37 replies to this topic

#1 johntdavis

johntdavis

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 21:26

After discussing Pilots/Namikis over in the regional forum and learning about the Lamy Dialog 3, which I tend to like a little more for its larger visible nib and clean, if somewhat plain, styling, I wanted to ask if anyone could recommend any other sub $300 retractable nib pen models to consider. I have a somewhat heavy hand from years of writing with ballpoints, and would be looking at something with a fine/medium nib. I've found some super high end models (e.g.: Mont Blanc), but for my intended casual use they're really too expensive. Any suggestions for what to look at would be greatly appreciated. I am left handed, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Edited by johntdavis, 17 October 2010 - 21:38.

#2 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,903 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2010 - 22:19

Pilot Fermo?

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#3 Tsujigiri

Tsujigiri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 23:45

There are also some Italian pens like the Stipula DaVinci. If capped retractable pens count, then all the vintage "safety pens" will offer you a good selection.

#4 jniforat

jniforat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 00:11

+1 on the fermo!

#5 jniforat

jniforat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 00:11

+1 on the fermo!

#6 goodguy

goodguy

Fountain pens and watches collector

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2010 - 14:43

Montblanc Boheme will be a good pen for your price range.
A used Boheme should go around 250$-300$
Respect to all

#7 EdwardMarlowe

EdwardMarlowe

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 18:33

Nothing to add to your list, but just a recommendation for the Pilot Capless / Vanishing Point. Bought my dad one for his birthday last year, and he loves it. Very much not a one for gimmicks, but he loves that pen. His experience has convinced me to get one for myself!

#8 OMASmaniac

OMASmaniac

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2010 - 18:39

I would suggest you getting a Stipula, they're really nice pens!! :) But I don't know if they're under the price...

#9 pamsc

pamsc

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 18:39

I'm wanting one of these more and more. But I prefer slim pens and am not willing to pay over $150, so I'm thinking I should look for a used old model Vanishing Point. One question, though. I hold my pen at a low angle, along my thumb. Does the nib stick out far enough so the collar will not hit when held that way?

#10 johntdavis

johntdavis

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 21:34

I would suggest you getting a Stipula, they're really nice pens!! :) But I don't know if they're under the price...

Wow. These are really nice looking. Are you familiar with a specific model you like? What about their titanium nibs? How do those write as compared to, say, gold?

#11 mori45

mori45

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 October 2010 - 01:25

I tried the Dialog 3 and was very impressed. Definitely worth looking into if you're shopping for a capless/retractable.

#12 johntdavis

johntdavis

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 01:40

I tried the Dialog 3 and was very impressed. Definitely worth looking into if you're shopping for a capless/retractable.

Yeah, it's my favorite so far. Though I'm also liking some of the Stipula Model T's. They've got class. I'm trying to figure out how big they are, and how well the ink flows. Also that strange "T nib" makes me a bit nervous. I'd hate to buy a pen I couldn't make work well.

How's the grip on the Dialog 3?

Edited by johntdavis, 19 October 2010 - 01:40.

#13 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Moderators

• 14,903 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 October 2010 - 01:49

T nib? What are you talking about? The titanium? Should be fine to use and work with.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#14 johntdavis

johntdavis

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 01:54

T nib? What are you talking about? The titanium? Should be fine to use and work with.

The Stipula Model T uses a "T Flex" nib -- it's supposed to give varying line width based on pressure, though it is apparently difficult to get a fine line out of it. It's also Titanium, yes.

At the moment, I'm still leaning towards the Lamy. The Stipulas are nice, but they're a bit ... larger ... than I was hoping for.

#15 The Royal Pen

The Royal Pen

Me Irish eyes are smiling, for I've found me perfect blue.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 October 2010 - 02:24

If you want something under even $50, how about a Camlin retractible pen? They are ALOT like the vintage Waterman Safety Pens....oh, there you go! How about a vintage Waterman Safety Pen, but if if you want genuine RETRACTABLE, I recommen the Pilot Capless, fully. If there is a pen store close by to you, then go on down and try a Capless or the Lamy Dialog!
Posted Image

#16 OMASmaniac

OMASmaniac

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:23

Wow. These are really nice looking. Are you familiar with a specific model you like? What about their titanium nibs? How do those write as compared to, say, gold?

I'm not familiar with the specific model, but all the Stipulas I have are REALLY good, absolutely flawless and nice. I guess that the same quality standard applies for the retractable pens. I had the opportunity to see and try one of them, and they're simply wonderful! No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

#17 johntdavis

johntdavis

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 17:08

I'm not familiar with the specific model, but all the Stipulas I have are REALLY good, absolutely flawless and nice. I guess that the same quality standard applies for the retractable pens. I had the opportunity to see and try one of them, and they're simply wonderful! No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

They indeed sound wonderful. Unfortunately, they also seem to fall a bit out of my price range. The ones I like are $300-600. Of course, the prices are listed in Euros. Maybe if the euro went up against the dollar, the prices would decrease? Right now I'm back to looking at the Fermo, with a fine nib.

#18 Silvermink

Silvermink

Texture Junkie

• FPN Tech. Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 October 2010 - 17:33

The Fermo's a nice pen and is, IMO, more comfortable than the standard VP. The Da Vinci I don't think you'll find for under $300.
http://twitter.com/silvermink
Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Pilot Elite 95S - M - Pilot Iroshizuku Kiri-same // Parker 21 Super - M - Noodler's Widowmaker // Stipula Modello T FPN LE - Conway Stewart Kingsand // Parker Duofold (Canadian) - F - Diamine Meadow // Delta Via Veneto Doué Elegance - M - Conway Stewart Kingsand

#19 johntdavis

johntdavis

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 18:11

The Fermo's a nice pen and is, IMO, more comfortable than the standard VP. The Da Vinci I don't think you'll find for under $300.

I notice you write with a lot of fine nib pens. I intend to try one this time around. Medium seems to be too broad for my preferred style of script (somewhat small cursive, though not spider-web small).

Where do you think I might find the best deal on a Fermo? I'd also like to get some strange ink. Brown or orange or green or something -- something different but still appropriate for daily use.

#20 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 14,089 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 18:28

MB Toffee, is light with dark trails with a regular flex Fine.
50-50 with a Medium. Dark with light trails with a broad.

Look in Search for Death Grip, the better alternative to the pinch.

My I suggest taking a blank piece of paper and trying to write large. I can scribble large or small...but I play with broad nibs too.
Writing my seven letter last name.
EF is 1/2 letter smaller than Fine.
Fine 1/2 smaller than medium,
Medium 1/2 letter smaller than Broad .

There are programs that allow you to print your own lined paper, wide, medium or narrow.

Broads can be lots of fun.

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I try not use the term Easy Full Flex, but fail...sigh.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Odd, how many who should know better, compares Japanese F (which equals EF), with Western F, with out a second thought, but do not compare Japanese B with Western B.

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens only; not the users of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

[Sponsored Content]