Sailor 1911 With Music Nib

OC Mike

Folks,

I'm contemplating the purchase of a Sailor 1911 with a music nib. Any comments/recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Mike

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s1600/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• toomanypelikans

• OC Mike

• DanDeM

• HalloweenHJB

My only suggestion would be to get the 1911 Large with the 21K nib. Primarily because I have larger hands and never post caps. The 1911 Standard feels small to me.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

-Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Hi Mike,

From what I've read and heard on the subject, the MS nib for sailor appears to be somewhat wet hence not giving much line variation.

I was also contemplating on one fitted onto their Demo however have been hesitant due to the that.

https://imgur.com/8TOQh8v

"Oey !! Gimme back my pen !"

I've got one - I just bought it a couple of weeks ago. It's definitely a pretty wet nib with a very broad line.

Whether you'll like it or not is hard to answer. I don't know you. :)

Too many pens; too many inks. But at least I've emptied two ink bottles now.

Thanks. I have a few pens where the nibs have been modified to cursive italics and I really enjoy them. The nibs range from a .7 mm-1.5mm. These are fun! But I'm not that versed in Sailor nibs so that's why I posted this topic.

Regards,

Mike

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s1600/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

My Sailor Sapporo Music loaded with Private Reserve DC Supershow blue lays down a very wet broad line though It doesn;t give much variation if I try to write in an italic style with it, my Platinum Music while a drier writer (wish it was slightly wetter) give quite good thin/thick line variation. Hope this helps.

Its a fantastic smooth wet nib. I don't have it in a 1911, but in a full size Pro Gear, but I can highly recommend the music nib.

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

I have a Sailor MS nib on a Sapporo. A very broad, smooth and wet writer with very little line variation. There's an evaluation on my blog, but it is in Spanish.

Here's a photo:

http://misplumasfuente.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/20100507-sailor-sapporo-with-music-nib-plus-private-reserve-tangerine-dream-ink-31.jpg

And a writing sample:

http://misplumasfuente.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/20100508-sailor-sapporo-with-music-nib-plus-private-reserve-ink-tangerine-dream-handwriting-sample-1-of-3.jpg

Edited by carlosjaviercontreras

Mi blog "Mis Plumas Fuente" contiene evaluaciones en lengua Castellana, muestras de escritura y fotografías originales de las plumas en mi colección.

Visítenos en http://misplumasfuente.wordpress.com/

Thanks for the responses and the writing samples!:clap1:

Regards,

Mike

Folks,

I'm contemplating the purchase of a Sailor 1911 with a music nib. Any comments/recommendations are greatly appreciated.

I have a music nib in a Platinum 3776. BIG nib: 1.3, maybe 1.5 . Really too big for me. Unless I'm feeling expansive, all the loops are closed, but it does offer lots of line variation. You might want to take one for a drive before you commit to the Sailor.

Thanks Blotto. Writing samples?

Regards,

Mike

One thing I will say about the nib is that although it's smooth and wet, it's a very stiff nib. I ended up selling both my Pro Gear and Sapporo pens with MS nibs because that singular issue prevented me from enjoying them as much as I did my other pens.

Folks,

I have a music nib in a Platinum 3776. BIG nib: 1.3, maybe 1.5 . Really too big for me. Unless I'm feeling expansive, all the loops are closed, but it does offer lots of line variation. You might want to take one for a drive before you commit to the Sailor.

A question: how would you rate your Plantinum 3776 Music as far as ink flow etc. I have one as well but to me it is quite a dry writer.

Folks,

A question: how would you rate your Plantinum 3776 Music as far as ink flow etc. I have one as well but to me it is quite a dry writer.

When it was in rotation, it was loaded with Aurora Black and never skipped a beat. What ink are you using?

Thanks Blotto. Writing samples?

Mike:

I see that you're in OC, so we can't be that far apart. If you would like to try it, give me a PM.

Folks,

When it was in rotation, it was loaded with Aurora Black and never skipped a beat. What ink are you using?

Currently Noodler's Borealis Black but have had Waterman Florida Blue & Blue-Black, Noodler's Zhivago and Coral Sea as well as Caran d'Ache Amazon. It didn's work well at all with Zhivago, average with the Watermans, Borealis black is ok, Amazon was OK and Coral Sea was the best. It seems quite sensitive to paper used as well, likes Clarefountaine, hates Rhodia Grid but likes Rhodia dot pads. I am thinking about sending it away to see if it can be adjusted.

Folks,

Currently Noodler's Borealis Black but have had Waterman Florida Blue & Blue-Black, Noodler's Zhivago and Coral Sea as well as Caran d'Ache Amazon. It didn's work well at all with Zhivago, average with the Watermans, Borealis black is ok, Amazon was OK and Coral Sea was the best. It seems quite sensitive to paper used as well, likes Clarefountaine, hates Rhodia Grid but likes Rhodia dot pads. I am thinking about sending it away to see if it can be adjusted.

You gotta love pens with personality.

Folks,

You gotta love pens with personality.

Yep has that. Am looking to buy Aurora Black ink soon so will try that.

Have just place an order with Binder Pens for a Pelikan M200 and one of his custom 1.1mm music nibs - the music nib fetish continues...