Dearest Friends and Visitors of the Fountain Pen Network,
We have started implementing the changes we promised here: Upcoming Changes To FPN
Please do read the linked message above.

Photo

Vintage Pens Of "average" Americans

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#31 Florida Blue

Florida Blue

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:02

I'm not sure about the pens themselves but many professions preferred certain types of nibs for their writing needs.

Many companies (including Esterbrook, Parker and Sheaffer) produced accountant, manifold, clerical/secretarial, bookkeeping and shorthand nibs that were designed for office workers, salesmen, accountants, book and records keepers and secretaries.
Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Premium Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, 21 Super Red, Vac Jr. Black, 51 MK1 Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 MK1 Demi Black, 51 MK1 Demi Teal, 51 MK1 Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Sub. Deb. Black.

#32 N2theBreach

N2theBreach

Still learning

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:59

I believe we were "average." We certainly weren't affluent, nor were we poor.

When I was a tyke in the latev'50s, my mother used what I now know as a Parker '51. My father used a different pen, with an exposed nib. I remember asking my mother about the difference and she would say her pen had a nib, too it was just hidden back up under the plastic. My pre-school mind never figured out how they got that big nib (like my father's) to fit up inside that little hole on the "51."

About the way they were used. I remember my mother using her pen frequently. Maybe not for grocery lists, and such, but she used it for letters, writing checks, anything that wasn't just a note to be tossed in the trash within the next day or so. I didn't see my father use his much because he wasn't home during the day. I also remember store clerks using fountain pens. Again, I think they used them for things like recording sales, and so on, not for quick notes.

Edited by N2theBreach, 18 February 2013 - 03:02.