Coronet Nib Replacement

mikerx

I'm the proud owner of a one of my grail pens, the Coronet (pen store model, black inserts). Yes, an Ebay find that was a buy-it-now for a fair price. The pictures of the nib lead me to believe that it isn't all that flexible, so my question is...

If I choose to have the nib changed to an adjustable should I use my #5 or #7 adjustable currently residing on my desk pens. If I simply go down the flexible route, what size Gold Seal or Skyline or other W/E nib should I use?

I've already decided to avoid touching this one on my own and send it to my "go to" restorer (Aaron at Pentiques). I have experience, but the Coronet scares the you know what out of me...If you don't understand why search the boards for "Coronet Repair" and see for yourself. This isn't your grandfathers Skyline....

If you have nib advice please let me know!

post-1248-087711200 1287520530.jpgpost-1248-098415200 1287520546.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mikerx

• Wahlnut

• LukeSkyliner

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm the proud owner of a one of my grail pens, the Coronet (pen store model, black inserts). Yes, an Ebay find that was a buy-it-now for a fair price. The pictures of the nib lead me to believe that it isn't all that flexible, so my question is...

If I choose to have the nib changed to an adjustable should I use my #5 or #7 adjustable currently residing on my desk pens. If I simply go down the flexible route, what size Gold Seal or Skyline or other W/E nib should I use?

I've already decided to avoid touching this one on my own and send it to my "go to" restorer (Aaron at Pentiques). I have experience, but the Coronet scares the you know what out of me...If you don't understand why search the boards for "Coronet Repair" and see for yourself. This isn't your grandfathers Skyline....

If you have nib advice please let me know!

post-1248-087711200 1287520530.jpgpost-1248-098415200 1287520546.jpg

Depending on how "original" you want things to be, the right size nibs are #7 adjustable and #4 plain. Anything larger (like a necked down #9 which can fit the feed and section at the shank, will be too long or too wide and will either bottom out on the inner cap and scrape and leak against the inner cap walls. The correct nibs break down further into 1936-7 and 1938+. The plain nib for a 1936-7 pen is the the arched Eversharp nib with the heart shaped breather hole. During 1938 the first "Skyline" style" (although there were no Skylines yet) with the inverted T shape were seen on these pens too. The correct "self fitting" (adjustable") nib is debatable. Catalogs and repair manuals with parts exploded and individually shown for the early pen does not show an adjustable nib (but evidence points to it being available). So for the early pens the open slider may be correct. For the the later pens the the closed, cartouche shaped slider is definitely right. The section and feed should be the Personal Point screw-in assembly with the ink shut-off feature, in both case. The feed for the slider nibs are also specific to these nibs. At the Washington show someone sold someone else a Coronet with the wrong feed and the nib would not sit strait, would not sit down against the feed properly and would not write correctly. That one needed a replacement correct feed. There are many many details about the "front end" of a Coronet to get just right. Over the years well-meaning (I assume) repair/restoration ) people did the best they could with the materials and parts at hand to keep these running. So "as is" may not always be original. Having correct spare parts to pull from is the key.

Syd

Edited by Wahlnut

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

Thanks Syd!

I will carefully inspect this one when it arrives and make the decision. I have several nib options that would fit the bill (Skyline Style, open adjustable), but I will have to make sure of the fit. I don't want to franken-pen this one even if it "looks close". It may simply have to stay "as found" to be safe with the caveat that "as found" may not be original! I will send Aaron a few nib and feed options to see what could work.

I don't have the later closed slider adjustable as a spare (the one I have is doing nicely in a Doric). I think think the #4 flexible would be a nice addition (I have one in a gold seal standard sized pen I picked up in Boston a few months ago, its a wonderful nib, but it's not going to leave the gold seal). I'll be on the hunt!

Thanks again for your always sage advice. I've really gotten the bug for W/E's and appreciate all of your help via the boards, email and personally at the the DC show. Wish me luck on internal condition and nib flexibility!

Mike

• 2 years later...