#1 meghan

meghan

Ink Hoarder

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2010 - 18:24

I'm planning to stop by my local boutique in the next few days to pick up some White Forrest scented ink.

Anyone used White Forest? I know it's the 2009 production -- I wonder if there will be a 2010 holiday ink?

How seriously do you take the recommendation to use only MB inks in your pens? I hear that De Atramentis makes a coffee-scented ink that would be just snazzy...

Brown Dog Paper: Handcrafted Letterpress Posted Image Posted Image

#2 Chemyst

Chemyst

Senior Ink Analyst

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2010 - 18:36

Anyone used White Forest? I know it's the 2009 production -- I wonder if there will be a 2010 holiday ink?

Yes, it is a nice holiday green with a pleasing pine scent.

It was a great choice for 2008. Then a boring repeat in 2009. I really hope they don't repeat it again in 2010, making it more of the annual release of White Forest for the holidays, instead of making a different ink every year as the trend was going from 2005-2008.

#3 meghan

meghan

Ink Hoarder

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2010 - 18:52

A peppermint scent would be just lovely for a limited holiday ink...

Shouldn't they be announcing this year's release some time very soon?

#4 Chemyst

Chemyst

Senior Ink Analyst

• Member - Gold

• 2,692 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2010 - 19:13

Usually it is already in customer's hands by now. The past few years have had the reviews popping up on FPN around mid-October.

Rumors from various boutiques and authorized retailers are that no such ink is being promoted this year. Only time will tell.

#5 Joane

Joane

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 19:27

I was in the local pen store today and they still have only White Forest. I have been using it for a few months in my MB 144 F and I think it is gorgeous! It really is a colour like a pine forest in winter. There is a tinge of blue in the dark green, just like pine needles. But it's not only the colour that is nice: the flow is excellent, it seems to have just the right viscosity, my pen just sails along with it, and the characters come out just the shape and angle that I want.
Happiness is a real Montblanc...

#6 shaylenwilliams

shaylenwilliams

Aparecium

• Member - Gold

• 1,133 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 20:03

Ooooh! Agreed! And cinnamon too!
"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss
The Poor Connoisseurs

#7 Darius

Darius

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,396 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2010 - 21:14

shaylenwilliams, the 2006 Season's Greeting was a cinnamon scented brown.

The White Forest from 2008 and 2009 aren't exactly the same. The former was made in Germany; the latter, like their new line of inks, in Austria. It was made after MB switched their ink supplier. I found the 2009 one behaves better.

I am interested in MB's special inks. They have released 2 per year since 2005, with the exception of 2006. It's disappointing that they haven't released any in 2010.

#8 Lsarios

Lsarios

Arios

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 23:17

I was in the boutique store here several weeks ago and the had the holiday inks. A brown with a cinnamon scent and a red with a vanilla scent.
"What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
"When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for...that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation."
"You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

#9 shaylenwilliams

shaylenwilliams

Aparecium

• Member - Gold

• 1,133 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 00:41

shaylenwilliams, the 2006 Season's Greeting was a cinnamon scented brown.

The White Forest from 2008 and 2009 aren't exactly the same. The former was made in Germany; the latter, like their new line of inks, in Austria. It was made after MB switched their ink supplier. I found the 2009 one behaves better.

I am interested in MB's special inks. They have released 2 per year since 2005, with the exception of 2006. It's disappointing that they haven't released any in 2010.

Too bad it had to be brown. I think I am the only person on FPN who wants nothing to do with brown inks.
"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss
The Poor Connoisseurs

#10 jgrasty

jgrasty

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,906 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2010 - 01:30

How do you tell the difference between the 2008 and the 2009 version? I have a bottle, but there's no date on it. Very pretty color, but the scent has faded to near nothingness.
Regards,

Joey

In use: Pelikan M200 Green Marbled (EF nib) with Noodler's Black and Pilot Fermo (M nib) with Noodler's Legal Lapis.

#11 Darius

Darius

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,396 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:26

I was in the boutique store here several weeks ago and the had the holiday inks. A brown with a cinnamon scent and a red with a vanilla scent.

The cinnamon scented brown is from 2006, the vanilla scented red is from 2007.

Too bad it had to be brown. I think I am the only person on FPN who wants nothing to do with brown inks.

I use brown inks at work when I don't feel like using the usual blue or black.
You could check out De Atramentis, they have a cinnamon scented black ink.

How do you tell the difference between the 2008 and the 2009 version? I have a bottle, but there's no date on it. Very pretty color, but the scent has faded to near nothingness.

I'm not at home right know, but IIRC, the bottles are identical. I think even the boxes are the same with the exception of the country of origin. So if you still have the box, you could check if it has Germany or Austria on it.

I know no one asked, but here's a list of the MB special inks:

Love Letter "Je t'aime": Rose scented red. 30 ml bottles and box of 6 cartridges. Made in France (by Herbin I heard).
Season's Greetings: Cookies and spice scented brown. 30 ml bottles and box of 6 cartridges.

Season's Greetings: Cinnamon scented brown. 30 ml bottles and box of 6 cartridges.

Sakura: Cherry blossom scented cherry red (pink to my eyes). Was exclusive to the Japan market. 30 ml bottles and box of 6 cartridges.
Season's Greetings: Vanilla scented dark red. 30 ml bottles and box of 6 cartridges.

Love Letter "I love you": Rose scented red. Made in Germany. Differs from the first Love Letter ink in colour and scent. 30 ml bottles and box of 6 cartridges.
Season's Greetings "White Forest": Pine scented green. 30 ml bottles and box of 6 cartridges. Made in Germany.

Gandhi: Saffron orange. Some say it has a saffron scent. To me it's unscented. 50 ml bottles.
Season's Greetings "White Forest": Pine scented green. 30 ml bottles and box of 6 cartridges. Made in Austria.

The Gandhi was sold in bottles only, as far as I know. It came in the previous standard bottles with a special label and box. It was intended that this ink was not to be sold separately, and a bottle would be gifted with each Gandhi pen. But I guess the decision was revised.
The Season's Greetings inks came in their distinctively shaped bottles, with a change in caps and print on bottles.
The 2 Love Letter inks and the Sakura ink, each had their unique bottles.

#12 meghan

meghan

Ink Hoarder

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2010 - 13:59

I stopped in at my local MB boutique last night and picked up a box of cartridges of White Forest and a bottle of the Season's Greeting red with vanilla scent. I looooove the Season's Greetings red! It's the perfect red in my Prera EF. The smell is so faint, but every now and then I get a little whiff of vanilla and I just love it. I haven't tried it in an MB or anything with a wider nib yet, though. I've got to get my hands on the little cartridge washer/filler set from Goulet first, since neither of my MBs have converters.

I have a cartridge of my favorite purple in my Greta right now, so once I run it out I'll test drive the White Forest.

Thanks for the list, Darius. I'd really like to try either of the Love Letter inks or the Sakura, but I'm sure I'd have a difficult time finding Sakura.

Edited by meghan, 18 November 2010 - 14:01.

#13 Darius

Darius

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,396 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2010 - 14:10

meghan, you are right about the Sakura ink. It's difficult to come by, and if you do find it, it's quite expensive.

#14 Joane

Joane

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,108 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 15:22

Darius, thank you very much for the great list! There is definitely room there for the colour I would like to see, a "heavenly" holiday blue. (Hope MB is reading this.)

#15 Jimothy

Jimothy

Weatherman

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2010 - 15:38

For my eye the White Forest is identical in colour to the new Irish Green. I have a bottle of each and I can see no discernable difference between the two other than, of course, the perfume.
A miscellany of sense and nonsense

Posted ImagePosted Image

In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.

#16 Artytarty

Artytarty

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 16:38

Thanks for mentioning the cartridges, I havent got around to buyibg a converter for my Noblesse series 1 yet.! I think it would be lovely to write the Christmas cards with White Forest ink :vbg:

#17 arz

arz

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 17:59

I recently found that my 2008 bottle had the issue with the inner cover material deteriorating and contaminating the ink. :sick: I ran across the receipt from 2 years ago just this morning and went to the local mb boutique, where they readily replaced the ink bottle. I can't wait to fill up with the 2009 version (I made sure to verify before leaving the store)!

I didn't see any new inks when she opened the cabinet to replace my bottle, but I was on my way to work and didn't chat for very long.

At any rate, I'm happy to have a "new" bottle of this to get me in the spirit.

#18 Joane

Joane

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,108 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 18:19

I recently found that my 2008 bottle had the issue with the inner cover material deteriorating and contaminating the ink. :sick: I ran across the receipt from 2 years ago just this morning and went to the local mb boutique, where they readily replaced the ink bottle. I can't wait to fill up with the 2009 version (I made sure to verify before leaving the store)!

I didn't see any new inks when she opened the cabinet to replace my bottle, but I was on my way to work and didn't chat for very long.

At any rate, I'm happy to have a "new" bottle of this to get me in the spirit.

You know what? My current bottle (excellent!) says "made in Austria." I'll bet that inner-cap contamination thing was the problem with another bottle I was going to buy. The salesman took one bottle off the shelf. He went to open it to check the contents and it exploded! Then he went and got another bottle, the one I have now, and it is just fine. We never could figure out what happened with the first bottle but it could very well have been stock from the prior year and one of the made in Germany ones with the cap-liner problem. I will mention it to him next time in the shop.

#19 Artytarty

Artytarty

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 18:52

Hehe! but did the shop smell wonderful?

#20 Joane

Joane

Collectors Item