Lamy 2000 Vs Pilot Vp

goodguy

This is one review which I thought not to do as these are two very different pens but since they are in the same price bracket and they show up in the same posts again and again I have decided to make this review.

Lamy and Pilot are not known for their high end pens.

Not that they don't make good pens they are simply known for making everyday pens good reliable pens.

The 2000 model and the VP are well known, well respected and loved by the pen community.

I find the 2 pens to be very different and directed to different tasks.

To me it looks like the Pilot is more of a "To Go" pen while the Lamy is a pen that is a more standard approach.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/Picture006-16.jpg

Design and weight

The VP's design saves you the trouble of uncapping the pen, you are always a click away from writing and you don't have the cap in your hand or posted at the barrels end.

The VP is slightly heavier then the Lamy and I find the Lamy's balance to be better.

To be honest the VP is a very well balanced pen and not heavy but I find the Lamy to be simply better.

The main complaint I have with the VP is the darn clip.

I know this issue will split among its users.

Some will love it and some not so much.

Those who really don't like it will not buy this pen.

It depends of your writing style.

If you need your finger to align with the nib then that means you will have the finger resting on the clip while writing.

I am one of these people and I admit I got used to write this way but no matter how much I will write like this it still feels a bit foreign and not in its place.

To me the clip is something you learn to live with but not to enjoy.

The Lamy is much easier to swallow.

It has a pretty standard approach.

I know of some who hold the section very high while writing so the "ears" who hold the cap will bother them.

From my experience most people don't hold the pen this high and this is not an issue for them.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/Picture009-11.jpg

Filling mechanism

VP is a cartridge converter.

It doesn't hold much ink but holds more then I remember from a former VP I used to own.

It will be enough for regular use.

Other then that the inside section is taken out to fill with ink.

I think this is great, there is no need to wipe the pens section from ink. Indeed you need to wipe slightly the nib but it is much faster and cleaner then other pens.

The Lamy 2000 has a classic piston filler, smooth and hold a good amount of ink.

To make it sweeter they put an ink view window. Kind of tiny but after a good look I can tell if there is ink and how much is in the pen.

Nib

VP has a real smooth nib that was my first impression of it and with some nice spring to it.

Looking at the naked nib you see a long , narrow and elegant piece of gold but I'll be honest not the most promising nib out there.

This all vanishes the moment you start writing.

Pilot engineers are good at what they do. Such a small nib so smooth and so flexible a true pleasure and very good ink flow.

My VP has an 18K gold and is medium that is close to a European fine.

The only complain is that I would like a bit more feedback.

The Lamy nib is a 14K semi hooded nib.

Its much firmer then the VP's but if the VP's nib was good then the Lamy is amazing.

Its very smooth with fabulous feedback.

It will write on almost any angle you put it and the flow is simply perfectly wet.

While the VP's nib gives you a smooth comfortable writing experience the Lamy adds excitment as well.

This is a pen you will use all day and want to come back for more.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/Picture013-10.jpg

Conclusion

This is a comparison review which as I stated I was a bit reluctant to write but since these 2 pens are compared again and again I decided to write this review maybe to help people who want to get one of these two.

The VP is in my eyes is the best pen to have on the go.

The design is so darn smart, simple and effective.

I saw an old design VP for sale and it had the clip lower on the barrel and that looked like the perfect solution to me.

Why did Pilot raised the clip so high then is beyond me.

The Lamy is a much "rounder" pen.

Its a great pen for light to heavy use.

Its both for the novice and the advance pen user.

Even for pocket carrying casual use its good because of the light weight and the slip cap compared to the more common twist.

As a to go pen the VP is better but for everything else I find the Lamy 2000 better.

The VP as I said is really a good pen but the Lamy is better.

Now what you are going to get is up to you.

Respect to all

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Smith

• goodguy

• tawanda

Top Posters In This Topic

Good comparison Amir, I own both a 2000 and a VP. Both pens have their roots in the 1960s and have an interesting history. I like them both and I would probably get another VP, maybe a in a grey metallic down the road.

Edited by Bill Smith

"Life moves pretty fast, if you do not stop and look around once and a while you might just miss it."

Ferris Bueller

Bill Smith's Photography

I have both, and love them for different reasons. The VP has the wow! factor, having no lid. The 2000 is somewhat utilitarian looking, which does put some folks off. Let's face it, its not a pretty pen.

I love the versatility of the VP. You can change the 'inners' very quicky so one body will house a varitey of nib widths. The Lamy is not versatile in this way, but it has the advantage of greater ink capacity, and I'm a sucker for piston fillers. I couldn't choose between the two so I say get 'em both!

Excellent comparison! My brother owns a VP and after breaking two other FP's that's the only one sturdy enough for him. Great pen!

Regards,

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

I have both, and love them for different reasons. The VP has the wow! factor, having no lid. The 2000 is somewhat utilitarian looking, which does put some folks off. Let's face it, its not a pretty pen.

I love the versatility of the VP. You can change the 'inners' very quicky so one body will house a varitey of nib widths. The Lamy is not versatile in this way, but it has the advantage of greater ink capacity, and I'm a sucker for piston fillers. I couldn't choose between the two so I say get 'em both!

Actually, having owned both these pens (before I rather generously gave away the Lamy 2000 in the 'pay it forward' thread)...

The Lamy's utilarian look is I believe one of it's strengths. I can keep it in my keys pocket, know it'll survive a drop or daily use and people are less envious of 'borrowing it' than if I'd left a MontBlanc lying around on a table. It also develop a gorgeous patina with prolonged use, as do any of the Lamy makrolon pens.

The nib units can be purchased from Lamy and it is very easy to disassemble the section grip to swap or clean the pen.

However, Lamy nibs are not exactly 'commonly sold seperate' and not cheap if purchased from Lamy. The Lamy 2K was my go to pen for a number of years with it's great writing characteristic, durability and ink capacity. The click on capis most convenient and it posts securely. What more could I want??? (okay, a celluloid MB 149 would be nice but I digress)

That said, lovely review!

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

wow this is just want I need. I had been thinking about the Lamy 2k or the VP for my next purchase...arghhh!

Thank you for the very nice insights of both pens :)

Currently Using: Pelikan M805