Sailor 1911 With Music Nib

OC Mike

I have three pens with Music nibs: Sailor Sapporo Mini; Sailor full-sized 1911; and a Platinum 3776. The Sailors are fairly wet writers and I find that I can get very good line variation with them. The same is true of the Platinum, but it seems to be a little wetter writer than the Sailors. I can try and post some writing examples if anyone is interested.

//mark

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• toomanypelikans

• OC Mike

• DanDeM

• HalloweenHJB

I have three pens with Music nibs: Sailor Sapporo Mini; Sailor full-sized 1911; and a Platinum 3776. The Sailors are fairly wet writers and I find that I can get very good line variation with them. The same is true of the Platinum, but it seems to be a little wetter writer than the Sailors. I can try and post some writing examples if anyone is interested.

//mark

Writing samples would be great!

Regards,

Mike

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s1600/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

I want to add a note of slight discord here (emphasis on - relatively - slight).

I have a Sapporo with MS nib, and smooth by my definition it ain't. That is to say, it's well-tuned - perfectly aligned, no scratchiness. But it is darned toothy, heavy feedback throughout. This would suit some people, but is not my cup of tea. All the stranger given than another Sailor with an XF nib - orders of magnitude more difficult to make smooth than one as wide as the MS - is smooth as anything on smooth paper. I'm still rotating inks through the Sapporo to see if I can find something that it likes, but I suspect that it will eventually find a home with someone for whom feedback is a positive quality.

I'm not alone in this - there are other posts out there in the FPN ether making similar comments. The Music nib seems to be far more hit and miss, by general consensus, than most other Sailor nibs.

I don't see people mention this about Sailor Music Nib. You can write upside down in order to get a smaller nib width. It adds more fun to use. None of the other music nibs can do this.

• 3 weeks later...

You can get some variation with it if you have the chops:

http://www.leighreyes.com/blog/?p=1280

http://www.leighreyes.com/blog/?p=1289

http://www.leighreyes.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/01.jpg

http://www.leighreyes.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/2008toptenpens2.jpg

Wow. I regret looking at this post. I either want to eventually get all these pens or your penmanship.

You can get some variation with it if you have the chops:

http://www.leighreyes.com/blog/?p=1280

http://www.leighreyes.com/blog/?p=1289

http://www.leighreyes.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/01.jpg

http://www.leighreyes.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/2008toptenpens2.jpg

Wow. I regret looking at this post. I either want to eventually get all these pens or your penmanship.

Yes I am so jealous.

I can get some line variation with the music nib on my Sailor 1911m. Definitely broad and wet, it's one of my smoothest writers. A wee bit too broad for small handwriting so I tend to favour my Stipula stubs / italic nibs which range from 0.9mm to 1.1mm line width.

I can get some line variation with the music nib on my Sailor 1911m. Definitely broad and wet, it's one of my smoothest writers. A wee bit too broad for small handwriting so I tend to favour my Stipula stubs / italic nibs which range from 0.9mm to 1.1mm line width.

I too love my Sailor Sapporo MS and my Stipula 1.1mm italic is a lovely nib. But my new favourite is my Pelikan M600 with Richard Binder 1.1mm Music nib with slight flex and extra wet. If you writing is smaller I can recommend Mr Binder's 0.7mm cursive italic.

Edited by justdaveyb

• 3 years later...

I must have gotten a bum pen. I have had no end of problems with this pen since I bought it. After filling it with ink, the amount of ink is excessive off the bat, and after writing a bit, it seems normal, but then, in mid-sentence --mid word-- the ink suddenly, unexpectedly shuts off. And trying to coax the ink out is not an option. Very vexing. In fact, UNUSABLE. Anyone want to buy this from me, and try to figure out what the problem is, just let me know...

Thanks, sotto2, for the encouragement. I'm not terribly mechanical (not at all, actually!), but I may give it a shot. Couldn't hurt, right? It's unusable as it is, so I might as well try a little surgery! ;)

Thanks, sotto2, for the encouragement. I'm not terribly mechanical (not at all, actually!), but I may give it a shot. Couldn't hurt, right? It's unusable as it is, so I might as well try a little surgery! ;)

Looked for the video you suggested, and found one on taking the nib apart. I did that, but I couldn't see anything that might be causing the problem. And then again, I don't know what it's supposed to look like...

Putting the pen together again, the problem is still there. Here is what it's like to write with this pen. It alternately GUSHES oceans of ink, and then on the next stroke, it's dry and scratches the paper. The circles show where it suddenly stops flowing in mid sentence, mid word. As I said, maybe it's just a dud...

Looked for the video you suggested, and found one on taking the nib apart. I did that, but I couldn't see anything that might be causing the problem. And then again, I don't know what it's supposed to look like...

Putting the pen together again, the problem is still there. Here is what it's like to write with this pen. It alternately GUSHES oceans of ink, and then on the next stroke, it's dry and scratches the paper. The circles show where it suddenly stops flowing in mid sentence, mid word. As I said, maybe it's just a dud...

How is the nib orientation to the paper? It looks like the problem is with the nib as you write as opposed to the flow. If you had flow issues I would assume the pen would constantly be dry, or dry out after extended use. If you are writing with a wet flow and it suddenly cuts off, I would assume its nib orientation. Do you rotate your pen in hand at all?

I'm waiting for one in the post.'

I bought it because it's the broadest that Sailor make, and am planning to get a regrind to CI. I'm into broader nibs in general, and the there is nothing in between the rather fine Sailor broad and the music nib, so I bought the music. I think Sailor should introduce a double broad like Platinum, but I'm not sure if there's much of a market for this in Japan..

You don't have to see anything for something to still be there causing the problem. Did you LIGHTLY scrub the nib, feed, and inside of the section (particularly the longitudinal groove on the top of the feed) with a soft toothbrush (Q-tip for inside the section) after letting them soak for a few minutes in some water with a good-sized drop of dish detergent in it as per my description in the link to the thread I provided? And then thoroughly rinse everything with lots of plain water? This solved my similar problem, but YMMV of course.

P.S. Don't wash anything down the sink drain. :-|

Edited by sotto2

http://i59.tinypic.com/ekfh5f.jpg

Are there any samples demonstrating how writing music notes are more easily done with a music nib versus a normal two-tine nib?

The Sailor music nib is a normal two-tine nib, unlike the 3 tine nibs used by Platinum/Nakaya and Pilot. As for how to write music with a music nib:

http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/ttp/music.htm

• 4 months later...

Sach:

How did your reground music nib to CI work out? I did the same with 1911M. Pendleton Brown did the modification. The result is superb.