Edelstein Collection Review

GouletPens

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/TKBI7oWNv2I/AAAAAAAAA_A/bQoWwPAW4jc/s400/IMG_3471+copy.jpg

Since the Pelikan Edelstein inks landed in the US last week, there have been a lot of questions as to what these inks are like. There wasn't so much as a q-tip swab to indicate any of the 7 colors, so naturally everyone is curious!

I'll give a brief synopsis here in case you don't have the time or ability to watch the video. I know there was a lot of mystery and buzz about how these inks would perform. Just from the marketing materials and the 'hopes' of fountain pen enthusiasts, I think everyone was expecting very vibrant, saturated colors that flow very wet from the pen. This is just not the case. This is what I was expecting, and when I inked up Sapphire for the first time I would be lying if I said I wasn't a bit disappointed. It's not that the ink or the color is bad, just different than what I expected. Sort of like when you go to take a sip of your soda and it's actually iced tea....not that you don't like iced tea, it's just that you were expecting soda.

The inks are fairly dry writing, with the exception of Aventurine and Topaz. None of the colors are heavily saturated. They're advertised as a 'soft' ink, which I've now come to learn means not heavily saturated. The positive side of this is that the inks have incredible shading, which is highly desired with many fountain pen writing enthusiasts. The inks also perform extremely well on cheaper, more absorbent paper. So if you are forced to use 'crappy' paper at work, these inks will likely perform quite well.

I'm going to be doing a review of each Edelstein ink individually, but this is just a general overview 'reaction' video of my experience after playing with the 6 colors that are in (still waiting on Onyx). Let me know what you think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNa02Aulk-g

Brian Goulet</br><a href='http://www.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>www.GouletPens.com</a></br><a href='http://twitter.com/GouletPens' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>GouletPens on Twitter</a></br><a href='http://blog.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Goulet Pens blog</a>

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GouletPens

• SamCapote

• Bo Bo Olson

• Trom

Hi Brian,

thank you for the review. This Topaz looks interesting. I wonder how is it in compare with Iroshizuku Ku Jaku?

Waiting for the black one, to :)

I think the Aventurine looks nice, I couldn't see myself using any of the others though. The Ruby looks terrible, washed out and pink.

Hi,

Many thanks for doing a video - far more interesting than swabs! :thumbup:

The Edelstein 'profile' of dry writing with high shading is very appealing to me.

As this is a 'premium' ink, I doubt that Pelikan would expect consumers to switch from their 4001 series to the Edelstein series for daily writer 'work horse' applications. (?)

So, when one can choose their pen & paper for personal use, the Edelstein series offers another option for the fussy ones, like yours truly.

Enough of the zip & zap from the (over) saturated monotone drone, and welcome the flowing tonality of a high shading ink.

But - there's no Brown! Phooey!! An unfortunate error of omission.

Bye,

Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Thanks so much, Brian. This was a very satisfying and informative overview.

I actually kind of regret that the labels are etched rather than transparent stickers, as I love decanting my J. Herbins into fancier (more usable) bottles. It probably wouldn't be a big deal, but an unmarked bottle with the Edelstein aesthetic would've made me very happy.

I'm not (yet) a customer of yours, Brian, but you are to be highly commended for the honest review of the Edelstein inks. It's clear that you're a discerning ink purveyor who is well aware that his customers are equally discerning. In other words, you know not to blow any smoke at this crowd. :clap1:

Happiness is an Indian ED!

Thanks for the honest review. It was a pleasure to watch. I think I'll probably try the topaz, but the other inks don't seem that appealing.

Thanks for taking the time to do this review. I also appreciate your honesty.

I have to agree with Sandy that having no brown Edelstein ink is an error on Pelikan's part. I kind of like the Sapphire. To me it has a vinatge look. I also find the Ruby attractive. I bet I am in a minority on that one. The Mandarin looks good, but I tend to agree with you that a full page of it would be almost excessive. I have to think about these inks. I will probably try at least a couple of them.

Edited by FrankB

I didn't pay any attention to this ink so I didn't become aware of the buzz until maybe yesterday or so (I mean, very recently), so I very much appreciated your introduction to the Edelstein inks.

Being a sucker for packaging (small packaging, ink packaging... ink bottles, really), I will have to buy at least one bottle. Probably Onyx, as these other colors, although very pretty, are too light for my tastes. Onyx might very well be light, as well, but if it's on par with Waterman Black, I think I will like it.

When you write your reviews, Brian, would you mind commenting on the inks' waterproofness?

Thanks again for the video introduction to this new line of inks. Cheers!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

What a disappointment! I was expecting something entirely different. I'm particularly disappointed with the Sapphire. I was hoping for something more along the lines of Penman Sapphire. There are already too many purple-blue wishy-washy "Sapphire" inks on the market. I already have Herbin Eclat and Diamine Sapphire.

I can't see myself purchasing any of this ink. I might spring for samples though just so I can say I've tried it. :rolleyes:

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

May I ask you if The Edelstein Sapphire is similar to Herbin Eclat and Diamine Sapphire and/or Aurora blue, Visconti Blue and other blue inks? I could not quite see all words on your description.

Edited by Trom

Hi Brian,

thank you for the review. This Topaz looks interesting. I wonder how is it in compare with Iroshizuku Ku Jaku?

Waiting for the black one, to :)

They are VERY close in color. In fact, I have another video I'll be putting out comparing samples of a whole host of different brand/colors to the Edelsteins.

I'm glad everyone appreciates my honesty. Heck, I was just as excited as everyone else to try it, and it really was different than I thought it would be. It's a nice ink and has a place in the ink market, but I don't think it's going to light the ink world on fire purely on performance. It will surely have some fans though.

I'll be looking to get better pictures....the Ruby and Mandarin especially look worse on the video than in person, partly due to my lighting during filming. I'll try to get those up as soon as I can.

Brian Goulet</br><a href='http://www.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>www.GouletPens.com</a></br><a href='http://twitter.com/GouletPens' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>GouletPens on Twitter</a></br><a href='http://blog.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Goulet Pens blog</a>

Thank you! Excellent review! ;) We could do more inks & pen reviews like that. It's great and clear form of reviewing our pens and inks. Though

typed and written reviews are also important, easy to store for posterity and also a great source of information, with video review, we could pass

more information in a palatable and pleasant form. In addition, videos can be more informal, and a great opportunity to meet our friends hobby

around the world.

Fabricio

Thanks for the review! You're right, this is not what I expected.

Other than the packaging, I could put my Pelikan Blue-Black next to these new Edelstein inks and it has the exact same shading and writing characteristics. You put those inks in an old Pelikan bottle and sell it for 1/2 price, and I'm interested haha.

Thank you! Excellent review! ;) We could do more inks & pen reviews like that. It's great and clear form of reviewing our pens and inks. Though

typed and written reviews are also important, easy to store for posterity and also a great source of information, with video review, we could pass

more information in a palatable and pleasant form. In addition, videos can be more informal, and a great opportunity to meet our friends hobby

around the world.

Fabricio

Hi,

But I would need an entirely new 'on air' wardrobe! Each ensemble complementary to the ink being reviewed.

And a stunt woman / body double for the tricky bits.

So sorry, not for me. :huh:

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Brian,

Can you post an image of the page where you wrote out the names of the inks? The video is great, but it will be helpful to have the image as a quick reference. Thanks!

Brian,

I also think you did an excellent and precisely truthful review.

My first reaction after buying all the 6 colors from you is that these have the most beautiful box, bottle, feel, and presentation. The only comparisons are the Pilot Iroshizuku, Caran D' Ache, and maybe the old Visconti glass and Montblanc bottles. The mysterious "Edelstein" name, Pelikan packaging, and near-crystal looking bottle create an intoxicating expectation that it must contain a luscious, saturated, wonderfully flowing elixir of vibrant ink that even the best quality paper could not do it justice.

And then you ink your pen and start writing. :wacko:

It is like you are raging teen blissfully casting aside all risks of sudden blindness as you explore page after page of the latest National Geographic, and suddenly your mom sharply raps on the door: "What are you doing in there Sam, and why is this door locked?" :gaah: Or perhaps a more apt comparison is when Ralphie decodes his secret radio message from Little Orphan Annie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdA__2tKoIU

Montblanc's Irish Green makes Aventurine look like dishwater in comparison. None of these colors are distinctive, and other than shading--which many inks accomplish with a wet/wide nib--these are pedantically boring. The only saving grace is that they didn't ship the onyx, and fortuitously spared the brown color range from being tainted. I don't mind wasting the money...it's the crushing impact of failed expectations from a company of Pelikan's stature, and packaging that lures you into a seeming Tiffany wonderland. Once inside, you rudely discover that the KMart "Blue Light Special" flashing light had hypnotized your senses.

I'm just glad I tested these six inks with a glass dip pen so I didn't have to flush it out of a real fountain pen. Yeah, it was that bad in my humble experience. Every one of the 6 colors. :bonk:

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.