Sailor King Of Pens

rogerico

First of all, I must say that I don't consider myself a pens collector. My grandmother bought me my first fountain pen when I was 14. I didn't ask her a pen; It was her decision as she thought I could improve my handwriting using a pen. She gave me a Montblanc, a modest one which never worked very well. When I started the first course in college, I decided it was time to have a really good pen. Then my mother bought me my first serious Montblanc fountain pen: the Meisterstuck Classique. I enjoyed it quite a lot, but in the course of time it became clear that it was to small for my hands. So after finishing the college I asked for another Montblanc: the Meisterstuck Le Grand. I thought this would be perfect for me, and it could have been perfect. But this pen always leaked. Nevertheless, I remained loyal to this brand because I always had thought it was the best -that was and influence of my grandmother- and some years later I asked my girlfriend a splendid gift and she gave me the Montblanc Edgar Allan Poe. I fell in love with it at first sight... but this pen has not ever written correctly. Obviously, I lost faith in Montblanc and I decided to change to another brand just to find a really good writer fountain pen. I was not trying to become a collector, I was just trying to find the best pen to write with. Then I tried a Parker Duofold. My god, this was a pen! I could write with it for hours without leakages. Besides, it was beautiful, well done. The nib was big but a little scratchy... What a pity: it was not yet the perfect fountain pen. I should go on searching... One year ago, my partner wanted me to buy a Graf Von Faber-Castell. She loves these pens and she gave me the Classic grenadilla wood. Not bad, it's a good pen, a good writer, but to small for me. So the search goes on... Until today! Maybe my quest has reached the end.

In june, for my birthday, I went to a good fountain pen shop in Barcelona and asked for a really good and big pen, the definitive perfect pen for me. I had in mind three models: Pelikan M100, Visconti Opera oversize and Omas Arco brown Paragon. I tried them all, but I wasn't able to decide me. Perhaps I could'n find them so perfect... While I was thinking and trying to decide me, the seller left a pen on the table stealthyly. I took it and wrote some words with it. Wow! That was amazing. The nib floated and the paper. I had never seen so much softness. Yes, it was a Sailor pen, a little one. I knew I had found what I was looking for. I ordered a Sailor King of Pen Black Ebonite Rhodium Trim Fountain Pen. After some months of waiting, last week the KOP arrived. Here it is.

1. Appearance, design, construction, quality: 10/10 This big ebonite pen is awesome: all black, perfectly polished, with no trim rings. Only the clip over the blackness. Its design is absolutely clean.

2. Weight & Dimensions: 10/10 I wanted a big pen, and there is no doubt that the KOP is big, with a good diameter. I can use it caped without any problem as it's not too heavy.

3. Nib & Performance: 9,9/10 The nib is wonderful, marvelous, gorgeous, the true heart and spirit of this pen. It slips so gently on the paper that it seems like magic. I put 9,9 just for one reason: it's a medium nib as for thi pen there is not a fine nib, which would have been the eight wonder!

4. Filling System & Maintenance: 8/10 Simple: cartridge or converter. I like de piston filler pens, but I must recognize that the big cartrigde are very confortable, clean and easy to use. The pen is also easy to clean and maintain.

5. Cost & Value: 9,5/10 I paid for it 974 €. Not a cheap one. In fact. it is the more expensive pen I've ever bought. But when I take it and start to write I feel is not a expensive pen. It's worth the cost.

6. Conclusion: Final score 9,5/10 Well, although it's difficult to say, I really think I've found my perfect fountain pen. It will be the last? I don't know, maybe. As i've said, I'm not a collector. If this pens gives me all I need when I write, I don't think I buy another one for a long period of time. Who knows...

Well, here there are some pics of the King and some pics with my others pens.

Edited by rogerico

Roger

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rogerico

• nicholasyeo

• RMN

• Silvermink

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not familiar with the size of this pen, only knowing it is large. Is the second pen an MB 149 or 146?

What else do we have in life if not to help each other?

I'm not familiar with the size of this pen, only knowing it is large. Is the second pen an MB 149 or 146?

The second pen is a MB 146. The KOP and MB 149 are very similar in size.

Roger

Edited by rogerico

Roger

I had no idea this was a c/c pen. Is the converter the standard small size or have they made it larger because the interior of the barrel is so large?

Congrats and thanks for the great review! Enjoy it forever!

Edited by dnb

What else do we have in life if not to help each other?

Very nice review. You said...... "Yes, it was a Sailor pen, a little one", your pictures didn't show up on your post, I had thought from pictures that I've seen that it's a one of the larger pens out there.

I very much like the look, design and proportions of the KOP, but I find it hard to see how they justify the price, even in this crazy little bubble of ours...

Very nice review. You said...... "Yes, it was a Sailor pen, a little one", your pictures didn't show up on your post, I had thought from pictures that I've seen that it's a one of the larger pens out there.

The one I tried in the shop was not the King of Pen. It was a little pen, the mini Professional Gear. As i wanted a bigger pen, I ordered the KOP

post-33908-034529600 1287253218.jpg

Roger

I very much like the look, design and proportions of the KOP, but I find it hard to see how they justify the price, even in this crazy little bubble of ours...

Yes, it may appear expensive, perhaps because of the ebonite, the 21 karat gold nib... But I assure you that writing with it is the best way to find it cheap. Once I was said that Sailor nibs were the best. Now I believe it's true.

Edited by rogerico

Roger

Thanks for the info.

The one I tried in the shop was not the King of Pen. It was a little pen, the mini Professional Gear. As i wanted a bigger pen, I ordered the KOP

Congratulations Roderico. I think out of the choices you identified that the Sailor and Pelikan 1000 would have been your best choices. Hope you enjoy it for many years to come and remember to take care the ebonite. I am partial to the pro gear KOP in silver trim.

It is a large sized pen, think MB 149. I previously had the vermilion one with gold trim but sold it.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_DTUiJGMLxHs/S5PNIKrO50I/AAAAAAAANvk/xsQuvx3bdz0/s912/P1030338.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_DTUiJGMLxHs/S5PNI_KnN2I/AAAAAAAANvs/0CDPYLwFlrs/s912/P1030339.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_DTUiJGMLxHs/S5PNKTe78ZI/AAAAAAAANv0/8tTM7UKfgFg/s912/P1030340.JPG

A. Don's Axiom "It's gonna be used when I sell it, might as well be used when I buy it."

It is a large sized pen, think MB 149. I previously had the vermilion one with gold trim but sold it.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_DTUiJGMLxHs/S5PNIKrO50I/AAAAAAAANvk/xsQuvx3bdz0/s912/P1030338.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_DTUiJGMLxHs/S5PNI_KnN2I/AAAAAAAANvs/0CDPYLwFlrs/s912/P1030339.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_DTUiJGMLxHs/S5PNKTe78ZI/AAAAAAAANv0/8tTM7UKfgFg/s912/P1030340.JPG

Wow, what a beautiful pen. I've never seen that before so thanks for sharing. I have to say, IMO it makes the 149, look, well quite average! Not many pens can do that. I think I need to start saving for the KOP - what an apt name.

Also, fantastic story to find your perfect pen - congratulations, and well done for not buying one of the other ones in the shop - it is very easy to think "well I'll buy it and give it a try"

:thumbup:

Lewis

Fountain pens aren't a collection, it's an insatiable obsession!

Shotokan Karate: Respect, Etiquette, Discipline, Perseverance

Yes, it may appear expensive, perhaps because of the ebonite, the 21 karat gold nib... But I assure you that writing with it is the best way to find it cheap. Once I was said that Sailor nibs were the best. Now I believe it's true.

Then again, the standard 1911 has a 21kt nib too (albeit a marginally smaller one in size), and that pen costs about a third or less of the price of the KOP. I know hardly anything of the production of ebonite, but I find it hard to believe the processes involved in making and using it add ~£300 to the price. It's the differential that gets to me - the KOP is surely a lovely pen, but from my own subjective perspective, to me it could not be worth a threefold multiple of a very similar pen (and I say that as someone for whom big pens really make a positive difference).

But, as you have discovered, a truly perfect pen destroys all worries about price. Much enjoyment of your KOP!

And I've more than once eaten my words on how much I was willing to pay for a pen, so who knows, maybe one of these decades...

i had a chance to try one out at Maido Stationary, in SF and was very impressed with its nib. simpley a great pen. thx for the review!

Wow, what a beautiful pen. I've never seen that before so thanks for sharing. I have to say, IMO it makes the 149, look, well quite average! Not many pens can do that. I think I need to start saving for the KOP - what an apt name.

Also, fantastic story to find your perfect pen - congratulations, and well done for not buying one of the other ones in the shop - it is very easy to think "well I'll buy it and give it a try"

:thumbup:

Lewis

Thanks! Well, It's hard to wait 5 months... but I'm very glad for not having bought another pen. I love the design of some italian pens, but the nib of the KOP is definitely my nib.

Roger

Edited by rogerico

Roger

Nice. I think I'm going to end up with a King Pro Gear one of these days.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple