show... :thumbup:

Thanks for posting such a gorgeous review. I'm a big fan of Pelikan's Cities and Places series too. However, I'm always terrified of staining the transparent plastic sections. Has this ink left any marks on your Shanghai?

Nope, no staining at all in my Shanghai. I've used a lot of different inks and haven't had a problem with any of them.

Using this in my Custom 74 demo F, While I'd love to try this in an italic nib, I just don't have one. This IS the ink I have been looking to use for recipes :) I really like how it looks in my books and notes :) I'm glad I got 2 bottles as in the past 2 days I have used half a pens worth :P I may have to get more :)

• 3 weeks later...

That's a great review, and your handwriting samples are so lovely, really showing off the shading of this ink. Thanks. I bought the ink, and I'm just trying out my first flexible-nib pen, the Noodlers one. Lots to learn, but pretty writing, with this ink in particular!

Thought you'd be interested, I bought a bottle and tried it in a Noodler's flex nib, AWESOME! I did and WILL use this as a daily ink, it's in the rotation. It's very well behaved on cheap paper and dark enough that it looks very professional. Only down side is the dry time is a bit long, but it makes me smile, and that's worth a few extra moments dry time any day :thumbup:

Edited by 79spitfire

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

• 2 weeks later...
The third writing sample is from a Waterman 52 with a fine flexible nib. In this pen, the ink is very wet and lays down a thick, wet stroke. The ink takes the better part of a minute to dry from this pen, and it verges on being too wet for this pen. Shading is pretty dramatic as well; the "Black Swan" effect is somewhat more evident.

http://bettygrastymd.com/jgrasty/wp-content/uploads/closeup-waterman-52.png

great review. nice swatch comparisons to other inks. LOVE how it came out of the Waterman 52 flex. amAzing!

Edited by juniper

That ink looks perfect for my Noodler's semi-flex. Thanks for the review!

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Tried NSW in my Safari's...1.1 &1.5. In the first it was quite saturated but still exhibited great shading...in the second, the shading was more subtle yet still substantial... and it looked very antique-like....cool. Next, an older Namiki Falcon...should be interesting.

Edited by SnowLeopard

I tried it in my Safari Med, I had to press really hard and go quite slow.

I really want a flex nib now.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5053/5474058273_67e558584b_m.jpg

I put it in my brand new Lamy Joy this afternoon, and I really like the way it writes. The shading isn't as good as it would be with a flex nib, but I think it's very pretty.

I tried it in my Safari Med, I had to press really hard and go quite slow.

I really want a flex nib now.

My Lamy Safari with a M nib is actually quite a wet writer. That with NSW has been quite nice. Does give some wonderful shading but not as much as one with a flexible nib, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

"The Black Swan ink wrote purty as can be..."

Isn't that lovely?

Can I have fallen in love with an ink? I think so....

The Writing Desk, Suffolk, is our English Noodler's stockist, awaiting delivery. I really hope it's soon, as I hope to be able to refuse a wedding invitation in the best possible style.

• 2 months later...

Gorgeous review! You have seriously beautiful penmanship!

And this is a unique color that's sedate enough for the office (OK, some offices...) and just exudes subtle class. Putting this one on my Wish List.

What you said!

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.