Retractable Fountain Pens

johntdavis

Where do you think I might find the best deal on a Fermo? I'd also like to get some strange ink. Brown or orange or green or something -- something different but still appropriate for daily use.

These are good bets:

JetPens - $268

Oscar Braun - price not listed, but "on special"

Melpens - $193 - reputable dealer in Malaysia (I've bought Lamy products from them myself and been quite happy)

JetPens and Melpens also sell ink. Not 100% sure about Oscar Braun, but I don't think they do.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• johntdavis

• Silvermink

• watch_art

• AltecGreen

Where do you think I might find the best deal on a Fermo? I'd also like to get some strange ink. Brown or orange or green or something -- something different but still appropriate for daily use.

These are good bets:

JetPens - $268

Melpens - $193 - reputable dealer in Malaysia (I've bought Lamy products from them myself and been quite happy)

JetPens and Melpens also sell ink. Not 100% sure about Oscar Braun, but I don't think they do.

I wonder why Melpens seems to be so much cheaper. Not that I'm complaining. I notice they have a nice forrest green version (http://www.melpens.com/Pilot/Fermo_Capless_Green_Fountain_Pen.aspx). I wonder why that one isn't listed on the Namiki site anymore. Is it out of production? I really like the green the best, but I don't want to get it if it's some sort of older, less sophisticated version. I found a new green one on eBay with a fine nib -- it's significantly more expensive, though.

These are good bets:

JetPens - $268

I wonder why Melpens seems to be so much cheaper. Not that I'm complaining. I notice they have a nice forrest green version (http://www.melpens.com/Pilot/Fermo_Capless_Green_Fountain_Pen.aspx). I wonder why that one isn't listed on the Namiki site anymore. Is it out of production? I really like the green the best, but I don't want to get it if it's some sort of older, less sophisticated version. I found a new green one on eBay with a fine nib -- it's significantly more expensive, though.

It is because pens from Melpens.com are being shipped from Melaysai and things tend to be cheaper then what they cost in the USA. Don't forget to add shipping and tariff charges - these things add up.

"For international orders, customer will be responsible for all tariffs, taxes, duties, or brokerage fees. We are not able to ascertain the additional charge for different country. Therefore all the additional charge will be beared by the customer." Not sure how much these tariffs are but there is a $16.00 charge for shipping to the USA.

Edited by Oranges and Apples

The green pen is a current production pen. It is however not a color imported into the US. Thus the US Namiki site does not list it along with the other countless Pilot pens not imported into the US. Namiki is just the marketing and distribution tool for the US. What they import into the US is only a small fraction of what Pilot makes. Melpens is in Asia and has a different distribution chain. Thus they sell products not officially imported in the US.

If you want to see the full Pilot Fountain line, then check out Pilot's site in Japan (the maki-e pens are on a separate page).

Secondly, never be put off by an older model of pen. Newer is not always better. Fountain pens are not like things like TVs, digital cameras, etc. Many would argue that vintage pens are superior to modern fountain pens. I personally prefer the older vintage Pilot Capless pens to the current models. I really like the 1964 model.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

The green pen is a current production pen. It is however not a color imported into the US. Thus the US Namiki site does not list it along with the other countless Pilot pens not imported into the US. Namiki is just the marketing and distribution tool for the US. What they import into the US is only a small fraction of what Pilot makes. Melpens is in Asia and has a different distribution chain. Thus they sell products not officially imported in the US.

If you want to see the full Pilot Fountain line, then check out Pilot's site in Japan (the maki-e pens are on a separate page).

Secondly, never be put off by an older model of pen. Newer is not always better. Fountain pens are not like things like TVs, digital cameras, etc. Many would argue that vintage pens are superior to modern fountain pens. I personally prefer the older vintage Pilot Capless pens to the current models. I really like the 1964 model.

Thanks for the clarification. When I mentioned old vs. new, I was more thinking about problems with the internal mechanism that might have been corrected in later versions. It's strange that Namiki wouldn't import all available pen colors. Is there a particular reason for this? It seems difficult to argue there's not enough demand for, say, green Fermos. It's not exactly an exotic color. I don't know any Japanese, but if I'm looking at this page correctly (http://www.pilot.co.jp/products/pen/fountain/caplessfermo/index.html), there are only four colors, right?

It is because pens from Melpens.com are being shipped from Melaysai and things tend to be cheaper then what they cost in the USA. Don't forget to add shipping and tariff charges - these things add up.

"For international orders, customer will be responsible for all tariffs, taxes, duties, or brokerage fees. We are not able to ascertain the additional charge for different country. Therefore all the additional charge will be beared by the customer." Not sure how much these tariffs are but there is a $16.00 charge for shipping to the USA.

Frequently you'll get away without being charged - at least, I've found that in Canada, and people have noted that the US is similar. No guarantees, obviously.

That and if you are charged, I doubt it would be as much as $60, which is what it would take to bring the price up to what you pay for it domestically.

The only other thing would be warranty, which would be simpler to deal with if you're buying domestically, but Pilots are pretty dependable and I think Melpens would probably help you out if you had a problem.

Just some things to consider, anyway.

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Thanks for the clarification. When I mentioned old vs. new, I was more thinking about problems with the internal mechanism that might have been corrected in later versions. It's strange that Namiki wouldn't import all available pen colors. Is there a particular reason for this? It seems difficult to argue there's not enough demand for, say, green Fermos. It's not exactly an exotic color. I don't know any Japanese, but if I'm looking at this page correctly (http://www.pilot.co.jp/products/pen/fountain/caplessfermo/index.html), there are only four colors, right?

None of the Japanese big three import all of the pens they make to the US. This is also true for other products like consumer electronics. We never get the good stuff. The majority of consumers in the US are dirt cheap and think only of the price and not quality.

The US market does not like too many color variations. US retailers are really against lots of colors. It's the opposite in Japan. Color variety is essential. If you walk through a Japanese store, you can find the same product sold in the US but in 10 different colors. Apple is one of the few US companies to buck this trend.

There only four colors in the official Fermo line. But often in Japan, the Japanese big three will make a run of a pen model in a custom color for sale by a specific store. So it is possible to find some pens in non-standard colors that came from specific stores. One often find Sailor pens like this.

August 28-30th, 2020
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

None of the Japanese big three import all of the pens they make to the US. This is also true for other products like consumer electronics. We never get the good stuff. The majority of consumers in the US are dirt cheap and think only of the price and not quality.

The US market does not like too many color variations. US retailers are really against lots of colors. It's the opposite in Japan. Color variety is essential. If you walk through a Japanese store, you can find the same product sold in the US but in 10 different colors. Apple is one of the few US companies to buck this trend.

There only four colors in the official Fermo line. But often in Japan, the Japanese big three will make a run of a pen model in a custom color for sale by a specific store. So it is possible to find some pens in non-standard colors that came from specific stores. One often find Sailor pens like this.

That makes sense. And it also explains the oddball silver Fermo I found with gold highlights. Do you know if there's somewhere to get Fermo cartridges in some color other than black, blue, or blue/black? I love the colors they bottle, but cartridges are just so much more convenient.

That makes sense. And it also explains the oddball silver Fermo I found with gold highlights. Do you know if there's somewhere to get Fermo cartridges in some color other than black, blue, or blue/black? I love the colors they bottle, but cartridges are just so much more convenient.

All Pilot FP pens use Pilot's proprietary cartridges. You can find the Pilot cartridges in red, purple, and green in addition to the colors you listed. You can get Pilot cartridges from many online vendors.

You also might be able to use the cartridges meant for the Pilot Parallel pen. The cartridges are the same size but come in several more colors. The ink is bit different than the standard Pilot cartridges since the inks are designed to be mixed with different Parallel pens. The cartridges will fit but I have no idea how the ink will behave in a conventional fountain pen.

Limited color selection is the price of use cartridges.

August 28-30th, 2020
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

But what is the point if you still have to take the cap off?

It's more of a style/compactness thing if you still have a cap to take off, I think. It's certainly not a convenience thing at that point, since you're adding an extra step to the process of getting it ready to write...

I have a Bic Turn and Up (rebranded Stypen Up) that's similar to the Camlin there - cap plus twist.

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

All Pilot FP pens use Pilot's proprietary cartridges. You can find the Pilot cartridges in red, purple, and green in addition to the colors you listed. You can get Pilot cartridges from many online vendors.

You also might be able to use the cartridges meant for the Pilot Parallel pen. The cartridges are the same size but come in several more colors. The ink is bit different than the standard Pilot cartridges since the inks are designed to be mixed with different Parallel pens. The cartridges will fit but I have no idea how the ink will behave in a conventional fountain pen.

Limited color selection is the price of use cartridges.

I"m willing to experiment with bottle ink. I've only held off because I feel like it'd be a huge mess. Especially with the tiny nib on something like the Fermo. I'm sure it's not actually that bad. I've never done it before; how do you keep the nib from getting stained? It seems like you'd waste a lot of the ink you just loaded trying to wipe it off.

I"m willing to experiment with bottle ink. I've only held off because I feel like it'd be a huge mess. Especially with the tiny nib on something like the Fermo. I'm sure it's not actually that bad. I've never done it before; how do you keep the nib from getting stained? It seems like you'd waste a lot of the ink you just loaded trying to wipe it off.

If you use something damp to wipe it off, it doesn't wick more ink out so much.

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

How's the grip on the Dialog 3?

I actually found the Dialog pretty comfortable, and the nib blew me away. I believe it was a 14k B, and butter smooth. That said, I don't know how comfortable it would be for hours of writing, but I rarely write for that long without a break, so I usually don't pay much attention to such things.

Just wanted to once again thank everyone for their input. I settled on getting the fine nibbed brand new green Fermo I found on eBay for ~$250 w/ shipping, including a converter. I've also picked up some purple ink cartridges and am strongly considering getting a bottle of either Iroshizuku Horsetail or Crimson Glory Vine (which I'm guessing is nothing like the purple cartridge ink). What's the difference between the IC-50 and IC-100? Capacity?

Also, assuming I used the purple ink cartadge and then wanted to try the bottled ink, what's the best way to flush/clean the nib system?

use a converter to flush it out. or get an earbulb and use the earbulb method.

see this video at 2 minutes in...

[deletia]

Thanks! How much of the Fermo's nib should I submerge? It's hard to make out in the video.

take the nib unit out to fill it with ink. otherwise you get ink all over the pen, and all over the little trap door mechanism and it won't work properly after enough ink has gummed it all up. then you'll spend hours cleaning it to get it to work again.

take the nib unit and submerge it up to the metal tube part and squeeze or twist.